Survey... Rays 7%, Indians 93%...???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Survey... Rays 7%, Indians 93%...???

The current survey on Boston.com  on who do you want the Sox to face in the ALDS is a landslide. 

My question for you all...  Is this fear of the Rays,  or the desire to play someone different in the Indians?  Have the Rays gotten into the heads of the Sox,  and Sox fans so much that you consider the Indians the weaker foe,  or is it that we see the Rays 18-19 times a year as is and want to see something new?  Is it our everlasting respect for Tito that we wish him to win,  or the fear of facing Price, Longo et al in a short series?

For me,  it's a little of both,  to be honest.  I am sick of the Rays,  and fear them in a short series... and wish the better for Terry Francona over Madden and his bunch.

What say you all?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Survey... Rays 7%, Indians 93%...???

ditto! I watched the rays against the rangers. last thing we need is to have a streaking devilray team come into fenway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

ditto! I watched the rays against the rangers. last thing we need is to have a streaking devilray team come into fenway.

I'm with you,  but....  the Indians have won 10 in a row.  The Rays have had a crappy September and limped to the position they are in now.  Still,  I want the Indians in the PS.  I guess it's fear of Longo and Price in a short series. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Absolute no brainer.  The Rays have momentum and a terrific pitching staff.  If they win tonight, their games 1, 2, and 3 starters will be Moore, Price, and Cobb, all on normal rest.  I own exactly one autographed baseball, signed not too long about by the late, great Bob Feller, and it will be part of my in-game exhortations up until I think it ain't working. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think it is a no brainer also..1) The Rays are playoff tested....the Indians are not, 2) The Rays have starting pitching depth, the Indians do Not.....3) The Indians, though hot in September played some of the worst teams in the league and on the Season have a below 500 record versus teams with a winning record....I give them credit for beating up on the teams they were supposed to, but they are just not as good a team as Tampa is.....and 4) Despite Rodney's problems this year, the Rays still have a more reliable late Bullpen than the Indians d, even with JMast in the pen for the Tribe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I do not want the premonition to become a reality. Can you imagine the Rays, away team in Texas, Cleveland, Boston and A's or Detroit, winning the Division ? Price and Moore have been very tough on us and although in some games we get 2/3 runs 4/5 hits in 5 innings or so & can't get a key hit to put them away & they settle down & get stronger. And they seem to get very lucky scratching together runs to hits and even getting more runs than hits. I can't stand to look at Maddon.

The only benefit to playing Tampa, and I hate their stadium too, is that I would guess 25% of the fans would be rooting for Boston. I hope it does not come true, but I would feel less bad losing to Francona & the Indians.

Our series victory will come beating 2 Cal teams, I think, the A's & LA & I hope to wear my Boston strong t-shirt & "B" on my cap & attend some games here in SF and in la la land.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Both teams are going to be tough.

But, what worries me about the Rays is they go to Texas, play a 1 and done, then they go to Cleveland and play a 1 and done, if they win, they'll be as loose as they come. Wont be worried about coming to Boston and thinking they have to win.

Too many off days for the Sox, while the Rays have been playing for their play-off lives.....if they win.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I doubt TB isin the Sox head. We won the season series and they are mostly all seasoned vets that have been here before. The Fans on the other hand worry about everything and panic to no end.

I think the Tribe smoke Cobb tonight and we face them in the ALDS. Although a tougher oppontent, I have no issue facing the Rays either and have no fear of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Without question, Cleveland would be easier to beat. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's that starting pitching that can be very scary in a 5 game series.  If it were a 7 game series it would be a different story.

As far as the offense goes, just don't let Longo beat you the way Francona did game after game after game (from 2008 through 2011) - it was maddening.  He hit HR's in 4 straight games against our starters in the ALCS - Beckett BOOM, Lester BOOM, Wake BOOM, and Dice K BOOM! Why give him anything to hit?  Let Sean Rodriguez beat you!!!!!  I would get into the heads of The Rays big time but giving him IBB's every time up.  They rely so much on EL and to know he will be completely isolate and made to be irelevant may give the goofy genius a match he can't take.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I doubt TB isin the Sox head. We won the season series and they are mostly all seasoned vets that have been here before. The Fans on the other hand worry about everything and panic to no end.

I think the Tribe smoke Cobb tonight and we face them in the ALDS. Although a tougher oppontent, I have no issue facing the Rays either and have no fear of them.

I wear my worry and panic badges with pride. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

The indians Lose  to the Rays! I hope I'm wrong---they will have to have their A Game tonight.

14 of the Indians last 17 games were against Houston, the White Sox and Minn.

If Cobb is anywhere near his game forget Terry Francona coming to Boston on Fri. unless it's to be in the broadcast booth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Have the Rays gotten into the heads of the Sox,  and Sox fans so much that you consider the Indians the weaker foe, 

It has nothing to do with getting into heads.  The Indians are a weaker foe.  There isn't much more to it than that.  Moore is 2-0 with a 1.80.  Price is 2-2 with a 2.48 against us.  That represent a very serious challenge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

It's that starting pitching that can be very scary in a 5 game series.  If it were a 7 game series it would be a different story.

As far as the offense goes, just don't let Longo beat you the way Francona did game after game after game (from 2008 through 2011) - it was maddening.  He hit HR's in 4 straight games against our starters in the ALCS - Beckett BOOM, Lester BOOM, Wake BOOM, and Dice K BOOM! Why give him anything to hit?  Let Sean Rodriguez beat you!!!!!  I would get into the heads of The Rays big time but giving him IBB's every time up.  They rely so much on EL and to know he will be completely isolate and made to be irelevant may give the goofy genius a match he can't take.

You hit the nail right on the head Mitch. If the Sox played the Rays in a 7 game series I wouldn't be worried as much. (The LDS and LCS should both be 7 games series) I think the Rays are looking good and can beat the Red Sox. Right now they're beating the Tribe 3-0 so they are looking like the winner. I'm sure the experts on TBS, ESPN and MLB Network will spilt who they pick. I'm happy for a division title but I am very worried about the Rays. I hope I'm wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2nd Half Numbers:

Cobb    5-1  2.41  1.140

Price   7-3  2.87  1.003   LHP

Moore 4-1  2.93  1.326   LHP

Archer 5-4  3.39  1.104

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

2nd Half Numbers:

Cobb    5-1  2.41  1.140

Archer 5-4  3.39  1.104

Sox4ever

They will be tough, no doubt about it. Our SP will have to be excellent because their guys won't allow many runs. No one said it would be easy. I still like our chances.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

2nd Half Numbers:

Cobb    5-1  2.41  1.140

Archer 5-4  3.39  1.104

Sox4ever

They will be tough, no doubt about it. Our SP will have to be excellent because their guys won't allow many runs. No one said it would be easy. I still like our chances.

I do too.

2nd Half Sox:

Buch   3-1  1.88  1.042

Lest    7-2  2.57  1.186

Peavy  4-1  4.04  1.160

Lack    3-7  4.35  1.180

Very good numbers too.

I like our offense much better.

We have Uehara (ERA 0.28/ WHIP 0.313).

We have Breslow (0.65/0.976)

We have home field.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

2nd Half Numbers:

Cobb    5-1  2.41  1.140

Archer 5-4  3.39  1.104

Sox4ever

I do too.

2nd Half Sox:

Buch   3-1  1.88  1.042

Lest    7-2  2.57  1.186

Peavy  4-1  4.04  1.160

Lack    3-7  4.35  1.180

Very good numbers too.

I like our offense much better.

We have Uehara (ERA 0.28/ WHIP 0.313).

We have Breslow (0.65/0.976)

We have home field.

The key is going to be beating Moore in game 1 to put the pressure on Price on Sat. Buchholz should win his game on Sun, so if we can win game 1 Price will begin to feel the heat. Lose game one and I think we are in a lot of trouble in the series.

Sections
Shortcuts