Sutton vs. Navarro

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Sutton vs. Navarro

From my viewpoint, Sutton did a good job while he was here filling in at 3rd, SS and OF. Assuming he's brought back today, put him at 3rd for Youk tonight.

I don't see anything with Navarro that is compelling enough to play him over Sutton. Theo must have a man love about him.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Sutton vs. Navarro

In Response to Sutton vs. Navarro:
    From my viewpoint, Sutton did a good job while he was here filling in at 3rd, SS and OF. Assuming he's brought back today, put him at 3rd for Youk tonight. I don't see anything with Navarro that is compelling enough to play him over Sutton. Theo must have a man love about him. Thoughts?
    Posted by ADG

Theo's "man love" about him is that he's raked at every level while showing above average defense at SS.  Youk's injury is the perfect opportunity to get him consistent AB's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Yeah, Navarro started off pretty hot in AAA before the injury.  Although, between coming back from the DL and moving up to bigs I wonder if he needs some time to get his feet under him.  Sutton's been pretty good with the bat at both levels  so I'd be okay with seeing him up while YN gets it together in AAA but long term, YN has a lot of upside.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Navarro is a good defender at 6 positions.  He's an upgrade at at least 2.  That alone should give him the edge over Sutton, or at least the benefit of the doubt after 27 at-bats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Sutton vs. Navarro:
    Navarro is a good defender at 6 positions.  He's an upgrade at at least 2.  That alone should give him the edge over Sutton, or at least the benefit of the doubt after 27 at-bats.
    Posted by slomag
    This can not be over looked in an era where teams need to carry 12 pitchers. And if you question why 12 pitchers, I submit into to evidence last night's game.

If the playoffs were tomorrow and Jed Lowrie was not available, Sutton's maturity might matter a lot more but in late July it is nice to have a guy who can play so many positions, is an athletic fielder on the bench.

Also beware of just how small Navarro's sample sets are at the MLB level right now. They probably do not represent his abilities. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Sutton vs. Navarro : This can not be over looked in an era where teams need to carry 12 pitchers. And if you question why 12 pitchers, I submit into to evidence last night's game. If the playoffs were tomorrow and Jed Lowrie was not available, Sutton's maturity might matter a lot more but in late July it is nice to have a guy who can play so many positions, is an athletic fielder on the bench. Also beware of just how small Navarro's sample sets are at the MLB level right now. They probably do not represent his abilities.   
    Posted by fivekatz

In this era, long extra inning games make both teams losers, for what it does to their BP resource allocation dynamic (sometimes even SPs are used, and of course, this is usually, if ever, when a position player could be used, the Canseco incident notwithstanding; IMO every team has an emrgency P & C, and a P who can play in the field; see the 20 Inning StL game last yr as an example for all of this; my favorite, although I'm aging myself; in '68, the Yankees brought an aging Colavito to P for 3 innings; allowing 1 hit); for the losing team, it's even worse.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Last night there was a ball hit hard directly at Navarro, who turned and the ball was by him in an instant. Third base is called "the hot corner" for a reason, but you still have to get in front of the ball, knock it down and make the play. That didn't happen last night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Not to knock Navarro but the dude has barely played the OF at all and suddenly he's "a good defender at 6 positions". 

A little overstated I believe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Sutton vs. Navarro : In this era, long extra inning games make both teams losers, for what it does to their BP resource allocation dynamic (sometimes even SPs are used, and of course, this is usually, if ever, when a position player could be used, the Canseco incident notwithstanding; IMO every team has an emrgency P & C, and a P who can play in the field; see the 20 Inning StL game last yr as an example for all of this; my favorite, although I'm aging myself; in '68, the Yankees brought an aging Colavito to P for 3 innings; allowing 1 hit); for the losing team, it's even worse.
    Posted by nhsteven

Thus making the argument for roster expansion to 27 that much more pertinent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I know Sutton's minor league numbers were nothing special but he has looked good every time I have seen him with the big club this year. Great bunt today which ended up changing the game. The guy does a lot of things well. It's nice to have at least one guy on this team who can bunt.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I like Drew Sutton. I know he hasn't been anything special in his professional career, but he just looks like a guy who knows how to play and won't embarrass you with the stick or glove. He's a good utility player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If Youk needs a DL stint what's the plan? The Sox have been grooming Nate Spears as a super sub performer similar to YN. Spears is gritty and is more of a second or thirdbase performer.

Middlebrooks, in Portland, has shown some good power and has impressed this season. I would like to see a promotion like that--it gives that level player some additional incentive.

Hector Luna has been playing a pretty consistent 3 B with the PawSox and has a fair amount of Major League experience. 

Given the choice between YN and Sutton I would choose Sutton. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

After watching both players I would have to say Sutton. I like how he plays the game and he seems to be more comfortable up in the bigs right now than Navarro.

Im with MadMc, sometimes you gotta see what you have, and if Youk really is out for a little while here then I would say you have to give Middlebrooks a shot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I like them both but in the end only one will be on the Playoff roster - it will come down to who is hitting hotter in September......

Sections
Shortcuts