Sweeney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Sweeney

Gotta say as critical as some of us have been about the front office and this roster, Sweeney looks likes a nice aquisition.  If he gets double digit homers a real nice aquisition.  It certainly doesnt look like Sweeney will be going anywhere when Crawford comes back.  He also might be nice trade bait if the Sox fall out of contention.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Sweeney

I know it upsets a lot of people but we have 158 games until Ells kisses Red Sox Nation good bye. Between now and the trade deadline I hope he strutts his stuff and we get a chance to reap some rewards. Rewards meaning either leading the Sox to the playoffs or getting us a player or two or three.

If CC can return to pre Sox days and Ross and Sweeney exceed expectations that could be a solid OF until Kalish and Brentz reach the majors.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I thnk he's our next hitting star ....

:o)

Not our only one, just the next ...

If we are allowed to have one with no power...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Sweeney has a nice swing.  He just needs to work on his balance a little bit.  I mean.. he doesn't have to work extra but he just needs to have regular at bats and he can be the valuable asset at the bottom of the order. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sweeney": [QUOTE]I know it upsets a lot of people but we have 158 games until Ells kisses Red Sox Nation good bye. Between now and the trade deadline I hope he strutts his stuff and we get a chance to reap some rewards. Rewards meaning either leading the Sox to the playoffs or getting us a player or two or three. If CC can return to pre Sox days and Ross and Sweeney exceed expectations that could be a solid OF until Kalish and Brentz reach the majors. Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE] Ellsbury is under team control through the 2013 season, so if he leaves after 158 more games, it will be because he was traded...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Thanks Jasko for the correction, my faupah.

In Response to Re: Sweeney:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Sweeney": Ellsbury is under team control through the 2013 season, so if he leaves after 158 more games, it will be because he was traded...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I am wondering why, as big as he is, he has no power? Looking at his swing, it doesn't look like he makes a good weight shift and is hitting mainly with his arms.
    I'd like to work with him. He should be driving the ball better. I'll take the avg though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]I am wondering why, as big as he is, he has no power? Looking at his swing, it doesn't look like he makes a good weight shift and is hitting mainly with his arms. I'd like to work with him. He should be driving the ball better. I'll take the avg though.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Good observation.  It's too bad the sox don't have anyone on the coaching staff that understand the finer details of hitting like weight shift and using shoulders, hips, etc.
    Have you put in an application?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, he's a very nice ONE tool player

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

It's nice to see some sort of return from the Bailey trade.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sweeney": [QUOTE]Thanks Jasko for the correction, my faupah. In Response to Re: Sweeney : Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE] Anytime Madmc...your mind is probably already racing with Ellsbury off-season trade proposals! I'm sure it's something that may be considered...we'll see

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

GREAT article about the CLUTCHITUDE of sweeney!

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/04/10/meet-mr-ninth-inning-red-sox-outfielder-ryan-sweeney/

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Sweeney:
    [QUOTE]Gotta say as critical as some of us have been about the front office and this roster, Sweeney looks likes a nice aquisition.  If he gets double digit homers a real nice aquisition.  It certainly doesnt look like Sweeney will be going anywhere when Crawford comes back.  He also might be nice trade bait if the Sox fall out of contention.
    Posted by mthomas43[/QUOTE]

Double digits in home runs? Am i wrong on this but is doesn't Sweeney have about 14 hrs in over 1000+ at bats??? Would that make him a big weak guy ??? Any info on this??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

He's an OBP guy but he did have 5/6 HR per season a couple years ago and he's entering his age 27 season so it isn't out of the realm of reason that he could have a 12-13 HR year.  I'm not counting on it, but it wouldn't be shocking either.  If he provides good D, gets on base and shows some gap power I'd be happy enough.  Basically just needs to live up to his vRHP career numbers in my book.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Sweeney": Ellsbury is under team control through the 2013 season, so if he leaves after 158 more games, it will be because he was traded...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

Regarding Sweeney, he has been Mr. Clutch so far this year.  I think double digit HR talk is probably a bit premature since he has 1 HR each of the last 2 years and 14 in his career.