Sweeny let go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Sweeny let go

From ESPNBoston.com:

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Red Sox informed nonroster outfielder Ryan Sweeney on Thursday night they were not purchasing his contract, which means the team intends to keep first baseman-outfielder Mike Carp and rookie outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. 

Bradley said he has not been told anything yet, but the announcement appears a mere formality. Bradley singled in a run in his only at-bat in Thursday night's 6-1 win over theMinnesota Twins, raising his spring batting average to .441 (26-for-59) with 12 RBIs and 12 runs scored. 

Bradley was a nonroster invitee, so a spot on the 40-man roster must be created for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Sweeny let go

Hot off the presses!  Yeah baby.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I like Sweeney more than Nava since he is a much better fielder. How ever I think the 3 CFers the Sox have playing for them is going to make up for a lot of that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nava is a very capable on-base guy.  That's his major asset...I think he can keep up an OBP of .360 or better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Nava is a very capable on-base guy.  That's his major asset...I think he can keep up an OBP of .360 or better.

Plus Nava has shown that he can play 1st now too.That gave him a edge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I might have taken Sweeney over Carp. Tough call. Anyway , it looks like Bradley made it.  Good for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I might have taken Sweeney over Carp. Tough call. Anyway , it looks like Bradley made it.  Good for him.

Sweeneys assets consisted of playing every OF position (well) and getting on base at a decent clip. We have 3 CF'ers on the roster who can play every spot in the OF. Carp and Nava get on base at a good clip (Carp not so much in comparison to Nava) and both of them can play first base if need be. Sweeny was redundant at this point.

I like him a lot and hope he gets a FT job and finally finds that power stroke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Hitting better from the right side this year certainly didn't hurt Nava's chances.

If Sweeney hasn't found his power stroke by now, he never will.

Personally, I'd rather see Bradley in center and Ellsbury in left.  Of course, it will never happen, but it's nice to dream.  Besides, the move would drive Boras crazy which certainly would be worth the cost of admission.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sweeney has a better career OBP vs RHPs than Victorino and Gomes, but Nava's is even better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I was surprised that Globe columnist Nick Cafardo tweeted this morning that the Red Sox were among teams interested in Seattle outfielder Casper Wells, who is out of options:

https://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/317264324689268737

http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/3/28/4156534/red-sox-casper-wells-mariners-spring-training-2013

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2020664055_mariners29.html

I'm not sure the Red Sox have a roster slot for Wells, although this admittedly biased Mariner fan would prefer the 28-year-old Wells to 32-year-old Boston outfielder Jonny Gomes, who is assured a slot with his $10 million contract.

Gomes has a OPS+ of 109 and a WAR* of 3.85 in 880 career games while Wells has an OPS+ of 110 and a WAR of 4.42 in 224 career games. Unlike Gomes, Wells derives much of his value from his fielding.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gomesjo01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wellsca01.shtml

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Seattle probably keeps Wells though I would think. They could use him. Is that their thinking Hill? You would know.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

This should open up a roster spot for Wastefield or Varitek.

Carp is truly a bum. This is Cherry's pipe dream. They have Nava, so they don't need the small fish. With Bradley and Shane, they certainly have no need for Sweeney, either.

When someone wants to make an attempt to defend this management team, get back to me.

So, no Carp and no Sweeney. Who's your 25th man?

Own up, clown.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

This should open up a roster spot for Wastefield or Varitek.

Carp is truly a bum. This is Cherry's pipe dream. They have Nava, so they don't need the small fish. With Bradley and Shane, they certainly have no need for Sweeney, either.

When someone wants to make an attempt to defend this management team, get back to me.

They don't follow your suggestions, so that is OK with me...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Sweeney was expendable.  The Sox have 3 excellent OF, no need for another who can't hit for power.  He had power potential but couldn't get it done.  Oakland fleeced us on this one.  JBJ is the new era.  Go Sox!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Rick Miller wasn't a Power Hitter, but a darn good ballplayer. Sweeney reminded me of him.

Miller was a much better hitter than Sweeney.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

From ESPNBoston.com:

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Red Sox informed nonroster outfielder Ryan Sweeney on Thursday night they were not purchasing his contract, which means the team intends to keep first baseman-outfielder Mike Carp and rookie outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. 

Bradley said he has not been told anything yet, but the announcement appears a mere formality. Bradley singled in a run in his only at-bat in Thursday night's 6-1 win over theMinnesota Twins, raising his spring batting average to .441 (26-for-59) with 12 RBIs and 12 runs scored. 

Bradley was a nonroster invitee, so a spot on the 40-man roster must be created for him.

Someone call Hal.

Sweeney makes more sense for the yankees.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Rick Miller wasn't a Power Hitter, but a darn good ballplayer. Sweeney reminded me of him.

Miller was a much better hitter than Sweeney.

I shook Rick Miller's hand once.It was like holding a cold,dead fish.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

From ESPNBoston.com:

Bradley more than earned a place on the 40 man roster, as did Ciriaco last season over Punto.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I never cared for Sweeney much, he is a top defensive ofer, but he has no ceiling and with Brentz and Linares at AAA there wasn't much reason to keep him around.

Do they still have Maier?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I never cared for Sweeney much, he is a top defensive ofer, but he has no ceiling and with Brentz and Linares at AAA there wasn't much reason to keep him around.

I haven't heard anything him being cut. Not sure where he would fit in in an already overcrowded Pawtucket outfield though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Seattle probably keeps Wells though I would think. They could use him. Is that their thinking Hill? You would know.

Casper Wells, who is out of options, apparently is not among the five outfielders the Mariners reportedly plan to keep: Michael Morse, Michael Saunders, Franklin Gutierrez, Raul Ibanez and Jason Bay. The final outfield slot comes down to Jason Bay or Casper Wells:

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2020664055_mariners29.html

I would pick Wells for on-field performance, but the Mariners are looking for mentors for their talented young hitters and Bay might fill that role (as Ibanez certainly does).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I haven't heard anything him being cut. Not sure where he would fit in in an already overcrowded Pawtucket outfield though.

I believe he also has an opt-out today.

Sections
Shortcuts