SWEET CAROLINE IS A WINNER!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: SWEET CAROLINE IS A WINNER!!!!!!

I wonder if the cathedral plays "New York, New York" when they lose? I really don't know. I think the song is OK, but it should be played where it fits, not as a rule. If the Sox are winning, then "good times never seemed so good" makes more sense than just playing it no matter what is going on because then it just seems like mocking the circumstances, or the "good times" are for the other team. JMO

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if the cathedral plays "New York, New York" when they lose? I really don't know. I think the song is OK, but it should be played where it fits, not as a rule. If the Sox are winning, then "good times never seemed so good" makes more sense than just playing it no matter what is going on because then it just seems like mocking the circumstances, or the "good times" are for the other team. JMO

[/QUOTE]

That begets the question-most teams lose at least 30 times at home.  Do fans have to act miserable 30+ times, or can they just always have a good time, knowing that 30+ losses are inevitable?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a great song!  It gets 30+ thousand Sox fans on their feet, winning or losing, & adds to the enjoyment of the Fenway experience.  Some die hard, life long Sox fans, like myself, need to get a life.  RELAX!  ENJOY!  TAKE A CHILL PILL!  STOP TAKING YOUR PURIST SELF SO SERIOUSLY! 

I've loved this team for close to a half century, & the pink hats don't bother me one bit.  If they are simply jumping on board for a fun cruise, what the hell do I care???  Some people simply can't life their own lives, & stop worrying about what others are doing.  Holy shnikies!  Get a life!

[/QUOTE]

It's not even a issue of being a pink hat.  Pink hats are generally defined as those that jumped on the bandwagon in 2004 or after.  They've played the song long before that.

And as someoen else pointed out, we just played it because other sports teams played it.

And I doubt it would've even caught on as a tradition unless people liked it.  I don't particularly care for YMCA, but the NYY crowd loves it, so they play it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a great song!  It gets 30+ thousand Sox fans on their feet, winning or losing, & adds to the enjoyment of the Fenway experience.  Some die hard, life long Sox fans, like myself, need to get a life.  RELAX!  ENJOY!  TAKE A CHILL PILL!  STOP TAKING YOUR PURIST SELF SO SERIOUSLY! 

I've loved this team for close to a half century, & the pink hats don't bother me one bit.  If they are simply jumping on board for a fun cruise, what the hell do I care???  Some people simply can't life their own lives, & stop worrying about what others are doing.  Holy shnikies!  Get a life!

[/QUOTE]

It's not even a issue of being a pink hat.  Pink hats are generally defined as those that jumped on the bandwagon in 2004 or after.  They've played the song long before that.

And as someoen else pointed out, we just played it because other sports teams played it.

And I doubt it would've even caught on as a tradition unless people liked it.  I don't particularly care for YMCA, but the NYY crowd loves it, so they play it.

[/QUOTE]

LOL. "Good times never seemed so good" or "It's fun to play at the WMCA"? OK we definitely got the better deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

In response to REBEL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

STANDING WITH THE 35000+ AND LOUDLY SINGING "SWEET CAROLINE"!  IF YOU DON'T APPRECIATE THAT, STEVE...BE GONE!!!

[/QUOTE]

It's especially special when they play it and the Sox are down 8-0.  That sends shivers down my spine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

YEARS AND COUNTING! (SINCE AGE  8) , SADLY, I HAVE ONLY

BEEN TO FENWAY 3 TIMES...BUT THE TOTAL WILL MOUNT.  EACH TIME, I TOTALLY ENJOYED

STANDING WITH THE 35000+ AND LOUDLY SINGING "SWEET CAROLINE"!  IF YOU DON'T APPRECIATE THAT, STEVE...BE GONE!!!

[/QUOTE]

Wow, never thought I see the day that a longtime Red Sox fan would advocate the Pinkhat nation song played during the 8th inning of home games at Fenway Park.

First off, the song was written and played by a lifelong Yankee fan, and the person it is written about has lived in NY most of her life.

Secondly, the pink hats sing this stupid song even when the Red Sox are getting their butts kicked...case in point, I attended the the Sox/Yankee game last season where the Sox jumped out to a 9-0 lead for Doubront but after 6 innings the bullpen came in and handed the Yanks two 7 run innings by the 8th inning...I was humiliated but then "the song' started and the pinkhats started singing like it was a celebration. I blame the Red Sox for even starting this song in these situations, but why would you feel like singing when your team is getting their butts kicked by their most intense rival??

PLEASE GET RID OF THIS STUPID SONG...if you want a song use Dirty Water by the Standells or Boston by Augustana.

[/QUOTE]

Standells were an LA band, and the song was written by their manager Ed Cobb.  Why not pick a song by a real Boston band like the Remains?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That begets the question-most teams lose at least 30 times at home.  Do fans have to act miserable 30+ times, or can they just always have a good time, knowing that 30+ losses are inevitable?

[/QUOTE]

OK. I see your point. But not singing the song in the 7th wouldn't necessarily mean that you're miserable. They could have a more neutral song, and sing Sweet Caroline at the end when they win.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It lasts two minutes between innings....what harm, or difference, does it really make?? I doubt many attending the game care, either way.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I actually like the song.

I agree that there are times -- blowing a big lead and losing, for example -- where it seems out of place, but overall -- what's the harm.

I personally believe in a big tent -- there's room for hardcore Sox fans, casual fans, and pinkhats (however you want to describe them). The more the merrier. The too serious fan can learn from the pinkhats to lighten up a bit and have fun, and the pinkhats can learn from the serious fan how to be a more intelligent fan. 

Let's all get along.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i went to a lot of games as a kid and young man many moons ago, i dont remember sweet caroline being a part of it...any person who suggest this song is a "winner" needs serious musical therapy....there are literally a zillion songs out there that would be an improvement....liking it is OK but saying this is part of the red sox fan experience is silly

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to REBEL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

EL STUPIDO, STEVE BUCKLEY, OF THE HERALD, DOES NOT WRITE NICE THNGS ABOUT SWEET

CAROLINE!  I WON'T SAY "GO TO HELL, STEVE BUCKLEY,"  BUT HOW ABOUT GO TO PITTSBURGH?

AS A LIFELONG REDSOX FAN 63 YEARS AND COUNTING! (SINCE AGE  8) , SADLY, I HAVE ONLY

BEEN TO FENWAY 3 TIMES...BUT THE TOTAL WILL MOUNT.  EACH TIME, I TOTALLY ENJOYED

[/QUOTE]

Wow, never thought I see the day that a longtime Red Sox fan would advocate the Pinkhat nation song played during the 8th inning of home games at Fenway Park.

First off, the song was written and played by a lifelong Yankee fan, and the person it is written about has lived in NY most of her life.

Duh ... sorry.  The song wasn't written by a "she" or a Yanqui fan.  It was written by Neil Diamond, commonly known as a "he" - though many "she's" long had a hankering for him.  Not only that, but Diamond is a life long Brooklyn Dodgers fan.   The Yanquis are only a painful substitute for the Dodgers.

Secondly, the pink hats sing this stupid song even when the Red Sox are getting their butts kicked...case in point, I attended the the Sox/Yankee game last season where the Sox jumped out to a 9-0 lead for Doubront but after 6 innings the bullpen came in and handed the Yanks two 7 run innings by the 8th inning...I was humiliated but then "the song' started and the pinkhats started singing like it was a celebration. I blame the Red Sox for even starting this song in these situations, but why would you feel like singing when your team is getting their butts kicked by their most intense rival??

PLEASE GET RID OF THIS STUPID SONG...if you want a song use Dirty Water by the Standells or Boston by Augustana.

Don't let the moment erase the pleasure countless fans have enjoyed, winning or losing.  Just because the bull pen blew it, doesn't mean the rest should be blown up.  I loved the song as a kid and still do.  I found it remarkable that the Fenway faithful use it.  Loved it and shared it with my wife. 

If I'm a pink hat, sobeit.  I've been a Red Sox fan since 1962, win or lose.

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BannedOnTheRun--1918's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well,pike, if you actually followed baseball you would know they used toplay the Sinatra version when they win and the Liza Minnelli version when they lost.

Now it's always the Sinatra version.

[/QUOTE]

Brink back the Liza Minelli version!  And now that I'm aware of this tidbit, we'll welcome Liza Minnelli as the Master of Ceremonies who will lead the chorus for the next Smiley-Beni Day (the day the NY Yankees season ends without a World Series Crown).