Tabula Rosa...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Tabula Rosa...

Forgive the play on words ...

but while I admire those of the fan base that has continued on through this most ... um ... challenging of off seasons, I admit to the fact that I don't have the vision or knowledge to work through the vast unknowns involved in rebuilding the team.   While we have had a core, the remaining work has seemed as open and unclear as the famed "tabula rasa."

I have been too busy to spend a lot of time here, but truth be told, I have felt really wary about the thin FA market.  As a positive rooter of decisions made and teammates found, I was really uncertain what could be done after the top targets of Josh and Zach.  Underwhelmed by Napoli and the Flying Hawaiian and satisfied but wary about lifelong NL-er Dempster ... I am again drinking the kool aid.  Napoli isn't on board yet and have a personal liking of Swisher, I can still feel somewhat positive about the cards in the hand.

Farrell will help bring Lester and Buch back to top notch arms, Lackey may  - ahem - may become a Bulldog of positive force, and Felix will become a Prince ... and Dempster will help greatly, especially if managed away from heavy bat teams.

I am looking forward to the twin speed of Els and Victorino, the core strength of Pedey, Papi and Napoli (?) - and the maturing of several of our farm players.

I was whole heartedly and throatedly behind the acquisitions of the fellas that now wear Dodger blue and this hot stove season is certainly a clear departure from their acquisitions (except Punto, of course).  It is the most uncertain off season for me since the ones prior to my use of on-line communications. 

I am guilty of being a life long Red Sox colored glasses wearer.  Proudly so.  It is painful when the Sox lose, but I am always FOR them.  The last player I was sternly against was Jack Clark - but that was more a matter of youthful ignorance than targetted disfavor.  We attained him when he was at the end of a remarkable career and was still being paid $3 million a year for his services.  That was a huge sum back then.  

So, I give my tentative approval of Ben's moves this year.  BV's gone, Farrell and the new club house building players bring about change in attitude and hunger.  The enemy will be the guys in the OTHER clubhouse .... and finally feel good about things again.

Enjoy the season ahead!  May the youn guns prosper and the rest play with a team centered flair!

Go SOX!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Re: Tabula Rosa...

Nice post SY. I'm looking forward to the start of the season and will root for whoever wears the uniform.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Hi Baldy.   Thanks .  I'm with ya 100%. 

Have a great Christmas (or Hannukkah ... )!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Compared to the knowledge, expertise, experience, scouting, and resources of the front office and their huge staff, most of us are in comparison "Tabula Rasa". Most of us will admit to that.

Pike,

Carl Crawford  $142M
    Daisuke Matsuzaka “ $103.1M
    John Lackey  $82.5M
    J.D. Drew “ $70M
    Edgar Renteria “ $40M
    Julio Lugo “ $36M
    Matt Clement  $25.8M
    Keith Foulke “ $20.25M
    Mike Cameron “ $15.5M

Obsequeous = Obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree.

Root for the laundry no matter what, but don't forget. 

"The highest form of human excellence is to question oneself and others,"  Socrates

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

You make everything so binary as if a GM is either 100% wrong or 100% right.

I concede that the FO is much more capable of making decisions than SixPack Joe in his armchair and you don't. No need to feud over it. Have a good day.

[/QUOTE]

How far does one go with this philosophy?

Frank McCourt had a failed bid to buy the Sox, then turning to LA.  Should Dodger fans have trusted him and his FO to have their best interests in mind?  Did his FO lack knowledge, expertise, experience, scouting, and resources?

Is Donald Tokowitz (Strerling), the Clippers owner competent, and does he have the best interests of his fans in mind?

How about Haywood Sullivan?  An ex-player and demoted baseball operations manager, who turned a $200k investment in to $33M despite the Fisk/Lynn debacle.  Would your obsequiousness  stretch to him Pike?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

but while I admire those of the fan base that has continued on through this most ... um ... challenging of off seasons, I admit to the fact that I don't have the vision or knowledge to work through the vast unknowns involved in rebuilding the team.   While we have had a core, the remaining work has seemed as open and unclear as the famed "tabula rasa."

I have been too busy to spend a lot of time here, but truth be told, I have felt really wary about the thin FA market.  As a positive rooter of decisions made and teammates found, I was really uncertain what could be done after the top targets of Josh and Zach.  Underwhelmed by Napoli and the Flying Hawaiian and satisfied but wary about lifelong NL-er Dempster ... I am again drinking the kool aid.  Napoli isn't on board yet and have a personal liking of Swisher, I can still feel somewhat positive about the cards in the hand.

Farrell will help bring Lester and Buch back to top notch arms, Lackey may  - ahem - may become a Bulldog of positive force, and Felix will become a Prince ... and Dempster will help greatly, especially if managed away from heavy bat teams.

I am looking forward to the twin speed of Els and Victorino, the core strength of Pedey, Papi and Napoli (?) - and the maturing of several of our farm players.

I was whole heartedly and throatedly behind the acquisitions of the fellas that now wear Dodger blue and this hot stove season is certainly a clear departure from their acquisitions (except Punto, of course).  It is the most uncertain off season for me since the ones prior to my use of on-line communications. 

I am guilty of being a life long Red Sox colored glasses wearer.  Proudly so.  It is painful when the Sox lose, but I am always FOR them.  The last player I was sternly against was Jack Clark - but that was more a matter of youthful ignorance than targetted disfavor.  We attained him when he was at the end of a remarkable career and was still being paid $3 million a year for his services.  That was a huge sum back then.  

So, I give my tentative approval of Ben's moves this year.  BV's gone, Farrell and the new club house building players bring about change in attitude and hunger.  The enemy will be the guys in the OTHER clubhouse .... and finally feel good about things again.

Enjoy the season ahead!  May the youn guns prosper and the rest play with a team centered flair!

Go SOX!

[/QUOTE]

I can appreciate this, SY. Well put, yet again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Steve.  Merry Christmas and enjoy the new season ... the landscape has changed a great deal for both of our teams in the ALE.  Interesting times. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Steve.  Merry Christmas and enjoy the new season ... the landscape has changed a great deal for both of our teams in the ALE.  Interesting times. 

[/QUOTE]

Ancient Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BTW, your thread title was also a famous music piece by the Estonian composer Ärvö Pärt. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ancient Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times.

[/QUOTE]

Fortunately, Carnie, I'm not an ancient Chinese ....   :o)

Just ancient.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BTW, your thread title was also a famous music piece by the Estonian composer Ärvö Pärt. 

[/QUOTE]

{8oD     I'm a little thin on my Estonian ... but I'll check it out.  I love Estonian Martins.  Vrrrm

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

[QUOTE]

Go SOX!

[/QUOTE]

In refering to myself, I would prefer to referenced as "scraped tablet", im certianly not blank. Merry Christmas my friend.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[/QUOTE]

In refering to myself, I would prefer to referenced as "scraped tablet", im certianly not blank. Merry Christmas my friend.

[/QUOTE]

Always make me smile, my friend!  I suppose I can't help it with El Tiante smiling along.   Merry Christmas!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Yaz, good post. I too have been away a while. The off season changes were very welcome and not like the winter of A-Gon. His signing moved an all-star 1B to a different position, where is the wisdom in that? It pushed an all star 3B to Texas and brought in a LF, who, other than not being in the Tampa line-up when we faced them, had no other redeeming quality. Curious indeed. The winter's aquisitons have at least begun with aforethought. Getting out of the gate in respectable fashion will go a long way to restoring proper world order. Toronto reminds me of "The Best Team Ever". Be careful what you pay for.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yaz, good post. I too have been away a while. The off season changes were very welcome and not like the winter of A-Gon. His signing moved an all-star 1B to a different position, where is the wisdom in that? It pushed an all star 3B to Texas and brought in a LF, who, other than not being in the Tampa line-up when we faced them, had no other redeeming quality. Curious indeed. The winter's aquisitons have at least begun with aforethought. Getting out of the gate in respectable fashion will go a long way to restoring proper world order. Toronto reminds me of "The Best Team Ever". Be careful what you pay for.

[/QUOTE]

Welcome back youkillus. I think Toronto's 2013 offseason trophy should go on the shelf right next to the Red Sox' from 2011.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to youkillus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Youk.  Welcome back.  And Happy New Year!   I know the sequence sounds poor now, but I was all for it.  I honestly didn't see Boras making a good deal with us over Beltre, so I thought of him as gone.  And who knew Crawford would fold like he did?  OMG, I have never been so ... underwhelmed.  Alas, all things are new - or so it seems with our white covering of 8" of snow ... and more on the way.   :o)  Did I see a thread about spring training?  Off to shovel some more ...

Sections
Shortcuts