Take This To The Bank

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidinNV. Show DavidinNV's posts

Take This To The Bank

I'm a professional fortune teller, so I'm going to make a prediction you can bet the mortgage on.

Leading off virtually every game for the Red Sox from now until season end, Jacoby Ellsbury will bluff a bunt on the first pitch.

Advance scouts don't pay attention to tells like this, so they will not notice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Take This To The Bank

LOL, and true

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Be nice if could actually bunt, instead of leave 5 runners on base.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

good point soft, Ells is one of he worst lead off hitters in baseball.  and what is with that reverse pivot thing, that will never work out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Take This To The Bank:
    Be nice if could actually bunt, instead of leave 5 runners on base.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Jacoby has been in a mini slump of late but the team would never be as good this season without him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I get the idea to work the count , but it is not advisable to constantly take a called strike one.  You have got to mix it up sometimes.   Should not be so predictable.  Few , if any , hitters are better when behind in the count.  And , yes, of course the advance scouts notice things like this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Pretending for a moment that I understand every nuance of the game.... which I admittedly don't....

While a agree with working the count - who can argue with something that obviously works? - I also think a hitter should be in position to hit every pitch.  I also think that each hitter is looking for a strike he can hit.  Not necessarily any strike, but one he feels he can hit.  There's nothing wrong with taking a strike if you don't think you can "hande it".

Getting back to this thread for a moment, it's possible that Ells is looking for a pitch he can bunt on that first pitch.  Possible, but I doubt it.  I have to wonder how many times he's faked the bunt only to look at a strike he could have hit soundly. 

Of course, I'm second-guessing an MVP candidate here and he probably knows more about his hitting strategy than I do.  :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In Response to Take This To The Bank:
    I'm a professional fortune teller, so I'm going to make a prediction you can bet the mortgage on. Leading off virtually every game for the Red Sox from now until season end, Jacoby Ellsbury will bluff a bunt on the first pitch. Advance scouts don't pay attention to tells like this, so they will not notice.
    Posted by DavidinNV

Seriously, who takes more first pitches per at-bat, Pedey backing away from the plate, or Ells faking a bunt?  Anybody have the stats on that one?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Bluffing a bunt on the first pitch is a great play to move the 3rd baseman in a little.....IF you actually bunt once in a while....otherwise it is a waste of time and maybe the best pitch you will see in the whole AB.It is a shame that a guy with Ells speed hasnt mastered the art of bunting. Some guys seem to look at it as not macho.....they should look at Jeter....future HOF and a great bunter

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Take This To The Bank : Jacoby has been in a mini slump of late but the team would never be as good this season without him.
    Posted by craze4sox

I know how you hate to let facts get in the way. All that data that keeps proving you wrong is so frustrating, isn't it?

But, how mini is Jacoby's slump?

He was 1 for 3 last night with a BB (BA .333/.500 OBP)
    He's 3 for his last 10 with 2 BB (BA .300/.417 OBP)
    He's 5 for his last 15 (.333) with 3 doubles and a triple.
    He's 8 for his last 25 (.320) with 3 doubles,a triple and an HR.

I guess if you cherry-pick just the past 5 games, you could say he is in a mini-slump, but go back 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9.... he's not.

He's got a .923 OPS the last 14 days, a .912 OPS the last 28 days and an .878 OPS in August.

I hope he slumps like this all next year too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Take This To The Bank : I know how you hate to let facts get in the way. All that data that keeps proving you wrong is so frustrating, isn't it? But, how mini is Jacoby's slump? He was 1 for 3 last night with a BB (BA .333/.500 OBP) He's 3 for his last 10 with 2 BB (BA .300/.417 OBP) He's 5 for his last 15 (.333) with 3 doubles and a triple. He's 8 for his last 25 (.320) with 3 doubles,a triple and an HR. I guess if you cherry-pick just the past 5 games, you could say he is in a mini-slump, but go back 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9.... he's not. He's got a .923 OPS the last 14 days, a .912 OPS the last 28 days and an .878 OPS in August. I hope he slumps like this all next year too.
    Posted by moonslav59

All I meant was Jacoby hasn't been driving many available runs recently, or had many multiple hit games.  I don't need your stats to see this moon.  He is a huge part of our clubs success but you have to at least admit this.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

FYI...if you're not swinging at the first pitch, faking the bunt does a couple of things it keeps the hitters eyes focused on the ball and in some cases, lead to a pitcher throwing a ball.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Take This To The Bank:
    I'm a professional fortune teller, so I'm going to make a prediction you can bet the mortgage on. Leading off virtually every game for the Red Sox from now until season end, Jacoby Ellsbury will bluff a bunt on the first pitch. Advance scouts don't pay attention to tells like this, so they will not notice.
    Posted by DavidinNV

This is your first post, so don't be surprised if others, besides me ( the biggest skeptic alive), do not take the "professional fortune teller" part seriously.

Besides many fortune tellers are bogus, many others are gypsies, and even more are bogus gypsies, and nobody likes gypsies.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidinNV. Show DavidinNV's posts

ZILLAGOD: Did you really think I expected to be taken seriously? It's called irony, or sarcasm, or whatever you want to call it. Anyway, Ells comes up for the first time against Hughes shortly after I post this, so we can have a post-AB discussion. I'd love to be wrong, but my sense is not only is he faking the bunt each of his leadoff first pitches, but most of them are called strikes, too.

Here's the BIG problem: Boras is his agent, so how much is it going to cost to keep him?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidinNV. Show DavidinNV's posts

OK, tonight's game is history and of course our BoSox won.

But back to the first pitch in the bottom of the first.

We join our announcer for the game in progress.

"Ellsbury comes to the plate, and here's the first pitch. Ellsbury bluffs a bunt and takes the pitch for ...A CALLED STRIKE!"

"Join us for tomorrow night's game when the immortal J.R. Burnett takes the mound for the Bronx Bombers and Ellsbury bluffs a bunt on the first pitch."

We leave you with this eternal question: If soft tosses on an intentional walk are included in the pitcher's pitch count, why aren't harder throws to first base on attempted pickoffs, or to keep the runner close, also included in the pitch count? Baseballl is indeed a strange game. 

Sections
Shortcuts