Tampa and New York

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tampa and New York

Tied atop the AL East, 3.5 ahead of the Sox.  Lost in the numbers of how many wins the Sox can get, when they will get to .500, etc is the simple fact that both those teams have been tough outs for 3 years or so.  So, while beating any team is important, beating those two is a little more so. 

To date the Sox have played the Rays twice, losing both, and the Yankees three times, winning two of three.  So there's a lot more head to head still to go with, it would now appear, a lot at stake. 

This Fri-Sun, three at Yankee Stadium.  Big deal?  Well, I'm guessing Francona, given the off day on Thursday, will start Buchholz, Beckett, and Lester--and let Matsuzaka wait until Monday to pitch again. 

The Yankees, is must be noted, are hitting a lot of dingers, most in MLB and about 10 ahead of the next best team.  They hit almost 2 a game, and the Sox hit a little under 1 per game. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Tampa and New York

In Response to Tampa and New York:
    Tied atop the AL East, 3.5 ahead of the Sox.  Lost in the numbers of how many wins the Sox can get, when they will get to .500, etc is the simple fact that both those teams have been tough outs for 3 years or so.  So, while beating any team is important, beating those two is a little more so.  To date the Sox have played the Rays twice, losing both, and the Yankees three times, winning two of three.  So there's a lot more head to head still to go with, it would now appear, a lot at stake.  This Fri-Sun, three at Yankee Stadium.  Big deal?  Well, I'm guessing Francona, given the off day on Thursday, will start Buchholz, Beckett, and Lester--and let Matsuzaka wait until Monday to pitch again.  The Yankees, is must be noted, are hitting a lot of dingers, most in MLB and about 10 ahead of the next best team.  They hit almost 2 a game, and the Sox hit a little under 1 per game. 
    Posted by maxbialystock
    hey Max, while i certainly don't expect any of these games to be a slam-dunk(either way) it seems like these two teams play almost backwards...what i mean by that is lately the Sox seem to play better at the Stadium, throw in that when our teams hook up the unexpected is always at the forefront...not to mention the occasional 3-4 hour extravaganza..Tongue out...in the course of dealing with you guys i for one will not count Tampa out..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Three hours for these guys is a sprint.  Four hours is a lot more likely.  Right now the Yankees are an offensive juggernaut, absolutely the best in MLB.  But I am nonetheless hopeful.  I have tried for a long time to be a Yankee hater, but can't.  I always root against them, of course, but I know that team almost as well as the Sox, although this year I'm a little fuzzy on the pitching and the bullpen.  The Sox, I can recite the active roster without much problem. 

Either Maddon or the GM is a genius--maybe both--but Tampa just keeps hanging around.  They started just as bad as us, but came back much, much faster, mostly without Longoria.  They have won like seven straight, but I'm hoping the Indians will cool them off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Friday Buch vs Colon
    Sat   Becks vs. CC
    Sun Lester vs Garcia

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Tampa has certainly surprised me.  I thought that their bullpen would be their doom.  So far, no.

As for the Yanks, I figured they would be good, just not better than the Sox.  I live in Jersey, so I get to read and hear more about Yankees news than Red Sox news (other than what I get here and at Boston.com).  There is valid concern over A-Rod and Jeter and Posada; their age and lack of offensive production.  And Garcia is now a question mark after two poor starts.  Colon is still a pleasant surprise, but most Yankee sportswriters are still waiting for him to have a hiccup or more.  He is, as they point out, about to turn 38 years old, and has not pitched a full season of starts in an awful long time.

There are serious questions about New York and their ability to stay in this race over the long haul, from what I read. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

Assuming Lester, Buck and Beckett stay healthy and retain their latest form, the Yankees and Rays are in big trouble. The offense was always there. If the pitching is there, the Red Sox will blow by these two teams. The Rays are early pretenders, while the Yankees have playoff material team if the old guys don't break down. We'll see.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa and New York:
    Tampa has certainly surprised me.  I thought that their bullpen would be their doom.  So far, no. As for the Yanks, I figured they would be good, just not better than the Sox.  I live in Jersey, so I get to read and hear more about Yankees news than Red Sox news (other than what I get here and at Boston.com).  There is valid concern over A-Rod and Jeter and Posada; their age and lack of offensive production.  And Garcia is now a question mark after two poor starts.  Colon is still a pleasant surprise, but most Yankee sportswriters are still waiting for him to have a hiccup or more.  He is, as they point out, about to turn 38 years old, and has not pitched a full season of starts in an awful long time. There are serious questions about New York and their ability to stay in this race over the long haul, from what I read. 
    Posted by parhunter1

valid concern over A-Rod and Jeter

I think not

the rest of your post has merit parhunter

there's nothing new there

did we not  all figure it would  come down to whether cashman

can pick up a quality arm by the dead line

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Why dont you think there is valid concern over Arod or jeter zac??   their offensive numbers have been down and theyre both on the back end of thirty. neither have the range they use to. doesn't mean they still dont have something to bring to the table, but may not be what they once did. 

Everyone did think it would come down to Cashman getting an arm, just depends on who's

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Assuming Lester, Buck and Beckett stay healthy and retain their latest form, the Yankees and Rays are in big trouble. The offense was always there. If the pitching is there, the Red Sox will blow by these two teams. The Rays are early pretenders, while the Yankees have playoff material team if the old guys don't break down. We'll see.
    Posted by softlawRS

I certainly hope you're right--and agree that that is the upbeat scenario.  But the Rays never should have recovered at all from their early poor start, and, here they are, tied with the Yankees.   Was it three years ago when we all kept reassuring each other that Tampa would fade, but they didn't?   

But, as you say, we'll see.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Posted by J-BAY
    Why dont you think there is valid concern over Arod or jeter zac??   their offensive numbers have been down and theyre both on the back end of thirty. neither have the range they use to. doesn't mean they still dont have something to bring to the table, but may not be what they once did. 

exactly Jbay

they aren't who they once were

but still plenty good

I also believe the older guys need the warm weather more

than the young and we are just getting there now

it's silly the way people want to focus on age all the time

they both have much better numbers that the much younger swisher

yet no  '' valid concern '' there

heck they have the same numbers as pedrioa

do you have '' valid concerns''

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Posted by J-BAY Why dont you think there is valid concern over Arod or jeter zac??   their offensive numbers have been down and theyre both on the back end of thirty. neither have the range they use to. doesn't mean they still dont have something to bring to the table, but may not be what they once did.  exactly Jbay they aren't who they once were but still plenty good I also believe the older guys need the warm weather more than the young and we are just getting there now it's silly the way people want to focus on age all the time they both have much better numbers that the much younger swisher yet no  '' valid concern '' there heck they have the same numbers as pedrioa do you have '' valid concerns''  
    Posted by pinstripezac32

No i dont have valid concerns regarding pedroia, who at 27, is slumping/returning from injury/surgery. the concern/dilemma with arod and/or jeter has been, is the decline in numbers due to a slow start/slump, age or combination of both?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa and New York : No i dont have valid concerns regarding pedroia, who at 27, is slumping/returning from injury/surgery. the concern/dilemma with arod and/or jeter has been, is the decline in numbers due to a slow start/slump, age or combination of both?
    Posted by J-BAY

I wouldn't have any concern about Pedroia either hes a good player and will hit.  As for Jeter as of this moment (in game) he is hitting .286 and had a 2 out RBI single so far this evening does he have less range?  Absolutely no question about that but he makes the plays he needs to make, we had Nunez in over the road trip who had more range but a bunch of throwing errors when he was out there.  Arod I have no concern about whatsoever.  Arod RAKED throughout all of spring training and his first few weeks to start the season.  He is slumping but he will hit and his power numbers will be there, Arod was due for a slump but he will hit.  Arod tends to be a streaky sort of hitter.

Sections
Shortcuts