Tampa Bay is going away, part 1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Tampa Bay is going away, part 1

Dead in the water. You can only tread water for so long.

4-6 in last ten, 24-25 at home.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Tampa Bay is going away, part 1

Yup..i thought their pitching would keep them in it only so long without an offense..They are toast..Now were going to see who they trade away, starting with upton...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Reports that I've read and heard are that they will be sellers at trade deadline. Upton and Shields can be had for the right price. I think they can see the hand writing on the wall, that the Sox and Yanks are going to be in it for the long haul, time for them to retool with a look for the future.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Reports are they all ears about Upton who they think will be pushed in value for those who lose out on Beltran. A guy who has often clashed with teammates and the manager and is viewed as having a higher ceiling on the market, (no shock).

But they have said Shields is not on the market according to multiple reports (SI, CBSSports, ESPN, FOX Sports).

Now if they could make a disproportionate haul they would probably do the deal but then again who wouldn't.

The more obvious other assets are guys like Damon and Farnsworth.

In defense of those who thought these guys would be lurking 4-5 games back of 1st at this point, who could have projected Longoria's injury and sluggish return from it? They still could rebound and have the beasts in the east come back to them somewhat but if it is a choice of buying or selling, they should IMO be sellers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

No way, they're still in it.  They are poised to make a run, with a very easy schedule over the next two weeks.  They can sell Upton because Jennings is better, not because they are giving up on the season.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

6 1/2 behind the Wild Card spot with a week left in July?  If they keep Shields, I think they're still in it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay is going away, part 1:
    [QUOTE]Reports are they all ears about Upton who they think will be pushed in value for those who lose out on Beltran. A guy who has often clashed with teammates and the manager and is viewed as having a higher ceiling on the market, (no shock). But they have said Shields is not on the market according to multiple reports (SI, CBSSports, ESPN, FOX Sports). Now if they could make a disproportionate haul they would probably do the deal but then again who wouldn't. The more obvious other assets are guys like Damon and Farnsworth. In defense of those who thought these guys would be lurking 4-5 games back of 1st at this point, who could have projected Longoria's injury and sluggish return from it? They still could rebound and have the beasts in the east come back to them somewhat but if it is a choice of buying or selling, they should IMO be sellers.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I think with Kotchman doing better this year, i think due to the lasik, he could bring in a nice prospect also..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tampa Bay is going away, part 1 : I think with Kotchman doing better this year, i think due to the lasik, he could bring in a nice prospect also..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]Good point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

The rays are done this year. It would take an epic implosion from the Yankees for them to make the postseason, something which, though highly capable of in the short-term of a seven-gamer, I dont see happening through the course of the rest of this season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Tampa Bay is going away, part 1:
    [QUOTE]Dead in the water. You can only tread water for so long. 4-6 in last ten, 24-25 at home.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

ZILL, I agreed a month ago and feel the same way now.  Not enough tools in the tool box this year to get by on pitching alone.  A healthy, happy and productive Manny could have made a difference but I don't give Tampa much credit for thinking that would ever happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tampa Bay is going away, part 1 : I think with Kotchman doing better this year, i think due to the lasik, he could bring in a nice prospect also..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I am convinced it was Jim Ed's eyesight that caused his rapid decline. If only he could have had lasik...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I thought they might be in it much longer, but obviously they needed to ad a offensive big name (something else I thought they might surprise us all and do).

Too bad my Yankees finishing last midnight chant with candles for the past 6 months has yet to come to fruition.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Jim Rice needed two more seasons of .300+ and 25+ homers and 90+ribbies and then he never would have had to go through that long wait to get into the HOF. 

His 1986 numbers were weak by his standards but perfect for a slugger who was on the decline... its 1987 and 88 that were just off the chart dismal.

"Pitchers pay the price when they face Jim Rice" Slush Puppy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I thought they might be in it much longer, but obviously they needed to ad a offensive big name (something else I thought they might surprise us all and do). Too bad my Yankees finishing last midnight chant with candles for the past 6 months has yet to come to fruition.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

That sounds about right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

In Response to Tampa Bay is going away, part 1:
    [QUOTE]Dead in the water. You can only tread water for so long. 4-6 in last ten, 24-25 at home.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Actually they are dead in the water

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

One thing to keep in mind about the Rays - they are at the bottom of the waiver line, so if they don't pick up a bat this week, that doesn't necessarily mean they won't.  They have a 3-game set with the Yankees starting August 12. They really just need to pick up a game or two to make the series meaningful.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Update:  3-7 in their last 10, now 10.5 out of first and 8.5 out of the WC. 

Slip sliding away...slip sliding a-way-ay-ay-ay-ee; you know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip sliding away.

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts