Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3

Gonzo is paying dividends in every way imaginable isn't he? His pickup might eventually rank as the best trade in Red Sox history, even surpassing Varitek and Lowe for Heathcliff (Gas Can) Slocumb.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The guy up after Papi has not hit that well. At least not like Manny did, but AGon has certainly helped by being in front of Big Papi.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3:
    The guy up after Papi has not hit that well. At least not like Manny did, but AGon has certainly helped by being in front of Big Papi.
    Posted by moonslav59
    He's also the guy who's got Papi hitting the other way. Something I've wanted him to do since Joe Maddon first introduced the "Papi shift".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, indeed!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Moon, ...we're going to get a 3 game look at your "They're not going away anytime soon" team. We'll get a good look at their SS tandem of Brignac and Johnson as these 2, with Brignac the starter most of the time and Johnson the switch hitter off the bench, have played SS almost all the time this year for the Rays. Brignac is currently hitting about .175 in around 50 games and Johnson about .235 in about half as many appearances. Between the two of them these 2 couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. But they only have 5-6 errors  at SS between them. We're probably going with MS tonight with JL the All-Purpose infielder as backup. This is the area, the SS position, I'll be paying attention to for these three games.As I've noted before, I'm in favor of bringing Inglesias up now. The Rays are playing both " All Glove, little hit " players against us. .....Could be interesting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

At the current rate, Tampa is 2 back of the Yankees and 5 back of the Red Sox, and it's only June. They are "going away".

Tonight, they have a Tim Wastefield chance to get false confidence going early for momentun in the series. The Rays, regardless of a June series, will be going away.

Wakefield's last 9 games in Tampa is an ERA over 8. That's pretty good, for Wakefield, as he's overdue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

At the current rate, Tampa is 2 back of the Yankees and 5 back of the Red Sox, and it's only June. They are "going away". Tonight, they have a Tim Wastefield chance to get false confidence going early for momentun in the series. The Rays, regardless of a June series, will be going away. Wakefield's last 9 games in Tampa is an ERA over 8. That's pretty good, for Wakefield, as he's overdue.
    Posted by betterredthandead

The only thing at this point that seperates Tampa from the Orioles and Jays is their manager and pitching.  I still say Tampa will be out of the race by the all star break unless the Yankees really struggle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

You are correct, except they might hang on a little longer than the All-Star break. But make no mistake, by final 2 weeks, they will be eliminated by every standard except the math. Nearly ever team is still alive by the match until the last week or two, but have no realistict chance. The Rays are that kind of team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

You are correct, except they might hang on a little longer than the All-Star break. But make no mistake, by final 2 weeks, they will be eliminated by every standard except the math. Nearly ever team is still alive by the match until the last week or two, but have no realistict chance. The Rays are that kind of team.

You might be right, I should have said they will never catch the Yankees or Sox unless something drastic happens.  It was probably more accuarate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Rays have a weak offense and a patchwork pen that will never sustain enough effectiveness to keep them in the race in the AL East. The Yankees will make moves that the Rays can't make. Because the Red Sox are loaded with both stars and quality depth on offense and pitching, even if the Rays starters pitch well all year and don't get hurt they have virtually no chance of staying in the race for the WC except by saying "they are still in it and competitive" when they are 7 games out with two weeks to go. That's not "still in it", or almost every team in baseball would be "in it".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

TB's offense always looks "weak" on paper, but they always score more runs than it seems they should.

Most games are won by good pitching. I think even softy agreed with that once. TB has solid defense up the middle, something that old clown used to say was important. They have a great manager for their team, something softy thinks the Sox have not.

Their pen may be overachieving, again, but it seems to be their history.

Shields has become very solid, and Price should step it up. Hellickson looks very good. Their young, but solid starters have experience. I do not think they will fold. I do not think they will be all but mathematically eliminated with 2 weeks tom go. A lot depends on the wildcard competition. I think 91-93 wins might take the WC this year, and sinceI think TB will win between 90-92 games, they will be "alive" until the end. hence, they are not "going away".

They are 3 games behind the Yanks and right now, the WC team has the 2nd best record in th AL. I do not think that will continue. I could be wrong, but I think the WC contending teams will beat themselves up all year.

TB has a better record than Texas right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I don't think Tampa wins 90 games. Right now they only project out to about 85, overperformances and all. This Texas-Tampa comparison is unfounded right now. Texas was without the MVP of the league for weeks which really, really hurt that team. I know Longoria was out, but I don't think he's on the same level that Josh Hamilton is. Right now NY projects out to 92 wins, I don't see Tampa winning 93-95 games this year. They don't have near the offense the Yankees do, and have given up about 3 more runs in 2 less games right now. Tampa will not fade away, they'll be waiting in the wings all season to make a run at that Wild Card, I agree. But if I was a betting man, I wouldn't pick them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3:
    Just a reminder: they are still here! I thought it strange that Matt Joyce (1.046 OPS pregame)  batted 7th tonight. Shields       5-2  2.15 Hellickson  6-3  2.80 (Garzawhodeedoo?) Price            6-4  3.54  Joyce    1.066 OPS Longoria .967  (missed time) Kotch      .896 Zobrist    .801
    Posted by moonslav59

Excellent, take the wildcard spot and knock out the Yanks. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Best case, the Rays win 89 to 90 games. That's not getting it done and it is going away. WC will either be the Tigers or White Sox or Yankees or Red Sox. Division will be Tigers or White Sox, Yankees or Red Sox. Texas will likely repeat in the West.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Rays are handicapped by their financial limits.  If they had some cash in reserve they could pick up an impact bat before the deadline to give the offense a boost. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think Tampa wins 90 games. Right now they only project out to about 85, overperformances and all.

They hvae their current record with Longoria out about half the games.

This Texas-Tampa comparison is unfounded right now. Texas was without the MVP of the league for weeks which really, really hurt that team. I know Longoria was out, but I don't think he's on the same level that Josh Hamilton is.

Longoria is a huge part of TB's offense. He ma not be as good as Josh, but as a percent of the team'offense generated, he may be more important.

Right now NY projects out to 92 wins, I don't see Tampa winning 93-95 games this year. They don't have near the offense the Yankees do, and have given up about 3 more runs in 2 less games right now. Tampa will not fade away, they'll be waiting in the wings all season to make a run at that Wild Card, I agree. But if I was a betting man, I wouldn't pick them.

I wouldn't "bet on them" either. There are too many teams that will be "in it" to the end to bet on any of them. If I had to bet on one, it would be the Yanks. They will be likely able to upgrade this deadline.

I still think TB will win 90-92. I see softy has upgraded his projection to 89-90, and yet he has continually called mean idiot for saying 90-92. Go figure!

I guess the real issue is how many wins will it take to win the wild card, and what each of us considers "not going away" or "in it to the end" means. f the Yanks win the wild crd with 97 wins,then TB will likley "go away" sooner than I expect. Right now, I don't think th Yank ar tht good. TB's starting pitchers are better, and their pen has looked very good so far.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays are handicapped by their financial limits.  If they had some cash in reserve they could pick up an impact bat before the deadline to give the offense a boost. 

In theory, they have Manny's money,but they certainly do not have the money the Yanks or Sox have.

Don't be surprised if they bring up a kid or two that contributes before the year is over.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

One of those kids may be Matt Moore, their top pitching prospect and one of the best in all the minors.  The kid threw a no-hitter in AA earlier this week.  I've read reports comparing him to Price.  Further evidence supporting the notion that the Rays will continue to be very competitive.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5807/matt-moore

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, and with this year's solid anddeep draft, it appears they will be adding from within for many years to come.

Alex Cobb has done pretty well after being called up (5-0  1.14 in AAA)
    Other than Moore, here are some other players that could help this year"

OF- Desmond Jennings (.378 OBP/.842 OPS)
    OF- Brandon Guyer .936 OPS
    OF- Justin Ruggiano .896 OPS
    C- Jose Lobaton  .921 OPS
    P- Cory Wade 3-1  1.17
    P- Dirk Hayhurst  3-1  3.32

More top prospects: Chris Archer, Alex Torres, Josh Sale, Drew Vettleson, Kak-Ju Lee, Justin O'Conner, Ty Morrison, Jake McGee, Alex Colome, Nick Barnese, and Joseph Cruz. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

The Marlins are the paradigm for small budget success. Not the Rays.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, the 32-38 Marlins playing in th AAAA are a better model.

The absurd clown has shown his brilliance once again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

The Marlins are the paradigm for small budget success. Not the Rays.

Rays: 37-33
    Marlins: 32-38

Rays: 1st Place
    Marlins: 3rd Place

Rays: 3rd Place
    Marlins: 2nd Place (No Wild Card)

Rays: 1st Place
    Marlins: 3rd Place

...You sure about that?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Florida has never finished in 1st place in the division. They do not have a stockpiled farm system like TB does. The World Series wins they have were under different management or teams built by former GMs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

The dome for the devil dawgs is an utter embarrassment to the team and baseball. The catwalks, 4 ridiculous metal rings that support the fiberglass roof have  a silly set of ground rules. When the fly ball hits the C or D outer walks, it's ruled a home run.  When it hits the highest A or B walks, it's considered a ball in play.  Or it was until the 2010 playoffs, where it became a dead ball.  This team is mired in jokes like this.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

2 world titles built by the best scouting staff in baseball. Wrong again, Moonslow.

Sections
Shortcuts