Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3

Ortiz had about a .500 OPS last year against the LH'd starters I said he should sit against. Only you see that as a mistaken position.

No, anyone can see it. You would have sat him v. LHP starting pitching, this year, but will claim otherwise.

Unlike you, softy, I have never denied I held a position. I even admitted that my position was not looking too good earlier this year. You knowit, because you jumped all over me for it. Now you pretend I am denying I said it. More asurd lies.

Yes, I held the position that Papi's decline vs LHPs for over 3 yars was so steep and profound that he should be benched vs all but about 5-6 lefty starters last year. I said the same thing this spring. I have and will never deny I said it.

Knock off the pontificating and patronizing routine with other posters. Despite all the cutting and pasting, you have less insight than Smiley.

Knock of the lies, misrepresentations, constant goalpost moving, and trying to deny your awful record of late.

On Papi, the season sample size is now large enough for you to judge by? Why is it too small to judge Jake, Wake and Jed by then?

So far this year I have been terribly wrong in my projection of how well Papi would do vs the lefties I thought he should sit against. I have also said CC should sit vs almost all lefties. I also said Cam should be playing vs every LH'd starter. Let's look again at season end and you can bash me all you want if I am wrong. My posts wil not be deleted like yours will be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Softlaw SoxSoldRed is the biggest hypocrite on this board.  On the rare occasions he is close to being right, he starts long threads about how clever he is.  When he is wrong, he remains silent or simply claims he never said what he said. 

As for the Rays, I never thought they would go away.  They bounced back from a horrible starter even faster than the Sox did.  They have good pitching and a decent but not great lineup. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hellickson looks like the real deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I agree on Hellickson. They had a solid first 3 guys but the remaining 2 are starting to waver a little now. When guys like Hellickson start out pitching close to 200 innings it can cause them to wear down some but Hellickson is definitely a stud in the making. I never saw Wade maintaining his early performances but he has hung in there fairly well overall, last year and this. I never expected him to even be in the rotation by this time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sonnanstine got rocked tonight.

It seems several teams are struggling to find good #3-6 starters.

I'd say Wade Davis (4.52 ERA), Nieman, and Sonnanstine will end up being as good or better than most MLB teams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Those 3 guys all could tank though. If they get lucky with at least one of them they are in it until September IMO. They might have someone from the minors up by then.

Moon! - I looked up the Garza trade and you were right. What a load!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This team stockpiles youth in several ways. The are deep from A to AAA. They will get even deeper in less than a week. This is supposed to be one of the better drafts in years and TB planned it out just right. It was not luck. These guys know what they are doing.

People keep saying they can't win because they can't keep their best players and lose them to free agency. I really can't think of many guys under the current management team that have left TB and went on to have great years.

They let players go "just in time", much the way Theo has.

They draft savvy.

They make key trades.

They seem to keep their pen solid, even though on paper, nobody expects it to be that good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3:
    [QUOTE]This team stockpiles youth in several ways. The are deep from A to AAA. They will get even deeper in less than a week. This is supposed to be one of the better drafts in years and TB planned it out just right. It was not luck. These guys know what they are doing. People keep saying they can't win because they can't keep their best players and lose them to free agency. I really can't think of many guys under the current management team that have left TB and went on to have great years. They let players go "just in time", much the way Theo has. They draft savvy. They make key trades. They seem to keep their pen solid, even though on paper, nobody expects it to be that good.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Now we're seeing the true scouting by the Rays organization.  Instead of rebuilding they've simply been reloading.  Many positions have been revolving doors over this 4 year stretch of successful seasons for them.

I can think of one blunder that they've made in the last 4 years:  Signing Pat Burrell to that monster 2 year deal.  Other than that, they haven't made any exceptions as far as spending wisely, dealing wisely and developing from within wisely.  Look at a guy like Matt Joyce.  It took an extra year or so but he's finally showing to be a solid Major Leaguer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

[QUOTE]This team stockpiles youth in several ways. The are deep from A to AAA. They will get even deeper in less than a week. This is supposed to be one of the better drafts in years and TB planned it out just right. It was not luck. These guys know what they are doing. People keep saying they can't win because they can't keep their best players and lose them to free agency. I really can't think of many guys under the current management team that have left TB and went on to have great years. They let players go "just in time", much the way Theo has. They draft savvy. They make key trades. They seem to keep their pen solid, even though on paper, nobody expects it to be that good.

I actually think that one thing that makes TB so good is the lack of fan support.  I think it really helps Friedman to be able to make roster moves without having to worry about losing "fan favorites".  I live near Philly, and the Phils, Yankees, and Mets all have major problems, and I think it's because the GMs feel they have to sign their franchise players to keep attendance up, even when it makes no sense to (howard deal is a pure example of this).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3 : I actually think that one thing that makes TB so good is the lack of fan support.  I think it really helps Friedman to be able to make roster moves without having to worry about losing "fan favorites".  I live near Philly, and the Phils, Yankees, and Mets all have major problems, and I think it's because the GMs feel they have to sign their franchise players to keep attendance up, even when it makes no sense to (howard deal is a pure example of this).
    Posted by billsrul[/QUOTE]

I think that's a very minor factor to TB's success.  A good GM knows when to get rid of a player and when not to regardless of what the fans think.  The Red Sox could trade Kevin Youkilis tomorrow, the Yankees could trade Cano, the Phillies could trade Howard and there will still be sellouts and die hard fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

They Rays were waxed and lost again tonight. They are exactly the same record of that lousy 2009 team they had. There is no way Crawford (career year last year and perfect in that roller derby rink), Soriano (doesn't matter what he's doing this year, it's what he did last year that is gone) leaving is going to allow, one year later, a team that contends. The Rays will go away in 2011, without a doubt. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

That is true many here said Ortiz should virtually never start vs. LHP... and my point was that if they re-signed him for that kind of money that it was the job of ORTIZ to bat agains LHP and RHP alike!  

I put sentiment aside and used brain power... I did not let stats overkill dictate my thought process.

I am genius!  Sealed

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

You are genius, but good luck convincing one of the two headed Board Bullies, Moonslob and Harnut.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I actually think that one thing that makes TB so good is the lack of fan support.  I think it really helps Friedman to be able to make roster moves without having to worry about losing "fan favorites".  I live near Philly, and the Phils, Yankees, and Mets all have major problems, and I think it's because the GMs feel they have to sign their franchise players to keep attendance up, even when it makes no sense to (howard deal is a pure example of this).

An excellent point billsrul, but the fans are smart enough to know that the guys who have walked have basically crumbled afterwards.

I think that's a very minor factor to TB's success.  A good GM knows when to get rid of a player and when not to regardless of what the fans think.  The Red Sox could trade Kevin Youkilis tomorrow, the Yankees could trade Cano, the Phillies could trade Howard and there will still be sellouts and die hard fans.

You make a good point too SPC, however, the Boston, NY and Philly fans would have gone bonkers had they traded a star for prospects in the thick of a pennant run.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

[QUOTE]They Rays were waxed and lost again tonight. They are exactly the same record of that lousy 2009 team they had. There is no way Crawford (career year last year and perfect in that roller derby rink), Soriano (doesn't matter what he's doing this year, it's what he did last year that is gone) leaving is going to allow, one year later, a team that contends. The Rays will go away in 2011, without a doubt. 
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

Will they take you with them? PLEEEZEE!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They Rays were waxed and lost again tonight. They are exactly the same record of that lousy 2009 team they had. There is no way Crawford (career year last year and perfect in that roller derby rink),

This from the clown that on one hand called CC the most "over-rated player in MLB", then on the other hand said TB would be "crippled" when they let him walk.

Soriano (doesn't matter what he's doing this year, it's what he did last year that is gone) leaving is going to allow, one year later, a team that contends.

You are missing the point. Nobody expected Soriano to have the year he had in 2010...even you.  On paper, you called the TB pen "weak" before last year started. They over-acheived and were shown the door "just in time". Now, again this year, you said the pen was "weak", and again, they have done better than expected. It's a continuing trend with this management team.

Your ever changing timeframe judgements are getting more and more absurd. Sample sizes are too small when it suits you, yet you continually bring up single game sample sizes to "prove" your point is right.

TB has won 97, 84, and 96 games the last 3 years. That is a highly competitive team. Of course, they will not make the playoffs every year, especially being in the AL East. They have won 29 games this year with Longoria out for most of the games. They have replaced CC, Pena, Soriano, and Garza with guys that are doing much better than those guys are doing this year and you see this as a non-fatcor. Your absurdity never ends. All but Farnsworth are actually doing better than the guys they are replacing did last year.

Matt Joyce has better numbers than CC's "career year".
    Kotchman is blowing Pena's numbers away.
    Hellickson is blowing away Garzaa's 2010 numbers as well.

The Rays will go away in 2011, without a doubt. 

2008-present ( bigger sample size than yours):
    NY   328 wins
    Bos  310
    TB   306

That's about 1 game behind the Sox per year on average and 5 GB the Yanks. I know you "corner the market" on baseball terminology and nobody is allowed to have a different view of what "pop" means or of what "being in it to the end" means. TB should win about 90 games this year despite losing CC, Pena, garza, Soiriano, and more. Yes, they may win only 84 like they did in 2009, and we will never hear the end of it from you.

You see their moves as "rebuilding", but fail to see that they have been doing this for for over 7-8 years. They continually add great players at all levels of their farm every year, so the guys they lose this year will be replaced by the guys they added 4 years ago. As SPC says, they are continually "reloading". They are busting at the seams with talent in the minors. They will be adding even more to the bottom rung in a few days.

They are not "going away".

They are on pace to finish about 5-6 games behind the wild card. One reason I said that they would "be in it to the end" and "not go away" was because this season appears to have a more balanced league and the WC team could make it tinot the playoffs with less wins than previous years. I may be wrong on this point, but I do think 90 wins will be very close to the WC winner's win total. If Tb wins 92-93, as they might, they should be "in it" to the last day or two of the season.

I'll be here to admit I was wrong if they don't. What will your moniker be in October?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays will go away in 2011, without a doubt. 

Without a doubt Mauer will sign for $17-18M.
    Without a doubt AGon will not sign in early April.
    Without a doubt AGon will be extended at only $18M/year.
    Without a doubt a 50-50 call means 100% chance AGon will be dealt this past winter.
    Without a doubt SD will ask for and get Jed and Jake for AGon.
    Without a doubt BHall should have been resigned and Jed traded.
    Without a doubt Ellsbury would hit at his career average as he enters prime years.
    Without a doubt Jed would get hurt and hit at his career average.
    Without a doubt Dice-K would do better than Wake and Wake would be the one getting hurt.
    Without a doubt Wake sould have been DFA's after 2007, 2008, 2009, & 2010.
    Without a doubt Wake's production this year has been valueless.
    Without a doubt CERA is voodoo.
    Without a doubt Burrito is a "genius" since he is the only one who agress with the clown on almost every issue.
    Without a doubt harness and I are bullies, and he is a saint who never puts down other posters or makes 'ad hom" attacks.
    Without a doubt anyone who criticizes Dice or Oki are racists, yet he can call Dice-K: "Rice-K" and willfully discriminates against any white guy who goes to college.

Without a doubt softy is an absurd clown getting more and more absurd as his projections crumble into dust. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

[QUOTE]The Rays will go away in 2011, without a doubt.   Without a doubt Mauer will sign for $17-18M. Without a doubt AGon will not sign in early April. Without a doubt AGon will be extended at only $18M/year. Without a doubt a 50-50 call means 100% chance AGon will be dealt this past winter. Without a doubt SD will ask for and get Jed and Jake for AGon. Without a doubt BHall should have been resigned and Jed traded. Without a doubt Ellsbury would hit at his career average as he enters prime years. Without a doubt Jed would get hurt and hit at his career average. Without a doubt Dice-K would do better than Wake and Wake would be the one getting hurt. Without a doubt Wake sould have been DFA's after 2007, 2008, 2009, & 2010. Without a doubt Wake's production this year has been valueless. Without a doubt CERA is voodoo. Without a doubt Burrito is a "genius" since he is the only one who agress with the clown on almost every issue. Without a doubt harness and I are bullies, and he is a saint who never puts down other posters or makes 'ad him" attacks. Without a doubt anyone who criticizes Dice or Oki are racists, yet he can call Dice-K: "Rice-K" and willfully discriminates against any white guy who goes to college. Without a doubt softy is an absurd clown getting more and more absurd as his projections crumble into dust. 

This post is worthy of entry consideration to the BDC Hall of Fame and the subjected individual referenced should be the highest vote getter for initiation to the BDC Hall of Shame.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

It is not about the team or scouts, it's Maddon, that guy is the best manager in BB

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Softy is a pest isn't he!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

They are on pace to finish about 5-6 games behind the wild card

That's "going away", you meaningless phrasing dweezil.

You are a dim bulb, the same dim bulb that claimed the Twins couldn't afford Mauer. To claim that losing a career year from Soriano and Crawford translates to a contender that "won't go away" is nothing short of idiocy!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Without a doubt Mauer will sign for $17-18M.

(Look, loser, you claimed the Twins couldn't afford him. No poster on this board ever stated precisely what Mauer would sign for. One poster named Softlaw said the Twins could afford him and would sign him, going as high as they needed to go to sign him. When you are loser who claims the Twins couldnt' afford him, the need for making things up is understood.

Without a doubt AGon will not sign in early April.

Without a doubt there was never any deal in place waiting to be signed as soon as the CBT capture opening day date passed. The deal was signed weeks after Beckett's, as Theo hedged and wanted to see AGon play more than just opening day. AGon and his agent could have ended Theo's GM career, and it's too bad they didn't. They are a class act, which is something I can't see for InEpstein.

Without a doubt AGon will be extended at only $18M/year.

Without a doubt AGon will get a deal that is almost exactly the same deal as Miggy got. AGon didn't have to sign any extension unless his final Padre deal year was upped. The deal includes this year in the average annual base and almost exactly the same base as Miggy. You are such a clueless mind. You were talking about Pujols and Howard and 25M a year.

Without a doubt a 50-50 call means 100% chance AGon will be dealt this past winter.

Without a doubt, 50-50 to the Red Sox and 100% sold out San Diego this winter was correct. Ballgirld and Harness were in left field with you, claiming that the Padres and selling tickets and waiting until this summer was the way it would go down. In your case, you never said he would be 100% sold by the Padres this winter, instead claiming your pre-season comment about "if we get AGon and he might go" was some kind of worthy comment on the subject. You were out to lunch like you always are.

Without a doubt SD will ask for and get Jed and Jake for AGon.

Without a doubt SD did ask for Lowrie and/or Bellsbury. It was leaked from a beat guy, true or not, that Bellsbury was on the table and was pulled off. Their is no way the Padres and the team needs didn't ask about those guys, but Theo, as I said, might not put them on the table. He should have, as he could have saved one or more of the 3 high level farm prospects he cut loose.

Without a doubt BHall should have been resigned and Jed traded.

True. Hall should have been resigned to the same role as 2010, Utility bench guy, as Scutaro money was already spent and Iggy was quality depth both before and after roster expansion. Lowrie could have been sold high as a slugging SS, for a solid RH young OF'er or catcher. Instead, the entire baseball world now knows that Lowrie is a butcher at SS who is a weak hitter v. RHP and has the constitution of Chinese auto glass.

Without a doubt Ellsbury would hit at his career average as he enters prime years.

At or near, loser, no poster is going to say to the point what a player is going to end up from year to year. It's called career averages median and standard deviation, not that Bellsbury's numbers aren't almost exactly the same as his career averages. "Enters prime years" is another one of your meaningless phrases, along with "aren't going away". He's declined in relation to 2007 snipet, and he's declines this year against LHP.

2011  BA .291  Career BA .291 (Same)
    2011 OBP .346 Career OBP .355 (Near)
    2011 SLG .445 Career SLG .411 (Up slightly, but declining since the early swing for the fences approach was ordered to stop because his early 4 homers came at the cost of the Mendoza line)

2011 v. LHP BA .233 OBP .299 SLG .350 (Way down from career averages)

His career UZR is well below average.

This guy is the same overhyped prima donna he will be until management runs out of time`on the arbitration clock.

With all the money mortgaged on Crawford, his days are numbered as the Red Sox need a solid young RH Of'er and the economy continues to free fall despite smoke and mirrors and excluding gas from the CPI (printing money and debt is why gas is way up)

Without a doubt Jed would get hurt and hit at his career average.

Without a doubt Jed got hurt (neck and tired in 2011) and hits weak v. RHP just like his career average. V. LHP, he is declining and if he lasts a full season, will end up at or near his career averages.

Without a doubt Dice-K would do better than Wake and Wake would be the one getting hurt.

Without a doubt Dice-K did better than Wake until he got hurt and pitched hurt. Wastefield will get hurt if they keep him in the rotation for any length of time at all. They have no plans to do so because they know he'll get hurt. Their plan is to keep using him on a 7 days or more average season long work load. He's not capable of more and needs to go.

Without a doubt Wake sould have been DFA's after 2007, 2008, 2009, & 2010.

Without a doubt Wake should have been DFA after 2009. No poster of any merit said to DFA before 2010. He needs to go, since 2009, even though that would break your wittle heart.

Without a doubt Wake's production this year has been valueless.

Without a cout Wastefield sat on the de facto DL with a mop bucket, sitting for week or two at a time for nearly two months. Without a doubt, Wastefield has been a waste of roster spot, as the Mariners, Cubs and a few spot starts after weeks of non-use hardly translates to "value".

Without a doubt CERA is voodoo.

It is, and I was delighted to see Varitick ejected after getting blown away again on "his watch".

Without a doubt Burrito is a "genius" since he is the only one who agress with the clown on almost every issue.

Without a doubt you are an idiot and board bully who attempt to use post totals and continued propaganda board tenure to attempt to intimidate other weak minded posters. Burrito doesn't put up with all of the time. I never put up with it at anytime.

Without a doubt harness and I are bullies, and he is a saint who never puts down other posters or makes 'ad hom" attacks.

Without a doubt you two are the resident board bullies, and any 'ad hom' attacks are simply the correct way to handle board bullies who initiate the name calling and bullying.

Without a doubt anyone who criticizes Dice or Oki are racists, yet he can call Dice-K: "Rice-K" and willfully discriminates against any white guy who goes to college.

"Rice-K" is satire, dim bulb. I fairly discriminate based upon character and performance, not whether a "white guy goes to college". Are you a "white guy"? That's satire, you dim bulb.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Softy is making a judgement on just over a third of a season of play, but then neglects to recognize these facts:

Matt Joyce in on pace (1.041 OPS)  to have a much better year than Crawford ever has had (.851 OPS in 2010). Only someone stuck inside a twisted clown logic world misses theat point.

Hellickson is on pace (6-3  2.80) to have a better year than Garza ever has had.

Kotchman is doing great (.896 OPS thus far).
    Pena had a .732 OPS in 2010.

The pen has a 1.235 WHIP this year (Opps have a .628 OPS). Last year, the pen had a 1.174 WHIP (Opponents had a .672 OPS vs the TB pen)

Farnsworth has a 0.789 WHP and a 1.42 ERA.
    R. Soriano had a 0.802 and a 1.73 ERA last year.

You called me an idiot when I said TB could replace these players with minimal loss, and that they could gain at other positions, I was wrong. I admit it. They are actually doing better than the players they are replacing.

Now that Longoria is back, I expect them to do better than their current record.

They will be in the race to the very end, and very well could make the playoffs. You may disagree on the terminology, but they are "not going away".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

To Softy, Ellsbury having a career UZR/150 "well below average" means a - .6 for CF ( what is that...less than .3% under an average score for all CF in baseball? ) or a + 5.4 for his career as an OF is "well below average".

It's a good thing you are a lawyer Softy, because math is not your thing dude! Or did you just stay at a holiday inn last night? Personally, I don't believe a word you say anymore as I've seen you in action for a long time now.

Sections
Shortcuts