Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3

About a hundred games to go and TB is just 2.5 GB with Longoria missing about half the games.

7th starter and 23 year old Alex Cobb pitched a gem last night.

The Rays have 3 starters with a WHIP beloww 1.12 (with their ages):
         Price (25), Shields (29), and Hellickson (24)

Two players are contributing more than expected:
        Matt Joyce with an OPS of about 1.000
        Kotchman doing great things thus far.

Those who thought the pen would implode, need to look at this:
       2011: 3.52 ERA  1.228 WHIP
       2010: 3.33 ERA  1.174 WHIP

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3:
    Just a reminder: they are still here! I thought it strange that Matt Joyce (1.046 OPS pregame)  batted 7th tonight. Shields       5-2  2.15 Hellickson  6-3  2.80 (Garzawhodeedoo?) Price            6-4  3.54  Joyce    1.066 OPS Longoria .967  (missed time) Kotch      .896 Zobrist    .801
    Posted by moonslav59

This is kind of funny because a friend an I had this same discussion with a Tampa fan last month.  I feel Tampa still has enough pitching to hang around the race but not enough to overcome the Yankees or Boston without help.  Their team appears to have lost their identity, but you never know what a couple of key injuries can do to the other clubs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3:
    About a hundred games to go and TB is just 2.5 GB with Longoria missing about half the games. 7th starter and 23 year old Alex Cobb pitched a gem last night. The Rays have 3 starters with a WHIP beloww 1.12 (with their ages):      Price (25), Shields (29), and Hellickson (24) Two players are contributing more than expected:     Matt Joyce with an OPS of about 1.000     Kotchman doing great things thus far. Those who thought the pen would implode, need to look at this:    2011: 3.52 ERA  1.228 WHIP    2010: 3.33 ERA  1.174 WHIP
    Posted by moonslav59

Back to your old tricks. No matter how many times you bump this lame thread up and say "you see, they aren't going away in June, July, etc", when the Rays are all but mathematically eliminated by the last week or two of the season (ie 5 back with 7 games to go), you will need to come on this thread and say the following:

"I am a blowheard bullying idiot"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

redsoxdirthead, you have just violated board rules. I am not any of those posters and your attacking bully stalking tactic has been reported. I suggest you get back to baseball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

redsoxdirthead, you have just violated board rules. I am not any of those posters and your attacking bully stalking tactic has been reported. I suggest you get back to baseball.
    Posted by betterredthandead

If you truly were not, then I would apologize.... It seems VERY CLEAR that you are SoldRed!  You came back the very day you were banned as SoldRed, making the same comments SoldRed was making.  The very same references.  You can be a coward & play the "victim" role if you like, but I have no doubt the board moderators know exactly who you are.  I simply think that your race baiting comments with respect to the Dice-K situation was intolerable.  It was laughable that you then accuse "Liberals / Leftists" of playing the same race card you were playing.  If I get banned for calling you out on what everyone else clearly sees with you????  So be it!  Ironically, you were upset with people calling those from Texas "rednecks."  I actually agree with you on that score!
    I guess I just don't get you?  Why do you play all these games?  Stirring up trouble, especially racial issues, on a baseball web site?  Then you turn around & want to moralize....  It's disturbing!  You make decent conservatives look bad!
    I can't for the life of me understand why you were trying to make ALL Sox fans look like racists over the Dice-K situation, unless of course you were simply here to stir up trouble?  Everyone knows you are SoldRed!  Have the guts to admit it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay is Not Going Away: Part 3 : If you truly were not, then I would apologize.... It seems VERY CLEAR that you are SoldRed!  You came back the very day you were banned as SoldRed, making the same comments SoldRed was making.  The very same references.  You can be a coward & play the "victim" role if you like, but I have no doubt the board moderators know exactly who you are.  I simply think that your race baiting comments with respect to the Dice-K situation was intolerable.  It was laughable that you then accuse "Liberals / Leftists" of playing the same race card you were playing.  If I get banned for calling you out on what everyone else clearly sees with you????  So be it!  Ironically, you were upset with people calling those from Texas "rednecks."  I actually agree with you on that score! I guess I just don't get you?  Why do you play all these games?  Stirring up trouble, especially racial issues, on a baseball web site?  Then you turn around & want to moralize....  It's disturbing!  You make decent conservatives look bad! I can't for the life of me understand why you were trying to make ALL Sox fans look like racists over the Dice-K situation, unless of course you were simply here to stir up trouble?  Everyone knows you are SoldRed!  Have the guts to admit it!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog

And SoldRed is Softy.  Whatever.  Don't get too sucked into his silly reindeer games.  He so crazy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Update:

100 games to go

1 game behind the wild card.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Update, 99 games to go, 5-5 in last 10, 2 games out of WC.

Indians lead the AL Central, "not going away" ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hellickson finally had a bad start. It will be interesting to see how he reacts. My sense is, he will bounce back. This kid is the "real deal".

"Buy low: sell high":

Crawford: .247/.682
    Soriano: 5.40/ 1.733 (injured) 
    C. Pena: .217/.741
    Bartlett: .254/.639
    G.Gross: .239/.601
    W.Aybar: No PAs in 2011
    Garza: 2-5  4.07/ 1.425
    Kazmir: 27.00 / 4.20 (WHIP) in 1.2 IP (Note: traded in 2009)
    Wheeler: 7.41/ 1.529
    Benoit:  5.24/ 1.343
    Cormier: 9.88/1.976

Only these guys are doing OK or better:
    Randy Choate: 0.84/0.075 in 10.2 IP
    Grant Balfour: 2.70/1.163 in 26.2 IP

They really must "miss these guys" and their huge contracts.

Here's how their replacements have done at key positions of loss:

OF (CC/Gross):
    Matt Joyce (from 40% player to FT'er): .338 /.987  10 HRs  34 RBIs
    Sam Fuld:  .228/.624 (14 SB)

DH (Aybar & others):
    Johnny Damon: .275/.745 7 HRs  31 RBIs

1B (Carlos Pena):
    Kotchman: .331/.821

SS (Bartlett):
    Rodriguez: .206/.685
    R. Brignac: .180/.421

SP (Garza):
    Hellickson: 7-4  3.03 / 1.164
    A. Cobb:    1-0  4.24/ 1.353

Closer (Soriano):
    Farnsworth: 1.17/0.696 (13 saves)

Set up (Benoit/Wheeler/Balfour/Cormier/Choate):
    Peralta: 3.52/0.913 (30.2 IP)
    J. Cruz: 3.63/1.143 (22.1)
    Russell: 2.42/1.522 (22.1)
    Ramos: 3.38/1.232 (18.2)
    Gomes: 3.09/1.457 (11.2)

Overall Bullpen:
    2010: 3.33/ 1.174 (.672 OPS against)
    2011: 3.52/ 1.224 (.635 OPS against)

Once again, the unheralded TB pen is exceeding expectations.

Once again, TB shed it's stars "just in time" and replaces them with key pick-ups and kids from a farm that is continually built up year after year, including this year's unprecedented stacked draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

again if someone hits 40 homers, but 30 of them came in games the team outscored their opponent by 4 runs.... what the hell good is your stat summary?

you said Ortiz should never bat against LHP, did you not?  Why would you think a 10+ million dollar DH should sit against LHP? Your stats told you that - and you were wrong.

Try giving us something more than a bunch of Billy Bean bologna.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

you said Ortiz should never bat against LHP, did you not?  Why would you think a 10+ million dollar DH should sit against LHP? Your stats told you that - and you were wrong.

Burrito, you have drank the softy Kool-Aid or have been in the sun too much.

Find where I ever said Papi should "never bat against LHP". Only in softy posts was that stated.

I clearly laid out my position time and time again. Did you bother to read it, or do you just trust the lying clown's misrepresentations?

Before 2010, I showed how Papi had declined severely vs most LHPs, and said he should sit vs all but about 5-6 LH'd starters IF we had someone who clearly hit LHPs better or had good splits vs that particular pitcher that night. With all the injuries last year, that wasn't often. Also, I said once Papi is in the game, he should stay even if a LHP is brought in, so I never advocated PH'ing for him when a LH'd reliever was brought in. That isn't even close to saying he should "never" bat against LHPs.

I painstakenly did a game-by-game log of every game Papi started vs LHPs he had struggled against over the years (all but about 5-6 LH'd starters). The results of those games covered about 105 PAs in 2010. Papi had about a .500 OPS vs those starters.  Was I wrong? I am sure you will not answer this and softy clings to the stat that Papi's numbers in games LH'ers started that included relievers and the 5-6 starters I said he should have started against plus the few others we had no better option. His numbers in those 174 PAs were: .250/.339/.388/.727 (3 HRs). His numbers vs the LH'd starters I said he should have sat against was: .500 OPS (1 HR).

This Spring, I suggested the same plan. I actually advocated for Lowrie to play 3B and Youk DH vs LHPs. Scutty's injury kind of hurt that plan. I never wanted Cam to DH for Papi; I wanted Cam to platoon for Drew or Crawford. So, once Scutty got hurt, there was no better option than Papi anyways. I caught crap fro saying Cam and DMac should platoon for CC and Drew as well. How's those guys doing vs lefties this year? Once again, I said, Papi should sit vs all but 5-6 LH'd starters this year, if we had a better option. As it turned out, I have been horribly wrong this year. Papi is hitting LHPs better than RHPs. 

As well as Lowrie has done vs LHPs this year, he hasn't come close to matching Papi's production vs lefties. I have admitted I was wrong several times. Where's yours and softy's admission I was right last year?

Crickets...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

yay - a good post that I benefit from. stats bore me, that was far more useful to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

"Billy Bean Balogna" ...I've got to admit that's a good one!

Consider me a Billy Bean meat eater also!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

yay - a good post that I benefit from. stats bore me,...

Except to show me how Papi is hitting LHPs this year, right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

again if someone hits 40 homers, but 30 of them came in games the team outscored their opponent by 4 runs.... what the hell good is your stat summary?

Yes, Burrito, the board bully is a puny load of hypocrisy. In that long political rambling nonsense, he isn't very good at lying.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hellickson finally had a bad start. It will be interesting to see how he reacts. My sense is, he will bounce back. This kid is the "real deal". "Buy low: sell high": Crawford: .247/.682 Soriano: 5.40/ 1.733 (injured)  C. Pena: .217/.741 Bartlett: .254/.639 G.Gross: .239/.601 W.Aybar: No PAs in 2011 Garza: 2-5  4.07/ 1.425 Kazmir: 27.00 / 4.20 (WHIP) in 1.2 IP (Note: traded in 2009) Wheeler: 7.41/ 1.529 Benoit:  5.24/ 1.343 Cormier: 9.88/1.976 Only these guys are doing OK or better: Randy Choate: 0.84/0.075 in 10.2 IP Grant Balfour: 2.70/1.163 in 26.2 IP They really must "miss these guys" and their huge contracts. Here's how their replacements have done at key positions of loss: OF (CC/Gross): Matt Joyce (from 40% player to FT'er): .338 /.987  10 HRs  34 RBIs Sam Fuld:  .228/.624 (14 SB)   DH (Aybar & others): Johnny Damon: .275/.745 7 HRs  31 RBIs 1B (Carlos Pena): Kotchman: .331/.821 SS (Bartlett): Rodriguez: .206/.685 R. Brignac: .180/.421 SP (Garza): Hellickson: 7-4  3.03 / 1.164 A. Cobb:    1-0  4.24/ 1.353 Closer (Soriano): Farnsworth: 1.17/0.696 (13 saves) Set up (Benoit/Wheeler/Balfour/Cormier/Choate): Peralta: 3.52/0.913 (30.2 IP) J. Cruz: 3.63/1.143 (22.1) Russell: 2.42/1.522 (22.1) Ramos: 3.38/1.232 (18.2) Gomes: 3.09/1.457 (11.2) Overall Bullpen: 2010: 3.33/ 1.174 (.672 OPS against) 2011: 3.52/ 1.224 (.635 OPS against) Once again, the unheralded TB pen is exceeding expectations. Once again, TB shed it's stars "just in time" and replaces them with key pick-ups and kids from a farm that is continually built up year after year, including this year's unprecedented stacked draft.
    Posted by moonslav59

the pitcher they got with their 1st pick is a head case..
    Him and his agent arent going to sign unless TB breaks the bank...looks like TB already set themselves up to have the 24th pick next year when this kid doesnt sign or unless their dumb enough to give him the $$ he wants..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe they are trying to "spread out" their draft to even it out. This year, they had a record amount of picks in the top 80 or so.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The OP thesis is still holding up.  TB could in fact go away, but they have hung in there pretty well after losing Garza, Barlett, Pena, and Crawford. 

But it's early.  In the old days, the Sox had a reputation for getting off to a fast start and then fading in the hot months of June, July, and August.  That is no longer true, but could be true of the Rays--this year, anyway. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Tampa bay usually is on the better end of their trades, in addition to [icking prospects.  But I don't expect a new park or revenue sharing to help in Tampa bay.  Baseball would need a new CBA like the NFL, alas.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

TB has done well to replce their departing stars.
    They have done well to let players walk right after theri career year or years have ended.
    They have stockpiled draft picks for many years, so the replacement players are lined up at each level of their farm system.
    They continue to keep winning without great traditional offensive numbers.

They will be in it to at least the end of the regular season.
    They will not "go away" thi year or the next few years.
    They will remain highly competitive.

Injuries could hurt, but they hung in nicely without Longoria for about half the year so far.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Bubble-head Burrito was against Papi returning at all.
    Hammered him relentlessly last year.
    Now he's pointing fingers at the southpaws Papi is hitting.

Talk about hypocrisy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, I forgot about that. I wanted him sitting against most lefthanded starters when we had no better option: he wanted him on the Yanks this year (his likely resting spot had he walked).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

TB would be tied for first place in the AL Central and AL West right now.

Softy used the last 10 game stat the other day: I'll throw it back in his face...

TB   6-4
    NYY 6-4

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Papi on the Yankees and you are looking at Papi circa 2006.
    That alone would change the balance of power.

Now you know why Burrito finishes last in his fantasy league.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Personally I think the way Ortiz has hit lefties this year has been one of the biggest surprises of the season...and a really valuable one also. All of those little singles to left field have kept the line moving and helped the Sox to a good record vs lefties this season. I don't think there was anything wrong with Moon's analysis....just didn't figure that Adrian would be such a good influence.

Sections
Shortcuts