Tampa Bay is not Going Away: Part 5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Tampa Bay is not Going Away: Part 5

Moonslow is obviously a stealth mod, locking his own old thread. Season not over, Rays still in it, so I'm going to repost his thread.

Rays are currently 10 LC out and 3rd place in the WC, and 11 LC out of the East division.

Tampa Bay Is Not Going Away: Part V

posted at 7/15/2011 11:04 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=6ca1d4ce1f944561017c844176cf2177&plckUserId=6ca1d4ce1f944561017c844176cf2177">
    First: 9/27/2005
    Last: 8/3/2011
    Good pitching wins games.
    Tampa has very good pitching.
    Tampa Bay is not going away anytime soon.
    Only 2 AL teams have less losses (Bos & NYY).
    Only 3 NL teams have less losses (Phil, SF & Atl).

Starters with 5+ starts:
    Shields 8-7 2.33 0.981 WHIP
    Hellick. 8-7 3.21 1.148
    Price 9-7 3.73 1.075
    Davis 7-6 4.25 1.457
    Nieman 4-4 4.53 1.416
    A. Cobb 2-2 3.41 1.310

Relievers with 25+ innings in relief:
    Farnsworth 1.95 0.880
    Peralta 4.10 1.173
    J. Cruz 3.31 1.296
    Russell 2.90 1.516
    C. Ramos 4.05 1.350

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: Tampa Bay is not Going Away: Part 5

Yeah Tampa is toast.  Look for them to dump players into waivers and call up young guys to get experience.  That's where they're heading for 2011.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay is not Going Away: Part 5:
    Yeah Tampa is toast.  Look for them to dump players into waivers and call up young guys to get experience.  That's where they're heading for 2011.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Tampa is fading even quicker than I expected.  The Rays and Jays are fairly equal talents at this point and may be for quite some time. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

that 1-0 extra inning game they lost to the sox was the beginning of the end for them

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

good pitching is what it is all about, but they need runs pure and simple. they knew going into the season that they were going to have trouble replacing crawford and pena and signed manny and damon in hopes that that would do the trick. we know how that turned out.
    their outfield ba is about .235 and they do have jennings coming on strong, but he is a ways away.
    it actually looks like they started believing their own press and outsmarted themselves.
    they have mind boggling depth at starting pitcher and couldn't flip anyone for a stud hitter? you mean to tell me that the yankees wouldn't think about montero plus for shields? or the angels with trout? or nationals with harper?
    they also could have packaged upton. i think they really whiffed on the season. they are still a tough out but so are the blue jays and i think that rays management were probably aiming a little higher than comparisons to the 2011 blue jays.
    time and again world series winners are represented by two ace pitching staffs. they should have made a deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

I've got crow to eat.  Two weeks ago, I posted that they wouldn't fade. 

They did.  I'm wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Tampa Bay is not Going Away: Part 5:
    [QUOTE]Moonslow is obviously a stealth mod, locking his own old thread. Season not over, Rays still in it, so I'm going to repost his thread. Rays are currently 10 LC out and 3rd place in the WC, and 11 LC out of the East division. Tampa Bay Is Not Going Away

The same way you are in stealth mode about Tek's big hit and Ellsbury's reverse pivot walkoff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

good pitching is what it is all about, but they need runs pure and simple. they knew going into the season that they were going to have trouble replacing crawford and pena and signed manny and damon in hopes that that would do the trick. we know how that turned out. their outfield ba is about .235 and they do have jennings coming on strong, but he is a ways away. it actually looks like they started believing their own press and outsmarted themselves. they have mind boggling depth at starting pitcher and couldn't flip anyone for a stud hitter? you mean to tell me that the yankees wouldn't think about montero plus for shields? or the angels with trout? or nationals with harper? they also could have packaged upton. i think they really whiffed on the season. they are still a tough out but so are the blue jays and i think that rays management were probably aiming a little higher than comparisons to the 2011 blue jays. time and again world series winners are represented by two ace pitching staffs. they should have made a deal.
    Posted by kbair
    Actually there is no way the Angels are trading Trout for more pitching or the Nats are trading Harper right now.

Upton is a hard sell for them. You can only publicly chastize a player for being laxidazical so many times and get max value for him. Anybody who would have wanted Upton wasn't sending an immediate offensive upgrade to them, that would have been counter productive. It would be like the RS sending Beckett to get Velander. Where's the net gain?

The Rays are a team that is in a bad market, not just small market but bad market. The fanbase has not rewarded their winning at the gate and that certainly limits their flexibility.

I am not sure they outsmarted themselves as much as they did what they had to do and it just did not pan out completely. They did an amazing job of completely rebuilding the bullpen but the offense has fallen short.

I would have thought the bullpen would have been the harder to sustain but  it was hard to forecast a 100 point drop in OPS for Longoria after he came off of the DL. And in light of Pena and Crawford leaving his productivity was critical to their run production.

Fuld's quick start probably masked issues the delay of Jennings arrival caused them too.

But I think they were quite smart not to do anything rash to try and not go away in 2011. I always took the statement that they weren't going away did not mean they'd take WC or the Division only that they'd be a factor in the race and would be a potential threat into September. It was wise of them not to make short term moves to do that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I haven't gone anywhere. I have admitted I was wrong, so there's not much more to say.

You blasted me for bringing the thread to the top every few days: time to blast yourself now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

i think now that tampa is no longer a contender, they should move out of that baseball poor community and donate their ballpark to the people in charge of dealing with the dead.
    it would make a wonderful mausoleum. and it would be the right thing to do.
    in florida there are never enough RIP places.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

i think now that tampa is no longer a contender, they should move out of that baseball poor community and donate their ballpark to the people in charge of dealing with the dead. it would make a wonderful mausoleum. and it would be the right thing to do. in florida there are never enough RIP places.
    Posted by the___yazzer

yeah that place is a zombie palace.  scary stuff.  i had a nightmare actually that i was there and all these zombies were ringing cowbells as loud as they could ... oh wait ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay is not Going Away: Part 5 : yeah that place is a zombie palace.  scary stuff.  i had a nightmare actually that i was there and all these zombies were ringing cowbells as loud as they could ... oh wait ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

see spaceman, we can agree to agree sometimes. one thing though, i believe that place is even too depressing for the walking dead.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The Ray's difference this year is timely hitting. Over the past 4 years they have been 13th in hitting 3 times and 8 once. Their pitching and defense are overall the same. They are missing the timely hitting that they got from Pena and the SBs from Crawford.

As great as some profess the Rays pitching to be the RS ERA is .20 less and WHIP is .03 more. Does that mean the RS have as good a pitching staff if as some suggest the Rays have a great BP and SP?????? Let's not forget the RS play in a smalller park.

Lastly maybe if the team stopped saying how bad the place is maybe fans would go. All the time you hear how bad the place is to play in, how hard it is too get to and that it is a blight compared to other cities.

Well they signed a lease for 26 more years, it was built for them in a place where they and MLB agreed to. IMHO it is a far better place to watch a game from any seat as opposed to Fenway. It is also very easy to get in in and out of. I can leave for a game and get there in 45 minutes and be home within an hour of the game ending and I live 50 miles away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

If Tampa Bay is not going away.. will you go away?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

I hope they keep the stadium in that area, or better yet, move to more central Florida. I'm moving to Lake Mary, and would love to see a game closer to home. I can't wait to attend some Rays games despite being a diehard Red Sox fan and hope the franchise stays in Florida and relatively close to central Florida.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Florida doesn't deserve MLB because their isn't a market for it. Move it to Greensboro and it will flourish.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Stick a fork in them, their done.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Toronto will be ahead of them end of this week. 

Can't stand them.  Period.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2 teams over a 61% winning percent in the same division in pretty amazing. 

After those 2, there are quite a few teams bunched up in the middle. However, teams like TB and Toronto have no chance, while others are still in their division races...

Tex  61-50
    LAA 60-50 (-.5 from Tex)
    Det  59-51
    TB    57-52 (out of it)
    Tor   56-54 (out of it)
    Cle   54-54  (-4 from Det)
    CWS 52-56 (-6 from Det)

Cleveland is a much talked about team. They'd be 13.5 behind the Sox or more if they played the tougher schedule.

7/14 teams still in it in the AL.
    8/16 teams still in it in the NL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

It says something about the AL East when teams in the Central and West still have a fair shot at winning their division, but virtually no shot at winning the WC.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Half my reason I thought TB would be "in it to the end" was that I did not forsee the Yanks being this good with that staff "on paper" going into the season. I thought the AL East would beat each other up and the WC team would make it with about 91-94 wins. It looks like the WC team (NY) is headed for a 100 win year. So, bash me some more softy: I was actually wrong twice: wrong about NY (by about 8 wins) and wrong about TB (by about 4 wins).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Moon provided intelligence with stats, facts and polite appropriate conversations.

Softy is baiting someone with a thread meant to start conflict in his normal mean-spirited and angry way, spreading his misery and hating on posters/sox fans and players

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Florida doesn't deserve MLB because their isn't a market for it. Move it to Greensboro and it will flourish.
    Posted by softylaw

Move the Rays to NC and have the Marlins play 30-33 games in TB.

Sections
Shortcuts