Tampa Bay Is Not Going Away: Part IV

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tampa Bay Is Not Going Away: Part IV

We are nearing the halfway point and TB refuses to "go away".

They are on pace for 91.5 wins. Assuming they continue at their curent pace, and with Longoria back & healthy, I still think they will be in the race until the end.

They replaced Pena with Kotchman (.866 OPS).
    They replaced Crawford with Joyce (.906 OPS) and Fuld (.661 & 16 SBs).
    Aybar with Damon (.737).
    Barrett with Brignac (.446), Johnson (.620) and Rodriguez (.722).

The pen 3.68 (1.252 WHIP) from 2010's  3.33  (1.174).
      Farnsworth  1.99 (0.853)

The starters 3.61 (1.190) from 2010's 3.99 (1.292)
      Shields  8-4  2.29 (0.962)  29 years old
      Price      8-6  3.51 (1.060)  26
      Hellick.  7-6  3.09 (1.140)  24
      Davis     7-5  4.32 (1.440)  25
      Cobb      2-0  3.41 (1.310)  23
      Nieman  2-4  5.58  (1.413) 28
        All under 30!

Not going away!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Re: Tampa Bay Is Not Going Away: Part IV

Why start a new thread, and this early?

The reality you are missing is the strength of schedule and how early it is in baseball reality terms. Dog days require the ability to make quality moves. The Rays do not have the benefit of the start they had a year ago. They also do not have the quality of players to survive dog days and "not go away".

In baseball, the real start of the competition for true contenders begins in July. Surely you've followed baseball long enough to see that. The Yankees will make a pitching move to improve their staff, and the Red Sox are in a position to make a quality move as well.

Playing Houston does wonders for false confidence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They closed the last thread, and I wanted to remind people how the same clown who said TB would "go away" last year, is singing the same clown song this year.

They have a young staff. The dog days of August should not effect them as much as the older staffs. Plus, they have 6 capable starters and Sonnanstine.

They have some money left over from the Manny debacle and could trade for a key role piece (probably in the pen).

They are stockpiled in the farm at all levels: they could get help from there as well.

I did notice after a bad streak a while ago, the sample size was large enough for you to comment on it, not a few games later, it is suddenly too small to judge... hmmm....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

They obviously need to close this thread, too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay Is Not Going Away: Part IV:
    [QUOTE]They closed the last thread, and I wanted to remind people how the same clown who said TB would "go away" last year, is singing the same clown song this year. They have a young staff. The dog days of August should not effect them as much as the older staffs. Plus, they have 6 capable starters and Sonnanstine. They have some money left over from the Manny debacle and could trade for a key role piece (probably in the pen). They are stockpiled in the farm at all levels: they could get help from there as well. I did notice after a bad streak a while ago, the sample size was large enough for you to comment on it, not a few games later, it is suddenly too small to judge... hmmm....
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

The Rays are hanging tough but the schedule has definately been in their favor.  They also have a few bucks to make a move to help their cause but personally, I need a larger dose against better teams before believing they can stay close in the end.

It should be a great race!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

The Rays could be going away for good soon.  Obviously there's been talk of realignment, but I just heard from the Reds broadcasters that as part of the realignment, there's been talk of the Rays going to the NL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

That alone is a sad idea.... as is re-shuffling Tampa will help their plight.  

Anyone following hockey? You will see the dimwits there are moving the latest Atlanta franchise, and again its back to Canada.  Not only that but its Winnipeg, and of course the old Winnipeg team is in Phoenix. I wager in 15 years they try again to put a team in Atlanta and then end up moving it to Quebec City.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]The Rays could be going away for good soon.  Obviously there's been talk of realignment, but I just heard from the Reds broadcasters that as part of the realignment, there's been talk of the Rays going to the NL.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    not gonna happen. most of their revenue come from the sox and yankee series.
    NL teams won't pull in as many fans in this area.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tampa Bay Is Not Going Away: Part IV : not gonna happen. most of their revenue come from the sox and yankee series. NL teams won't pull in as many fans in this area.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.  It would turn Tampa into a perennial playoff team.  Certainly that would have a chance to boost interest in the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Sorry, it was the Tampa announcers who are very pro Reds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tampa Bay Is Not Going Away: Part IV : I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.  It would turn Tampa into a perennial playoff team.  Certainly that would have a chance to boost interest in the team.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    perhaps, but they already are close to perennial playoff team and stands are empty..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tampa Bay Is Not Going Away: Part IV : perhaps, but they already are close to perennial playoff team and stands are empty..
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

And yet they're in danger of becoming the 4th best team in their division.  Toronto is gaining on them very quickly.  No move is going to happen without Tampa's owner approving it and I'd assume that the owner has more insight into the implications of a move than we do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

All Tampa has to do is make a move for the short-term and acquire Jose Reyes. Also a second minor move to add a bullpen arm would be a worth-while investment. That is it.

I see no reason whatsoever to not trade some top prospects to the Mets right now to get Reyes (If I were the GM of Tampa).

No reason to re-build when you already have a team that has been winning for 3 straight seasons that includes 2 first-place titles, and still has a strong nucleus from these years.  In short, they are winners.

If you are a Tampa organizational member you have to forget the lack of fans as it does not matter to them what you do - do it for yourselves, the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

"The price to get Reyes would be twofold. For one, the Rays would need to absorb his post-trade salary. If he is traded on July 31st, that would mean the Rays would be paying him $3.67 million for two months of baseball. To put that number in perspective, he would be making $1 million more for two months of baseball than David Price will make for the whole year."  bleacher report

How can anyone in Tampa not be willing to pony up this small amount of baseball dollars and send a couple of their better prospects out of town?  Win while you can .... there is no guarantee that Tampa will have a second re-surgrence five years from now just because they held onto their prospects.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Rays were willing to spend $2 million on Manny, and I am sure that deal must have had some incentive clauses... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

MLB should end the Rays experiment in Tampa. Contraction will be good for MLB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Agree in full... I have beaten that drum to dust.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterdeadthanred. Show betterdeadthanred's posts

In Response to Tampa Bay Is Not Going Away: Part IV:
    [QUOTE]We are nearing the halfway point and TB refuses to "go away". They are on pace for 91.5 wins. Assuming they continue at their curent pace, and with Longoria back & healthy, I still think they will be in the race until the end. They replaced Pena with Kotchman (.866 OPS). They replaced Crawford with Joyce (.906 OPS) and Fuld (.661 & 16 SBs). Aybar with Damon (.737). Barrett with Brignac (.446), Johnson (.620) and Rodriguez (.722). The pen 3.68 (1.252 WHIP) from 2010's  3.33  (1.174).   Farnsworth  1.99 (0.853) The starters 3.61 (1.190) from 2010's 3.99 (1.292)   Shields  8-4  2.29 (0.962)  29 years old   Price      8-6  3.51 (1.060)  26   Hellick.  7-6  3.09 (1.140)  24   Davis     7-5  4.32 (1.440)  25   Cobb      2-0  3.41 (1.310)  23   Nieman  2-4  5.58  (1.413) 28     All under 30! Not going away!

Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

And why not start a thread about your significant other's (harness) prediction about the orioles coming in 2nd in the ALE?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

All Tampa has to do is make a move for the short-term and acquire Jose Reyes. Also a second minor move to add a bullpen arm would be a worth-while investment. That is it.

They don't often pay big for big-named rentals, but they do have a lot of prospects and may see this as their "window year". However, I think they will do something(s) on a smaller scale.
    I see no reason whatsoever to not trade some top prospects to the Mets right now to get Reyes (If I were the GM of Tampa).

No reason to re-build when you already have a team that has been winning for 3 straight seasons that includes 2 first-place titles, and still has a strong nucleus from these years.  In short, they are winners.

They seem to like to stay competitive every year and keep their future in place.

If you are a Tampa organizational member you have to forget the lack of fans as it does not matter to them what you do - do it for yourselves, the team.

Baseball has a history of having teams that win the Worls Series without selling out much at all. I remember some teams didn't even sell out the playoffs games. It's a shame they don't get much support, but there are advantages such as little fan/media pressure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

FWIW as recently as last Friday Olney reported that the Rays had feelers out as a seller. Farnsworth and Upton were the key guys mentioned in the report.

Now it would dismay all 17 Rays season ticket holders (yeah I know they have more). But it may be a smart play if the RS and NYY opened up some distance again.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They "sold" Kazmir in August of 2009, and Bartlett & Garza before this year, but they still remain strong.

They could turn into "sellers" this year, but I think they will be in the hunt at the deadline. Remember, they dealt Kaz in late August, so...

This stretch may tell all:

July4-6 @MN3
    7-10 @ NYY 4
    15-17 v Bos 3
    18-21 v NYY 4
    then a 10 game western trip (3 @ KC, 4 @ Oak, and 3 @ Sea) up to the deadline.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox 45 wins
    TB   45 wins

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

It's easy to call them losers, faders or whatever other tag is applied here, but bottom line is that they are playing as well as the Sox and Yankees so far this year.  There is a lot of young talent on that team - especially pitching and right now neither the Sox or the Yankees seem to have any real grip on pitching.  I give them a fighting chance to take the wild card, especially if the Sox and Yankees continue to pile up those player injuries.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yeah I can't see this being a year they should throw away just for the sake of the future... they are after all in the same division as two of the richest teams in baseball.  How can they possible risk that they might be stronger in 2 or 3 years?

Go for it now.. winning is winning.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They have such a deep farm system that they could trade 3 good prospects for help this year and still have a very bright future.

I think this might be the year they "go for it all"an make a couple deals to bolster their chances at a ring.

My main point has not been to expose softy's idiotic notions on the Rays, although that has been easy to do, but to show that this team is managed well. No other team has 2 division wins in the last 3 years (especially in the toughest division in MLB) and a farm (future) as strong as TB does.

They are not going away, this year of for quite some time.

Great pitching wins games, divisions and championships. TB has some great young starters, and many of them already have pressure and playoff experience under their belt. Even the resident clown has said baseball is all about pitching, but for some reason, he'd rather forget all that than admit I have been right about TB last year and this. He was horribly wrong last year and looks to be just as wrong this year as well. Only time will tell. I will still be here to admit I was wrong, if TB "goes away early", but we all know the clown will have had 8-10 new identities and erased statements to deny.

Sections
Shortcuts