Tampa Bay Rays Will Not Go Away: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Tampa Bay Rays Will Not Go Away: Part III

Longoria will, he was on the DL a bit and struggles while. Zorbist may or may not improve but I do believe he led the league in extra base hits.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It's amazing that the Rays can do so well with not much of a payroll and even less of a fan base. They play in the worst stadium in MLB, yet seem to be in the thick of things come September.
    Says a lot for the character of their team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay Rays Will Not Go Away: Part III:
    [QUOTE]If it wasn't for the greatest collapse in MLB history, we'd have never won.  A 7 game post season series does not make for the greatest collapse in MLB history, Mr. zero for infinity. That dubious distinction belongs to the greatest season collapse in MLB history, the 2011 Boston Red Sox. Still waiting for Tim Wastefield's 1 million dollar contract offer, along with Ortiz to sit v. LHP in 2011.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Hate to enter in the middle but I have to say that for all it's faults, the Tampa teams (Rays and Lightning) have character and heart. They struggle with lower payrolls, weak attendance and a lack of respect among the fans of other teams. The impression of Tampa is stuck about 10 years back which makes me wonder if people like you, Mr. Hank, actually watch the Tampa games or just rely on posting what you hear and read from others. You are stuck in the "greatest collapse groove" like a broken record and unwilling to concede that there was more to that. Did Maddon know on Sept. 1st that your team would collapse? The answser is NO. Yet he pushed his players to believe they have a chance and by gawd, the team showed up to play baseball. Your team played the field, not baseball and that is a lesson to be learned. Stop using the collapse as an excuse, you're whining. 
    "never been a contender". Are  you kidding me? Have you not paid attention to anything south of Fenway? They played in the WS in 2008 and have been in the playoffs the last 2 seasons. And there is good reason to believe they are going to be competing quite strongly against your Sainted Sox this year (assuming two healthy teams). 
    I, for one, am looking forward to an exciting season and I hope both teams come out strong in April. It'll make for a great summer - and we'll be sitting in A/C in our ratty stadium, cheering for a winning team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE] I'm looking at it this way: I'd rather be a team that scores 800 runs and lets up 700, than one that scores 900 and lets up 800. The former will almost always win more games even though they have the same run differential. I don't have the data in front of me, but I'd even bet that a team that scores 800 and lets up 700 will win more than a team that scores 900 and lets up 780.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Other than from a possible entertainment perspective, your logic is unassailable.  Extend it:  How successfull would a team be that scored 162 runs in a season and gave up 0?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tampa Bay Rays Will Not Go Away: Part III : Hate to enter in the middle but I have to say that for all it's faults, the Tampa teams (Rays and Lightning) have character and heart. They struggle with lower payrolls, weak attendance and a lack of respect among the fans of other teams. The impression of Tampa is stuck about 10 years back which makes me wonder if people like you, Mr. Hank, actually watch the Tampa games or just rely on posting what you hear and read from others. You are stuck in the "greatest collapse groove" like a broken record and unwilling to concede that there was more to that. Did Maddon know on Sept. 1st that your team would collapse? The answser is NO. Yet he pushed his players to believe they have a chance and by gawd, the team showed up to play baseball. Your team played the field, not baseball and that is a lesson to be learned. Stop using the collapse as an excuse, you're whining.  "never been a contender". Are  you kidding me? Have you not paid attention to anything south of Fenway? They played in the WS in 2008 and have been in the playoffs the last 2 seasons. And there is good reason to believe they are going to be competing quite strongly against your Sainted Sox this year (assuming two healthy teams).  I, for one, am looking forward to an exciting season and I hope both teams come out strong in April. It'll make for a great summer - and we'll be sitting in A/C in our ratty stadium, cheering for a winning team. 
    Posted by vcec[/QUOTE]

He's admitted he doesn't "bother to watch the games", so there's your answer.

His hatred towards the Rays is most likely based on the same reason he hated Theo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tampa Bay Rays Will Not Go Away: Part III : He's admitted he doesn't "bother to watch the games", so there's your answer. His hatred towards the Rays is most likely based on the same reason he hated Theo.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

On a completely different note, I am looking forward to the insightful postings by you and a few others on this board. I'm not trolling (I promise lol) I just enjoy the insights of knowledgeable fans who are passionate about their team but are able to see the strengths of other teams and players in the league. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

31:
    Keppinger
    Beckett
    Dice-K
    C Ross
    Shoppach
    32:
    Youkilis
    33:
    Lackey
    D Mac
    34:
    F Rodney
    C. Pena
    N Punto
    35:
    Farnsworth
    Peralta
    Luke Scott
    36:
    D Ortiz

While our list of important players 31 and over has shrunk a lot from previous years, the Ray's list is very telling. They often us the pen as a revolving door of older vets on short one or two year contracts. Pena and Scott also seem to be easily replacable going forward.

28:
    Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Lester
    29:
    J Niemann
    A Gonzalez
    Aceves
    Albers
    30:
    J Shields
    Ben Zobrist
    Sam Fuld
    JP Howell
    (Badenhop, De La Rosa) 
    Crawford
    Aviles
    Jenks

We appear to have more key players in their prime, and maybe this factor will lift us above the Rays this year. It's hard to imagine, but there is a possibility that Pedey, Jacoby, AGon and or Lester have their best year in 2012. They are right in their prime.

26:
    D Price
    Longoria
    W Davis
    S Rodriguez
    B Guyer
    R Brignac
    Bard
    Melancon
    Salty
    Morales
    A Miller
    Mortensen
    27:
    BJ Upton
    M Joyce
    B Gomes
    C Ramos
    J Lobaton
    (R Chirinos, E Johnson)
    Buchholtz
    R Sweeney
    A Bailey

The Rays have a bunch of solid players in this group. They are still young enough to take  step backwatds, but my guess is that most will improve. The Sox have some players in this group as well, and we will be needing them to excel.

22:
    Matt Moore
    (Iglesias)
    23:
    (Archer, Colome)
    (Kalish, Middlebrooks, Lin)
    24:
    J. Hellickson
    Alex Cobb
    (A Torres) 
    Doubront
    (Lavarnway, Lars Anderson)
    25:
    Desmond Jennings
    Jake McGee
    (Tazawa, Bowden)

The Rays certainly count on this age group more than us, and they have3-4 players they will be counting on this year to produce. Poor production here could give us the chance to take advantage and place ahead of the Rays.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

They struggle with lower payrolls, weak attendance and a lack of respect among the fans of other teams.

Unlike the Marlins, they have earned the label of losers from many years of being losers or pretenders. They have never been contenders. You need to be humble and admit that the greatest collapse in baseball history allowed your lousy team to make a quick entry and exit from the post season.

And Moonshwemp uses hatred like all Leftists, to crybaby about people who say what he doesn't like to read. I don't hate InEpstein or the Rays, but InEpstein is an entertainment business idiot who was gifted a baseball job. As for the Rays, I pulled hard for the Rays to beat the Yankees, late last year, when they claimed to be playing with a sense of urgency and lost 3 out of 4 games in Yankee stadium. Yes, they backed into it playing lousy baseball, and you and a few others are the only delusional minds who called them "contenders".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Times reports that the Rays and manager Joe Maddon have agreed to a three-year contract extension.

An official announcement is expected on Wednesday. It's hard to find a more deserving candidate, as Maddon holds a 495-477 record over six seasons as manager in Tampa Bay and has led the club to the postseason in three out of the last four years. His previous deal was set to expire after the 2012 season. 

Source: Marc Topkin on Twitter Feb 14 - 12:15 PM

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pike2. Show Pike2's posts

Hey, this just in, Joe Maddon's contract was just extended three years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Madden deserves the extension. This could be his year as many Rays are now entering their prime or early prime years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays have been blasted for having a poor offense over the years. They have been carried by their pitchers more often than not. 

The Rays placed 15th in runs scored last year with 707 runs scored. However, they were just 12 runs away from 12th place28 runs away from 7th place.

I don't see a big improvement on offense this year, but there is potential for some gains. Here's a look at the 2012 Rays offense as compared to the 2011 Rays (by position).

C   .194  17  53  (.274/.333/.607) Jaso 255/Shopp 248/Chir-Lob 92
    1B .288  10  51  (.357/.388/.745) Kotch 562/Johnson 71/Others 35
    2B .262  20  86  (.343/.451/.793) Zobrist 457/Rodriguez 157/EJ 17
    3B .231  34 109 (.335/.466/.801) Long 469/ Lopez 70/Rodr 69
    SS .193    9  45  (.256/.282/.539) Bignac 264/Rodr 155/EJohn 146
    LF .241  20  64  (.313/.406/.720) Fuld 278/Jenn 248/Rugg 74/other 86
    CF .257 24  87  (.341/.440/.781) Upton 558/Jenn 29/Others 25
    RF .261  19  88 (.338/.436/.774) Joyce 465/Zobrist 144/others 65
    DH .260  18 77 (.320/.424/.744) Damon 536/Others 82

Changes this year:

1B: No Kotchman: Replaced by Carlos Pena. 
    Kotchman .306  10 48 (.378/.422/.800)
    DJohnson  .119    2   4 (.187/.202/.389)
    Total:         .288  10  51 (.745 OPS)
    Projected 
    Pena:         .220  25  85 (.775 OPS)

No Damon: Replaced by Luke Scott. 
    Damon:  .261  16  73  (.743 OPS)
    L. Scott  .265  20  75  (.800 OPS)

No Jaso/Shopp: Replaced by Molina/Lobaton/Chirinos 
    (maybe a slight loss, but hard to project. Remember, the catcher OPSlast year was .607!)

Zobrist will probably be the FT 2Bman, Rodriguez the FT SS, and Jennings the FT LF'er. These 3 changes should help improve the offense, since it will lessen or eliminate the PAs of these guys:
    346 S Fuld .240/.313/.360/.673
    264 Bignac .193/.227/.221/.448
    181 E. Johnson .194/.257/.338/.595
    111 Ruggiano    .248/.273/.400/.673
    102 F Lopez       .216/.248/.320/.567

That's about 1,000 PAs reduced to maybe 200-300. They should be replaced by more PAs by these guys:
    Jennings 287>637 (+350)  .805 OPS (Over Fuld/Rugg)
    M. Joyce 522>622 (+100)  .825 OPS (Over Fuld/Rugg)
    Longoria 574>674 (+100)  .850 OPS (Over Brignac/E.J.)
    Rodriguez 436>586 (+150) .679 OPS (Over Bignac/E.J.)

Also, consider this:

Longoria was hurt in 2011 and could bounce back and have huge gains on offense. He was between .874 and .889 from ages 22-24. He is 26 now coming off an "off year" of .850. I could see him going over the .900 mark, especially if Pena and joyce hit well around him.

Matt Joyce turns 29 in August. He is in his prime. We could see an increase in his .825 OPS of 2011. Hard to tell.

Zobrist had a .948 OPS in 2009 at age 28. He is 30 now and turns 31 in May. It is certainly possible for him to greatly improve on his .822 OPS of 2011. (One could also argue he could decline towards his .699 mark of 2010 as well).

I really think the move of Zobrist to FT 2Bman, and the establishment of Sean Rodriguez at SS and Jennings in LF will make a big difference on the offensive differential between 2011 and 2012. 

Any increase in rays offense will make it very difficult for the Sox to overtake them, since it appears their pitching can only improve.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

[QUOTE]They struggle with lower payrolls, weak attendance and a lack of respect among the fans of other teams. Unlike the Marlins, they have earned the label of losers from many years of being losers or pretenders. They have never been contenders. You need to be humble and admit that the greatest collapse in baseball history allowed your lousy team to make a quick entry and exit from the post season. And Moonshwemp uses hatred like all Leftists, to crybaby about people who say what he doesn't like to read. I don't hate InEpstein or the Rays, but InEpstein is an entertainment business idiot who was gifted a baseball job. As for the Rays, I pulled hard for the Rays to beat the Yankees, late last year, when they claimed to be playing with a sense of urgency and lost 3 out of 4 games in Yankee stadium. Yes, they backed into it playing lousy baseball, and you and a few others are the only delusional minds who called them "contenders".
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

I am definitely not delusional and you bore me. I do want to say, though, that I actually laughed out loud having a Sox fan tell me I need to humble. You got knocked down so hard last season you gotta look up to see the underside of an ant. And BS about pulling for the Rays against the Yankees, your intentions were purely selfish. You thought (as many others did ) that your team would have an easier time beating Tampa than NY. How'd that work out for ya? Be sure to check the weather in Baltimore before making any road trips. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Forget mr hanky. He admits he doesn't even watch the games. It shows.

Sections
Shortcuts