Tanaka favors Boston, New York, and Los Angeles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonman1025. Show Bostonman1025's posts

Tanaka favors Boston, New York, and Los Angeles

According to WEEI, through a tweet from a reporter in SF.

This might be good news. If he wants us and we can take one of the top pitchers off the market it would create a new market for our SP already on the roster through trade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Tanaka favors Boston, New York, and Los Angeles

In response to Bostonman1025's comment:

This might be good news. If he wants us and we can take one of the top pitchers off the market it would create a new market for our SP already on the roster through trade.

I completely agree, both the Sox and Yanks also have fellow japanese players on their teams that could end up being a factor but I doubt we get real serious.  The Yanks and Dodgers will probably offer him cars, boats, multiple homes or possibly his own bank to get him.

If the Sox ever landed Tanaka our options moving foward could be endless considering our already present staff and deep farm system.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

both the Sox and Yanks also have fellow japanese players on their teams that could end up being a factor

while I think we both know it will be mostly about the money

I'm thinking the yanks have an edge in the player reference game

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

both the Sox and Yanks also have fellow japanese players on their teams that could end up being a factor

Not sure Kei Igawa or the "Fat Toad" Irabu feel the same way...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

How do you figure?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I think the Yanks have the edge period pal.  The Yankees need pitching badlly and I'm sure would prefer Tanaka over a Santana type so this may be their best opportunity to get it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

actually I read igawa had a great time in the states

gawd knows he got paid well

I'm thinking

-whether it has merit or not

DiceK has some blame for the sox for not allowing him to due things his way

- both kuroda and superstar ichiro resigned with the present nyy team

- heard he was a big matsui fan

and perhaps the biggest player reference comes from an ex yankee

who was on tanaka's team last yr

what do U think king

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I think the Yanks have the edge period pal.

Smile. Actually two smiles.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I'm thinking

and perhaps the biggest player refereence comes from an ex yankee

what do U think king

You guys also gave up on Matsui eventually didn't you?  I think Tanaka will go with the best possible deal.  Dice K. won't be a factor, his arm gave out on him and was never really the same.  Thats a bit different and another factor may be how long guys like kuroda and Ichiro are around which may not be long.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I'm thinking

what do U think king

I don't think that the 'player reference' thing is as big a deal nowadays.  With such a large influx of Asian players, spread throughout MLB and through the minors..and more on the way, the Yankees are no longer the clear cut favorite as I think they were even 3-4 years ago.  I think it's really leveled out.  I think the only advantage that the Yanks MAY have is the fact that....well, it's New York City.  There is more exposure and the possibility of more endorsements....however, even that is not what it once was with the HUGE expansion of social media and a billion different ways that MLB can now market their product and the several new TV deals out there.

As mentioned earlier, Tanaka is going to simply look for the best deal out there.  I somehow doubt that a Kuroda and Ichiro, who really will not be playing with Tanaka for 85% of his contract, will have ANY effect on his decision.

With all of that said.........I think he signs with the Yankees.  Their pitching top to bottom has potential to be one of the worst staffs in the East....if not the AL.  Obviously that will change though as they simply will not stand pat.  I expect them to sign 2 out of Garza, Tanaka, Santana, Jimenez......and I think a darkhorse could be Arroyo.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

king

As mentioned earlier, Tanaka is going to simply look for the best deal out there. 

I agree and said so to start my post

I somehow doubt that a Kuroda and Ichiro, who really will not be playing with Tanaka for 85% of his contract, will have ANY effect on his decision.

I mostly agree

my point was only that nyy had more than the sox going for it in the

player reference game, and it wasn't about playing with said players

as much as asking them how they liked it

With all of that said.........I think he signs with the Yankees. 

Their pitching top to bottom has potential to be one of the worst staffs in the East....if not the AL. 

U mean if he doesn't sign ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I'm thinking

what do U think king

I don't think that the 'player reference' thing is as big a deal nowadays.  With such a large influx of Asian players, spread throughout MLB and through the minors..and more on the way, the Yankees are no longer the clear cut favorite as I think they were even 3-4 years ago.  I think it's really leveled out.  I think the only advantage that the Yanks MAY have is the fact that....well, it's New York City.  There is more exposure and the possibility of more endorsements....however, even that is not what it once was with the HUGE expansion of social media and a billion different ways that MLB can now market their product and the several new TV deals out there.

As mentioned earlier, Tanaka is going to simply look for the best deal out there.  I somehow doubt that a Kuroda and Ichiro, who really will not be playing with Tanaka for 85% of his contract, will have ANY effect on his decision.

With all of that said.........I think he signs with the Yankees.  Their pitching top to bottom has potential to be one of the worst staffs in the East....if not the AL.  Obviously that will change though as they simply will not stand pat.  I expect them to sign 2 out of Garza, Tanaka, Santana, Jimenez......and I think a darkhorse could be Arroyo.....

I think the Stienbrenner's will still go to any extent to land the best players regardless of where the payroll ends up.  The problem is it simply doesn't and hasn't worked since the the Yankees grabbed CC, AJ and Tex together.  There are way too many teams with strong farms, better chemistry and less payroll these days that have wiggle room to compete without a ton of long term contracts tying them down. 

The Dodgers are falling into the same trap.  They have a HOF owner but from a completely different sport and just extended Mattingly who will probably never be a Tommy Lasorda championship calibar manager.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I think the Stienbrenner's will still go to any extent to land the best players regardless of where the payroll ends up.  The problem is it simply doesn't and hasn't worked since the the Yankees grabbed CC, AJ and Tex together.  There are way too many teams with strong farms, better chemistry and less payroll these days that have wiggle room to compete without a ton of long term contracts tying them down.

it sounds a tad over the top craze

need I remind U the yanks were in the alcs only 1 yr ago

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Another player who costs a lot of money and amazingly like most others he really really really wants to play in NY, BOS, LA. Not impressed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

king

As mentioned earlier, Tanaka is going to simply look for the best deal out there. 

I somehow doubt that a Kuroda and Ichiro, who really will not be playing with Tanaka for 85% of his contract, will have ANY effect on his decision.

I mostly agree

player reference game, and it was about playing with said players

Their pitching top to bottom has potential to be one of the worst staffs in the East....if not the AL. 

The way their staff is now....it is not good...at all.  But that's why I said they would not stay pat so it's a moot point on my part. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Reading the interested, involved, and insightful posts here -

who can get a photo giblet like Zac's but Zac (the early connection at YS) -

I think the race is between LA and NYY.  

LA is so much closer to the homeland, has deep pockets, and has proven they wanta win.  Not sure if the community there is stronger than in NY (which is strong), but it would seem so, historically. 

The Boston-Japan connection seems to be so much more a happy thing after the surprise arrival of Koji.  Dice-K was a great get for the Sox for more than just the WS win.  And I argue that it was terrificly positive in JAPAN in an awareness of the Hub.  Prior to that moment, Seattle and NYC had the best awareness in MLB connections were the highest places to consider.  LA metro maybe the 3rd ... but Boston?  What was a boston, papa-san?  We know what a yanqui is ....  

My younger son taught himself conversational Japanese...and his facination with the Japaneses culture was a great place I could tie into when I said, "Hey, look, the Red Sox have just made a big splash in Japan!  We actually have an official page connection there! (Which came about largely because of the Dice-K signing.  We took their hero and they were all of a sudden interested in Boston.)

All that being said, having a better standing than a decade ago, we are still newcomers.  We are not in need of the top flight arm (I know, no such thing as too much pitching) but we can effect the COST for LAD or NYY (I like that part) though neither team will flinch in paying.  ESPECIALLY now that A-Rod is a no go .... $24 Mill back in the coffer for the EE.    

Dice-K, finally and repeatively, was worth much more to Boston than the sub-standard years after the WS year.  I decline to go into the conversation of how the Sox handled his arm/pitching practices.  I honestly don't know what is involved, though I do have my opinions.  What I do know is that Boston is now a place of choice not a "Dirty (back) Water."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

king

I mostly agree

player reference game, and it was about playing with said players

The way their staff is now....it is not good...at all.  But that's why I said they would not stay pat so it's a moot point on my part. 

It's still to early to conclude one way or the other what the Yankees will do from this point forward. Everyone including the most ardent fans, Hal and Hank Stienbrenner, Levine and Cashamn as well as Girardi understand that as comprised they simply don't have enough quality arms on thier 25 man roster to compete in the AL East and project long term success over the coarse of 162 game schedule. In the end it comes down to the ownership group and just how committed they are to staying under the luxury tax limits. Short of approving a budget that exceeds 200M they don't have the money's to sign anyone...even with Arod's money coming off the books. 

We shall soon find out the answer to that question. my guess is that if they do sign Tanaka they'll push all thier chips to the middle of the table and sign one of Garza, Jimenez, Arroyo or Santana...Then turn there attention to addressing their bullpen where they could then use guys likes Phelps and Pineda. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The Yankees have been in the PS quite often Zac but they never really have the pitching to match up once they get there these days.  The year they grabbed CC, AJ and Tex they landed the top three FA's on the market and won the Title.  Since then, in my opinion there have been a lot more teams willing to compete for the best players so the Yankees pickings, below average farm, prior long term contracts and ongoing injuries have never allowed them to build a well rounded team again.

The Yanks really need to build their staff and Tanaka would be a great start.  Signing him would be another long term high priced commitment but at least the guy is young and seems like the type who may give them a return on the investment like CC did for a few years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I completely agree, both the Sox and Yanks also have fellow japanese players on their teams that could end up being a factor but I doubt we get real serious. The Yanks and Dodgers will probably offer him cars, boats, multiple homes or possibly his own bank to get him.

If the Sox ever landed Tanaka our options moving foward could be endless considering our already present staff and deep farm system.

If Ben has been sitting and playing possum this whole time and swoops in to get Tanaka... I could very well have beyong a new respect for BC and the Red Sox.  The most likely scenario is that this is Tanaka's agent leaking things to the media in order to create the biggest market possible for his client.  He is taking a page from Boras 101 and pitting the Red Sox against the Yankees (and now the Dodgers).  That way he can squeeze every dime out of the big market teams.

I would be stoked if we did sign him since it would allow us to trade an aging arm in Dempster... but to me this smells of agent games.  I'm not going to get my hopes up too much here. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think the Yanks have the edge period pal.  The Yankees need pitching badlly and I'm sure would prefer Tanaka over a Santana type so this may be their best opportunity to get it.

x10 with ARod's money off the books next year... you can pretty much pencil the dude on the lineup card from this point forward IMO... that move gives the Yanks $24 million in luxury-tax savings + the cost of the actual luxury tax hit... about $35 million or so.

Of course I would like to see Tanaka signed by the Sox, but realistically speaking... this is like the Tampa Bay Rays trying to outbid us when we are serious about a player.  After this year, ARod's salary goes down to $21 million, $20 million and $20 million even though his luxury tax calculation will be $27.5 million.  I can see him renegotiate a deal with a team after the Yanks will likely trade him to along with half his salary. 

The Yanks have a public image issue right now and signing this kid would be a good step to getting the fans think they can compete next year.  It would even get fans like myself of the Red Sox worried that they could indeed compete next year as well if they sign this kid and get CC to bounce back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Since 1993, the Yankees have finished first or second every year except for 2008 and last year.  The Yanks won the world series in 2009.  Any Red Sox fan that doesn't respect the Yankees ability to pull winning seasons out of their wallet are not realistic.  I'm 37 and have seen enough times in my life when I was counting them out and they surprised me and I don't underestimate the Yanks ever.

The ARod savings, not just through his $24 million... but the luxury tax hit on top of that is so enormous that it can't be understated.  It negates the need to get under the limit for the year because that is how much they would have saved.  In 2016 the rules change and there is less motivation for the Yankees to get under the limit... so I see this as the Yankees bridge plan until that time.  The wallet will be opened and opened up wide in the Bronx.  If they don't sign Tanaka after this ARod decision will be a worse feeling with the Fans than losing Cano IMO.  Simply put, the Yanks HAVE to sign him where we don't have to take such a big risk with our prospect pipeline. 

Seeing the Yankees motivated to win now is like seeing a mama bear with her cub in danger... that is when the bear is most dangerous and this is a clear call for the Yanks to sign the kid. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The Yankees have been in the PS quite often Zac but they never really have the pitching to match up once they get there these days.  The year they grabbed CC, AJ and Tex they landed the top three FA's on the market and won the Title.  Since then, in my opinion there have been a lot more teams willing to compete for the best players so the Yankees pickings, below average farm, prior long term contracts and ongoing injuries have never allowed really allowed them to build a well rounded team again.

The Yanks really need to build their staff and Tanaka would be a great start.  Signing him would be another long term high priced commitment but at least the guy is young and seems like the type who may give them a return on the investment like CC did for a few years.

Craze,

the Yankees model will be put to the test in the next three years. First and foremost in the short term the question remains just how committed they are to staying under 189M luxury threshold for 2014 or rather how much they're willing to go over to address what are currently fatal flaws in thier roster. The answer to that question will come in the next two weeks...

Looking forward beginning in 2015 and beyond they will have more financial flexibility, but will also have needs with replacing Jeter at SS likely the number 1 priority and ending the Arod saga a close second. The good news for them is they'll likely be two or three very attractive SS on the market after this year...the bad news is that they won't come cheap and will cost them a draft pick to sign...therein lyes the rub.

The attrition of forfeiting draft picks has a cause and effect on thier organizational depth and thier payroll...in 2009 they forfeited thier top three picks players that today would be on the cusp of making thier ML roster and playing for league minimums Or could have been used as chips in a trade. I'm pretty certain that given the championship they won in 2009 having to so it over, they do it again. However they are paying the price for that today. So in order to rebuild what is a very thin system at some point they have to find a balance. Where in years past they could stock pile international free agents to replace picks they've lost signing free agents, with the new CBA that luxury no longer exists. 

My guess is that they'll find a balance, arrive at a number that works and refocus on getting under the cap next year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

Since 1993, the Yankees have finished first or second every year except for 2008 and last year.  The Yanks won the world series in 2009.  Any Red Sox fan that doesn't respect the Yankees ability to pull winning seasons out of their wallet are not realistic.  I'm 37 and have seen enough times in my life when I was counting them out and they surprised me and I don't underestimate the Yanks ever.

The ARod savings, not just through his $24 million... but the luxury tax hit on top of that is so enormous that it can't be understated.  It negates the need to get under the limit for the year because that is how much they would have saved.  In 2016 the rules change and there is less motivation for the Yankees to get under the limit... so I see this as the Yankees bridge plan until that time.  The wallet will be opened and opened up wide in the Bronx.  If they don't sign Tanaka after this ARod decision will be a worse feeling with the Fans than losing Cano IMO.  Simply put, the Yanks HAVE to sign him where we don't have to take such a big risk with our prospect pipeline. 

Seeing the Yankees motivated to win now is like seeing a mama bear with her cub in danger... that is when the bear is most dangerous and this is a clear call for the Yanks to sign the kid. 

There are still a few things that could throw a twist in NY's plan to sign Tanaka.

The Yanks

Tanaka may want a few fellow japanese players around him during his contract.  I could see the Yanks offering Tanaka more money but how much more and would it be worth all the drama that has surrounded the Yankees in recent years? 

Boston

In my opinion a much more laid back atmosphere to play in than Yankee stadium.  We also have few fellow japanese players and 3 WC's in the last decade.  Our farm is strong and we don't have a bunch of high priced ego's in the clubhouse or drama like we did in 2012.  The question here is whether we have any interest in Tanaka.  We have six or seven decent SP's and maybe that many more who could advance to the majors in the next year or two. 

The Dodgers

Almost a mirror image of the Yankees these days throughout the clubhouse.  A lot of high priced injury prone players who in my opinion but even more so than the Yankees because I also feel they lack the right owner and manager to succeed.  They may have a better farm than the Yankees but still need another top pitcher or two and players to stay healthy to have any shot next season.

Texas - My dark horse selection

Again a much more laid back atmosphere to play in and a team with good players and a strong ownership, not to mention getting to play with Darvish. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Masahiro Tanaka updates from Sunday, January 12, 2014:

Tanaka returned to Japan on Saturday after spending about fifty hours in Los Angeles — four days, two nights.
    He got a physical and then met with at least six MLB teams.
    Over thirty reporters were at the airport in Los Angeles (he avoided the media by using a separate check-in counter) and Narita (he did not respond to questions by the media).
    The trip to the United States was most likely about getting the physical out of the way to address any concerns teams might have about his health.
    Teams most likely did not present any specific contractual terms during their meetings with him. Discussions likely focused on things like team environment and facilities.
    He will resume him training in the Kanto region until the 17th.
    Source: Nikkan Sports 1/12/2014, Sponichi 1/12/2014

[UPDATE @ 3:19pm]

Sports Hochi believes it might come down to three teams: New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Source: Sports Hochi 1/12/2014

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Sports Hochi believes it might come down to three teams: New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

TWM,

If true the Angels and Yankees are the teams with the greater need and more likely to make an offer he can't refuse. Of those two the Yankees SOP has been to counter another teams best offer by adding a couple of million to the AAV plus a year. 

That said, I also wouldn't discount a team like the Cubs or Phillies from jumping in and making a very compelling offer...

Sections
Shortcuts