Tandem Closers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Tandem Closers

In Response to Re: Tandem Closers:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tandem Closers : You called it right last year - Putz was the guy to get.  Terrific year for AZ.   I think somebody signs Papelbon long-term, but it's a bit of a bad year for him.  The two 'big-market' teams with the biggest needs that might otherwise go for him (LAD & NYM) are in financial turmoil.  Maybe the Twins or Cubs bite, but it's a lot of money to spend on one need, when they obviously have multiple others to address. The one bullpen arm I might sign in FA is Joel Perralta - terrific year, and would not cost much.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Several of us wanted Putz, but the reports at the time was that he wanted to be a closer, not set-up, but I guess money talks. We may have been able to offer more and get him here. We also could have traded Paps and saved millions with Putz as our closer.

Sidenote: remember, the Silly Clown also wanted Wheeler ($3M/1 and Oki $1.75M/1 = $4.75M/1) for about the yearly cost of Putz, Downs, Crain, Guerrier, or Fuentes. 

Other top choices were more realistic "gets", since they did not insist on a closer role were Crain, Guerrier, and Downs. It was not sure if Fuentes would accept a non-closer role or not, but I did mention him as well.

WHIP/ERA   (IP)
    Putz          0.914/2.17   (58)  $10M/2 including 3rd year buyout or $15M/3

My perhaps more "realistic" choices:
    1) Jesse Crain   1.240 / 2.62  (65 IP)  $13M/3 
    2) Scott Downs 1.006  / 1.34  (54 IP) (LHP) $15M/3
    3) M. Guerrier   1.266  / 4.07  (66 IP)  $12M/3
    4) B. Fuentes    1.234 / 3.70  (58 IP)  $10.5M/2

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Several of us wanted Putz

False. You and other lackeys wanted Jenks and applauded it. Wheeler whip was low and Oki was quite decent after DL in 2010 but was demoted due to Wastefield roster spot et al.

Do what you do best, rainman. List Adam Dunn's contract costs, the player you wanted as a long term replacement for Ortiz back when you were whining about Ortiz needing to sit v. LH pitching. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Several of us wanted Putz False. You and other lackeys wanted Jenks and applauded it. Wheeler whip was low and Oki was quite decent after DL in 2010 but was demoted due to Wastefield roster spot et al. Do what you do best, rainman. List Adam Dunn's contract costs, the player you wanted as a long term replacement for Ortiz back when you were whining about Ortiz needing to sit v. LH pitching. 
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

You opted for Wheeler, and he disappeared in Sept. His low WHIP is academic.
    He couldn't cut it in high-leverage situations. Thus, his "disappearance".

Oki signing was also poor for all concerned. He wasted away in AAA when he could have helped an N. L. team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

You opted for Timmy T-Ball and Jason Vorhees. Both didn't cut it and were not able to stand up straight in September, hunched over and drinking beer and talking about next year's ceremonial Friday the 13th Part 5 FA gift contract offers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I think the idea could work.  If Paps walks it might be hard to bring in a "closer type" without promising the full closer role, but I do think Bard is ready to be at least given a shot at the role. His issue seems to be stamina, so limiting his IP next year (via "tandem") might work.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

It's always refreshing to see how openly you accept new ideology.
    You are a visionary.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Wrong. Both cut it. Tek starts, got the best of his pitchers, and team plays .667 ball. The bottom line is winning.

Wrong. Wastefield was a laughing stock and Miller was bumped despite his solid road ERA and Aceves was in AAA while Timmy T-Ball ate potato salad in early April.

Tek is a joke and cannot be assigned a person winning % catching baby sitter Beckett.

And in September, Jason was a disaster no matter who was pitching.

Harnut, get real, Varitek is a 40 year old washed up waste of time and money.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Varitek and Timmy T-Ball cost about 6 million to ride a bench and stink it up. Oki cost 1.75 M and Wheeler 3M. Wheeler had a low whip and Oki only had 7 appearances in april and may and gave up only 1 run in final 6 appearances. Both cost over a 1M less than your favorite losers.

The only reason Varitek and Timmy T-Ball were on the roster was the Epstein falling for the good ole boy factor. Oki was treated like garbage and Wheeler fulfilled his pen role quite decently. Jenks, your favorite, was a total bust as I said he would be.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Varitek and Timmy T-Ball cost about 6 million to ride a bench and stink it up. Oki cost 1.75 M and Wheeler 3M. Wheeler had a low whip and Oki only had 7 appearances in april and may and gave up only 1 run in final 6 appearances. Both cost over a 1M less than your favorite losers. The only reason Varitek and Timmy T-Ball were on the roster was the Epstein falling for the good ole boy factor. Oki was treated like garbage and Wheeler fulfilled his pen role quite decently. Jenks, your favorite, was a total bust as I said he would be.   
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Maybe Theo was caught up in his fandom. When he goes to the Cubs he will have no problem ridding the team of baggage and losers, like Soriano and Zambrano.
    Why? Because he will rationally weigh their pros and cons and make the right decision. Something he should have done earlier with Bartles and James.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Wake and Tek stumping for the next favorite clubhouse refreshment...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Outstanding Youk!

Wastefield and Varitek made the clubhouse a retirment lodge for washed up players who play old timers baseball on a MLB active roster!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Softy gets booted yet again.
    Wanna take any bets on his next persona?