Taz-mania

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Taz-mania

Just dropping some love for the kid.  Many of us, however silly in our expectations, were excited to see Junichi's return to the bigs.  He was still very raw in his cup o' coffee in '09, but I thought he showed a serious competitive je-ne-sais-qoui.  

He has looked real good thus far.  Sure, he got into a little trouble in his second inning of work last night, but a. he got himself out of it, b. he had 4 strike outs (all with a fastball around 90) and c. he still hasn't given up a run.  Might be just the youthful step-up infusion the beleagured pen needs.  He may not have much smoke on his cheese, but lets call it like it is, he has filthy stuff.  Wicked movement on his breaking pitches, a u-got-clowned change-up, and the fearlessness to throw anything in any count.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Taz-mania

0% owned in Fantasy Baseball.... I shall rectify that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Taz-mania:
    [QUOTE]0% owned in Fantasy Baseball.... I shall rectify that.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

can't believe you beat me to that.  guess i havent had the requisite cups of coffee this morn.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

lol. It's a mistake probably... but what the heck I will be rooting for him anyhow in real ball.... it would be great to see him become part of an improved pen.

I was going to offer a trade to you, Taz straight up for Josh Hamilton  Tongue Out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I would exercise extreme caution on Tazawa.  He's not that good.  Although, if he can keep the ball WAY down in the zone he CAN be effective......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Taz-mania:
    [QUOTE]Just dropping some love for the kid.  Many of us, however silly in our expectations, were excited to see Junichi's return to the bigs.  He was still very raw in his cup o' coffee in '09, but I thought he showed a serious competitive je-ne-sais-qoui.   He has looked real good thus far.  Sure, he got into a little trouble in his second inning of work last night, but a. he got himself out of it, b. he had 4 strike outs (all with a fastball around 90) and c. he still hasn't given up a run.  Might be just the youthful step-up infusion the beleagured pen needs.  He may not have much smoke on his cheese, but lets call it like it is, he has filthy stuff.  Wicked movement on his breaking pitches, a u-got-clowned change-up, and the fearlessness to throw anything in any count.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Nice to have someone that Valentine can trust the most.

Get rid of Albers and Padilla.   Call up Cook

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]I would exercise extreme caution on Tazawa.  He's not that good.  Although, if he can keep the ball WAY down in the zone he CAN be effective......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

What's that assessment based on?  He looked very good in the minors before his injury, and we're just now seeing him back to full health.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taz-mania : What's that assessment based on?  He looked very good in the minors before his injury, and we're just now seeing him back to full health.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
     Its based on hard statistics slomag:  Andrewmitch is leading the board with a .974 Sox bashing percentage.  So, with eye-popping numbers like that, there is little chance that the relatively unproven Junichi Tazawa would get anything but totally destroyed by him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taz-mania : What's that assessment based on?  He looked very good in the minors before his injury, and we're just now seeing him back to full health.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Ask Longoria and ARod.........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taz-mania : Ask Longoria and ARod.........

You assessed Tazawa as 'not that good' after his first ever game at the mlb level, at age 23, because he gave up a home run to a future hall of famer?  I'm glad you're not one to rush to judgement :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

nope.  I judged him based on his "stuff".  He was just floating it up there - high in the zone 88-89 MPH and flat and up.  It has been that way his entire ML career.  Now, I have seen him this year keep the ball down and create nice movement.  So we have to see which version we get.  Right now, I would be very cautious.  that's all I said I believe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]nope.  I judged him based on his "stuff".  He was just floating it up there - high in the zone 88-89 MPH and flat and up.  It has been that way his entire ML career.  Now, I have seen him this year keep the ball down and create nice movement.  So we have to see which version we get.  Right now, I would be very cautious.  that's all I said I believe.

Very interesting.  Baseball is an fascinating sport.  We can watch the same game and see two totally different things.  If you are talking about last nights performance, I saw Taz moving all around the zone (yes, some pitches up, some of those intentional, some not), and anything but flat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Very interesting indeed...please go back and re-read what I wrote as I said he has looked better so far this year......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]nope.  I judged him based on his "stuff".  He was just floating it up there - high in the zone 88-89 MPH and flat and up.  It has been that way his entire ML career.  Now, I have seen him this year keep the ball down and create nice movement.  So we have to see which version we get.  Right now, I would be very cautious.  that's all I said I believe.

MLB.com had his 4-seamer clocked as high as 94 last night, and never below 90.   http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_04_26_bosmlb_chamlb_1&mode=gameday

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Very interesting indeed...please go back and re-read what I wrote as I said he has looked better so far this year......

no need.  i read that.  but, what are you comparing this year to?  A cup of coffee in '09 in the kid's first season of American pro ball?  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

based on your post, scouting is pointless.  why bother seeing what a kid could do in HS or College?  Only how he does RIGHT NOW IN THE ML matters......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]based on your post, scouting is pointless.  why bother seeing what a kid could do in HS or College?  Only how he does RIGHT NOW IN THE ML matters......
     Au contraire mon frere.  I am basing my view on scouting reviews and performance history.  I am asking what you are comparing his good start to that makes you so concerned about him.  If it is his 2009 cup o coffee, then you are doing what you are accusing me of doing.  I am going off of the competitiveness and arsenal of pitches, and certainly the rawness and lack of overpowering fastball, I personally saw in 2009.  But also, the stats and great reports coming out of Pawtucket last year and his strong spring.  When we take that into consideration, it is hard to jump to a conclusion that what we saw in 09 is what we get in '12,

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

nope.  I judged him based on his "stuff".  He was just floating it up there - high in the zone 88-89 MPH and flat and up.  It has been that way his entire ML career.  Now, I have seen him this year keep the ball down and create nice movement.  So we have to see which version we get.  Right now, I would be very cautious.  that's all I said I believe.

Not true. Taz has hit 93, and is 91-92 often.

He's got a good curve too. His change-up and slider could improve, but this kid has real potential. I like what I've seen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I've never seen him come close 93 but OK....Like I said, I'd be cautious because I don't think his stuff is very impressive although his slider down in the zone is pretty wicked which I hadn't seen until this year.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Even in 2011 he averaged 91.8 mph on his fastball.  The only time he was 88-89 was when he was likely injured prior to having TJ.  Since his return from surgery, his velocity has been much improved.  Seems as though Andrew is focusing too much on pre TJ Tazawa, of which there is only a very small sample for healthy data.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

That was a great 3 innings last night.  Baby, it was cold outside. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I could be wrong, we'll see.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taz-mania : Very interesting.  Baseball is an fascinating sport.  We can watch the same game and see two totally different things.  If you are talking about last nights performance, I saw Taz moving all around the zone (yes, some pitches up, some of those intentional, some not), and anything but flat.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You weren't the only one who saw the good stuff.  I don't always catch the movement on curves or breaking pitches.  A couple of his last night looked like they broke over the plate and then back in on the lefty he was facing .... and the two Muzac announcers that call White Sox games tookk note too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to "Re: Taz-mania": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taz-mania : You assessed Tazawa as 'not that good' after his first ever game at the mlb level, at age 23, because he gave up a home run to a future hall of famer?  I'm glad you're not one to rush to judgement :) Posted by slomag[/QUOTE] In his first start against the yankees didn't he go six innings and only give up to runs (after he had only been at double a ball)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sure, his best start by far but

he got shelled in the others - sometimes you can get lucky when you have poor stuff but usually you get shelled - and he did

and his first appearance was the ARoids Walk-Off......