Tazawa as a starter 2013? 43 K, 5 BB in 40 IP, a K/BB ratio of 8.6. Pedro Martinez's K/BB in 1999 was 8.46. Thoughts?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Tazawa as a starter 2013? 43 K, 5 BB in 40 IP, a K/BB ratio of 8.6. Pedro Martinez's K/BB in 1999 was 8.46. Thoughts?

I really hate it when people compare pitchers to Pedro, it's really unfair to the pitcher in question. There was only one Pedro, and we won't be seeing his like anytime soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Tazawa as a starter 2013? 43 K, 5 BB in 40 IP, a K/BB ratio of 8.6. Pedro Martinez's K/BB in 1999 was 8.46. Thoughts?

Sure!  Anything to keep Lackey out of the SR!!!!!!

They must deal Lackey!  MUST!  The morons now singing his praises, as they did with the return of Dice-K this year, are out of their minds!!!!  One would think that nobody could match what Dice-K has done in his come-back, but Lackey could be the one exception!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Lackey is an Angel saboteur sent here to destroy our team as payback for 1986 among other things.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Both must be given a shot next Feb. when pitchers report. My best guess, and holding the most chances for the long run, would be Tazawa. I love the guy!

Lackey could surpirse, and will be given a good look, that's for sure.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I've been waiting for this kid. People wrote him off, much the same as they did with Doubront, far too prematurely. He was a prospect in Japan when he came here, had TJ Surgery, and is just getting back into the swing of things.

As a side note, he chose the Red Sox because he idolizes Dice-K when he came to America. Maybe Dice can yet give something back to the Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

The idea of moving Tazawa to the rotation is a little bit scary if you ask me.  Remember that it was just about 11 months ago that the Red Sox started talking about moving Bard to the rotation and now he is incapable of throwing even one clean inning at any level.

At some point, it is just fine to have guys in the bullpen who are pitching very well even though I fully understand the value of good starting pitching.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I, for one, hope that Lackey can make a great recovery for next year.  The team needs pitching, he will be untradeable until he does pitch well and every win he earns is one more than he has had this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Lackey will be here in 2013, so no point whining about him.  If you don't like Lackey, I can't imagine you would be too fond of any player he was capable of getting in a trade...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tazawa started 20 games in the minors in 2009 & 4 in the majors.

Tazawa started 8 games in the minors in 2011.

I don't think it is the same situation as with Bard.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Keep him right where he is, he's having success in the relief role.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Why change Tazawa where he is at his best? This team has no sure reliever except Tazawa going to 2013.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Tazawa started 20 games in the minors in 2009 & 4 in the majors.

Tazawa started 8 games in the minors in 2011.

I don't think it is the same situation as with Bard.

I like Junichi, he could turn out to be a real asset.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Sure!  Anything to keep Lackey out of the SR!!!!!!

They must deal Lackey!  MUST!  The morons now singing his praises, as they did with the return of Dice-K this year, are out of their minds!!!!  One would think that nobody could match what Dice-K has done in his come-back, but Lackey could be the one exception!

i said it several months ago, i wouldnt want lackey anywhere near the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lackey WILL be here in 2013 so everyone should get used to it. He very well could give you 14-15 wins and 200IP. Time will tell. As a Sox fan Im hopeful for him that he does do well. If he does, they could move him since his contract will include a league minimum paycheck for 2015. But that wouldnt happen til July or next offseason anyway.

As far as Tazawa goes. He was a starter in the minors and had a few starts in MLB. He should be given a chance for a starters job. There is absolutely NO comparison to Bard. NONE. Bard couldnt repeat his delivery, had poor control and always got murdered the second or third time through a lineup (if he actually made it a 3rd time through). Thats why he was moved to the BP. Tazawa just had TJS and they put him in the BP out of necessity and to ease him back into things. Lets not all get gun shy about this situation because of Bards situation. One has nothing to do with the other. Morales' situation is closer to Bards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I agree comparing Bard to Tazawa is ridiculous.   Will Bards name be thrown around every time a pitcher hs a relief outing and a scheduled start in the same season?

But, even though different, I prefer Tazawa in the pen next year.  He has had a good 40IP run, but it isn't enough to mandate a position swwwitch or give an indication of the future...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I agree comparing Bard to Tazawa is ridiculous.   Will Bards name be thrown around every time a pitcher hs a relief outing and a scheduled start in the same season?

But, even though different, I prefer Tazawa in the pen next year.  He has had a good 40IP run, but it isn't enough to mandate a position swwwitch or give an indication of the future...

Aceves is as good as traded. We will need another long relief guy for 2013. Taz might be that guy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't understand wanting to keep him in the pen - we're getting one good inning a game out of him, but it's not making any difference at all.  If he started, he could prevent the other team from scoring six runs by the seventh, and then we might actually post some Ws.

We do have other reliable relievers - Atchison, Melancon (1.1 WHIP since his callup), Miller, Hill, Morales & Bailey should be enough to finish most games if our starters go 6 strong.

If we put Taz in the rotation, Lester pitches more like his career norm, Buch continues to pitch like he has since mid-may, and Lackey gives us at least what he did in 2010, we can contend for the playoffs, even if we do nothing on offense.  If we add a Peavy or Kuroda, we can hedge against some of those 'ifs' without committing to a ton of years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We do have other reliable relievers - Atchison, Melancon (1.1 WHIP since his callup), Miller, Hill, Morales & Bailey should be enough to finish most games if our starters go 6 strong.

There's also Breslow (2.82/1.152), Mortensen (2.70/1.173), and maybe a return of an effective Bard as a set-up man.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Tazawa should get a chance to join the rotation in Spring training .  To say our starting pitching is a problem area, is an understatement.  If it does not work , he can go back to the pen.  Let's not become paranoid because of Bard.

Sections
Shortcuts