Tazawa / Morales

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Tazawa / Morales

Now that the bullpen seems a little crowded with the addition of Hanrahan, could either Tazawa or Morales start the year at AAA to get stretched out as a starter? Both seem like they have the potential to be impact starting pitchers. It doesn't look like there will be any open spots in the rotation barring injury and after the Bard fiasco, would they try this again?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Tazawa / Morales

In response to tripleb2066's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that the bullpen seems a little crowded with the addition of Hanrahan, could either Tazawa or Morales start the year at AAA to get stretched out as a starter? Both seem like they have the potential to be impact starting pitchers. It doesn't look like there will be any open spots in the rotation barring injury and after the Bard fiasco, would they try this again?

[/QUOTE]

not too sure. RDLR is almost definitely going to be starting the year at AAA and we're going to be slotting him in ASAP. probably wouldn't be a bad choice to park one of morales or tazawa in there too although i would think they are more valuable to the team in the BP where they can still get stretched out to start while contributing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You can stretch them out during their off season workouts and in ST as a starter, but start them in the pen. I imagine Morales would be a good long reliever and Tazawa would be #7 while staying in 7-9th inning situations.

Its easier to stretch them out and go to the pen as opposed to the other way around. I wouldnt be surprised if Morales even had a couple scheduled starts in the first month or 2.

Tazawa came here as a starter before TJS. Thye brought him back in the pen to get him some work. With injuries and pitchers not doing well, he got a shot and has dominated in that role. Personally, Id like to see how he does as a starter, but Im very impressed with his late inning work and make-up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

tazawa has arguably the best stuff on the staff

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Since coming back from TJS his FB has reached 97 but mostly 94-96. Before he was in the low 90's and didnt seem to have quite enough seperation between FB and offspeed stuff. His offspeed stuff also didnt have as much "bite" as it does now. Tazawa has always had good stuff, but now its like hes almost unhittable if hes on his game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok, so if everyone is healthy, where does Morales start the season? Rotation, pen or Pawtucket?

Red Sox manager John Farrell said Saturday that Franklin Morales will open spring training as a starter. Morales was used primarily as a reliever last season, but ended up finishing the year in the starting rotation. He posted a 3.77 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 76/30 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings before being shut down with a shoulder injury in September. John Lackey (elbow) is also expected to be available for the start of spring training. Dec 1 - 3:02 PM Source: Pete Abraham on Twitter[/QUOTE]

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok, so if everyone is healthy, where does Morales start the season? Rotation, pen or Pawtucket?

Red Sox manager John Farrell said Saturday that Franklin Morales will open spring training as a starter. Morales was used primarily as a reliever last season, but ended up finishing the year in the starting rotation. He posted a 3.77 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 76/30 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings before being shut down with a shoulder injury in September. John Lackey (elbow) is also expected to be available for the start of spring training. Dec 1 - 3:02 PM Source: Pete Abraham on Twitter[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The pen I imagine, unless something happens to one of the 5 starters. It is possible he could have a scheduled start or 2 at the start of the season. It would appear he will be the #6 though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The pen I imagine, unless something happens to one of the 5 starters. It is possible he could have a scheduled start or 2 at the start of the season. It would appear he will be the #6 though.

[/QUOTE]

Something always happens to one (or more) of our starters. I'd like to have Morales and Tazawa stretched out enough to be spot starters and long relief men. One may get a chance to start a lot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Something always happens to one (or more) of our starters. I'd like to have Morales and Tazawa stretched out enough to be spot starters and long relief men. One may get a chance to start a lot.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, thats what Im thinkin'...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Right now it looks like the PawSox rotation is pretty set with RDLR, Webster, Chris Hernandez, Drake Britton and Steven Wright.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Morales is out of options and has been for sometime.  I believe Tazawa has no options left as well.

Either player would have to clear waivers to go to Pawtcuket, and neither player would clear...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Morales is out of options and has been for sometime.  I believe Tazawa has no options left as well.

Either player would have to clear waivers to go to Pawtcuket, and neither player would clear...

[/QUOTE]

mortenson is also out of options

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think someone gets packaged in a big trade, at least thats my hope anyway.  If not we could possibly have one of the best pens in baseball next season.  We may need that to bail out our SP more often than last season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

End of the day every team enters the spring with the goal of having 5 quality starters in the rotation with a couple of guys in the system to provide depth...

The 2013 Red Sox; Lester, Buccholz, Dempster, Lackey & Doubront all are locks if healthy to open the season as our primary starting five. Tazawa, Morales & Aveces all can be used as spot starters. That's 8 guys with Morales and Aceves having already proved they're capable of giving the team 5 or 6 quality innings in the longman role...Tazawa is the wild card in the equasion...I wouldn't dismiss the idea that they'll likely add another vet to the aquasion. With simliar profiles of Cook and Millwood. A vet that want the chance to pitch in the spring to showcase himself, who'd also be open to starting the year in AAA...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm hoping they convert him back into a starter.  Four pitches, throws 94, pinpoint location.

He's too talented to be a seventh inning guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox should make sure that Tazawa does not keep in touch with Dice-K.  I do not want Dice-K to give Tazawa bad advice.   LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox should make sure that Tazawa does not keep in touch with Dice-K.  I do not want Dice-K to give Tazawa bad advice.   LOL

[/QUOTE]

LOL.

Dice-K: I think your problem is that you dont throw 200 pitches before each start.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'd have been happy with not signing Dempster and letting Morales/Tazawa/Aceves/DeLaRosa/etc compete for the 5th starting spot in ST. I really like the potential in that group.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd have been happy with not signing Dempster and letting Morales/Tazawa/Aceves/DeLaRosa/etc compete for the 5th starting spot in ST. I really like the potential in that group.

[/QUOTE]

I have a sneaking suspicion that De La Rosa and Tazawa will get at least a couple of starts in 2013.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

both were pitchers early on in their careers.tazawa in japan and morales in colorado.but i like your thought.we already have breslow,miller and possibly rich hill again if resigned.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Those pen arms will not carry much weight in any trade. Better to keep them all. Tazawa and Morales can both spot start and transition into a bottom tier starter role.

[/QUOTE]

Tazawa, Morales, Breslow, Aceves, Miller, Bailey all have value. Some more than others depending on the teams needs. I bet any team would trade for Tazawa after seeing him last year.

Sections
Shortcuts