Tazawa named closer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Tazawa names closer

http://nesn.com/2013/05/junichi-tazawa-to-close-for-red-sox-in-joel-hanrahans-absence-according-to-john-farrell/

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Tazawa named closer

I'm not so concerned about the closer as the availability of those that have been taxed up to now. Hopefully someone will be brought up today, perhaps someone capable of long relief, when Hanny goes to the DL. Joe C and Merloni were talking about Dempster warming last night and said he was having difficulty getting loose. Perhaps we'll see Doubie inserted tonight and Dempster moved back a day.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Could be a good choice getting to him is the real issue right now but Andrew miller has gone 7 scoreless so maybe hell take some of the work for set up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Damn, Papelbon, couldn't you just take a discount and stay with the Red Sox?!?    LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I find the need to name a "closer" to be form over substance. The Red Sox have had 3 "closers", so let's hope that the other two get out of bed before too long. I like Tazawa, much better than Hammerhand and the pretzel, Bailey.

That's for the update, Ben.

A closer a role to be filled in the BP. I realize you are not the smart when it comes to baseball, but you need to name a close in order to defines roles. Without define roles, bullpen do actually performance worse. Some of that is because if someone isn't  good enough to close it means you your BP is just not that good, but a large part is that people in all walks of life perform better knowing their job. Remember it is noted you wanted Tazawa in AAA to start the season for Aceves because "Aceves was the only good pitcher in the bullpen". 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

RP's like to know their roles.  especially in modern times.  to think that it is not prudent for an organization to "name" a closer is like living in the 1800's.  get with the times law.  there is even a DH now in one of the leagues!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I find the need to name a "closer" to be form over substance. The Red Sox have had 3 "closers", so let's hope that the other two get out of bed before too long. I like Tazawa, much better than Hammerhand and the pretzel, Bailey.

That's for the update, Ben.

Tell that to any player or manager in pro baseball. I am sure they will be really interested in what an odd little person like you thinks.

Tazawa is the only choice. Uehera can't go every day. Hopefully Bailey is back soon, hopefully Hanrahan doesn't come back for a while.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Logical.  Who else?

Not sure what softlaw is getting at with respect to form vs. substance.  The substance is that Tazawa, right now our best reliever, will close.  The form is that the manager announced it.  Seems to me form and substance fit very nicely together.  

Were softlaw managing, he would probably either not announce it, or say something like, "finally, I can go with the best I got and not those two overpaid phonies Cherington picked up.  Here's hoping they stay at Pawtucket because we don't need them."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Damn, Papelbon, couldn't you just take a discount and stay with the Red Sox?!?    LOL

I was firmly of the opinion that the Phillies overpaid in both years and dollars, and time may still bear me out on that position.

However, Papelbon did have a bounce-back year last year, and looks to be doing well again this year. Most importantly, he's consistently been healthy, something his replacements have been unable to accomplish. It's beginning to look like letting him walk was a mistake. Time will tell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I hereby dub our new official back-end "Japanther"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

As long as he can collect 3 outs without giving up bombs or walking the planet every time like Hanrahan, he'll be fine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to crix's comment:

As long as he can collect 3 outs without giving up bombs or walking the planet every time like Hanrahan, he'll be fine.

Sadly true.  I am definitely not a Hanrahan fan. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It would not be too surprising if we have seen the last of Hanrahan. Very possible. Stay tuned. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Aceves....he's tanned, rested, and ready...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It would not be too surprising if we have seen the last of Hanrahan. Very possible. Stay tuned. 

I would be really surprised.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I would be really surprised.

He'll be back when hes better

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Heres a look at some more possible bullpen help...

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/05/potential-red-sox-bullpen-reinforcements.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Softlaw, I think your criticism of Farrell is ill-founded.  Rare is the MLB manager who has a qualified closer and doesn't announce him as such.  I'm not all that devoted to the idea of the closer, but it is a fact that the Sox have not been good at closing this year with 9 saves in 15 possible saves.  And you better believe Tazawa and almost anyone else would want to be announced as the closer.  It was even a big deal when Hanrahan came back and Farrell said Bailey would remain as the closer.  With the good closers, there is in fact a psychological element in knowing they are in fact the closer for a given team. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

nothing more overrated than a "closer"  JT will do fine in the role...just like Bailey did in oakland and Hanrahan in Pittsburg....their shelf life is a few years of dominance unless youre a freak like Mariano (or even paplebon)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I like it but I hope it's a short stint. Hopefully Bailey comes back in the next 2 weeks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Question---Sept. 2011...do you really want that again? They all blow games except for" MR the Great"  and the kid from Atlanta.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Question---Sept. 2011...do you really want that again? They all blow games except for" MR the Great"  and the kid from Atlanta.

Paps has been pretty much "Lights out" this year. That, and he stays healthy.

Also, Mo has blown quite a few games to the Sox. His longevity has made him an even better closer.