Tazawa named closer

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: Tazawa named closer

Never understood why you dont Draft a Closer. You acquire one. Everything in Baseball is Specialized nowadays. College no exception.

I think Tazawa is going to be a heck of a Closer though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Never understood why you dont Draft a Closer. You acquire one. Everything in Baseball is Specialized nowadays. College no exception.

Because some very good closers were once starters like Papelbon. Sometimes you donr know you drafted a future closer. Taz could turn out to be another one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Because some very good closers were once starters like Papelbon. Sometimes you donr know you drafted a future closer. Taz could turn out to be another one.

Mariano Rivera was also a failed starter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Mariano Rivera was also a failed starter.

Most are

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Softlaw, I think your criticism of Farrell is ill-founded.  Rare is the MLB manager who has a qualified closer and doesn't announce him as such.  I'm not all that devoted to the idea of the closer, but it is a fact that the Sox have not been good at closing this year with 9 saves in 15 possible saves.  And you better believe Tazawa and almost anyone else would want to be announced as the closer.  It was even a big deal when Hanrahan came back and Farrell said Bailey would remain as the closer.  With the good closers, there is in fact a psychological element in knowing they are in fact the closer for a given team. 

Maybe softy wants John to announce a "closer by committee".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Softlaw, I think your criticism of Farrell is ill-founded.  Rare is the MLB manager who has a qualified closer and doesn't announce him as such.  I'm not all that devoted to the idea of the closer, but it is a fact that the Sox have not been good at closing this year with 9 saves in 15 possible saves.  And you better believe Tazawa and almost anyone else would want to be announced as the closer.  It was even a big deal when Hanrahan came back and Farrell said Bailey would remain as the closer.  With the good closers, there is in fact a psychological element in knowing they are in fact the closer for a given team. 

Maybe softy wants John to announce a "closer by committee".

yeah, cause that worked so well last time...but, it would make sense for the soft one and his team philosophies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With the way the Red Sox pen is being used, Manager John had better learn to use them all without this "he's coming in here and he's not coming in here and................".

The only relief pitcher on the "high side" of IP so far is Uehara. He pitched 65 innings back in 2011, but is 38 years old now. He's on pace for about 65 IP this year, so far.

Others are on pace for...

Mortensen  84 (can handle the long man role, since he was a starter before)

Tazawa  70 

Uehara  65

Bailey    60 (with injuries, who knows)

Wilson  58

Miller    43

Hanrahan 37 (with injuries and performance, who knows)

Breslow  ??

Bard  ??

Doubront to the pen ???

Webster, Wright, others ???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Since a "closer" can't close many times, who cares about the players' agent creation of "closer".

This is like when you said batting order didn't matter and wanted Jason Bay to lead off.