Tazawa

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Tazawa

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tazawa has good stuff...I remember being excited about him a few years ago then he stunk it up when called up, (not that bad, but less than stellar)   Now he looks great.  I'm not sure on making him a starter, I hate to reference Bard because it doesn't always work out that way.  It wouldn't hurt to give him a look in ST, extend his innings and look at how his arsenal looks the second time through the lineup.

But it seems to me they have already made the decision to keep him in the bullpen,  Some guys stuff is just so much better in shorter bursts.  It's easy to look at them and say WOW they are good, wish I had that for 7+ innings every 5 days but reality is they are pitching in relief for a reason.  Yeah I know some guys have the stuff to start and end up in the bullpen as a necessity, and a breakthrough to the bigs but honestly I don't know enough about to Tazawz to have a strong opinion either way.

I know this.....I've like what I've seen this season. 

[/QUOTE]

He was a starter and only became a reliever because of TJS. I wouldnt mind if they stretched him out and gave him a shot or just kept him in the pen. I dont think Taz' situation is anything like Bards. He was a good starter when we got him when he was in the minors. In 2009 he threw 109.1 IP with a 2.55 ERA and a 1.043 WHIP 94K 27BB in AA-AAA. 2010 he had TJS and only 22G and 56 IP in 2011.

Now that hes back and fully health hes gained a few MPH on his FB and together with his already above average secondary stuff he looks that much better. It certainly wouldnt hurt to let him start again since he never really had any issues, like Bard, when he did.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Tazawa

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tazawa has good stuff...I remember being excited about him a few years ago then he stunk it up when called up, (not that bad, but less than stellar)   Now he looks great.  I'm not sure on making him a starter, I hate to reference Bard because it doesn't always work out that way.  It wouldn't hurt to give him a look in ST, extend his innings and look at how his arsenal looks the second time through the lineup.

But it seems to me they have already made the decision to keep him in the bullpen,  Some guys stuff is just so much better in shorter bursts.  It's easy to look at them and say WOW they are good, wish I had that for 7+ innings every 5 days but reality is they are pitching in relief for a reason.  Yeah I know some guys have the stuff to start and end up in the bullpen as a necessity, and a breakthrough to the bigs but honestly I don't know enough about to Tazawz to have a strong opinion either way.

I know this.....I've like what I've seen this season. 

[/QUOTE]

He was a starter and only became a reliever because of TJS. I wouldnt mind if they stretched him out and gave him a shot or just kept him in the pen. I dont think Taz' situation is anything like Bards. He was a good starter when we got him when he was in the minors. In 2009 he threw 109.1 IP with a 2.55 ERA and a 1.043 WHIP 94K 27BB in AA-AAA. 2010 he had TJS and only 22G and 56 IP in 2011.

Now that hes back and fully health hes gained a few MPH on his FB and together with his already above average secondary stuff he looks that much better. It certainly wouldnt hurt to let him start again since he never really had any issues, like Bard, when he did.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't trying to make a strong comparision to Bard, only that sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.  I see what your saying about Tazawa being a starter and having better numbers in the minors and I think you have a good point and I'd like to see him get that shot now too.  What I was also trying to convey though is sometimes pitchers are better suited for the bullpen even if they start in the minors.  Sometimes they are just starters to stretch them out and get them more miles so they can develop.  

I'm not saying this is the case with Tazawz, for me it's worth giving him a shot at starting.  with his Minor league career (which I looked up after your post as I have admittedly forgotten about him recently) and his performance next year it should be a no brainer to at least give him a look in ST with the pitching staff we have now.