Team MVP--Aceves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Team MVP--Aceves

Maybe not MVP in the sense that starting pitcher or every day hitter, but certainly the pitching staff's go-to middle, long reliever, who has mostly been lights out in his role. This guy is impressive, and I'm hoping they don't push him into the rotation because he's as good a 3 to 4 inning guy in all of baseball. He is truly a reliever who is a stopper.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Re: Team MVP--Aceves

dannycater, he has been very valuable in this role, but wouldn't he be even more valuable if he were doing this for 6 IP every fifth day in the rotation?

He has a true four-pitch arsenal, so the only real question would be his durability.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I agree with you Danny.I think Aceves is in the right position coming out to throw 3 or 4 innings.It's the type of situational pitcher the Sox need in their bullpen.He's actually doing what Justin Masterson was used for while he was here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox never placed enough importance on guys like Arroyo, Masterson, and even Lowe at the very end. (I still think had the Sox really looked at the big picture, Lowe never would had to leave the Sox for free agency). It's not just what they can deliver in a reg. season setting, but what they can do for you in the postseason. You need to have guys who have the ability to throw 3 or 4 innings in a relief role, or even spot start on a moment's notice. To me, these are the type of pitchers who are so valuable. Theo had 3 of them, and albeit used one to get a pretty darn good player (VMART), but just wasted one on Wily Mo and discounted Lowe's greatness in postseason play (and reg. season durability). Even now, I'd rather have Derek Lowe than John Lackey. Read Wakefield's book because he and Masseroti reminds everyone how valuable Lowe was to the '99, '03, '04 Sox to name a few years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Team MVP--Aceves:
    [QUOTE]The Sox never placed enough importance on guys like Arroyo, Masterson, and even Lowe at the very end. (I still think had the Sox really looked at the big picture, Lowe never would had to leave the Sox for free agency). It's not just what they can deliver in a reg. season setting, but what they can do for you in the postseason. You need to have guys who have the ability to throw 3 or 4 innings in a relief role, or even spot start on a moment's notice. To me, these are the type of pitchers who are so valuable. Theo had 3 of them, and albeit used one to get a pretty darn good player (VMART), but just wasted one on Wily Mo and discounted Lowe's greatness in postseason play (and reg. season durability). Even now, I'd rather have Derek Lowe than John Lackey. Read Wakefield's book because he and Masseroti reminds everyone how valuable Lowe was to the '99, '03, '04 Sox to name a few years.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Dlowe was incredibly valuable to the Red Sox.  I also agree on Aceves.  The guy is way better than I thought he would be.

Going way back Bob Stanley was the same type of guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Certainly not team MVP when you consider guys like AGon, Ells and Pedroia, but I get your point.  He's been lights out in the pen (although his peripherals don't support his ERA).  He's been far less effective as a starting pitcher, although his peripherals are consistent other than HR/FB ratio.  The combination of Albers, Wheeler (since returning from the DL), and Aceves has been huge this year to go along with Paps and Bard.  It's too bad Jenks hasn't worked out (yet).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

This bullpen has really turned the corner and will be a strength to lean on throughout the rest of the season. Jenks has been a disappointment but Aceves has turned out to be better than we probably expected Jenks to be anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox never placed enough importance on guys like Arroyo, Masterson, and even Lowe at the very end. (I still think had the Sox really looked at the big picture, Lowe never would had to leave the Sox for free agency). It's not just what they can deliver in a reg. season setting, but what they can do for you in the postseason. You need to have guys who have the ability to throw 3 or 4 innings in a relief role, or even spot start on a moment's notice. To me, these are the type of pitchers who are so valuable. Theo had 3 of them, and albeit used one to get a pretty darn good player (VMART), but just wasted one on Wily Mo and discounted Lowe's greatness in postseason play (and reg. season durability). Even now, I'd rather have Derek Lowe than John Lackey.Read Wakefield's book because he and Masseroti reminds everyone how valuable Lowe was to the '99, '03, '04 Sox to name a few years.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Lowe wasn't re-signed because of his regression, due to booze and an ugly divorce.
    He had a chip on his shoulder in the PO's. He got it back together in the retirement league.

Aceves is exposed as a starter. The team is utilizing his strength, which is long relief in pertinent situations.

Pity they didn't recognize Lyle's value...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I wanted Lowe back, but I understand why he wasn't re-signed.

Except for a couple of postseason outings, he was horrible overall in 2004.

His ERA went from 2.58 in 2002 to 4.47 in 2003 to 5.42 in 2004. I'm glad he turned it around, but there was no guarantee he would do that had he stayed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Matt Albers is a true MVP. Aceves has more value than Wastefield as a starter. but he is prone to emtional outbursts and not paying attention to his catcher. Albers is a true professional and has been our best arm out of the bullpen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I said he was about as valuable as anyone on the 2009 NYY.  This is a really rare gift to be able to steal wins out of the BP.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

and to steal him from NY.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

While I really like the way Albers pitches and he has been a very big and much needed surprise for the Sox, you cannot say he has been better than Bard.  How many scoreless inningsin a row is Bard working on now, 23?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Bard coughed up too many games in April. But he's really come on lately.
    Albers has been pretty damn consistent in a lesser role.

Funny, I thought Softlaw was against "dumpster pick-ups..."

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Aceves has more value than Wastefield as a starter."

That's debatable, but you could argue it. However there's no argument that Aceves is by far the better reliever - Wakefield does not thrive in that role and is only good to save arms in a blowout loss. Whereas Aceves can give you three or four great relief innings. It should not be a surprise to you that each one is being used according to their best strength to the team at the moment. p.s. your theory that Wake blocks young pitcher development took another knock tonight, we ran a youngster out there for the loss tonight.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Bottom of the pen guys come from dumpsters, dim bulb. Finding a RH OF'er slugger v. LHP is not found in dumpsters.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Albers - before Theo acquired him:
    w/Astros: 5.87 ERA  1.599 WHIP
    w/O's:     4.60 ERA  1.529 WHIP

That is "bottom of the pen".

Try and keep up.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You rip Theo for dumpster diving on other threads, trying to plead UR ludicrous case for Kemp. Here you applaud Albers. Once I make the connection that he is in fact a dumpster pick-up by UR definition,  a bottom-level BP guy - you divert it back to UR Kemp fantasy. What a glue-sniffing basket case.

How about applauding Theo for Aceves/Albers? Theo (his scouts) saw Alber's slow progression from his days in Houston, his 94 mph gas, and the sinking movement and acquired him at low risk cost. He balanced out Jenks/Wheeler with low risk acquisitions.
    A BP portfolio, and with Albers, it's like getting an over-lay in racing, or a stock that totally exceeds expectation. You obviously know nothing about investments.

Albers was a bottom-level BP reliever when Theo signed him. Live with it.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]You are such an idiot you can't even comprehend a simple sentence. Don't talk to me about Theo's idiocy on value. Every GM dumpster dives for bottom pen arms in quanitity. Take a look at Crawford's OBP! Put down your crack pipe.  It's like getting an over-lay in racing, or a stock that totally exceeds expectation. You obviously know nothing when it comes to investments. I suppose a low class racing gambler is so good at investments that he's betting in the fixed circles of organized crime. I manage billions in investements, including my own wealth, for a long, long time. Jealousy is more of a problem than making a large annual average return from investement income and capital appreciation. Tell me about income allocation rules for distibutions from corpus.    
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

"Every GM goes after "dumpster dives".
    Yet you constantly ridicule Theo for doing just that.
    Albers was a dumpster dive, you dumb-ass. You mentioned on countless other threads that you held it against Theo for dumpster-picking. I brought it up on this thread.
    See, this thread involves 'dumpster pick-ups'.

That's hardly "idiocy" on Theo's part. Only on yours for not acknowledging the value of these low-risk pick-ups. Try giving him credit. Or does giving anybody credit make you lesser in your warped mind.

As for managing billions, I wouldn't trust you with leaf penny.
    Your wealth does nothing for UR dementia.
    Try investing in 12 shrinks a week.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

And here's a lightening bolt for you: Nobody here but you gives a flying FK about Jake & co. for Kemp. Believe it or not, posters don't want to see the team give up the game's best lead-off hitter this year to satisfy UR jollies. They don't want to see another 140 mil expenditure at the cost of Jake and half the farm. All for a skirt chaser who may be compromised in the A.L.

I realize this must be hard for you to understand. You try to draw others into UR own Wastefield/Bellsbury/Kemp delusion. No matter what the subject matter of any given thread is, you inject your own brand of idiocy. When posters don't bite, you start the threads with the same rhetoric.
    You are so far gone you can't even stay within a single subject.

You are a walking contradiction. You go GM cheap on player value, applaud Albers, but won't give Theo credit for the dumpster pick-up.
    You simply blast Theo on other threads for dumpster shopping.
    I bring up this obvious conflict of interest, and you try and divert it to UR Kemp fantasy.

Man, you are one step from the white-coats...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe------. Show --The-Babe------'s posts

aceves sure looked like the MVP last night.....of the orioles!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Here's hoping Jake catches Kemp in the HR dept.
    Kemp - the great retirement league stud.

Sections
Shortcuts