1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Teams Defense heading to Play-offs.

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The untrained eye can also recognize a stellar play when he sees one.  Drew sometimes makes plays look easy......

Just like his brother, like them or not, SD a very smart defender. Neither have incredible range, but both get fantastic jumps on balls hit their way. They also understand whos hitting, their tendencies and how they are pitched so they can anticipate where the ball is probably going.

Drew is a solid defender at SS. The stats and the trained or untrained eye can clearly see that.

Stephen is better at his position

Nah.  Say what you want about his toughness, his contract, his offensive production, but JD was the best Sox RFer I have ever seen not named Dewey.

Absolutely! Prevented a lot of runs, and gunned down runners going to third from RF. Never got enough credit because he made it look easy in a lot of his plays. Something I also think his brother does... not flashy, just gets the job done.

What about his Game 2 "throw" in the 2008 ALCS in Tampa?  Flat footed and off line?  That cost us the series (Timlin pitching, extra innings very late on a Sat night)

What about his play down the RF line in TB on Aug 28, 2010 in the bottom of the 7th, when Clay was pitching a gem and we were up 1-0?   It was a foul ball w/ a man on 3rd, 1 run lead, late innings and Drew decides not to let it drop?  Cost us the game.  At that time we were only 4 games back of the Rays with 33 games left to play....It could had cost us another season; again against the Rays......For every good play you could cite for JD, I could cite a really bad one.........He was a decent RF but Evans, Bruno, Kapler, and Vic and heck, even Damon Buford were better........

ps - can you fully document these alleged throws he made to gun down runners at 3rd base?

You know I can't even begin to think about where I would find that information. Since you have obsessed over JD for so long, YOU have to have that information and you just don't want to say you do. You only keep track of every time you thought he made a mistake. I saw it with my own eyes, and said I always thought that was one of the coolest plays in the game.

BTW, nice grand slam in the postseason, when you're under so much more pressure than the regular season. Oh, and his 1-year-old son was in a full-body cast that year while he was being beaten up by fans like yourself. Can you think of how awful that was for a 1-year-old, and for his father? Think about that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

That's what I thought - undocumented...

Do you mean the GS in the game when we won 11-2 with the best post season pitcher in history on the mound? 

So let me get this straight.  Baseball players agree to the terms of their contract - to play in front of fans....And get paid at least 10X more than the average person (in JD's case like 300X more)...The reason why you get paid all of the money is because the FANS get to watch you and.....because they pay VERY GOOD MONEY to watch you WORK.........And then when a fan doesn't think he got his money worth out of you and complains, the fan is a bad person? 

Is it relevant what kind of personal problems one has when they are paid to get a job done?  Most bosses I know don't care what you have going on at home - if you aren't performing you are going to hear it.  And you may get canned.  What does JD have to worry about in that regard?  He can not get fired without pay....Lots of hard working people have to put up with much more more than Drew does so you'd be wise not to try and play that card.

Stick to the facts please.....if you can furnish any......I provided 2 hard facts involving Drew where his DEFENSE cost us 2 very crucial games......maybe even another WS victory in fact.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Do you mean the GS in the game when we won 11-2 with the best post season pitcher in history on the mound? 

Look andrew, you can say a lot about JD Drew, but don't try to diminish the importance of the grand slam.   The fact that Schilling was on the mound does not diminish it.  This was the end-of-the-line Schilling.  Still very good but not a slam dunk.  In fact he got knocked around in Game 2 of that ALCS.

Using the fact that we scored 7 runs after that isn't valid either.  Using this kind of skewed logic, Johnny Damon's grand slam in the 2004 ALCS wasn't that big of a deal either. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The untrained eye can also recognize a stellar play when he sees one.  Drew sometimes makes plays look easy......

Just like his brother, like them or not, SD a very smart defender. Neither have incredible range, but both get fantastic jumps on balls hit their way. They also understand whos hitting, their tendencies and how they are pitched so they can anticipate where the ball is probably going.

Drew is a solid defender at SS. The stats and the trained or untrained eye can clearly see that.

JD was a great defender in RF. They are both solid defenders. I wasnt comparing the two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Drew doesn't get to enough balls to look bad to the untrained eyes. However, balls hit with slightly more than average speed are hit right at him, he's a boot the ball type of middle infield talent. Eye and hand coordination, soft hands and poise under duress are not part of his defensive description. 

Please spare us the buzzword scouting report.   Before the season started, you thought Drew batted right-handed...

Right. He doesn't even know which hand he is, but is all-knowing when it comes to how Drew plays "under duress". Based on what? How many times has he watched him play under duress? I doubt it. He once claimed he doesn't even watch the games.

What a clown!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was very skeptical of Drew's defense when we signed him. I claimed Iggy could make 80-100 more plays than Drew over 150 games. While I still think Iggy would have made a few more plays, Drew is much better than I expected or even hoped for. He's a decent fielder- not great, but not below average either.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Nah.  Say what you want about his toughness, his contract, his offensive production, but JD was the best Sox RFer I have ever seen not named Dewey.

Absolutely! Prevented a lot of runs, and gunned down runners going to third from RF. Never got enough credit because he made it look easy in a lot of his plays. Something I also think his brother does... not flashy, just gets the job done.

What about his Game 2 "throw" in the 2008 ALCS in Tampa?  Flat footed and off line?  That cost us the series (Timlin pitching, extra innings very late on a Sat night)

What about his play down the RF line in TB on Aug 28, 2010 in the bottom of the 7th, when Clay was pitching a gem and we were up 1-0?   It was a foul ball w/ a man on 3rd, 1 run lead, late innings and Drew decides not to let it drop?  Cost us the game.  At that time we were only 4 games back of the Rays with 33 games left to play....It could had cost us another season; again against the Rays......For every good play you could cite for JD, I could cite a really bad one.........He was a decent RF but Evans, Bruno, Kapler, and Vic and heck, even Damon Buford were better........

ps - can you fully document these alleged throws he made to gun down runners at 3rd base?

everyone always remembers the few bad plays, which there are bound to be a few from EVERY player. Compared to all the good/great throws or catches he made over his 5 years here, you name a couple and thats your arguement?

http://youtu.be/CL7SLeIaUBM

http://youtu.be/dBbuhUKvJr0

http://youtu.be/8YfKyND4XKY

Thats only 3 plays, but since you only gave two incidents, I figured Id stop there. JD Drew was a solid OF'er, just like his brother is at SS. Your dislike for him doesnt change that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I am a big Stephen Drew Fan

JD was a pretty good fielder.  But he wasn't as good as many people here would leave you to believe.

And the GS was pretty good but we still win that game.

JD had a very good 2008 season.  But the other 4 years we could had used a min wage guy and got similar results.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fangraphs had Drew's 2013 value at near $17M.

While I agree that number is high, it does show he had more than a decent season. He was +5.1 on offense and +5.3 on defense.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

While I agree that number is high, it does show he had more than a decent season. He was +5.1 on offense and +5.3 on defense.

Sox4ever

You obviously mean STEPHEN Drew........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

You obviously mean STEPHEN Drew........

Yes.

I agree with you on JD.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So let me get this straight.  Baseball players agree to the terms of their contract - to play in front of fans....And get paid at least 10X more than the average person (in JD's case like 300X more)...The reason why you get paid all of the money is because the FANS get to watch you and.....because they pay VERY GOOD MONEY to watch you WORK.........And then when a fan doesn't think he got his money worth out of you and complains, the fan is a bad person? 

Is it relevant what kind of personal problems one has when they are paid to get a job done?  Most bosses I know don't care what you have going on at home - if you aren't performing you are going to hear it.  And you may get canned.  What does JD have to worry about in that regard?  He can not get fired without pay....Lots of hard working people have to put up with much more more than Drew does so you'd be wise not to try and play that card.

Stick to the facts please.....if you can furnish any......I provided 2 hard facts involving Drew where his DEFENSE cost us 2 very crucial games......maybe even another WS victory in fact.

You provided 2 facts, but with very far-reaching conclusions.

Per Game 2, get real.  Fernando Perez was one of, if not the fastest player in MLB.  It would have taken an insanely good throw to get him.  Would Kapler have done it? Buford?  Or better yet, Brunansky?  And blaming JD Drew for that loss is crazy anyway, since Beckett was the problem in that game, giving up 8 runs in less than 5 innings.  Ellsbury (0 for 6) was the big negative with the bat, which was the case for most of the 2008 post-season, whereas Drew was an absolute monster for the 2008 post-season in the clutch sense.  Game 1 of the ALDS, he absolutely CRUSHED the game-winning home run off K-Rod, and on a night when the wind was killing EVERYTHING.  Remember Howie Kendrick’s fly out earlier?  Who didn’t think that was gone the second it left the bat?  (Or was it Torii Hunter?  It was one of those two.)  Drew also was the biggest part of the tremendous comeback in game 5 of the ALCS, with a 2 run home run in the 8th to set up Crisp’s dramatic game-tying hit, and then Drew also the game winning hit over Gabe Gross’ head in the ninth.  It’s silly to say he cost the Sox a World Series when he was instrumental in more wins, one of which was an elimination game.  It’s even sillier than blaming Buckner for 1986. 

We could just as easily point out some of his great plays.  For example, 3 days before your “evidence” in that 2010 game, the Sox were hosting a double header against the Mariners.   In the eighth inning of game one, with 2 men on base and the Sox up by two, Drew made a terrific catch to rob Russ Branyan of a go-ahead home run.  Does Drew get credit for that?   Or do you write that off as a plan anyone and everyone should have made.  I am really not sure how you figure that one August game to be “very crucial” (your words, not mine) when the 2010 Red Sox finished the season 83-79 and 7 games out of first, but I would think the catch 3 days earlier at the very least balanced it out.  

It’s easy to point to any player and grab a bad play here and there.  Did fans rave for years about Orlando Cabrera’s defense?  Did Cabrera make the error that allowed the winning run to score in his very first game in Boston?  Did this make him a bad defender?  Did that error cost the Sox the division?  How crucial was that game?  Was it “very crucial”?

Drew was a very good defensive right fielder, complaining about his RBI totals and not liking his contract or not advocating his signing will not change this.    Drew was overpaid and appeared apathetic, which rubbed many the wrong way.  He was not an aggressive hitter, which may did not like.  He missed a lot of time, which never sat well.  He did not fit into the “dirt dog” public image, and was just too clean.  He also annoyed the baseball world with his very public failed contract negotiations with the Phillies.   You know, the kind that happen EVERY YEAR with draft picks, yet somehow only Drew was ever held accountable to the point where he was booed in Philadelphia for the rest of his career.  Mark Teixeira and Brandon Belt refused to sign with Boston.  Are either booed perennially in Fenway for it?  (Teixeira might be booed for eschewing the Sox as a free agent and for being a Yankee, but not for what happened as a draft pick.)  Will you be booing Belt on his first trip to Boston?  How about Justin Grimm, Nick Tepesch or Yasmani Grandal?

His defense was hard to notice sometimes, because he made it look too easy.  Most outfielders, even veterans, practice things like charging ground balls so as to field them with the proper leg forward, and even in games stutter-step these charges to make it happen.   Drew made these plays seamlessly and effortlessly.  He just charged the ball and came up throwing in one motion.  It was so sweet and smooth that no one noticed.  It was like how, early in his career, he could seemingly take 90 degree corners when rounding 2B, changing direction without changing speed.  It was just so perfect it seemed inhuman.

Documenting the odd “runner out at third” play is also silly, as many outfielders do not get challenged.  And some even try to lure runners into challenging them, like Brad Hawpe, who was famous for this kind of thing, since everyone knew he had a great arm and he liked to show it off.  We all saw him try to dupe Mike Lowell into going to third in game two of the 2007 World Series by jogging to a single in RF.  Lowell beat Hawpe’s throw, and scored the winning run on a sac fly that game.

And that single to right field was by …. JD Drew.  This guy is everywhere.

And comparing MLB players work situations to regular people is not a way to win the argument.  They, like all entertainers, are massively overpaid.  Agreed.  That does not make them inhuman.  And your comparison is about half a century out of date, as many bosses DO care about what is going on at home.  You’ve never left work because your spouse was ill or had an accident?  (If not, good for you, and hopefully you won’t have to.)   Or took a day off when a relative passed away?   Did you ever call in and say “I can’t come in today, because my child is sick.”  Did your boss say “I DON’T CARE! YOU GET IN HERE! DROP THAT KID OFF AT AN ORPHANGE OR SOMETHING!”  In fact, nowadays, many college graduates bring parents to job interviews, and this is apparently becoming an accepted practice.  (I won’t comment about it, just acknowledge it.)   So yes, as a parent, I can understand a badly injured child affecting someone at work, especially if work involves a lot of separation.    I mean, if we are going to compare our jobs to MLB players, please direct me to the message board where people complain about you, your performance, and your pay scale.

I remember once reading a post on another MLB website where one fan said “No one thinks JD Drew is a bad player except Red Sox fans.”  That really sums it all up….

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to notin's comment:

You provided 2 facts, but with very far-reaching conclusions.

Per Game 2, get real.  Fernando Perez was one of, if not the fastest player in MLB.  It would have taken an insanely good throw to get him.  Would Kapler have done it? Buford?  Or better yet, Brunansky?  And blaming JD Drew for that loss is crazy anyway, since Beckett was the problem in that game, giving up 8 runs in less than 5 innings.  Ellsbury (0 for 6) was the big negative with the bat, which was the case for most of the 2008 post-season, whereas Drew was an absolute monster for the 2008 post-season in the clutch sense.  Game 1 of the ALDS, he absolutely CRUSHED the game-winning home run off K-Rod, and on a night when the wind was killing EVERYTHING.  Remember Howie Kendrick’s fly out earlier?  Who didn’t think that was gone the second it left the bat?  (Or was it Torii Hunter?  It was one of those two.)  Drew also was the biggest part of the tremendous comeback in game 5 of the ALCS, with a 2 run home run in the 8th to set up Crisp’s dramatic game-tying hit, and then Drew also the game winning hit over Gabe Gross’ head in the ninth.  It’s silly to say he cost the Sox a World Series when he was instrumental in more wins, one of which was an elimination game.  It’s even sillier than blaming Buckner for 1986. 

We could just as easily point out some of his great plays.  For example, 3 days before your “evidence” in that 2010 game, the Sox were hosting a double header against the Mariners.   In the eighth inning of game one, with 2 men on base and the Sox up by two, Drew made a terrific catch to rob Russ Branyan of a go-ahead home run.  Does Drew get credit for that?   Or do you write that off as a plan anyone and everyone should have made.  I am really not sure how you figure that one August game to be “very crucial” (your words, not mine) when the 2010 Red Sox finished the season 83-79 and 7 games out of first, but I would think the catch 3 days earlier at the very least balanced it out.  

It’s easy to point to any player and grab a bad play here and there.  Did fans rave for years about Orlando Cabrera’s defense?  Did Cabrera make the error that allowed the winning run to score in his very first game in Boston?  Did this make him a bad defender?  Did that error cost the Sox the division?  How crucial was that game?  Was it “very crucial”?

Drew was a very good defensive right fielder, complaining about his RBI totals and not liking his contract or not advocating his signing will not change this.    Drew was overpaid and appeared apathetic, which rubbed many the wrong way.  He was not an aggressive hitter, which may did not like.  He missed a lot of time, which never sat well.  He did not fit into the “dirt dog” public image, and was just too clean.  He also annoyed the baseball world with his very public failed contract negotiations with the Phillies.   You know, the kind that happen EVERY YEAR with draft picks, yet somehow only Drew was ever held accountable to the point where he was booed in Philadelphia for the rest of his career.  Mark Teixeira and Brandon Belt refused to sign with Boston.  Are either booed perennially in Fenway for it?  (Teixeira might be booed for eschewing the Sox as a free agent and for being a Yankee, but not for what happened as a draft pick.)  Will you be booing Belt on his first trip to Boston?  How about Justin Grimm, Nick Tepesch or Yasmani Grandal?

His defense was hard to notice sometimes, because he made it look too easy.  Most outfielders, even veterans, practice things like charging ground balls so as to field them with the proper leg forward, and even in games stutter-step these charges to make it happen.   Drew made these plays seamlessly and effortlessly.  He just charged the ball and came up throwing in one motion.  It was so sweet and smooth that no one noticed.  It was like how, early in his career, he could seemingly take 90 degree corners when rounding 2B, changing direction without changing speed.  It was just so perfect it seemed inhuman.

Documenting the odd “runner out at third” play is also silly, as many outfielders do not get challenged.  And some even try to lure runners into challenging them, like Brad Hawpe, who was famous for this kind of thing, since everyone knew he had a great arm and he liked to show it off.  We all saw him try to dupe Mike Lowell into going to third in game two of the 2007 World Series by jogging to a single in RF.  Lowell beat Hawpe’s throw, and scored the winning run on a sac fly that game.

And that single to right field was by …. JD Drew.  This guy is everywhere.

And comparing MLB players work situations to regular people is not a way to win the argument.  They, like all entertainers, are massively overpaid.  Agreed.  That does not make them inhuman.  And your comparison is about half a century out of date, as many bosses DO care about what is going on at home.  You’ve never left work because your spouse was ill or had an accident?  (If not, good for you, and hopefully you won’t have to.)   Or took a day off when a relative passed away?   Did you ever call in and say “I can’t come in today, because my child is sick.”  Did your boss say “I DON’T CARE! YOU GET IN HERE! DROP THAT KID OFF AT AN ORPHANGE OR SOMETHING!”  In fact, nowadays, many college graduates bring parents to job interviews, and this is apparently becoming an accepted practice.  (I won’t comment about it, just acknowledge it.)   So yes, as a parent, I can understand a badly injured child affecting someone at work, especially if work involves a lot of separation.    I mean, if we are going to compare our jobs to MLB players, please direct me to the message board where people complain about you, your performance, and your pay scale.

I remember once reading a post on another MLB website where one fan said “No one thinks JD Drew is a bad player except Red Sox fans.”  That really sums it all up….

This is why I vote for Notin whenever those threads come up about favorite/most knowledgable posters. Really beautiful post. Well done. It shows how misinformed some posters are about Drew and his abilities to make it look easy.

And let's hope that Andrew, or anyone here for that matter, never have to explain to a 1-year-old why they they are confined to a full-body cast and can't move. Heartbreaking to even think about for any father.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

And let's hope that Andrew, or anyone here for that matter, never have to explain to a 1-year-old why they they are confined to a full-body cast and can't move. Heartbreaking to even think about for any father.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry please explain to me what JD's son has to do with any of this?

Is he the only father in the world who has a son who is has special needs?  Yet still needs to do his job in order to keep a roof over his (multi-million dollar palace) house and food (Steak & Lobster) on the table?  Help me out please..........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Is he the only father in the world who has a son who is has special needs?  Yet still needs to do his job in order to keep a roof over his (multi-million dollar palace) house and food (Steak & Lobster) on the table?  Help me out please..........

[/QUOTE]

Way to dodge Notin's post.

Smart move, actually.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Smart move, actually.

Notin agreed that I presented facts.  He's right that it's hard to prove what would had happened exactly had Drew made those plays........

• You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Back to the specific issue at hand:  Kim what does Drew's son have to do w/ his ability to play RF?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

This is why I vote for Notin whenever those threads come up about favorite/most knowledgable posters.

forget about his posts..his avatar alone keeps him in the running! Tongue Out

• You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Defense is huge in the Play-offs.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Smart move, actually.

Notin agreed that I presented facts.  He's right that it's hard to prove what would had happened exactly had Drew made those plays........

There was a lot more in that post as well...

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

a real clutch DP turned by Pedroia and Drew in today's game

well define "great"

i am very comfortable w/ Drew at SS

he makes all the plays and has shown some flash too

I told you Drew is an EXCELLENT defensive SS........very under-rated out there.

I think the 2 players of the game today were Ortiz 1, and Drew 2....team effort for sure but those guys stood out for me

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So much for Tampa's vaunted Defense.

Sox4ever

So much for Tampa's vaunted Defense.

Sox4ever

Well didn't they move Myers from 3B to OF just to acquire his bat

Don't they also use LF as a "offensive" position?

And that's where we burned them - LF and RF

But our D is solid - is it better than 04 and/or 07?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Myers was a catcher,  not a 3B.  But, yeah, he was moved to get his bat in the lineup and not his glove...

• Sections
    Shortcuts