Teams Defense heading to Play-offs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Teams Defense heading to Play-offs.

Where they rank out of 32 teams after 162 games.

2. Rays
    4. Cards
    6. Tigers
    7. Reds
    8. Red Sox
    12. Rangers
    13. Braves
    18. A's
    20. Indians
    22. Pirates
    25. Dodgers

Defense is huge in Play-offs. Not enough said about it.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Teams Defense heading to Play-offs.

Drew had a UZR/150 of +6.7.

If you're going to criticize his defence you have to produce some numbers, or at least some commentary from a credible source that supports you. 

Your solitary observations aren't enough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If you keeping calling a cat a dog over and over, it doesn't make it one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Drew is a great fielder

Something tells me "Fireman" is an new alias to old dog and pony show

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

"Drew is a great fielder"?  You can't be series? Have you never seen what a great fielding SS is?  See Iglesias, for recent example.

I agree that calling Drew a great fielder is a bit over-the-top.  But, on the scale between "great fielder" and your "sure to be exposed", Drew is, in fact, much closer to great.  He does not have great range.  But, he has proven this year to be totally capable: very solid, good arm, smooth turning 2, not error prone, and even capable of a webgem now and then.  

I would rather see a truly spectacular SS like Iglesias playing defense.  But Drew is no slouch, no matter how many times you say he is.  His performance belies your unsubstantiated assertions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well define "great"

i am very comfortable w/ Drew at SS

he makes all the plays and has shown some flash too

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I have no confidence in Drew at SS, on the playoff stage.

albeit a "small" sample size.

PS hitting:

.320 / .540 / .898  BA/SLG/OPS

fielding:

2 errors in 12 games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

2. Rays
    4. Cards
    6. Tigers
    7. Reds
    8. Red Sox
    12. Rangers
    13. Braves
    18. A's
    20. Indians
    22. Pirates
    25. Dodgers

UZR/150 rankings:

4 TEX

7 TBR

8 CIN

9 LAD

11 BOS

14 ATL

16 PIT

18 OAK

21 DET

26 CLE

29 STL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Drew doesn't get to enough balls to look bad to the untrained eyes. However, balls hit with slightly more than average speed are hit right at him, he's a boot the ball type of middle infield talent. Eye and hand coordination, soft hands and poise under duress are not part of his defensive description. 

The untrained eye see everything that is not Iglesias-esque as total lack of range.  Drew has shown very solid ability to get to, and more importantly, make plays on, balls deep in the hole.  He also has shown himself very good at going to the second base side and making difficult shovels and throws to start DPs.  

And, like almost everything else you are posting today, just assertions with nothing more than your opinion behind them, all I can say is:  um, yes, eye hand coordination, soft hands and poise under duress ARE part of his defensive description.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The untrained eye can also recognize a stellar play when he sees one.  Drew sometimes makes plays look easy......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

The untrained eye can also recognize a stellar play when he sees one.  Drew sometimes makes plays look easy......

Just like his brother, like them or not, SD a very smart defender. Neither have incredible range, but both get fantastic jumps on balls hit their way. They also understand whos hitting, their tendencies and how they are pitched so they can anticipate where the ball is probably going.

Drew is a solid defender at SS. The stats and the trained or untrained eye can clearly see that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Just like his brother, like them or not, SD a very smart defender. Neither have incredible range, but both get fantastic jumps on balls hit their way. They also understand whos hitting, their tendencies and how they are pitched so they can anticipate where the ball is probably going.

Drew is a solid defender at SS. The stats and the trained or untrained eye can clearly see that.

Stephen is better at his position

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Nah.  Say what you want about his toughness, his contract, his offensive production, but JD was the best Sox RFer I have ever seen not named Dewey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Nah.  Say what you want about his toughness, his contract, his offensive production, but JD was the best Sox RFer I have ever seen not named Dewey.

Damn, even Gabe Kapler was better than Drew.........and what about Vic?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Damn, even Gabe Kapler was better than Drew.........and what about Vic?!

Hahahaha.  Well, good to know you are a rock that cannot be moved.  Yeah ok, if Shane gives a couple more years like this one, I might give Vic the nod.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Drew doesn't get to enough balls to look bad to the untrained eyes. However, balls hit with slightly more than average speed are hit right at him, he's a boot the ball type of middle infield talent. Eye and hand coordination, soft hands and poise under duress are not part of his defensive description. 

Funny you should say that about Drew because I see exactly the same thing when Bradley is playing centerfield.  I have yet to see him make a great grab or even a grab Ellsbury wouldn't have made with ease.  And I have yet to see that arm cut anybody down.  I did see him make a nice move to be in position to throw home, but he missed the plate by 20 feet to his left. 

The numbers--vice the silly observations by a fan who has no scouting experience and does not have a trained eye, which means you--on Drew say he is very capable and consistent at SS.  Iglesias is better, I agree, but I'll take Drew and his over .850 OPS in August and September. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't at all believe defense is key in the playoffs unless you mean the pitching.  Yes, pitching can be crucial.  But defense doesn't normally make as much a difference as hitting or pitching or sometimes baserunning. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

2. Rays
    4. Cards
    6. Tigers
    7. Reds
    8. Red Sox
    12. Rangers
    13. Braves
    18. A's
    20. Indians
    22. Pirates
    25. Dodgers

UZR/150 rankings:

4 TEX

7 TBR

8 CIN

9 LAD

11 BOS

14 ATL

16 PIT

18 OAK

21 DET

26 CLE

29 STL

Thanks, moonslav.  This tells me that defense is borderline irrelevant when the Cardinals, tied for the best record in MLB, have the next to worst defense. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where they rank out of 32 teams...

Was there expansion this year?

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

UZR/150 by Positions (600+ innings):

1B:  #1 Napoli  +13.3

2B:  #3 Pedroia +11.7

SS:  #8 Drew +6.7 (7th among SSs with 1000+ innings) Iggy at 8.0 in 572

3B: #22 Middy -8.3