Teams Defense heading to Play-offs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Re: Teams Defense heading to Play-offs.

Wow those numbers really show me something about Naps and Vic--I had no idea.

Critter

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Guaranteed Errors (and mental mistakes), will have an impact in games. Anybody that doesn't thinks so, doesn't know baseball.

I go by errors, simple. Saw the Dodgers SS, make 2 errors on ROUTINE plays, that lost a game for them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The untrained eye can also recognize a stellar play when he sees one.  Drew sometimes makes plays look easy......

Just like his brother, like them or not, SD a very smart defender. Neither have incredible range, but both get fantastic jumps on balls hit their way. They also understand whos hitting, their tendencies and how they are pitched so they can anticipate where the ball is probably going.

Drew is a solid defender at SS. The stats and the trained or untrained eye can clearly see that.

[/QUOTE]

Stephen is better at his position

[/QUOTE]

Nah.  Say what you want about his toughness, his contract, his offensive production, but JD was the best Sox RFer I have ever seen not named Dewey.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! Prevented a lot of runs, and gunned down runners going to third from RF. Never got enough credit because he made it look easy in a lot of his plays. Something I also think his brother does... not flashy, just gets the job done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

More games are lost because you dont make the routine plays. You give the extra out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Cards had 6172 total chances with 75 errors.
    Dodgers had 6183 total chances with 109 errors.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The untrained eye can also recognize a stellar play when he sees one.  Drew sometimes makes plays look easy......

Just like his brother, like them or not, SD a very smart defender. Neither have incredible range, but both get fantastic jumps on balls hit their way. They also understand whos hitting, their tendencies and how they are pitched so they can anticipate where the ball is probably going.

Drew is a solid defender at SS. The stats and the trained or untrained eye can clearly see that.

Stephen is better at his position

Nah.  Say what you want about his toughness, his contract, his offensive production, but JD was the best Sox RFer I have ever seen not named Dewey.

Absolutely! Prevented a lot of runs, and gunned down runners going to third from RF. Never got enough credit because he made it look easy in a lot of his plays. Something I also think his brother does... not flashy, just gets the job done.

What about his Game 2 "throw" in the 2008 ALCS in Tampa?  Flat footed and off line?  That cost us the series (Timlin pitching, extra innings very late on a Sat night)

What about his play down the RF line in TB on Aug 28, 2010 in the bottom of the 7th, when Clay was pitching a gem and we were up 1-0?   It was a foul ball w/ a man on 3rd, 1 run lead, late innings and Drew decides not to let it drop?  Cost us the game.  At that time we were only 4 games back of the Rays with 33 games left to play....It could had cost us another season; again against the Rays......For every good play you could cite for JD, I could cite a really bad one.........He was a decent RF but Evans, Bruno, Kapler, and Vic and heck, even Damon Buford were better........

ps - can you fully document these alleged throws he made to gun down runners at 3rd base?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, playoff games with the best teams and best pitchers often times does come down to whoever makes the least mistakes - mental and physical.

Look at last night - the getting picked off twice and then the bunt down by 2 with a man on 2nd w/ an out and Elvis bunts?

Man, that dude cost them the game between getting picked off and giving away a precious out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't regard the Sox defense as great, but it certainly is decent.  Going by moonslav's numbers, it looks as though only catcher and 3B are weaknesses, and they aren't that bad, plus we need their bats (Middlebrooks and Salty).  In fact, it's all those bats which make this team a contender--highest team OPS and most runs scored in MLB.  The fact that Napoli, Drew, Pedroia, Victorino, Ellsbury, and even Gomes are plus fielders is a bonus. 

But I stand by my earlier statement.  By far the most important defensive player on any team is the pitcher on the mound.  Last night Price pitched a 9 inning gem, giving up 2 runs to the Rangers in Texas.  If Lester can do the same Friday afternoon at Fenway, the Sox are going to win, period. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Pitching and good D give you a good chance to win in the postseason!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Wow those numbers really show me something about Naps and Vic--I had no idea.

Critter

Napoli has blown my expectations away on defense, and given about what I expected on offense; Very good production delivered ina streaky manner.

UZR/150 by Positions (600+ innings):

1B:  #1 Napoli  +13.3

2B:  #3 Pedroia +11.7

SS:  #8 Drew +6.7 (7th among SSs with 1000+ innings) Iggy at 8.0 in 572

3B: #22 Middy -8.3

RF:   #1 Vict  +35.3

CF:  #7 Ellsb +12.9

LF: #12 Gomes -6.6 & #29 out of 35 with 400+ innings Nava at -14.2

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Guaranteed Errors (and mental mistakes), will have an impact in games. Anybody that doesn't thinks so, doesn't know baseball.

I go by errors, simple. Saw the Dodgers SS, make 2 errors on ROUTINE plays, that lost a game for them.

Have you ever seen someone make an exceptional play to win a game?

I guess not, because that doesn't show up on the FLG% stats.

I'll take 50 errors by a SS who makes 100+ more plays over the average SS.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Cards had 6172 total chances with 75 errors.
    Dodgers had 6183 total chances with 109 errors.

Chances means balls they got to, not balls they might have or should have gotten to.

The Cards had 6104 PAs against them and 1254 Ks, leaving 4950 balls put in play.

The Dodgers had 6032 PAs against and 1292 Ks, leaving 7,740 balls put in play.

Opponents had a .295 BAbip vs the Dodgers and .301 vs the Cards.

I don't know this all means, but it means more than total chances and erros made.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Iglesias is better, I agree, but I'll take Drew and his over .850 OPS in August and September. 

I'll take Iglesias and his 2013 season long OPS and his defensive talent and contract costs over the next years, over one year and 9.5M for season long 700's OPS part-timer with poor SS range Drew.

On Bradley, you didn't see the Yankee game at the beginning of the season, and you haven't seen Ellsbury play the big hops like he does on every miss blooper to the OF. 

Neither have you, since you once admitted you don't "watch the games nor have to."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I don't regard the Sox defense as great, but it certainly is decent.  Going by moonslav's numbers, it looks as though only catcher and 3B are weaknesses, and they aren't that bad, plus we need their bats (Middlebrooks and Salty).  In fact, it's all those bats which make this team a contender--highest team OPS and most runs scored in MLB.  The fact that Napoli, Drew, Pedroia, Victorino, Ellsbury, and even Gomes are plus fielders is a bonus. 

But I stand by my earlier statement.  By far the most important defensive player on any team is the pitcher on the mound.  Last night Price pitched a 9 inning gem, giving up 2 runs to the Rangers in Texas.  If Lester can do the same Friday afternoon at Fenway, the Sox are going to win, period. 

It's always about who is on the mound each night: just ask the bookies.

Our offense is very balanced. 10 of our top 11 PA players (230+ PAs) ended up with an OPS over .771. Only Middy was under at .696.

In comparison, the Tigers have 12 guys with over 230 PAs this year: only 6 are over .754. The Cards have 4 out of 10 with an OPS belwo .722.

However, the Cards have 6 guys with 300 or more PAs and an OPS over .830. We have 3 out of 10 with over .830 and 6 out of 12 with 230+ PAs and over .801 OPS.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/80e856c1377cf3af4d8141e844b677fe.jpg

right moon

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's always about who is on the mound each night: just ask the bookies.

I knew you were dumb, but not that dumb. Ask any bookie, it's about who's behind the plate.

I guess you never bet on a baseball game outside Little League.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/80e856c1377cf3af4d8141e844b677fe.jpg

right moon

OK, THAT is funny!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

House and it's umps always win, old man. Don't talk to me about sports and entertainment and gambling. I know all about it.

easy with the senior on senior crime..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

House and it's umps always win, old man. Don't talk to me about sports and entertainment and gambling. I know all about it.

It's the starting pitcher and home field clown.

And besides, I thought you said home field advantage throughout the playoffs was not such a big deal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'll take Iglesias and his 2013 season long OPS and his defensive talent and contract costs over the next years, over one year and 9.5M for season long 700's OPS part-timer with poor SS range Drew.

You say that like a .777 OPS is bad for a shortstop LOL

I guess this means your boy Middlebrooks had a 'season long 600's OPS'.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Drew doesn't get to enough balls to look bad to the untrained eyes. However, balls hit with slightly more than average speed are hit right at him, he's a boot the ball type of middle infield talent. Eye and hand coordination, soft hands and poise under duress are not part of his defensive description. 

He makes plays.

RF/9 is a fairly useless defensive metric when comparing shortstops, as it basically measures plays made per game.  It can be heavily influenced by pitching staff and by playing surface.   However, the one time it is useful is comparing 2 shortstops on the same team during the same season.  So if we look at 2013 Sox shortstops. 

Iglesias (240 innings) – 3.90 RF/9

Drew (1,093 innings) – 4.18 RF/9 

Granted, 240 innings is not the largest sample size, but at the very least, Drew has shown that Iglesias was not excelling at getting to significantly more groundballs than Drew, especially since his brief tenure here had him getting to fewer. 

Drew is not this team’s biggest defensive weakness…

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Drew doesn't get to enough balls to look bad to the untrained eyes. However, balls hit with slightly more than average speed are hit right at him, he's a boot the ball type of middle infield talent. Eye and hand coordination, soft hands and poise under duress are not part of his defensive description. 

Please spare us the buzzword scouting report.   Before the season started, you thought Drew batted right-handed...