Ted Lilly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Ted Lilly

I just noticed that Ted Lilly was DFA'd by the Dodgers.  He had some crap numbers in the Dodgers minor league system in a small sample size of 30 innings and poor numbers in 26 innings of work at the big league level.  He is 37 years old and we have to go way back to 2008 with the Cubs when he last posted an ERA over 3 with a 4.06 ERA.  

This is the type of veteran starter that I would like to see the Sox buy low on by claiming him because he has a small sample size of poor work with a very long productive career.  

Does anyone know what his problem has been this year?  I haven't followed his career recently or kept up on what is going on with him besides just seeing that he was DFA'd on rotoworld.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Ted Lilly

Hes old and not good anymore.

The Sox have prospects that are better than him right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

so a sub 4 ERA and 1.16 WHIP every year since 2007 is not good enough to claim and stash in AAA if we picked up Contreras?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Dodgers made a move to acquire a SP while they still had Lilly under control.

He is 37 years old, and been pretty off and on with the health the past couple seasons (71IP since 2011).  My guess is he is not quite right and they do not think he is ever going to be...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to notin's comment:

The Dodgers made a move to acquire a SP while they still had Lilly under control.

He is 37 years old, and been pretty off and on with the health the past couple seasons (71IP since 2011).  My guess is he is not quite right and they do not think he is ever going to be...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

That's what I was questioning... what were his health problems?  I was asking if it was worth it to claim him and give some minor league fodder or cash to stash him for depth in AAA.  His history when healthy has been long and sustained.  He has had success in the much more recent past than Contreras and is much younger.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Answered my own question from mlbtraderumors

Lilly, 37, is in the final season of a three-year, $33MM pact that he signed with the Dodgers prior to the 2011 campaign. He's battled injuries for much of the past two seasons, as evidenced by four separate DL stints since the onset of the 2012 season. He had shoulder surgery last September and has thrown just 23 innings for the Dodgers thus far in 2013. He hasn't pitched at the Major League level since June 4.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

For AAA fodder, I don't see the harm in bringing him on board. Sometimes a change in scenery can kickstart someone. Let the pompous excrement compete with Contreras, Lyon, and the rest of the rookies and veteran retreads. One or two of them might still have something left.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Lilly given his injury history, based on his medicals, is the type of pitcher that is signed to a minor league deal with the hopes of him getting healthy first and then invited to camp to showcase himself and or earn a chance to make the big league roster.  If he was healthy and could pass a physical then then the Dodgers likely would have given him a shot to pitch for them. By releasing him I would think that his arm is still not game ready...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I just noticed that Ted Lilly was DFA'd by the Dodgers.  He had some crap numbers in the Dodgers minor league system in a small sample size of 30 innings and poor numbers in 26 innings of work at the big league level.  He is 37 years old and we have to go way back to 2008 with the Cubs when he last posted an ERA over 3 with a 4.06 ERA.  

This is the type of veteran starter that I would like to see the Sox buy low on by claiming him because he has a small sample size of poor work with a very long productive career.  

Does anyone know what his problem has been this year?  I haven't followed his career recently or kept up on what is going on with him besides just seeing that he was DFA'd on rotoworld.

And if he stunk in the NL and minor leagues, how do you think he would do in the AL East?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

so a sub 4 ERA and 1.16 WHIP every year since 2007 is not good enough to claim and stash in AAA if we picked up Contreras?

My apologies. I should have stated it was because of his injuries and age.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't think Lilly is an upgrade to our rotation at this point.  IMO, you buy low on Lilly type veterans with possible high return during the offseaons when you need bottom rotation help, not for playoffs depth.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Might as well bring back Wakefield...

Sections
Shortcuts