Ted Williams……………..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Ted Williams……………..

Larry Bird, Tom Brady, and Bobby Orr. 

Just got finished watching Bobby Orr on Center Stage and it got me to thinking. Can any professional sports  town come up with a list like the above? One player from each major team sport.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: Ted Williams……………..

And Russell and Williams

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to billge's comment:

And Russell and Williams

Ted was the title of the OP. And it's a tough call between Bird and Russell when one can only pick one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

In response to billge's comment:

And Russell and Williams

Ted was the title of the OP. And it's a tough call between Bird and Russell when one can only pick one.

As far as Celtics go, I will even throw Hondo in there to pick from.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

You people are drawing at straws.......  You have no idea what Ted Williams meant to the Red Sox & Boston from 1939-1960 as well as the other Boston sports to follow.....  Orr, Bird & the rest !!!

I think most agree with you Bill about Ted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

You people are drawing at straws.......  You have no idea what Ted Williams meant to the Red Sox & Boston from 1939-1960 as well as the other Boston sports to follow.....  Orr, Bird & the rest !!!

Hey Bill:

Your Jenny is on AMC.  Forest just defended her honor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I'll take the 3 time WS champ......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I'll take the 3 time WS champ......

No contest, I was channel surfing before game time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Just got finished watching Bobby Orr on Center Stage and it got me to thinking. Can any professional sports  town come up with a list like the above? One player from each major team sport.

ic

They were all geat (Brady still is!). Isaw them all play (live, I mean), several times. Alas, all but Brady---TV only. And TW has to be No. 1; however, Orr was the most electric, and the the most fun to watch. Baseball had the best following, and probably Russell's titles would have made him No. 1 were it not for the fact it is still the No 3 sport in Boston. That makes my list, TW, Russ, Orr and Brady. Can't have two from the same sport, so Bird is odd man out. Did someone say Rondo? Really? REALLY?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

ic

They were all geat (Brady still is!). Isaw them all play (live, I mean), several times. Alas, all but Brady---TV only. And TW has to be No. 1; however, Orr was the most electric, and the the most fun to watch. Baseball had the best following, and probably Russell's titles would have made him No. 1 were it not for the fact it is still the No 3 sport in Boston. That makes my list, TW, Russ, Orr and Brady. Can't have two from the same sport, so Bird is odd man out. Did someone say Rondo? Really? REALLY?

Read it again, it says Hondo as in John Havlicek.  Bird cannot be thrown out that easily.  When he played, getting a seat was near impossible.  I used to say that two tickets to a Celtic's game were like bars of gold.

When Bird played, hoop was number one in Boston.  For the mere fact that it was a shock when the C's lost.  They had the original sell out streak and did not have to use gimics to get it done.  Celtic's fans travelled with the team then, long before the "red sox nation" was formed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

How do you know what others know about Ted Williams?  Frankly, I'd prefer an intelligent 15-year old's view developed from studying Baseball-Reference.com to the view of a dimwit that saw him play many times.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

How do you know what others know about Ted Williams?  Frankly, I'd prefer an intelligent 15-year old's view developed from studying Baseball-Reference.com to the view of a dimwit that saw him play many times.

How do we know?  Books for one.  The endless stories told by Johnn Pesky and Dom Dimagio.  How about John Glen when he said Ted's second best thing was baseball, flying is what Ted did best.

Even Boston Braves fans loved Ted.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bill Russell won a ton of titles, also coached, and has an Olympic gold medal, none of which Williams won. Before Russell, the Celtics couldn't win spit.   I am astounded anyone would put Larry Bird ahead of Bill Russell. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Bill Russell won a ton of titles, also coached, and has an Olympic gold medal, none of which Williams won. Before Russell, the Celtics couldn't win spit.   I am astounded anyone would put Larry Bird ahead of Bill Russell. 

Before Russell there wasn't much basketball to speak of.  I am not saying who goes first.  What Bird did was to sellout the Garden every night.  Obvious it was different eras but Bird was awesome to watch.  Bird was the equivalent to babe ruth as far as calling shots. Bird brought Hoop back to Boston and made it the number one sport while here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

Before Russell there wasn't much basketball to speak of.  I am not saying who goes first.  What Bird did was to sellout the Garden every night.  Obvious it was different eras but Bird was awesome to watch.  Bird was the equivalent to babe ruth as far as calling shots. Bird brought Hoop back to Boston and made it the number one sport while here.

Bird is also white, which certainly helped to sell out the Garden. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

When I put the OP together and bounced Bird  and Russell back and forth, I chose Bird, but there is no wrong answer between the two. Also, when I noticed the other 3 were white, I just knew someone would point that out.

However, the crux of my OP was is there any other city in sports that can come up with a comparable 4?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

You could name three or four players from each team and still no other city could match it.  All great teams at one point of another bit all relevant in the past 14 years.  No other city can say that about even two teams...

As Otriz would say it's my F'n City!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

ic

Read it again, it says Hondo as in John Havlicek.  Bird cannot be thrown out that easily.  When he played, getting a seat was near impossible.  I used to say that two tickets to a Celtic's game were like bars of gold.

When Bird played, hoop was number one in Boston.  For the mere fact that it was a shock when the C's lost.  They had the original sell out streak and did not have to use gimics to get it done.  Celtic's fans travelled with the team then, long before the "red sox nation" was formed.

I'm not necessarily putting Havlicek over Bird or Russell because it's hard to compare players of different positions or different eras. Having said that, Havlicek IMO has to be the most underrated great player of all time. He could score, pass, play guard, play forward, a good rebounder for being 6-5 (I believe), would likely have nine titles were it not for the back injury he sustained in 1973 when the C's went 68-14 but lost in the East finals when he was injured, could start or come off the bench, played a ton of minutes regardless and never got tired and was one of the best defensive players of all-time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

When I put the OP together and bounced Bird  and Russell back and forth, I chose Bird, but there is no wrong answer between the two. Also, when I noticed the other 3 were white, I just knew someone would point that out.

However, the crux of my OP was is there any other city in sports that can come up with a comparable 4?

It is amazing how the color factor comes into play.  Even Hondo could not sell out the garden during the regular season like Bird did.  Again, the economy and the maturing of the NBA had some to do with the popularity of the C's during the 80's but larry's magic was the main factor.

Most centers don't draw the crowds just on their appeal and the one's who do also play the power forward position.  Shaq did not sell out in Orlando and in LA the fans came to see Kobe.

As far as Boston, the fans loved Reggie Lewis right up there close to Bird.  If Reggie had lived he would have had Bird numbers and a packed house just to see him. When Reggie was drafted by the C's, I was excited as much as when Larry was.  I used to go to the games just to see Reggie play, the kid was sensational.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever