1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Ted Williams……………..

Top 8 from the big 4?

Russell & Bird

Orr & Esposito

Williams & Ortiz

Brady & John Hannah

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Top 8 from the big 4?

Russell & Bird

Orr & Esposito

Williams & Ortiz

Brady & John Hannah

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I believe you nailed it except I'd prefer Cam Neely over Espo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Top 8 from the big 4?

Russell & Bird

Orr & Esposito

Williams & Ortiz

Brady & John Hannah

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I believe you nailed it except I'd prefer Cam Neely over Espo.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

No complaints with Neely over Espo, but Orr & Espo were who turned me onto hockey, so they have a special place in my heart.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bill Russell won a ton of titles, also coached, and has an Olympic gold medal, none of which Williams won. Before Russell, the Celtics couldn't win spit.   I am astounded anyone would put Larry Bird ahead of Bill Russell. 

[/QUOTE]

Before Russell there wasn't much basketball to speak of.  I am not saying who goes first.  What Bird did was to sellout the Garden every night.  Obvious it was different eras but Bird was awesome to watch.  Bird was the equivalent to babe ruth as far as calling shots. Bird brought Hoop back to Boston and made it the number one sport while here.

[/QUOTE]

Bird is also white, which certainly helped to sell out the Garden. 

[/QUOTE]

When I put the OP together and bounced Bird  and Russell back and forth, I chose Bird, but there is no wrong answer between the two. Also, when I noticed the other 3 were white, I just knew someone would point that out.

However, the crux of my OP was is there any other city in sports that can come up with a comparable 4?

[/QUOTE]

The challenge!

Boston:

MLB: Williams

NFL: Brady

NBA: Bird

NHL: Orr

The challengers!

Chicago:

MLB: Ernie Banks

NFL Walter Payton

NBA: Michael Jordon

NHL: Bobby Hull

Detroit:

MLB: Ty Cobb

NFL: Barry Sanders

NBA: Isiah Thomas

NHL: Gordie Howe

Los Angeles:

MLB: Sandy Koufax

NFL:  Norm Van Brocklin

NBA: Kobe Bryant

NHL: Wayne Gretzky

New York:

MLB: Babe Ruth

NFL:  Lawrence Taylor

NBA:  Patrick Ewing

NHL:  Mike Bossy

Philadelphia

MLB: Mike Schmidt

NFL: Reggie White

NBA: Julius Irving

NHL: Eric Lindros

The biggest surprise to me is Detroit, followed closely by Philadelphia.   I could have gone with Bobby Clarke over Lindros, but Lindros was something special cut short by disease.  I also did not deduct points on Isiah Thomas for his ability to destroy everything he touched in his post-playing career.  And I did consider Bill Laimbeer as an alternative,  but mostly because he played a Sleestak on the original “Land of the Lost” TV series.  (That is TRUE!! And AWESOME!!)  But neither is Bird.   Or even Cousy, for that matter.

With Detroit, you have to give them Cobb over Williams.  And really, Howe over Orr, too.  Don’t fight it.  Boston has a clear edge in NBA.  But NFL?  Brady over Sanders?  The only possible argument is that Sanders career was too short.  But if you make it, you really, really, really lose your ability to fight for Orr over the geriatric Howe.   I’m tempted to take the one man Barry Sanders show here.  Brady was great; Sanders was amazing.

I think with Philadelphia, I might be tempted to go with White over Brady, but give Boston the other three.   Reggie White is easily the best defensive player in NFL history, and not much stacks up against that.

New York certainly has some stellar talent, although surprisingly no better Knick than Ewing (not that Ewing was anything but a great player).  Don’t be fooled by the presence of Mike Bossy over, say, Rod Gilbert or Mark Messier.  Bossy was better, at least for a New York team.  And I had to go with LT for football.  He was an inhuman wrecking machine unleashed on a hapless NFL.   With New York, I say Ruth over Williams, but Bird over Ewing.  The NFL and NHL match ups are tough, but maybe I give Orr the edge over the very underrated Bossy.  LT vs Brady is a tough match up.  I’ll take Brady, because at least he did not make an awful TV show like “First and Ten.”   (and I am taking Laimbeer over LT in the TV show category.)

LA gives the biggest basketball dilemma.  As much as I cannot stand Kobe Bryant, I do think he was (yeah, was) a better player than Johnson, O’Neal or Abdul-Jabbar, and I don’t think that is an insult to any of them.   However, I wouldn’t argue if someone insisted on substituting, either.  At least not much.   Still, I like Boston in NBA, MLB and NFL here.  Even the LA Gretzky gets the nod over Orr.  Were I able to take the entire Fearsome Foursome, maybe LA has a chance at the NFL, but with one player, I had to choose the very underrated but nonetheless unexciting Van Brocklin.  Point – Boston.   And Williams easily over Koufax, who might be the most overrated player in MLB history (which does not mean he was not great, just gets a little too much love).

Of these cities, the best argument is for Chicago.   While Banks is no Williams, does Boston really have an answer for Jordan, Payton or Hull?  Brady over Payton?  Tough to argue due to the different positions, but we are talking about Sweetness here.  The only question here is – is Payton the right choice?  From a pure electricity standpoint, I could have taken the brief career of Gale Sayers.  Really, there are arguments for both, and I think both over Brady.

So I would say Detroit and Chicago can rival that foursome from Boston…

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. You're arguments are well founded. As far as placing Gretzky over Orr, I'll just quote Terry O'reilly, a teammate of Orr's. "Goaltenders being equal, 5 Bobby Orr's will beat 5 Wayne Gretzky's."

[/QUOTE]

Terry O'Reilly aside, the only question is Boston's Orr vs. LA's Gretzky, as opposed to the newer, flashier Edmonton model.   However, as I think I gave Boston the other 3 sports, it doesn't matter much.

However, I did see Detroit and Chicago giving Boston a run for its money with the elite 4.  And I disagree with whoever suggested Joe Jackson over Ernie Banks for Chicago baseball.  Though Jackson is more famous/notorious for his time with the White Sox, a lot of his better days came in Cleveland...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Frank-at-Sea's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Notin post took me ten minutes to schroll through. 

[/QUOTE]

I think the goal is to frustrate us enough so we never come back. Of Course, the other option would be that they don't know what they're doing.