Teddy and Mudcat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

Teddy and Mudcat

Thought some of you old timers (if there are any left on this thing) might appreciate this story.  I was volunteering at a celeb golf tournament yesterday, and had a chance to chat with Mudcat Grant,( one of the nicest men I've met; have talked to him several times in the past). I told him jokingly that I liked him, but liked Ted Williams more. Mudcat laughed and asked if he ever told me of the time he walked Ted on purpose with the bases loaded? I said no. He said he was ahead by 2 runs, and WASN'T going to let Williams beat him. Next guy up was Jackie Jensen (115 RBI king).  Mudcat struck Jensen out and won the game.  Also chatted with Vidal Blue.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Teddy and Mudcat

I remember seeing Mudcat Grant toward the tail end of his career. The name stays in your memory because it's such a cool nickname. It must have been when he was with Oakland , because this was before cable T.V. and there wasn't a lot of NL games on back when we only had Red Sox on local networks. Never realized he pitched back when Ted Williams played. I see where he was quite a journeyman toward the end, but had quite a long run with the Indians. Also he had a decent ERA through most of his career. He would be a nice addition to our bullpen right now!

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I remember seeing Mudcat Grant toward the tail end of his career. The name stays in your memory because it's such a cool nickname. It must have been when he was with Oakland , because this was before cable T.V. and there wasn't a lot of NL games on back when we only had Red Sox on local networks. Never realized he pitched back when Ted Williams played. I see where he was quite a journeyman toward the end, but had quite a long run with the Indians. Also he had a decent ERA through most of his career. He would be a nice addition to our bullpen right now!

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

21-7. In 1965 for twins.  Told me he loved pitching in Fenway

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to piersall's comment:

Thought some of you old timers (if there are any left on this thing) might appreciate this story.  I was volunteering at a celeb golf tournament yesterday, and had a chance to chat with Mudcat Grant,( one of the nicest men I've met; have talked to him several times in the past). I told him jokingly that I liked him, but liked Ted Williams more. Mudcat laughed and asked if he ever told me of the time he walked Ted on purpose with the bases loaded? I said no. He said he was ahead by 2 runs, and WASN'T going to let Williams beat him. Next guy up was Jackie Jensen (115 RBI king).  Mudcat struck Jensen out and won the game.  Also chatted with Vidal Blue.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, more stories like this might bring folks back to the Board.

my old timer story... Our baseball banquet as a kid...(rubber chicken) Dick Howser was the speaker, he stayed and talked to every kid that night who hung around. Signed autographs, my first meeting with a major league player, in awe, left there floating on air. He was interested, engaging, genuinely cared about us kids.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

:)   TOO cool!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to LeftyGrove's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Thanks, more stories like this might bring folks back to the Board.

my old timer story... Our baseball banquet as a kid...(rubber chicken) Dick Howser was the speaker, he stayed and talked to every kid that night who hung around. Signed autographs, my first meeting with a major league player, in awe, left there floating on air. He was interested, engaging, genuinely cared about us kids.

Funny how the mention of Jackie Jensen who was married to the great swimmer Zoe Ann Olsen, the silver medalist in diving at the 1948 Summer Olympics,  brings back a memory, that I can now chuckle about, but at the time wasn't well received.

About 1953, our local Little League organization had a banquet of sorts planned and some Major Leaguer, who's name I can no longer recollect, was supposed to be the guest speaker.  I don't know the circumstances, but he was a no-show.  And in his place the organizers where able to get as a stand-in a 'sport's celebrity' of that era, and a woman no less, Florence Chadwick.  

And for you young guys, I'll save you the trouble of googling.   Chadwick's biggest contribution to swimming history occurred on August 8, 1950, when she crossed the English Channel in 13 hours and 20 minutes, breaking the then current world record held by American swimmer Gertrude Ederle.  One year later, Chadwick crossed the English Channel yet again, from England to France; this time, in 16 hours and 22 minutes, thus making her the first woman to swim the English Channel in both directions, and setting a record for the England-France journey.

At the time, us 10, 11, and 12 year old kids didn't give a sh&t, she was a woman, none of us knew what the he)l was an English Channel, and she had no connection to baseball whatsoever.  As far as us kids were concerned, this went over like a faart in a space suit!  However, the adult men present were quite enthralled.  Trust me, none of us kids asked for her autograph.  A baseball banquet and no celebrity baseball player as guest speaker, what a bummer.

So as the saying goes in baseball vernacular, "We wuz robbed!"

Sections
Shortcuts