Teixeira out for the season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Teixeira out for the season

Bad luck for then Yankees. While I don't wish injury on any player, even a Yankee, this cannot help their hopes for 2013-and thats a good thing:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9426057/mark-teixeira-new-york-yankees-season-ending-wrist-surgery

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: Teixeira out for the season

I told my NY friend 2 months ago that the Yankees should have a fire sale, and restock, but he swore they would of won the division... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

I told my NY friend 2 months ago that the Yankees should have a fire sale, and restock, but he swore they would of won the division... 

If not for all their injuries they had a good chance of doing just that IMO. Now they will battle to stay out of the cellar. Its going to be a rough year for the Yankees-and no one here is going to cry about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

If not for all their injuries they had a good chance of doing just that IMO. Now they will battle to stay out of the cellar. Its going to be a rough year for the Yankees-and no one here is going to cry about it.

[/QUOTE]

Pumpsie, you're contradicting yourself.  The Yankees have had a decimated lineup all year and they're still in it, because of their pitching - as you keep pointing out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pumpsie, you're contradicting yourself.  The Yankees have had a decimated lineup all year and they're still in it, because of their pitching - as you keep pointing out.

[/QUOTE]

Not at all. I am saying that the injury to Teixeira is going to hurt their chances rather than help them. No one team has a clear advantage in the ALE and every injury will affect how the teams finish. Buchholtz, for example, will by his absence hurt our chances. To get INTO the playoffs you need a combination of both pitching AND hitting, although some teams have bashed their way in on offense alone. To win IN the playoffs you need good pitching, preferably top third. Remember: only three teams in the last 100 years have won a ring with below average pitching, but 33 have won it with below average hitting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not at all. I am saying that the injury to Teixeira is going to hurt their chances rather than help them. No one team has a clear advantage in the ALE and every injury will affect how the teams finish. Buchholtz, for example, will by his absence hurt our chances. To get INTO the playoffs you need a combination of both pitching AND hitting, although some teams have bashed their way in on offense alone. To win IN the playoffs you need good pitching, preferably top third. Remember: only three teams in the last 100 years have won a ring with below average pitching, but 33 have won it with below average hitting.

Yes but you said that the effect of Teixeira's injury is so great that the Yankees are now going to have trouble staying out of the cellar.  This is simply an overstatement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Yes but you said that the effect of Teixeira's injury is so great that the Yankees are now going to have trouble staying out of the cellar.  This is simply an overstatement.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but I think any of the ALE teams could finish in the cellar. Its a pretty even group right now. Each injury a team suffers will push them closer to the cellar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

This is a major blow, especially with Youk being out 10-12 weeks. The Yankees need ARod but he and the GM can't stay out of a pissing match.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Bad luck for then Yankees. While I don't wish injury on any player, even a Yankee, this cannot help their hopes for 2013-and thats a good thing:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9426057/mark-teixeira-new-york-yankees-season-ending-wrist-surgery

Thought you were one of those that kept saying Theo made a mistake not breaking the bank for Tex?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

Thought you were one of those that kept saying Theo made a mistake not breaking the bank for Tex?

[/QUOTE]

Mark Teixeira OPS for the Yankees: .948/.846/.835/.807 until he had an injury this year. He would have been a fine addition to our team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

This is a major blow, especially with Youk being out 10-12 weeks. The Yankees need ARod but he and the GM can't stay out of a pissing match.

They activated both of them too soon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Earlier this year,  I half-jokingly stated that the Yanks were doing very well because of guys like Tex, Jeter and ARod being hurt NOT despite the injuries.

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

(Note: Tex OPS since '08: 1.081> .948> .846> .835> .807> .609)

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

ARod  (.710 in Sept 2012 and about .300 in October)

SS:

Nix  .627 But, has a plus UZR/150 (3.3)

Nunez  .565

Jeter (No chance to rack up a big negative UZR/150 this year.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Earlier this year,  I half-jokingly stated that the Yanks were doing very well because of guys like Tex, Jeter and ARod being hurt NOT despite the injuries.

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

Why would you post ARod's 2012 #s but not Jeter? ARod hasn't played this yr either. That's kind of cherry picky, and your tendency to do this hampers your overall superlative number crunching, and smacks of your tendency to ping the pinstripers. So much for your "unbiased" assessments of Jeter.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The Yankees are aging, with tendon sheaths as integral as a busted radiator hose. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

Why would you post ARod's 2012 #s but not Jeter? ARod hasn't played this yr either. That's kind of cherry picky, and your tendency to do this hampers your overall superlative number crunching, and smacks of your tendency to ping the pinstripers. So much for your "unbiased" assessments of Jeter.

I hardly ever post about the Yanks, and more times than not, I am posting about how I think they are going to win the division, as I still think they will this year.

I have been harsh on Jeter's defense for a long time. That was not "half-jokingly". I have never criticized Jete's offense, hence, no 2012 Jete O stats. Jete will and should be a 1st ballot HOF'er, but not based on his defense.

I have never been a Tex fan, and have pointed out his decline several times, but not to any point of saying it's a "tendency to ping the pinstripes".

Is there anybody that has any faith in ARod anymore? Seriously, it's not a "ping". It's not that Youk or anyone else instill great faith in anyone either, but I don't see ARod's return really being a boost.

Jete's return will be a boost to team moral and chemistry and offense. He's not much worse than Nunez in the field, but Nix is way better on D.

If the Yankees offense comes around, they will be the team to beat in the AL East this year. I said it this spring and still believe it now. How's that for a ping? Now, if they sit tight at the deadline, maybe they won't balance out their team. Losing Grandy  was huge. When he and Jete return, the offense should get a nice boost.

Losing ARod and Tex is not a big deal, IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I am surprised you could not make up a mocking name for a Yankee player, I guess it is only injured Red Sox players you make fun of.

Maybe, but "Tiexiera" is a tough one, you have to admit......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I am surprised you could not make up a mocking name for a Yankee player, I guess it is only injured Red Sox players you make fun of.

"Mark Tiexteara"? Its a tough one, a real tough one to come up with........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

I hardly ever post about the Yanks, and more times than not, I am posting about how I think they are going to win the division, as I still think they will this year.

I have been harsh on Jeter's defense for a long time. That was not "half-jokingly". I have never criticized Jete's offense, hence, no 2012 Jete O stats. Jete will and should be a 1st ballot HOF'er, but not based on his defense.

I have never been a Tex fan, and have pointed out his decline several times, but not to any point of saying it's a "tendency to ping the pinstripes".

Is there anybody that has any faith in ARod anymore? Seriously, it's not a "ping". It's not that Youk or anyone else instill great faith in anyone either, but I don't see ARod's return really being a boost.

Jete's return will be a boost to team moral and chemistry and offense. He's not much worse than Nunez in the field, but Nix is way better on D.

If the Yankees offense comes around, they will be the team to beat in the AL East this year. I said it this spring and still believe it now. How's that for a ping? Now, if they sit tight at the deadline, maybe they won't balance out their team. Losing Grandy  was huge. When he and Jete return, the offense should get a nice boost.

OK, I was overly harsh, and apologize. Otherwise, this is where we don't agree. The Yankee offense is pathetic; I believe Houston has scored more. And ARod, while a pariah, would still be an improvement on Adams, who, while a good prospect, doesn't currently belong in the Bigs. However, they do have good P. If you combined Baltimore's hitting with the NYY P staff, that would be a good team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OK, I was overly harsh, and apologize. Otherwise, this is where we don't agree. The Yankee offense is pathetic; I believe Houston has scored more. And ARod, while a pariah, would still be an improvement on Adams, who, while a good prospect, doesn't currently belong in the Bigs. However, they do have good P. If you combined Baltimore's hitting with the NYY P staff, that would be a good team

I have always felt pitching and fielding combined trumps hitting. 

The fact that the Yanks have had a horrible offense, in part because Grandy and Jete have missed time, makes me feel that if they can just improve their offense a little bit, they can make the playoffs. The return of Grandy, Jeter and Youk could make a big offensive difference, and a moderate deal at the deadline could as well.

We disagree on ARod. To me, he is all done. I may be wrong, but I saw what happened to Lowell.

I'd still be worried about a big drop at SS fielding, and how Jete will effect the team ERA, but I've overtold that story already.

BTW, there are 3 AL teams that have scored less than NY's 297 runs: KC 288, Sea 281, & CWS 277. They are close to being #10 (Hou 301) & MN (306). It might be hard to get to #8 or 9, but if they do, they will probably win the division.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

OK, I was overly harsh, and apologize. Otherwise, this is where we don't agree. The Yankee offense is pathetic; I believe Houston has scored more. And ARod, while a pariah, would still be an improvement on Adams, who, while a good prospect, doesn't currently belong in the Bigs. However, they do have good P. If you combined Baltimore's hitting with the NYY P staff, that would be a good team

I have always felt pitching and fielding combined trumps hitting. 

The fact that the Yanks have had a horrible offense, in part because Grandy and Jete have missed time, makes me feel that if they can just improve their offense a little bit, they can make the playoffs. The return of Grandy, Jeter and Youk could make a big offensive difference, and a moderate deal at the deadline could as well.

We disagree on ARod. To me, he is all done. I may be wrong, but I saw what happened to Lowell.

I'd still be worried about a big drop at SS fielding, and how Jete will effect the team ERA, but I've overtold that story already.

BTW, there are 3 AL teams that have scored less than NY's 297 runs: KC 288, Sea 281, & CWS 277. They are close to being #10 (Hou 301) & MN (306). It might be hard to get to #8 or 9, but if they do, they will probably win the division.

You may be right about ARod; as far as Jeter is concerned, if you thought he was a bad SS before, imagine the 39/40 yr old version with a bad wheel.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

[/QUOTE]

The yankees run differential this year so far is zero. That has the makings of a .500. Team not a serious contender.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Teixeira has had an interesting career.  He peaked at a young age.   The anti-stat posters missed the boat as usual, looking at the HRs only.

His peripheral stats told the story:

% of pitches swung at outside strike zone:

2005 - 13:  20  22  20   20  22  27  28  27  26    

% of times he made contact with "balls":

2005 - 13:  47  61   53  60  64  69   69  75   67  

He swung at bad pitches and made contact more often with them, weak contact led to his BABIP drop.

BABIP:

2005 - 13:   315   304   342   316   302   268   239   250   156

One theory, the short porch unsettled him, but the numdbers don't back that up.  

2010 - 12:  LHH    H/A     931/602     802/745      760/778

The HR/RBI/fielding made him a good player, being paid like a great player.  No crime in that.

Sections
Shortcuts