Teixeira out for the season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Teixeira out for the season

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

This is a major blow, especially with Youk being out 10-12 weeks. The Yankees need ARod but he and the GM can't stay out of a pissing match.

They activated both of them too soon.

Wrong on both counts considering the injuries of each player.

Did Bautista come back after his similar wrist injury? And Tex is a switch hitter, I think everyone was skeptical this injury would heal without surgery just based on what we have seen in the past with other players with the same injury.

In the case of Youk who has been battling the back injury for at least 2 seasons when was a good time to bring him back from a debilitating injury of this type? Now we find out he needs surgery for a herniated disk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Earlier this year,  I half-jokingly stated that the Yanks were doing very well because of guys like Tex, Jeter and ARod being hurt NOT despite the injuries.

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

(Note: Tex OPS since '08: 1.081> .948> .846> .835> .807> .609)

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

ARod  (.710 in Sept 2012 and about .300 in October)

SS:

Nix  .627 But, has a plus UZR/150 (3.3)

Nunez  .565

Jeter (No chance to rack up a big negative UZR/150 this year.)

Why would you post ARod's 2012 #s but not Jeter? ARod hasn't played this yr either. That's kind of cherry picky, and your tendency to do this hampers your overall superlative number crunching, and smacks of your tendency to ping the pinstripers. So much for your "unbiased" assessments of Jeter.

I hardly ever post about the Yanks, and more times than not, I am posting about how I think they are going to win the division, as I still think they will this year.

I have been harsh on Jeter's defense for a long time. That was not "half-jokingly". I have never criticized Jete's offense, hence, no 2012 Jete O stats. Jete will and should be a 1st ballot HOF'er, but not based on his defense.

I have never been a Tex fan, and have pointed out his decline several times, but not to any point of saying it's a "tendency to ping the pinstripes".

Is there anybody that has any faith in ARod anymore? Seriously, it's not a "ping". It's not that Youk or anyone else instill great faith in anyone either, but I don't see ARod's return really being a boost.

Jete's return will be a boost to team moral and chemistry and offense. He's not much worse than Nunez in the field, but Nix is way better on D.

If the Yankees offense comes around, they will be the team to beat in the AL East this year. I said it this spring and still believe it now. How's that for a ping? Now, if they sit tight at the deadline, maybe they won't balance out their team. Losing Grandy  was huge. When he and Jete return, the offense should get a nice boost.

Losing ARod and Tex is not a big deal, IMO.

The yankees run differential this year so far is zero. That has the makings of a .500. Team not a serious contender.

No one here could argue with how putrid the Yankee offense has been however if you look at the other teams in the ALE they too have their warts.

The Yankee pitching from top to bottom is still deeper than any other team chasing the ALE pennant.

Any offense what-so-ever  can keep them close enough to be a threat down the stretch because of the pitching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

[QUOTE]

Earlier this year,  I half-jokingly stated that the Yanks were doing very well because of guys like Tex, Jeter and ARod being hurt NOT despite the injuries.

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

Why would you post ARod's 2012 #s but not Jeter? ARod hasn't played this yr either. That's kind of cherry picky, and your tendency to do this hampers your overall superlative number crunching, and smacks of your tendency to ping the pinstripers. So much for your "unbiased" assessments of Jeter.

I hardly ever post about the Yanks, and more times than not, I am posting about how I think they are going to win the division, as I still think they will this year.

I have been harsh on Jeter's defense for a long time. That was not "half-jokingly". I have never criticized Jete's offense, hence, no 2012 Jete O stats. Jete will and should be a 1st ballot HOF'er, but not based on his defense.

I have never been a Tex fan, and have pointed out his decline several times, but not to any point of saying it's a "tendency to ping the pinstripes".

Is there anybody that has any faith in ARod anymore? Seriously, it's not a "ping". It's not that Youk or anyone else instill great faith in anyone either, but I don't see ARod's return really being a boost.

Jete's return will be a boost to team moral and chemistry and offense. He's not much worse than Nunez in the field, but Nix is way better on D.

If the Yankees offense comes around, they will be the team to beat in the AL East this year. I said it this spring and still believe it now. How's that for a ping? Now, if they sit tight at the deadline, maybe they won't balance out their team. Losing Grandy  was huge. When he and Jete return, the offense should get a nice boost.

The yankees run differential this year so far is zero. That has the makings of a .500. Team not a serious contender.

No one here could argue with how putrid the Yankee offense has been however if you look at the other teams in the ALE they too have their warts.

The Yankee pitching from top to bottom is still deeper than any other team chasing the ALE pennant.

Any offense what-so-ever  can keep them close enough to be a threat down the stretch because of the pitching.

[/QUOTE]

And let's not forget that they can also chose to open up some very deep pockets too. As we speak there's no one team that's a prohibitive favorite to win the division. Which looks like a 90 win proposition. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

"yankee pitching deeper"

That was my position back in April and May.

Not so much now.

Couple that with the spring training type line up they post every night it's hard to see them playing come October.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

And let's not forget that they can also chose to open up some very deep pockets too. As we speak there's no one team that's a prohibitive favorite to win the division. Which looks like a 90 win proposition. 

"very deep pockets"

True when George ran the team.

Much different with "bottom line" Hal.

Look no further then this past off season where money dictated player movement.

When was the last time you saw yankee players leave because other clubs offered more money?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

"yankee pitching deeper"

Not so much now.

Couple that with the spring training type line up they post every night it's hard to see them playing come October.

Might be true if there was a team in the ALE with both offense and pitching to run away with it but there isn't.

The Yankee pitching deeper now than they were in the spring.

More than likely if Hughes is sub par today today he goes to the pen in lieu of Nova or the return of Pineda who has been pitching very well and is due for a call up.

CC, Kuroda, AP, Hughes, Phelps, Nova, Pineda, Warren all options for the rotation.

They could dump Hughes and Chamberlain and have options from within.

The reason they will stay close is because of pitching. Jeter, Granderson, Cervelli, Nunez due back after all star break.

And the trade deadline looms.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

I agree BT, I see this division going down to the final games but I have no idea who will be the winner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When was the last time you saw yankee players leave because other clubs offered more money?

Aceves (although it appeared the Yanks didn't even bid).

Before that?  

Ramiro Mendoza?

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

OK, I was overly harsh, and apologize. Otherwise, this is where we don't agree. The Yankee offense is pathetic; I believe Houston has scored more. And ARod, while a pariah, would still be an improvement on Adams, who, while a good prospect, doesn't currently belong in the Bigs. However, they do have good P. If you combined Baltimore's hitting with the NYY P staff, that would be a good team

I have always felt pitching and fielding combined trumps hitting. 

The fact that the Yanks have had a horrible offense, in part because Grandy and Jete have missed time, makes me feel that if they can just improve their offense a little bit, they can make the playoffs. The return of Grandy, Jeter and Youk could make a big offensive difference, and a moderate deal at the deadline could as well.

We disagree on ARod. To me, he is all done. I may be wrong, but I saw what happened to Lowell.

I'd still be worried about a big drop at SS fielding, and how Jete will effect the team ERA, but I've overtold that story already.

BTW, there are 3 AL teams that have scored less than NY's 297 runs: KC 288, Sea 281, & CWS 277. They are close to being #10 (Hou 301) & MN (306). It might be hard to get to #8 or 9, but if they do, they will probably win the division.

You may be right about ARod; as far as Jeter is concerned, if you thought he was a bad SS before, imagine the 39/40 yr old version with a bad wheel.

[/QUOTE]

I thought he was the worst fielding (fulltime) SS of the last decade. I still do. That is not close to being the worst overall SS. His offense and leadership abilities make him better than most- even now.

His offense has not seemed to suffer through aging... yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess getting Grandy, Jete and Youk back won't make a difference?

Any team with better pitching and decent fielding is going to stay in the race.

Perhaps, the Yanks make no deadline deal(s). Then, I may change my tune.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sox4ever

The last word I read on Youk is that he is likely not back until September, if at all.

As for Jeter, I know you can't wait to watch him play shortstop with probably even a little less mobility than before. Smile

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

This is a major blow, especially with Youk being out 10-12 weeks. The Yankees need ARod but he and the GM can't stay out of a pissing match.

They activated both of them too soon.

Wrong on both counts considering the injuries of each player.

Did Bautista come back after his similar wrist injury? And Tex is a switch hitter, I think everyone was skeptical this injury would heal without surgery just based on what we have seen in the past with other players with the same injury.

In the case of Youk who has been battling the back injury for at least 2 seasons when was a good time to bring him back from a debilitating injury of this type? Now we find out he needs surgery for a herniated disk.

Unless he has a 'Nick Johnson' type wrist injury

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Sox4ever

After seeing Pettitte and Joba, in their last couple of appearances, I'm not sure the Yankees pitching is what it was earlier in the year.

Hughes is pitching for his spot in the rotation today.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

OK, I was overly harsh, and apologize. Otherwise, this is where we don't agree. The Yankee offense is pathetic; I believe Houston has scored more. And ARod, while a pariah, would still be an improvement on Adams, who, while a good prospect, doesn't currently belong in the Bigs. However, they do have good P. If you combined Baltimore's hitting with the NYY P staff, that would be a good team

I have always felt pitching and fielding combined trumps hitting. 

The fact that the Yanks have had a horrible offense, in part because Grandy and Jete have missed time, makes me feel that if they can just improve their offense a little bit, they can make the playoffs. The return of Grandy, Jeter and Youk could make a big offensive difference, and a moderate deal at the deadline could as well.

We disagree on ARod. To me, he is all done. I may be wrong, but I saw what happened to Lowell.

I'd still be worried about a big drop at SS fielding, and how Jete will effect the team ERA, but I've overtold that story already.

BTW, there are 3 AL teams that have scored less than NY's 297 runs: KC 288, Sea 281, & CWS 277. They are close to being #10 (Hou 301) & MN (306). It might be hard to get to #8 or 9, but if they do, they will probably win the division.

You may be right about ARod; as far as Jeter is concerned, if you thought he was a bad SS before, imagine the 39/40 yr old version with a bad wheel.

I thought he was the worst fielding (fulltime) SS of the last decade. I still do. That is not close to being the worst overall SS. His offense and leadership abilities make him better than most- even now.

Before his 3000th hit, it certainly seemed that way for parts of 2 seasons.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before his 3000th hit, it certainly seemed that way for parts of 2 seasons.

Hde is certainly not the the same offensive player as he was from '98 to 2009, but after his "dip" in 2010, he has had a rising OPS: .710 > .743 > .791

Even a .710 OPS upon his return would be much better than the .541 OPS at SS so far this year. If he can give you guys a .750 to .790 OPS, that alone may be enough to boost you guys to the playoffs. Add Grandy to the mix, and I wouldn't bet against the Yanks.

Yes, the Pythaorean W-L record should be 38-39 this year, but the Yanks always find ways to win those close games. To be 42-35 without Jete, Tex, ARod and partially Grandy/Youk is pretty amazing. (That's just offense)

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

"yankee pitching deeper"

Not so much now.

Might be true if there was a team in the ALE with both offense and pitching to run away with it but there isn't.

More than likely if Hughes is sub par today today he goes to the pen in lieu of Nova or the return of Pineda who has been pitching very well and is due for a call up.

CC, Kuroda, AP, Hughes, Phelps, Nova, Pineda, Warren all options for the rotation.

The reason they will stay close is because of pitching. Jeter, Granderson, Cervelli, Nunez due back after all star break.

The list of options for the rotation is long but who among them has looked good beyond Kuroda?

CC hasn't looked himself, Andy has struggled and you know they are forced to watch his innings because of age, Hughes isn't dependable and the remaining names on your list are questionable at best.

I agree the ALE is w/o a dominate team and perhaps the yanks find a way to stay afloat.

As for the trading deadline I don't expect NY to be a major player. The franchise has shifted it's focus for monetary reasons and probably will hold on to their prospects and try to build a winner that way.

Whoever does come out of the east will in all likelyhood be one and done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

"yankee pitching deeper"

Not so much now.

The list of options for the rotation is long but who among them has looked good beyond Kuroda?

CC hasn't looked himself, Andy has struggled and you know they are forced to watch his innings because of age, Hughes isn't dependable and the remaining names on your list are questionable at best.

I agree the ALE is w/o a dominate team and perhaps the yanks find a way to stay afloat.

As for the trading deadline I don't expect NY to be a major player. The franchise has shifted it's focus for monetary reasons and probably will hold on to their prospects and try to build a winner that way.

You can dissect any ALE team and list their pitching problems, none have the rotation or pen depth currently that the Yankees do.

And why they are still hanging around.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/year/2013/seasontype/2/league/al

Yankee offense is totally depleted. Playing with a 4th string 3rd baseman behind Arod, Youk, Mustelier, 3rd string SS behind Jeter and Nunez.

Pitching is keeping them afloat today a good example of the Yankee season, Hughes pitches well gives up 2 to Texas who then win 2-0.

Youngsters Phelps, Warren and Claiborne have all pitched well up to give the Yankees depth. The Yankee offense is just too weak and too exposed.

At least going forward mgmt now knows that they will be without Tex and Youk.

And personally looking back I have to concede and admit that I was wrong in that signing Youk was not a good decision.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/league/al

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

"yankee pitching deeper"

Not so much now.

You can dissect any ALE team and list their pitching problems, none have the rotation or pen depth currently that the Yankees do.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/year/2013/seasontype/2/league/al

The Yankees had a great month of May in terms of pitching; no doubt about it. For May they were first in ERA in the AL. For April they were ninth, and for June to date they are 11th. I am not convinced they have enough pitching to compensate for their poor offense. Only KC, Seattle, and Chicago in the AL have scored fewer runs. Taking Tex, Youk, and Arod out is going to hurt. Having both offense and pitching is useful for the regular season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Bad luck for then Yankees. While I don't wish injury on any player, even a Yankee, this cannot help their hopes for 2013-and thats a good thing:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9426057/mark-teixeira-new-york-yankees-season-ending-wrist-surgery

Thought you were one of those that kept saying Theo made a mistake not breaking the bank for Tex?

[/QUOTE]

Mark Teixeira OPS for the Yankees: .948/.846/.835/.807 until he had an injury this year. He would have been a fine addition to our team.

[/QUOTE]

So he had one year > .846, for a 1B?  Basically one good year?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some AL East pitching numbers:

ERA+  WHIP  SIERA  tERA  WAR

Boston       112      1.352  3.94  4.67    7.3

NY Yanks   109      1.279  3.97  4.25    8.1

Tampa         93      1.282  3.91  4.37    4.9

Toronto     106      1.334  4.60  5.23    2.3

Baltimore    92      1.330  4.54  5.86    2.0

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Well?

1B:

Overbay  .711

Teixeira  .609.948>

3B:

Youk   .648

Adams .509

SS:

Nunez  .565

"yankee pitching deeper"

Not so much now.

Yankee offense is totally depleted. Playing with a 4th string 3rd baseman behind Arod, Youk, Mustelier, 3rd string SS behind Jeter and Nunez.

Pitching is keeping them afloat today a good example of the Yankee season, Hughes pitches well gives up 2 to Texas who then win 2-0.

Youngsters Phelps, Warren and Claiborne have all pitched well up to give the Yankees depth. The Yankee offense is just too weak and too exposed.

At least going forward mgmt now knows that they will be without Tex and Youk.

And personally looking back I have to concede and admit that I was wrong in that signing Youk was not a good decision.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/league/al

You might be right about the yankees pitching. They do have depth. I question how effective they will be going forward. I see older guys not pitching as well as they have in other years and some good looking young arms still unproven in a pennant race.

As for signing Youk I applaud your honesty. Cashman was between a rock and a hard place and took a shot.

For me a good baseball season has both NY and Boston in the hunt.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[/QUOTE] probably true, at least on past scales, but like last season i don't think they need to be "major"..though i'd certainly like to land at least one "difference maker"...but they definitely need "fits"..... 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

probably true, at least on past scales, but like last season i don't think they need to be "major"..though i'd certainly like to land at least one "difference maker"...but they definitely need "fits"..... 

[/QUOTE]

Cashman will be active for sure. It never hurts to look. Sometimes a small piece fits the puzzle better than a large one. I don't see than trading chips for a 2 month rental. Any movement imo will have to include long range projections.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Dear Teixeira:

Please do NOT post your progress on Twitter.  Cashman will get very upset.  He will curse at you.  LOL

You're welcome.

Sincerely,

A Red Sox fan  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Arod will never play another meaninful game in a Yankee uniform. He just want to get in the lineup according to a few articles so he can collect on the balance of his overblown contract. Someday the idiots in MLB will figure out the money they shell out on these long term contracts is just way too risky. I'm sure that some long term deals can work out, possibly shorter 3-5 year deal but the 10 year deal to Pujols at 30 years old, Arods deal were just plain idiotic moves.

I like the approach the Sox front office is using now, honing talent in the minors to stock the parent club with shorter term deals to fill in immediate needs. Signing socalled superstars is wonderful for 3+ years but deals much longer as we've seen can and will eventually strangle a club finncially.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has ever kept track of long term deal, 5+ years to see how many actually work out and how many fail miserably. Below is the link to a good article on this subjet from Bleacher Report. Although the article misses the boat on a few players it brings to light many deals that have not worked out.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1480834-20-worst-contracts-in-mlb

Hetch

Sections
Shortcuts