Teixeira out for the season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Teixeira out for the season

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

This is a major blow, especially with Youk being out 10-12 weeks. The Yankees need ARod but he and the GM can't stay out of a pissing match.

Arod will never play another meaninful game in a Yankee uniform. He just want to get in the lineup according to a few articles so he can collect on the balance of his overblown contract. Someday the idiots in MLB will figure out the money they shell out on these long term contracts is just way too risky. I'm sure that some long term deals can work out, possibly shorter 3-5 year deal but the 10 year deal to Pujols at 30 years old, Arods deal were just plain idiotic moves.

I like the approach the Sox front office is using now, honing talent in the minors to stock the parent club with shorter term deals to fill in immediate needs. Signing socalled superstars is wonderful for 3+ years but deals much longer as we've seen can and will eventually strangle a club finncially.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has ever kept track of long term deal, 5+ years to see how many actually work out and how many fail miserably. Below is the link to a good article on this subjet from Bleacher Report. Although the article misses the boat on a few players it brings to light many deals that have not worked out.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1480834-20-worst-contracts-in-mlb

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

sorry hetch

that makes no sense

other than getting suspended arod gets his money hurt or not

besides, other than getting suspended,  it's hard to imagine that he doesn't want to play

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

This is a major blow, especially with Youk being out 10-12 weeks. The Yankees need ARod but he and the GM can't stay out of a pissing match.

Arod will never play another meaninful game in a Yankee uniform. He just want to get in the lineup according to a few articles so he can collect on the balance of his overblown contract.Someday the idiots in MLB will figure out the money they shell out on these long term contracts is just way too risky. I'm sure that some long term deals can work out, possibly shorter 3-5 year deal but the 10 year deal to Pujols at 30 years old, Arods deal were just plain idiotic moves.

I like the approach the Sox front office is using now, honing talent in the minors to stock the parent club with shorter term deals to fill in immediate needs. Signing socalled superstars is wonderful for 3+ years but deals much longer as we've seen can and will eventually strangle a club finncially.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has ever kept track of long term deal, 5+ years to see how many actually work out and how many fail miserably. Below is the link to a good article on this subjet from Bleacher Report. Although the article misses the boat on a few players it brings to light many deals that have not worked out.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1480834-20-worst-contracts-in-mlb

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

sorry hetch

that makes no sense

other than getting suspended arod gets his money hurt or not

besides, other than getting suspended,  it's hard to imagine that he doesn't want to play

[/QUOTE]

I am quite sure that Cashman will leave no stone unturned in his quest to find a way to void the remainder of Arod's contract. I am also quite sure that Arod know that by getting back on the field he will make sure his paychecks will continue unabated. And as Hetch said, his days of contibuting to the Yankees in a meaningful way are probably over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

As for signing Youk I applaud your honesty. Cashman was between a rock and a hard place and took a shot.

For me a good baseball season has both NY and Boston in the hunt.

The concept of Youk was fine, the price was too high.  $12M for a guy that doesn't figure to play > 120 games is like $16M for a healthy player.  And they paid Youk $12M after having passed on Martin at ~ $8M and Chavez at ~ $3M.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

As for signing Youk I applaud your honesty. Cashman was between a rock and a hard place and took a shot.

For me a good baseball season has both NY and Boston in the hunt.

The concept of Youk was fine, the price was too high.  $12M for a guy that doesn't figure to play > 120 games is like $16M for a healthy player.  And they paid Youk $12M after having passed on Martin at ~ $8M and Chavez at ~ $3M.

Martin was offered 14 m for two years by the Yankees before the season and rejected it, I think currently he's hitting in the lofty 230s, even Stewart hitting for a higher average than Martin, Martin with more homeruns, I fail to see where Martin's presence would help the current line-up. Cervelli had much better numbers than Martin this season before he was injured.

As far as Chavez goes he's been on the DL much more than even Youk in recent years nice player but he just can't stay healthy. Signing him was as big a risk as signing Youk, Chavez like Nick Johnson is made of glass..

Besides they had a plan for third, the Yankees signed a Cuban Ronier Mustelier as a back-up 3rd baseman, not great D but a lot of pop in his bat he was behind ARod and Youk at 3rd string, but guess what? He too was injured early on and is still unable to play and why Adams who is actually a 2nd baseman is at third.

Really is difficult for me to phathom where either Chavez or Martin would have changed or positively impacted the current Yankee offensive issues very much.

If you want to criticize the Yankee management with shoulda/coulda arguments a good one would be to point out when the two Cuban free agents Cespedes and Puig were available they looked the other way.

Sections
Shortcuts