Tek's Incredible and Underrated Value

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: Tek's Incredible and Underrated Value

He also makes the game shorter hitting into a double play or two.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

A's are a small ball team. Lackey was good with Salty, last night. Tek is hitting zero. Tek couldn't go that much even if they wanted to use him that much.

Harness, really, just post under Harness

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Always have. Always will. How many identities have you  - the person currently posting as BaseballGM - posted under?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Tek's Incredible and Underrated Value:
    [QUOTE]Note how when he starts, the pitchers are good or great. Why Coma is not starting Tek (4/5 pitchers), one will never know.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Ya think? The question is his stamina, which is even true for a guy in his 20s.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Apr 15BOS TOR   PC  945.03 hits5 BB3 K's0 HR        Salty  
     Apr 20BOS OAK   PC 102  5.16 hits4 BB2 K's1 HR        Varitick  

Salty, nice calling with Buch to not give up more hits and a homerun. Work with Varitek on that.

Back to back starts for Buch, Varitek magic fingers myth busted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Damn, where did I put that Buch no-hitter with Tek...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Small sampl sizes, but it just goes to show how a team can still win with a catcher hitting .053. Other factors ca far outweigh a catcher's hitting.... see Mathis vs Napoli.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The RS pitching staff has been coddled and spoiled into believing they can only pitch to Tek.
    Although I agree that Salty's not the answer to their catching woes, I wonder if they wouldn't have the same problem with anyone else other than Tek.

I predict Saltalamacchia's throwing problems will worsen and because he hasn't shown much offensive capability, will be sent back down or be out of baseball all together.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Tek's Incredible and Underrated Value:
    [QUOTE]Note how when he starts, the pitchers are good or great. Why Coma is not starting Tek (4/5 pitchers), one will never know.

Are his talents really underrated when countless TV personalities, journalists, and fans discuss his supposed abilities (not making judgment) every chance they get?  Just on this board alone, there have probably been no less than 25 threads on the topic over the last few months.  If anything, those skills are overrated.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Tek=Willie Mays in his final year...painful to watch

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Tek's Incredible and Underrated Value:
    [QUOTE]Always have. Always will. How many identities have you  - the person currently posting as BaseballGM - posted under?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Be very careful. I got in BIIIIG trouble with "The Sheriff" for posting such things.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Re: Tek's Incredible and Underrated Value:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tek's Incredible and Underrated Value : I disagree.  I hear complaints and people focus on his lack of hitting as a major problem.   I would Tek over Posada any day of the week for this reason. It's like Alex Gonzalez debate. Who cares if he isn't hitting .275 or higher, and has an OB% over .340 when his defense is that good, making the 3B and 2B look better than they are? Defense.

I'm not saying that the lack of hitting or poor pitching isn't the problem.  I'm saying that if people call someone underrated enough times, he's officially not overrated.  harness (with all due respect to him) has talked more about Varitek's skills than any man alive.  There have been numerous very long threads on this board that have discussed exactly what you're discussing now.  Not a day goes by when I don't hear someone gush about Varitek's play calling skills.  Underrated players/skill sets don't get those kinds of accolades. 

As for Alex Gonzalez, his defense (at least now) is league average at best, he gets by mainly on reputation.  He's not an elite defender, and per advanced metrics, it's debatable that he ever was an elite defensive shortstop to begin with.  Furthermore, the reason Alex Gonzalez continued to get a job was only in part due to his defensive reputation.  The other part was the overreliance on power over on-base abilities. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

This whole Salty/ Varitek situation reminds me , somewhat, of the White Sox dilemma in the 80's. ChiSox tried to replace Carlton Fisk with Ron Karkovice. Karkovice was the hotshot kid who was supposed to be Fisk's replacement. Fisk was used at DH and in LF. Problem was the White Sox had a regular DH in Hal Baines. They also had a regular leftfielder in Ron Kittle. Fisk was getting old, but he was still a damn good catcher. Karkovice couldn't hit, Baines couldn't play defensively anymore (because of leg problems) but was still a potent hitter. Kittle had power but wasn't a good fielder. Sitting Fisk or DHing him was giving the White Sox a weaker lineup than when Fisk was behind the plate where his effectiveness was maximized.

Salty needs experience, Varitek in the lineup gives the Sox a better chance to win, even with a weak bat. The solution is obvious. Get an experienced catcher to split catching duties with Varitek 50/50 or 60/40. Send Saly to AAA where he can gain experience by catching every day. Work him in the batting cage, groom this guy for 2012 and beyond. He just isn't ready to be a #1 yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

once again i have seen nothing from Tek that outshines Salty behind the plate - just a lot of sentimentalism for the Capt - Salty needs to play everyday except when he's tired.....not in AAA

same for Drew over Cameron

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

georom,

respectfully....Salty and Drew playing everyday is managerial suicide.

Varitek may be "older", but he is hardly ready for the retirement home ( see:Wakefield). Varitek needs to play at least two or three games a week ( I think 3 to 4, is more like it...but everybody seems to think he can't handle this and that is hogwash). Salty can get over his immediate problems by playing everday in AAA , but the problem is we have two other young catchers that need playing time too. This is a major mess that Theo has created. And there is no easy solution that will satisfy us all.

Drew can't play everyday because he can't play everyday. He will have various symptoms and ailments which prevent this. He just isn't mentally willing or physically able to handle the major league grind of playing 130 games or more (+ playoffs!). He has never shown the ability or desire to do this....why should this change now?(contract year?)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

I thought that Drew has been playing more games per year than many of the Drew bashers in here give him credit for. I saw the stats recently in here. Does anyone remember them?

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

http://members.tripod.com/bb_catchers/catchers/catchno2.htm

Most no-hit games caught, career (nine innings)

4 - Jason Varitek, Boston AL, 2001, 2002, 2007, 2008

3 - Ray Schalk, Chicago AL, 1914, 1917, 1922 [2nd No-Hitter in 1914 disallowed]
    3 - Alan Ashby, Houston, 1979, 1981, 1986
    3 - Yogi Berra, New York, 1951 (2), 1956 (WS Perfect Game)
    3 - Roy Campanella, Brooklyn, 1952, 1956 (2)
    3 - Bill Carrigan, Boston A.L., 1911, 1916 (2)
    3 - Del Crandall, Milwaukee N.L., 1954, 1960 (2)
    3 - Lou Criger, Boston A.L. 1904, 1908, NY A.L. 1910
    3 - Johnny Edwards, Cincinnati, 1965 (2), St. Louis 1968
    3 - Silver Flint, Chicago N.L., 1880, 1882, 1885
    3 - Jim Hegan, Cleveland, 1947, 1948, 1951
    3 - Charles Johnson, Florida N.L. 1996, 1997, 2001
    3 - Ed McFarland, Phila N.L. 1898, Chicago A.L. 1902, 1905
    3 - Val Picinich, Phila A.L., 1916, Wash A.L., 1920, Boston A.L., 1923
    3 - Luke Sewell, Cleveland A.L., 1931, Chicago A.L., 1935, 1937
    3 - Jeff Torborg, Los Angeles N.L., 1965, 1970, California A.L., 1973
    2 - ***forty-three catchers
    1 - ###one-hundred-thirty-two catchers

25. This post has been removed.