telltale roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

telltale roster

25 guys, of course.  Always.  But right now it has 13 pitchers and 12 lineup players.  Most teams, including the Sox, normally carry 12 pitchers and 13 lineup players, which the Sox were doing until very recently when they sent Sutton down after acquiring Bedard. 

This gives the Sox 5 infielders, including the new guy Aviles and the four regulars (AGon, Pedroia, Scutaro, and Youkilis), 4 outfielders (Crawford, Ellsbury, Reddick, and McDonald), 2 catchers (Tek and Salty), and the DH Ortiz.  Even though that is the bare minimum for an AL team, it still allows Francona to makes some moves (Salty ran for Tek and scored a winning run, Aviles ran for Youk but didn't, McDonald can start against lefties, etc).  Just not as many. 

The 13 pitchers to me mean Francona wants one more arm to deal with the fact that Bedard is a risky acquisition, the Sox aren't quite ready to let Miller go (he can't be sent back to Pawtucket), it's good to have the extra arm when your pitching staff is so-so,  etc. 

And when was the last time the Sox carried five lefties (Lester, Bedard, Miller, Morales, and Williams)?  I'm guessing years.  I am also guessing  all those lefties are intended to give Francona lefty depth against two teams, Indians and Yankees, who have key lefty hitters.  For tonight and this weekend, those two are Granderson and Cano (Gardner is too, but not so key).   

In the four game Cleveland series, we saw four of the five pitch only because Francona wanted to use Lester against the Yankees--or it could have been all five.  Last night Bedard started, followed by Morales and then Miller (then Wheeler for the final out).  But Morales was quickly hammered for two key runs, then Miller gave up two more.   Thus the Indians lefty-heavy lineup got 7 runs off our lefties.   The good news of course is that Bedard held the Indians to 3 runs in 5 innings--certainly better than I expected. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Re: telltale roster

I mentioned it on another post yesterday.  LH's are actually hitting Morales better than RH's this yr so he hasn't really been a good matchup weapon in that respect.  Miller is an equal opportunity offender.  He can't be counted on to get anybody out.  I've never really seen him as an option in the bullpen.  He seems to struggle early in his appearances and I hate bringing in guys late in a games who can't throw strikes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: telltale roster:
    I mentioned it on another post yesterday.  LH's are actually hitting Morales better than RH's this yr so he hasn't really been a good matchup weapon in that respect.  Miller is an equal opportunity offender.  He can't be counted on to get anybody out.  I've never really seen him as an option in the bullpen.  He seems to struggle early in his appearances and I hate bringing in guys late in a games who can't throw strikes
    Posted by siestafiesta

That was my opinion about miller to the pen idea..Not good..Millers notorious for slow starts and warming up really quick and coming into the game on a few minutes notice does not serve AM well..as we all saw last night..Bedard, on the other hand, looked very promising to me..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

They are carrying 13 pitchers cause that's what Theo wants. God forbid we have a postion player go down. That would only leave one bench player since you really can't count Varitek since he only plays one position and using him leves you with no option behind the plate if he gets hurt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

My opinion, nothing more, is that having extra position players who can't hit doesn't help that much.  For now, an extra pitcher makes sense because the Sox pitching is the weakness of this team.

Last night Miller did not look like someone who starts slow.  His walks came in his second relief inning.  Last night he had a great curve that rarely found the strike zone.  When the hitters knew he had to throw hit, they took advantage. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-_yazzer. Show the-_yazzer's posts

My opinion, nothing more, is that having extra position players who can't hit doesn't help that much.  For now, an extra pitcher makes sense because the Sox pitching is the weakness of this team. Last night Miller did not look like someone who starts slow.  His walks came in his second relief inning.  Last night he had a great curve that rarely found the strike zone.  When the hitters knew he had to throw hit, they took advantage. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

miller is another of many failed experiments by BARON FRANKENEPSTEIN.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox are in a bind due to Miller's option status. He really should be in Pawtucket, but they are not able to do it.  I am sure the thirteen pitcher situation is temporary, but right now they are not sure which pitcher to let go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I would say 13 pitchers is a temporary move.

However , in the AL with the DH, you really only need 3 position players on your bench , a backup catcher, a backup outfielder and a backup infielder. Pinch hitting with this lineup is nuts, our regular lineup does not have many weak bats. The backups are mainly there in case of injury. Longterm injuries can be dealt with after the game, and Pawtucket is less than an hour travel time from Boston.

The difference between carrying 12 pitchers or 13 is not a refelection on the abilities of Bedard. He is a veteran and they know what he is capable of doing, the 13 pitchers is more of a precaution against rain-delays and extra inning affairs, which we've had recently and can strain your pitching staff. All in all this is a wise move at this point of the season and see no reason to make it an issue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: telltale roster : miller is another of many failed experiments by BARON FRANKENEPSTEIN.
    Posted by the-_yazzer

Hey.  progress.  At least you didn't write Inepstein.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiles-all-around. Show smiles-all-around's posts

And when was the last time the Sox carried five lefties (Lester, Bedard, Miller, Morales, and Williams)?  I'm guessing years.  I am also guessing  all those lefties are intended to give Francona lefty depth against two teams, Indians and Yankees, who have key lefty hitters.  For tonight and this weekend, those two are Granderson and Cano (Gardner is too, but not so key).   

Max, I am not sure the sox having 5 lefties this year is an advantage for the sox against the yankees.  The yankees this year are hitting .85 vs Lefties and .258 vs Righties, slg vs Lefties is .464 slg vs Righties is .438, OPS vs Lefties is .827 and OPS vs Righties is .776.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-_yazzer. Show the-_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: telltale roster : Hey.  progress.  At least you didn't write Inepstein.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

no, but he is that too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Maybe you can use Miller as a starter where he might scatter a bunch of walks over a number of innings and give up a few runs, but you absolutely can't have that out of the pen. I would rather have Okajima in there than Miller with his control issues getting getting thumped by left handed batters sitting on fast balls.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"I would say 13 pitchers is a temporary move."

I agree.  I think they wanted an extra extra guy in the BP because they didn't know how long Bedard would be able to go. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Sox are in a bind due to Miller's option status. He really should be in Pawtucket, but they are not able to do it.  I am sure the thirteen pitcher situation is temporary, but right now they are not sure which pitcher to let go.
    Posted by dgalehouse

It makes you wonder if Theo is really that high on Miller.    He's fallen below expectations and not a good reason to worry that he's out of options.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In part the 13 reflects the fact that they don't want to expose Miller to waivers and are conflicted about dropping Williams or Morales.

It is not a sustainable roster balance and will end when Lowrie comes off of the DL if not sooner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Morales seems to have one good outing followed by a bad one. Williams had a decent one last time out though a couple of his 4 outs (Hafner & Fukodome) were warning track shots from left handed batters. I'd give Miller one or two more outings as a starter and if they are dreadful you just give up on the experiment. All 3 of these guys appear to have talent but are woefully inconsistent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: telltale roster : miller is another of many failed experiments by BARON FRANKENEPSTEIN.
    Posted by the-_yazzer

Yeah I don't think Baron Frankenepstien is going to catch on.

Miller was just a retread pitching at AAA that they wanted to eat up some innings. He did that, now he can go away again.  That isn't a bad signing.  He is what he is.  if you think thats a bad signing you think Drew Sutton is a bad signing.  They are just depth guys. Every team has them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Everyone seems to forget that in mid-June Epstein could easily have let Miller go.  He brought him up as a starter because he was pitching well in AAA and seemed to have overcome the control problem.  He was so good that other teams were reportedly talking to his agent, etc--including the Yankees.  But in the event he just didn't have it. 

Funny thing is, he could one day finally figure out how to repeat his motion/release/whatever and become pretty darn good.  That curve of his can be wicked, and there was a time when he threw in the mid to upper 90's.  Coulda,shoulda,woulda. 

I only started this thread because no one else on this board seemed to notice the anomaly of 13 pitchers.  There is a tendency on this board to look at the most complicated stats about teams and individuals and ignore the simpler ones.  I do that myself. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiles-all-around. Show smiles-all-around's posts

Everyone seems to forget that in mid-June Epstein could easily have let Miller go.  He brought him up as a starter because he was pitching well in AAA and seemed to have overcome the control problem.  He was so good that other teams were reportedly talking to his agent, etc--including the Yankees.  But in the event he just didn't have it.  Funny thing is, he could one day finally figure out how to repeat his motion/release/whatever and become pretty darn good.  That curve of his can be wicked, and there was a time when he threw in the mid to upper 90's.  Coulda,shoulda,woulda.  I only started this thread because no one else on this board seemed to notice the anomaly of 13 pitchers.  There is a tendency on this board to look at the most complicated stats about teams and individuals and ignore the simpler ones.  I do that myself. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

and don't forget the 5 lefties just for the indians and yankees even though the yankees hit better against lefties

Sections
Shortcuts