Terry Francona, Red Sox Dealing With Unfair Interleague Situation, Says Ken Rosenthal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Terry Francona, Red Sox Dealing With Unfair Interleague Situation, Says Ken Rosenthal

by Corey Hanlon/NESN

The Boston Red Sox are such a dominating offensive team largely in part because of their designated hitter, David Ortiz. However, with nine straight games in interleague ballparks, FOX baseball reporter Ken Rosenthal thinks the Red Sox' situation is unfair.

The debate over what do to with Adrian Gonzalez and Ortiz has taken over Boston sports talk as of late. Do the sox move Gonzalez to right field to give Ortiz playing time? Does Ortiz sit a majority of the trip to keep Gonzalez in?

These questions, according to Rosenthal, should never have to be addressed by Red Sox manager Terry Francona.

"This is the exact kind of decision that a manager should not have to make," said Rosenthal on FOXSports.com. "And the reason he has to make it is because interleague play is a little bit out of hand here. 

"You can't have an American League team playing three straight series in a National League park, when that team is built around [in part] a designated hitter."

The nine-game stretch only hurts American League teams like the Red Sox who have to adjust to the lack of a DH and have pitchers step into the batters box.

Rosenthal also commented on the potential for future realignment to prevent these kind of situations.

"That's fine, but somehow they have to fix the schedule so it’s not a situation where a team like the Red Sox is forced to make this devil's choice.

"Not a good choice -- a choice that ultimately could put Adrian Gonzalez in physical risk"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Terry Francona, Red Sox Dealing With Unfair Interleague Situation, Says Ken Rosenthal

boo freakin hoo...what about all those ace pitchers in the NL who have to hit every game they start? if they are not crying about injuries than Sox bootlickers shouldnt...what a pathetic article - embarrassing to us Sox fans

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Re: Terry Francona, Red Sox Dealing With Unfair Interleague Situation, Says Ken Rosenthal

Francona wrestling with a tough decision

PITTSBURGH –- Terry Francona wants to get David Ortiz into the lineup. But he’s not quite sure he can take the risk of playing Adrian Gonzalez in right field.

Ortiz will start the game tonight on the bench and that will be the case tomorrow. But there seems to be a possibility of Ortiz playing first base on Sunday with Gonzalez shifting to right field.

Playing National League rules and not having the designated hitter has forced Francona into making an uncomfortable decision. Either sit Ortiz and risk him going cold, or play Gonzalez in right field and risk an injury that could derail the season.

“I don’t know. I really don’t know,” Francona said when asked what he planned to do. “I’m not happy about David sitting for nine straight games and I’m also not happy about putting Gonzy in right field. Neither choice is very appealing."

Tim Wakefield gives up a lot of fly balls, so Gonzalez will not play right field tomorrow night. But with Andrew Miller on the mound on Sunday, Francona might take the chance. Miller is more of a groundball pitcher and theoretically should get more strikeouts.

“I really don’t what I’m going to do,” Francona said. “Before I would do it, I would sit down and talk to [general manager] Theo [Epstein], the coaches. … If something ever happened, I’d have to live with it. We’ll see.

"If Gonzy chases a ball down and pulls a hamstring or something, I’m going to have a hard time with that one.”

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Can Ortiz pitch?Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

This of course has been talked to it is old. But I would venture a guess that while the MLB offices won't ever address it, a AL team will not be scheduled for 9 straight games with two off days on the road against the NL again anytime soon.

It was a scheduling error nobody thought about. But in 2011 it is what it is and the RS need to play through it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Terry Francona, Red Sox Dealing With Unfair Interleague Situation, Says Ken Rosenthal:
    [QUOTE]boo freakin hoo...what about all those ace pitchers in the NL who have to hit every game they start? if they are not crying about injuries than Sox bootlickers shouldnt...what a pathetic article - embarrassing to us Sox fans
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    Those NL pitchers take batting practice and have some experience running the bases.  It's cold turkey for Sox and other AL pitchers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Rosenthal is a clueless drone with a platform. He's like the Olney idiot who claimed Ortiz was likely to be DFA after a meeting. These are little short men who know people in the entertainment business. Hiring them violates federal laws, but federal laws are selectively enforced.

The sluggers make this Red Sox offense go. If they don't hit, the offense isn't going to go, regardless of whether a scatback is running around or not. If the sluggers don't make the offense go, it will take great pitching to win the game, regardless of what the scatbacks do. That's why Agon is a great value and Crawford is not. All the supporting cast does is wait for the sluggers to make the offense go. Otherwise, you get what happened, tonight. AGon, Youk and Pedroia are high OPS guys. If one of them are on, the offense will be adequate. If two are on, the offense will be scoring a lot of runs.

Tonight, they nibbled on AGon and pitched around Youk to put away Mac and/or Cameron. That's NL style ball. Tito made serious management errors. Pedroia isn't the same as what he was on the pop basis, but will hopefully regain that when he adjusts and/or gets the screw out of his wheel. With Bellsbury and Pedroia, they simply pound the K zone and give up a few punch and judy singles. They get to AGon, and they nibble, then stay away from Youk and close out the inning by blowing Mac and/or Cameron away.

The lineup mistake that Tito made was putting Mac and Cameron in the 5 and 6 holes. Here was the correct lineup:

Ellsbury
    Scutaro
    AGon
    Youk
    Pedroia
    Varitek (pinch Ortiz/Drew)
    Cameron (pinch Ortiz/Drew)
    Mac (pinch Ortiz/Drew)
    Pitcher (pinch Ortiz/Drew)

Tito had it handed to him. I don't care if he managed in the NL, he was an idiot for not making the obvious lineup adjustment. Putting Pedroia in the 5 hole would have put a 1.048 OPS v LHP in the 5 hole and put punch and judy recently good OBP and split numbers v. LHP Scutaro in the 2 spot, instead of down the lineup. This would have put the Pirate starter into some serously higher stress level with one mistake to Pedroia and a gapper. With Mac and Cameron, seldom used and scuffing at the plate, putting them in the 5 and 6 hole is tantamount to manager malpractice!

In addition, as another poster points out, he had to employ the double switch and get Reddick and Ortiz in sooner and/or higher up with RISP in the middle part of the game. It's all about percentages.

Having Varitek move the runners up, with no outs, was the correct play. But, had Pedroia been in the 5 spot, at that point, one on, if the Pirates call for the righty to turn Varitek around, then Reddick or Drew could have pinch hit for Varitek, followed by Ortiz pinch hitting for Cameron's spot. Likely worse case, one run to put the pressure on the Pirates closer. Drew or Reddick can pinch hit for the 9th spot.

Tito's good on keeping his players happy and restoring confidence after the struggles, but he's a poor game manager who is very scared to play his cards until the very end of the game. He's also very poor at putting his players in the right spots and matchups when making out lineups against pitchers. Many times, the tipping point comes in the middle innings, especially in NL ball.

A good mangers admits his mistakes and isn't scared to make adjustments. A bad one rationalizes the mistakes and tries to keep the upper hand by sticking to his guns.

Tonight's lineup decision was an embarrassing mistake, even if Mac or Cameron happened to launch one. The odds of that happening were too small to validate the decision, even if it "worked" one time.

NL ball is about good defense, punch and judy, small ball, one slugger, maybe, and good pitching to pitch around a slugger or two and mow through lineups that have slugging holes from the 5 spot on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

I'M NO MANAGER

BUT I'M PRETTY SURE ORTIZ AND DREW CAN'T PINCH HIT FOUR TIMES BETWEEN THEM

MIGHT HAVE TO LOOK UP THE RULES ON THAT ONE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

IF as part of the new  collective bargaining agreement   the DH was  ended ( not going to happen)  where would Papi be with this team ?

A PH back up 1st baseman ?  Maybe playing  1st base for a club like the Orioles?

I am sure when the Yanks play they'd like to have Tex and their DH play at the same time - but do they gnash their teeth like the Sox. 

We already had  9 interleague at home   now it's the 9 away ..

you should take  2 of  3  from Pittsburg and Houston at minimum with a NL (pitcher batting) line up any way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Terry Francona, Red Sox Dealing With Unfair Interleague Situation, Says Ken Rosenthal:
    [QUOTE]Rosenthal is a clueless drone with a platform. He's like the Olney idiot who claimed Ortiz was likely to be DFA after a meeting. These are little short men who know people in the entertainment business. Hiring them violates federal laws, but federal laws are selectively enforced. The sluggers make this Red Sox offense go. If they don't hit, the offense isn't going to go, regardless of whether a scatback is running around or not. If the sluggers don't make the offense go, it will take great pitching to win the game, regardless of what the scatbacks do. That's why Agon is a great value and Crawford is not. All the supporting cast does is wait for the sluggers to make the offense go. Otherwise, you get what happened, tonight. AGon, Youk and Pedroia are high OPS guys. If one of them are on, the offense will be adequate. If two are on, the offense will be scoring a lot of runs. Tonight, they nibbled on AGon and pitched around Youk to put away Mac and/or Cameron. That's NL style ball. Tito made serious management errors. Pedroia isn't the same as what he was on the pop basis, but will hopefully regain that when he adjusts and/or gets the screw out of his wheel. With Bellsbury and Pedroia, they simply pound the K zone and give up a few punch and judy singles. They get to AGon, and they nibble, then stay away from Youk and close out the inning by blowing Mac and/or Cameron away. The lineup mistake that Tito made was putting Mac and Cameron in the 5 and 6 holes. Here was the correct lineup: Ellsbury Scutaro AGon Youk Pedroia Varitek (pinch Ortiz/Drew) Cameron (pinch Ortiz/Drew) Mac (pinch Ortiz/Drew) Pitcher (pinch Ortiz/Drew) Tito had it handed to him. I don't care if he managed in the NL, he was an idiot for not making the obvious lineup adjustment. Putting Pedroia in the 5 hole would have put a 1.048 OPS v LHP in the 5 hole and put punch and judy recently good OBP and split numbers v. LHP Scutaro in the 2 spot, instead of down the lineup. This would have put the Pirate starter into some serously higher stress level with one mistake to Pedroia and a gapper. With Mac and Cameron, seldom used and scuffing at the plate, putting them in the 5 and 6 hole is tantamount to manager malpractice! In addition, as another poster points out, he had to employ the double switch and get Reddick and Ortiz in sooner and/or higher up with RISP in the middle part of the game. It's all about percentages. Having Varitek move the runners up, with no outs, was the correct play. But, had Pedroia been in the 5 spot, at that point, one on, if the Pirates call for the righty to turn Varitek around, then Reddick or Drew could have pinch hit for Varitek, followed by Ortiz pinch hitting for Cameron's spot. Likely worse case, one run to put the pressure on the Pirates closer. Drew or Reddick can pinch hit for the 9th spot. Tito's good on keeping his players happy and restoring confidence after the struggles, but he's a poor game manager who is very scared to play his cards until the very end of the game. He's also very poor at putting his players in the right spots and matchups when making out lineups against pitchers. Many times, the tipping point comes in the middle innings, especially in NL ball. A good mangers admits his mistakes and isn't scared to make adjustments. A bad one rationalizes the mistakes and tries to keep the upper hand by sticking to his guns. Tonight's lineup decision was an embarrassing mistake, even if Mac or Cameron happened to launch one. The odds of that happening were too small to validate the decision, even if it "worked" one time. NL ball is about good defense, punch and judy, small ball, one slugger, maybe, and good pitching to pitch around a slugger or two and mow through lineups that have slugging holes from the 5 spot on.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Bravo, and kudos. I was at the game, with a bird's eye view (upper deck, slightly off Home Plate, a good spot to see the pitches). All I can say is WOW, you were spot on. (If only you would stick to posts like these, others would take you more seriously, but I digress.)

First off, I think Tito is one of the best Mgrs in baseball; however, no MGR is perfect; (even Casey Stengel in his prime flubbed at times) and I saw some of the flaws tonight; rigidity with lineups and excessive loyalty (Girardi has a similar problem with standing up to Jeter; he may have had enough prima donna battles after what transpired with Posada.)

Tito was schooled by Clint Hurdle, who may be this yrs best Mgr in the NL. Although LaRussa & Tito are the Rock Stars, Showalter (who strikes fear in his entitled players; a good quality) and Hurdle may currently be the best. Hurdle is a story in itself; a disappointing young stud who took his talent for granted, I believe he's channeled that negative experience into what he is today; a grizzled tactician.

There were several key innings in this tense 3-1 game. Top of the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 8th, and bottom of the 3rd. But the inning that stood out for me was NOT the later innings, which shall garner the most attention, but the earlierones, especially the top of the 3rd. (In the bottom, Lester, who was sailing along with 2 perfect frames, was betrayed by shoddy defense and a surprise bunt)  

It was OBVIOUS they avoided Youkilis, given the lineup deficiencies (Why was Scutaro batting 8th? It was almost like Tito was saying, "I don't know what to do with him, so I'll put him here"). In the 3rd, he had no chance to see a pitch, but Maholm was still in nibble mode with the bases loaded on the 1st pitch to McDonald.  Hurdle darted out of the dugout. Often, Mgr, Pitching coach, catcher, and infield meetings don't do squat for the situation at hand, but not THIS time; this was an effective meeting. sitting in my seat, you couldfeel what Hurdle was saying to him: "Look; this guy's a .100 hitter for chrissake; just fire the freaking ball down the middle of the plate and we'll get out of this. Trust me"

And that is exactly what happened.

Eerily similar events happened in the 1st and 5th.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Geo - the point is that teams have to build themselves around their league rules but then are forced to adapt another league's rules in the middle of the season.  The argument is that if you are going have inter-league games then the rules should be consistent for both leagues..........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Terry Francona, Red Sox Dealing With Unfair Interleague Situation, Says Ken Rosenthal:
    [QUOTE]by Corey Hanlon/NESN The Boston Red Sox are such a dominating offensive team largely in part because of their designated hitter, David Ortiz . However, with nine straight games in interleague ballparks, FOX baseball reporter Ken Rosenthal thinks the Red Sox' situation is unfair .The debate over what do to with Adrian Gonzalez and Ortiz has taken over Boston sports talk as of late. Do the sox move Gonzalez to right field to give Ortiz playing time? Does Ortiz sit a majority of the trip to keep Gonzalez in? These questions, according to Rosenthal, should never have to be addressed by Red Sox manager Terry Francona . "This is the exact kind of decision that a manager should not have to make," said Rosenthal on FOXSports.com. "And the reason he has to make it is because interleague play is a little bit out of hand here.  "You can't have an American League team playing three straight series in a National League park, when that team is built around [in part] a designated hitter." The nine-game stretch only hurts American League teams like the Red Sox who have to adjust to the lack of a DH and have pitchers step into the batters box. Rosenthal also commented on the potential for future realignment to prevent these kind of situations. "That's fine, but somehow they have to fix the schedule so it’s not a situation where a team like the Red Sox is forced to make this devil's choice. "Not a good choice -- a choice that ultimately could put Adrian Gonzalez in physical risk"
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

It is what it is, strange that one league has a DH and the other doesn't.  This is an issue that should have been resolved a long time ago so these disadvantages and the risk of injuries don't come into play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]Often, Mgr, Pitching coach, catcher, and infield meetings don't do squat for the situation at hand, but not THIS time; this was an  effective  meeting. sitting in my seat, you could feel  what Hurdle was saying to him:  "Look; this guy's a .100 hitter for chrissake; just  fire  the freaking ball down the middle of the plate and we'll get out of this. Trust me" And that is exactly what happened. Eerily similar events happened in the 1st and 5th.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

It didn't take a rocket scientist, even in the first inning, to see that Youk wasn't going to get anything to hit last night.  Not with Laurel and Hardy hitting behind him.
    Why in the name of God's Green Earth would Tito follow those first four hitters with two automatic outs?