Terry Francona wants no part of Fenway’s celebration-Your thoughts?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Terry Francona wants no part of Fenway’s celebration-Your thoughts?

I can understand his feelings and respect. It's too bad. Despite the critics on this board, I think most fans would have liked to see him. He probably would have gotten a huge ovation.

I just hope that in 2014 that he'll come back for a celebration of the 2004 title. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

He would have definitely gotten a huge ovation.

He's only not going to be here because of how poorly management handled his firing, he said as much a month ago.

The only living manager to win a WS with the Red Sox won't be here to celebrate the park's 100th anniversary....that's truly a shame.

But it's also the right decision. Had management handled his departure with any class, he'd be there.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

But you won't see Manny there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Terry Francona wants no part of Fenway’s celebration-Your thoughts?:
    [QUOTE]He would have definitely gotten a huge ovation. He's only not going to be here because of how poorly management handled his firing, he said as much a month ago. The only living manager to win a WS with the Red Sox won't be here to celebrate the park's 100th anniversary....that's truly a shame. But it's also the right decision. Had management handled his departure with any class, he'd be there.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I agree with this post and I agree with Tito's decision to not be in Fenway.  Tito has handled this whole situation with more class than could be expected.  Too bad the same can't be said about LL and the FO.

And btw, thanks, Dan, for picking at that old scab of Tito's "pain medication". I understand that as a columnist you have a right to report the facts but: (see below)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

MGR tenures usually end sour, like divorces. Stengel, Toore & Berra didn't return to the Yankee ceremonies for about 10 yrs each (In Torre's case, it was less). 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Terry Francona wants no part of Fenway’s celebration-Your thoughts?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Terry Francona wants no part of Fenway’s celebration-Your thoughts? : manny won't be there because his grandmother died.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]
    ROFLMAOOOOO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I don't blame Francona at all.What Lucchinno did was completely unwarranted.Francona helped bring 2 Championships to a team that hadn't won in 86 years.He deserved better.
    But I also wish Tito would kind of realize this celebration is for the fans of the Red Sox and not just the current management.I believe he belongs in the celebration with a place of honor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Same think with Torre and the new Yankee Stadium celebration, he did not come either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]MGR tenures usually end sour, like divorces. Stengel, Toore & Berra didn't return to the Yankee ceremonies for about 10 yrs each (In Torre's case, it was less). 
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]Some how in all of this Terry has forgotten who gave him the chance for success. He was a nobody until he joined the Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]MGR tenures usually end sour, like divorces. Stengel, Toore & Berra didn't return to the Yankee ceremonies for about 10 yrs each (In Torre's case, it was less). 
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

True. But, without the smear job after he left, do you think Tito comes back for the celebration? I definitely do.

I honestly believe Tito believe most of what he said on the way out...most. He truly did believe his time had passed in Boston, and they DID need a new voice, so he was ok leaving. But I've heard him talk on more than one occasion about the things that were written after he left and how much that hurt him. There was absolutely no need for it, none. The ONLY thing that helps was to make management look better in the decision, and it had the opposite effect. Management underestimated the intelligence, and ability to see through the b s, of Sox fans. Too bad, it will be a black eye looking back when our grandkids see photos of the 100th celebration, and knowing they won 2 WS titles within the past 8 years, then ask why the manager of those teams wasn't there.

Shameful. It's really too bad. He'll come back one day, but it won't be such a monumental event. This will only happen once, and one of the more important people (still alive) from Fenway's 100 years will not be there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]He would have definitely gotten a huge ovation. He's only not going to be here because of how poorly management handled his firing, he said as much a month ago. The only living manager to win a WS with the Red Sox won't be here to celebrate the park's 100th anniversary....that's truly a shame. But it's also the right decision. Had management handled his departure with any class, he'd be there.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I agree.

It's a shame that he won't be part of it. I'm sure it's got to be gnawing away at him but he has to stand his ground if he has any pride.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

do it for the fans....they supported him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Lucchino is scum.  He went out of his way to smear Tito when it wasn't necessary.  Anyone can understand wanting to go a different direction.  But there is absolutely no excuse for the hatchett job performed on Tito given the fact that it was management's unwillingness to get this team the help they needed last year.

Tito's gone and the team has picked up exactly where they left off. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I was at the last game played in YS 2 in 2008. They showed a Yankee history highlight reel, which lasted about 15-30 minutes; this was the year after Torre was let go, and while they showed a bunch of relative no-names, there was not a split second of Torre in that reel.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]I was at the last game played in YS 2 in 2008. They showed a Yankee history highlight reel, which lasted about 15-30 minutes; this was the year after Torre was let go, and while they showed a bunch of relative no-names, there was not a split second of Torre in that reel.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]I'am sure Hank had something to do about that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Can't really blame Tito for taking a stand. According to him, ownership has not even made an effort to find out who was responsible for giving out information which lead to the published stories about his personal life in the Boston Globe. To mention dirt about his marriage & health issues was just wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

If you are a big league manager you have to know their are going to be consequences for losing.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]Can't really blame Tito for taking a stand. According to him, ownership has not even made an effort to find out who was responsible for giving out information which lead to the published stories about his personal life in the Boston Globe. To mention dirt about his marriage & health issues was just wrong.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

I agree. It was a despicable act.

I hope to see Francona back in Fenway someday to get the ovation he deserves, from the fans.

But, I don't blame him a bit for not wanting to show up this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Michfan wrote.."If you are a big league manager you have to know their are going to be consequences for losing."

No one is saying the Red Sox were wrong about firing Tito.  But after they fired him, there was no reason to suggest that the reason the team lost was because of his failing marriage or because of the pain medication.

They lost last year because they didn't have any pitching depth - kind of like the reason they are losing this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Any flaws of Tito's exposed in 2011 had existed for years.... to bring up medication was horribly low. All the team had to do it tell the truth, Tito was a players manager whom the players no longer listened to.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

They didn't search for the leak because Lucchino was the leak. Lucchino is a cancer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]They didn't search for the leak because Lucchino was the leak. Lucchino is a cancer.
    Posted by ABQDan[/QUOTE]

Agreed. He wants to reap benefits and never answer for failures. It's always someone else's fault.

Theo quitting for a few months makes so much more sense now. He disagreed to the point he quit over it rather than be their yes man, good for him. And he was proven right by them bringing him back.

Theo never wanted to leave, he just couldn't work with that egomaniac. That's my honest belief. Lucchino was never going anywhere as long as Henry owns this team. Good luck Cherrington, you'd better have your escape plan ready before they start painting you as the problem too.

Sections
Shortcuts