Terry lost this one

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Terry lost this one

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Terry lost this one

Sure looks like it.  Could have left Hill in and absolutely should not have left Albers in. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

You do know that the guy he brought in afterwards gave up a double, right? It's not the manager's fault, it is the pitcher's fault. Pitch better. I expect more out of your relief ace, Matt Albers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Can't wait to hear the post game wrap up from On Field Commander Tito. I'm getting ready for the glaring generalities and over simplifications.....stuff like "he was up in the zone" or "the ball didn't come out of his hand well" or some other babbling baseball BS. Try something like I didn't get a pitcher up quick enough for the unanticipated Albers meltdown. Accept some responsibility for this outcome.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

to busy rolling the bubblegum !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Re: Terry lost this one:
    [QUOTE]to busy rolling the bubblegum !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

Sox finally won 2004 DESPITE Francona. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

It was disgusting Tito!!!! This loss is on you!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

"Terry are upset about how this all turned out" Interviewer.

"No not at all, I mean a win would have been good, but the guys really battled."  Tito

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Was Francona giving up hits and walks and making errors in the field?  This loss was on the players, as it always is. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Sure looks like it.  Could have left Hill in and absolutely should not have left Albers in. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

No way. The 8th frame is not Hill's role.

Undecided

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

He saved the pen by losing this game. Tito is a smart guy. The debut of Oki's replacements was impressive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I love when a guy with 55 posts in three years starts a thread like this -- without even saying a word about it himself. It's so obvious when the aliases are out. I can't believe everyone still believes they're all Sox fans because the Yankee fans who spend thier entire lives here would never do such a thing. lol

FTR, I believe even if you were a supposed "doom and gloom" Sox fan, you would still be posting during the wins. It's still your team, and doom and gloom or not, you would still be happy at that time. And you could always find something else to worry about.

Listen up bubblehead aliases. We lost. Time to move on.  Another game tomorrow. Go get 'em Tim. Let's get back on the right track.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg. Show lifelongsoxdawg's posts

Yes, absolutely. Albers came in and allowed 2 singles and a walk to the first 3 hitters he faced but Terry left him in the game. He then proceeded to give up another walk and a double but Terry still left him in to face Soriano. Terry you're being paid to manage. Were you watching the same game? It was clear to most of the fans that Albers just didn't have his good stuff going tonight. This one falls on your shoulders Terry and you let the team down and all of the Red Sox fans down as well. DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!!!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, absolutely. Albers came in and allowed 2 singles and a walk to the first 3 hitters he faced but Terry left him in the game. He then proceeded to give up another walk and a double but Terry still left him in to face Soriano. Terry you're being paid to manage. Were you watching the same game? It was clear to most of the fans that Albers just didn't have his good stuff going tonight. This one falls on your shoulders Terry and you let the team down and all of the Red Sox fans down as well. DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!!!! 
    Posted by lifelongsoxdawg[/QUOTE]
    Yes, he totally should have brought in that one relief pitcher that doesn't need to warm up at all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The Spoiled, rush to judge again and again......

BOSTON -- As much as anyone, Terry Francona wanted to see Daniel Bard on the mound for the Red Sox in the eighth inning on Saturday, putting out the fire Matt Albers (right) had lit.

But Francona and his coaching staff had decided before the game that Bard would not pitch, giving the hard-throwing reliever an extra day of rest

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Bard was unavailable. Papelbon was properly being saved for the ninth. Morales was an unknown factor.Terry was pretty much stuck with Albers, who had a big off day, his first one. 
    But if you must find a mistake, try Crawford deciding too soon that he had a base hit and getting thrown out at first, costing the Sox a run and ending the inning. The play was in front of him.  Right, the second baseman made a great play -- but that happens. If Crawford runs straight to first, he beats the play.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

really bard needed rest? apparently 1 day was not enough. it is amazing how much pitchers these days are babied. a reliever who pitched 4 innings in the last 8 days needed 2 days of rest? really? and to whoever brought up the issue of roles being the reason why hill or wheeler didnt pitch the 8th, since when is it matt albers role to pitch the 8th? he is usually a 7th inning guy sometimes 6th. he obviously cant handle the pressure of the 8th inning. he imploded against at pretty weak offensive team. I mean only 1 guy on the team has more than 5 homers. It was one of the worst innings of baseball i have ever seen. a bases loaded walk, 2 errors, and 8 runs all in one inning. one thing that really hurt us tonight was a lack of hitting with runners in scoring position. we had lots of chances to score runs but failed to do so. but in the end this one is indeed on the coma. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Check Bard's innings and pitches for the season
    Albers isn't normally an eighth-inning man, but he was today of necessity. Terry had handled the pitching well through seven innings. His pitchers had given up one run. Albers has been getting people out.  
    The Sox butchered the inning. End of story. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

wxpitch--I didn't notice CC's run to first on his grounder up the middle until they did the replay. He would have beat the grounder out and we score the 4 th run and who knows what else may have happened. 

I will say if Morales can continue to pitch like he did in the ninth--he will be a fine addition. Wheeler and Hill looked good--if Albers had been his normal self we're sitting here this morning in first place by 1/2 game.

Re. Fran not bringing in someone to take Albers--that's his call--my concern was not having Morales up warming--Morales had only thrown a few pitches before he was brought in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Last night my blood was boiling too, but then I read Peter Abraham this morning.  It was on Albers, who had been great up to then.  Bard was told before the game he wouldn't be used because he was/is at risk of pitching too many innings.  Papelbon couldn't be used for a two inning save in May, especially with no days off through next Sunday.  Morales was completely untested.   And Albers has been great this season--time for him to pitch an 8th inning in a close game. 

Hindsight says Wheeler or Hill should have pitched more innings/outs, but that is just hindsight. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I wonder if the Doom-mongers would roast Tito if he pulled a Joe Torre?

April 15, 2011ι By JOEL SHERMAN

1. Brian Cashman defended himself yesterday against reliever abuse during his Yankees GM tenure by essentially saying, “it wasn’t me, it was Joe Torre.” I know that Torre’s bullpen use – or overuse – was certainly a tension point in the GM-manager relationship in those years. And Cashman explained yesterday that he confronted Torre on it, plus also pitching coaches, agents and the relievers themselves. He wanted the over-reliance on the hot set-up man to stop.

The top nine single-season appearance totals for Yankees relievers all occurred during the Torre years: Paul Quantrill 86 in 2004, Scott Proctor 83 in 2006, Tom Gordon 80 in 2004, Gordon 79 in 2005, Mike Stanton 79 in 2002, Steve Karsay 78 in 2002, Jeff Nelson 77 in 1997, Luis Vizcaino 77 in 2007 and Stanton 76 in 2001.

None of those relievers were really ever the same after those big innings totals; so they really did give their arms to Torre and the Yankees. It was wrong. But so would be looking at the problem completely retrospectively.

I think Torre should have stopped overusing the hot reliever of the moment. But I understood why he did. Think of the era. Steroids and offense were rampant. No lead ever really felt safe. George Steinbrenner for most of this period was vibrant and in charge of the Yankees. So Torre’s job, regardless of his success, was always in peril. The penalty for the Yankees manager overseeing a blown game then felt so much larger than it is now. So Joe Girardi can – wisely it should be added – have a rule that no set-up man is used more than two days in a row. But if Torre followed that rule and used the 10th and 11th man on his staff at a time when bats could not be easily quelled, well, the price would have been steep.

Does this forgive Torre for not rising above that and prioritizing the health of his pitchers? Not exactly. But if you were there, around the team, and felt the daily pressure to win and what it felt like when the Yankees blew a lead and lost you would understand better the atmosphere in which Torre was making those decisions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

I've been wondering about Albers this season. He pitches backwards. Gets ahead with sliders and finishes with fastballs. So far this season he has been getting his slider over early, with brilliant results, but last night he couldn't. Which means that hitters could sit on the fastball to hit and watch sliders go by and take walks. 

Tito's dilemma, besides not wanting to use Bard was seeing if Albers could right himself. A pitcher that can correct in game is worth his weight in gold. 

This is the first time Tito has had the opportunity this season to see if Albers can correct himself on the mound, in a game.  

He didn't. 

The test of Tito going forward will be on how he uses this info in even more important games later in the season. 

Wheels within wheels, baby; wheels within wheels...

-Daf. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

[QUOTE]Last night my blood was boiling too, but then I read Peter Abraham this morning.  It was on Albers, who had been great up to then.  Bard was told before the game he wouldn't be used because he was/is at risk of pitching too many innings.  Papelbon couldn't be used for a two inning save in May, especially with no days off through next Sunday.  Morales was completely untested.   And Albers has been great this season--time for him to pitch an 8th inning in a close game.  Hindsight says Wheeler or Hill should have pitched more innings/outs, but that is just hindsight. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    OK experts respond to this one:

"If the alternative is Bard getting an MRI down the road and visiting Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion, I'll take the loss."-Abraham

Good post max,  I'm in total agreement

"If the alternative is Bard getting an MRI down the road and visiting Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion, I'll take the loss."-Abraham

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from robert444. Show robert444's posts

How can everyone be so upset with Francoma losing this game. It is becoming a common occurence with him and his third base coach to make little league errors that cost games.Get use to it. As long as Francoma  remains with the Sox this will be part of their game!!!!!!!

25. This post has been removed.