Texas & Detroit The Iron of The American League

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Texas & Detroit The Iron of The American League

These two titans remind me of the Red Sox and Yankees of the earlier part of the new millennium.  Both the Sox and Yanks now seem plagued by aging rosters with too many bloated contracts and even more bloated egos.  Detroit and Texas by contrast seem to have balanced rosters with the right mix of youth and veterans who play well and show limited weaknesses. It is certainly early yet but these two teams look very impressive so far.  Texas who has been to the world series 2 straight years appears to have the best lineup in all of MLB with Detroit not far behind.  Both also have excellent pitching as well. What are your thoughts Sox fans?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Texas & Detroit The Iron of The American League

Josh Hamilton will only be 32 I think and is a potential free agent this upcoming year.... can he play RF?

Its what we do best, over-pay and steal the other teams best players. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Texas & Detroit The Iron of The American League:
    [QUOTE]These two titans remind me of the Red Sox and Yankees of the earlier part of the new millennium.  Both the Sox and Yanks now seem plagued by aging rosters with too many bloated contracts and even more bloated egos.  Detroit and Texas by contrast seem to have balanced rosters with the right mix of youth and veterans who play well and show limited weaknesses. It is certainly early yet but these two teams look very impressive so far.  Texas who has been to the world series 2 straight years appears to have the best lineup in all of MLB with Detroit not far behind.  Both also have excellent pitching as well. What are your thoughts Sox fans?
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

I agree that both Detriot and Texas are stout and not unlike the Red Sox of 2003 to the present. All have been constructed in the mold of and to compete with and against the mighty Yanks! Who entered the new millinium in dynastic form due to a formula in which Henry and now every team that wishes to compete has to follow. Build a team with 4 deep starting rotation, fronted by two "horses" with a deep pen with 3 shutdown guys to close games out, supported by a relentless lineup 1-9...

If we buy into the concept that professional sports tend to be copy cat leagues then the genesis of fielding teams with the above profile is can be traced to the Red and A's of the early 70's and one could argue Earl Wilson's Orioles...The difference is that today free agency and moneys play a greater role in teams ability to build championship rosters...The Yanks of the late 90's were not unlike those teams building a strong core from within...though they had an advantage they still own today over every team and that is thier ability to spend 200M plus annuallly...which is what in the end separated them from the field and why they have for now almost twenty years been prohibited favorites to win the AL East and are a perennial WS favorites.

The Yanks also to a degree were copy cats by starting the YES network which served to increase their revenues (See Ted turner and Atlanta the first team to use cable as a means to an end...Both raised the bar in terms of generating revenues that they then used to finance an infrastructure to support the cost of player aquisition and since the advent of revenue sharing and the moneys team now get from MLB and thier local TV-Cable deals. More and more we're seeing teams push the limits on payroll in the interest of building deep rosters...Texas sans thier new TV contract and the moneys they recieved from MLB would today still be a cellar dwellar and the same can be said for the Rays too...who if they had to live on the capital they earned would be a AAA team, beacuse in the end they would'nt have the moneys to fund thier minor league program and certainly would'nt have the resources to sign guys like Longoria & Shield to thier existing deals. A dynamic (revenue sharing) that has allowed small market clubs to now sign players that would otherwise have been cost prohibitive before revenue sharing and has ineffect eroded the depth and quaility of the free agent market...

In the end I don't know that I agree that see the problem with Sox or Yank's being due to having bloated contracts. The problem with the Sox and Yanks is that there are now more teams that have the resources and the talant pool to compete with them and since you can only have 25 players on your roster and one guy starting at each position. Neither of them enjoy a monopoly on talent.

That said, the Tigers, Rays and Rangers all have been to the dance and have but an AL pennent to show for thier efforts...That's because the Phillies, Giants and the Cardinals front offices got the memo too...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

I'm not fully sold on Detroit.  Their pitching is a bit thin and defensively they have many weaknesses.  Their lineup is solid but likely will be erratic (much like the Sox - 10+ runs possible but also 1-3 on any given night).  Texas, on the other hand, looks like the best team in MLB in quite some time.  The lineup is stacked top to bottom, they have some speed mixed in, the rotation and pen are deep, and they have at least 4 guys that could be golden glovers.  Only possible weakness I see is if they insist on keeping Nathan as closer (he seems to be on the downside of a great career).  Its still early but they have to be the favorites now.  As a Sox fan the hope is they wear down in the hot Texas sun.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

An excellent post, Beantowne.  Lots of good perspective there.

Re:  Your paragraph about the Rangers and Rays being AAA clubs:
    What's happening to the Rangers is what revenue sharing is supposed to do - it's leveling the field to allow those teams without the resources to be competitive.  Once they become competetive they start drawing fans and their balance sheet reverses itself.  This team now has the opportunity to make money.  It's working well for the Rangers and baseball in that they're drawing fans now and making money, hence the "support" from MLB worked.

The Rays are yet another story.  They still fail to draw fans and are being supported by MLB, kinda like a welfare child.  In spite of the fact that the team is winning and the Rays have a good system in place, people are staying away from the Trop in droves. All this while MLB continues to prop up the organization. 

I have no problem with revenue sharing as it pertains to the Rangers because they're now moving toward liquidity, but I can certainly understand why the "payers" in the Revenue Sharing pool resent what's going on in Tampa Bay, especially when two of the largest payers are in the Rays division!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

And as an afterthought...
    Maybe we as Sox fans need to take a good look at the schedule the Sox have to deal with this year, playing the Tigers, the Rangers, the Yankees and the Rays early in the season. 
    The record will get better as the schedule gets softer, but even that doesn't bode well for where the Sox may be in October. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Remember Theo messed up his works in the last three to four years.  He gave up too many farm system players via trades as well he signed too many bad free agents.  I just think that is because Theo became too independent as a GM after Boston won the 2007 world series title.  Before they won the 2007 title, I think that Larry L along with others have been working closely with Theo.  Then these upper front management staffs thought that Theo can just do his job alone without much help from the front management staffs. Since that happen, Theo have not done a good job.

Now Boston have Ben C., and he is going to do the same way the Boston have did from late 90's to prior 2007 world series title.  As well the same way that Texas, Angels and Detriot have did in the past two years.  

Give Ben C some time to fix the team's problem.  I knew this team will not get any better cuz Boston already have players that is signed for this season.  After this season, Ben C. will have alot of flexibility to spend money to bring in talent free agents to mix up with homegrown players.

If Boston doesnt make into the post season, I just want to see the Yankees not to make into the post season too.  Then I would not cry over what kind of season Boston have this year.  I just knew that Boston will have up and down this year base on the players that they have now!!  Dont blame Ben C. or the upper management staffs, blame Theo!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Sorry Zac but I stick to my original premise.  AROD is the same age as Big Papi(36), Jeter is a year older, Teixera though a few years younger has been showing signs of breaking down ala. Kevin Youkilis, Mo Rivera who has tapped into Ponce DeLeon's Fountain of Youth is now 43 years old.  Kiroda is 37 and Freddie Garcia is 35.  That means 40% of your starting staff is 35 or older, the left side of your infield is 36 and 1/2 and your closer is 43.  These are not insignificant facts. There are some good young players on both teams but on balance Detroit and Texas are younger, healthier and  trending upward. The extra wild card slot will help but my guess is one or both of our beloved teams may be on the outside looking in during October.  I could see either team finishing anywhere from 1st to 5th(that is how balanced the division is becoming) the sox look to be worse than the Yanks but TB is capable of beating both teams despite the sox taking 3 out of 4 over the Patriot's day weekend.  As you pointed out it is only April.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I can't buy that, Zac.  As anyone who's crossed that magic line from 35 to 40 and tried to play sports at any level can tell you, there's no turning away Father Time. He may sneak up on you a little at a time or he may bring you down all at once, but he's gonna get you!

I agree with the OP, that both of these teams are overloaded with aging players while the Rangers and (now) Detroit seem more poised for the future.  And when that happens.... what do we do about the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry?   We may just have to all become friends.  :-)) 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Texas & Detroit The Iron of The American League:
    [QUOTE]An excellent post, Beantowne.  Lots of good perspective there. Re:  Your paragraph about the Rangers and Rays being AAA clubs: What's happening to the Rangers is what revenue sharing is supposed to do - it's leveling the field to allow those teams without the resources to be competitive.  Once they become competetive they start drawing fans and their balance sheet reverses itself.  This team now has the opportunity to make money.  It's working well for the Rangers and baseball in that they're drawing fans now and making money, hence the "support" from MLB worked. The Rays are yet another story.  They still fail to draw fans and are being supported by MLB, kinda like a welfare child.  In spite of the fact that the team is winning and the Rays have a good system in place, people are staying away from the Trop in droves. All this while MLB continues to prop up the organization.  I have no problem with revenue sharing as it pertains to the Rangers because they're now moving toward liquidity, but I can certainly understand why the "payers" in the Revenue Sharing pool resent what's going on in Tampa Bay, especially when two of the largest payers are in the Rays division!
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

S5,
    Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes things can be weighted on face value. More often things are not what they appear. So one needs to walk around the entire problem and listein to the differing views of all parties to see it from all angles to arrive at the best conclusions.

I agree that revenue sharing has had a positive impact on the league as a whole. Call it what you will, but the Yankees as we know them can't exist without someone to play against. In the big pitcure revenue sharing has served to change the landscape of the league as we know it and perhaps it greatest value lies in propping up franchises that would otherwise be forced to move to another city or be contracted. Thus protecting shareholder values for teams like the Dodgers who just sold for 2 Billlion. In the end revenue sharing is a nessesary evil. Given the current fiscal model....In part MLB due to the complexity of existing contracts and the union. MLB will never be able to implement the type of salary cap structures that exist in the other major sports leagues. Which might not be a bad thing...I'm not a fan of the NBA's cap..Nor will they move to the revenue sharing of all TV money's like the NFL model.

What I would like to see MLB move to is mandating to teams that a pct of the moneys recieved from revenue sharing must be allocated to player development & aquision cost. After ensuring that all operating expenses have been paid...Use it or lose it proposition. In the end baseball generated some 5 billion dollars annual in revenues. So as such those that own teams aside from the value of the franchise aren't in it for benevolance...Some my see it as there own personal toy, but most are looking to increase shareholder value and overtime show a return investement...

All the while we the fans in the interest of entertainment and loyality continue to spend our hardearned moneys in support of our respespective hometown nines. Wanting nothing more than for our teams stewards to share in our thirst forthem to field a championship team. However lost on many is that in the end, Baseball not unlike all professional sports is a business first and foremost and not every owner is in it to win it...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Texas & Detroit The Iron of The American League:
    [QUOTE]Josh Hamilton will only be 32 I think and is a potential free agent this upcoming year.... can he play RF? Its what we do best, over-pay and steal the other teams best players. 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

He is one of my favorite MLB players and I would like to see him signed by the Red Sox.  Although, I wouldn't expect it to happen.