Texas contacted Red Sox about Andrew Bailey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Texas contacted Red Sox about Andrew Bailey

http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/2013/03/22/last-call-from-the-desert-joe-nathan-andrew-bailey/

The Rangers are looking for bullpen help and Red Sox relieverAndrew Bailey may be of interest to them.  The two clubs have spoken this spring and it shows the Rangers remain more concerned about their bullpen than their rotation.

The Rangers are concerned about their right-handed setup relief behind Nathan and Jason Frasor. They are hoping Lindblom and/or Tanner Scheppers slot in behind Nathan and Frasor but both have been inconsistent this spring. Both are trying to find the right mix of velocity and command.

Bailey was the Athletics closer in 2009-11 before being traded to the Red Sox. He was supposed to be their closer but he missed the first 41/2 month of the season with torn ligaments in his right thumb. He ended up pitching in 19 games and a 7.04, and the Red Sox traded for Joel Hanrahan in the off-season. But Bailey is making $4.1 million this season and still likely to make the team as a setup reliever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarnieWilson. Show CarnieWilson's posts

Re: Texas contacted Red Sox about Andrew Bailey

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/2013/03/22/last-call-from-the-desert-joe-nathan-andrew-bailey/

The Rangers are looking for bullpen help and Red Sox relieverAndrew Bailey may be of interest to them.  The two clubs have spoken this spring and it shows the Rangers remain more concerned about their bullpen than their rotation.

The Rangers are concerned about their right-handed setup relief behind Nathan and Jason Frasor. They are hoping Lindblom and/or Tanner Scheppers slot in behind Nathan and Frasor but both have been inconsistent this spring. Both are trying to find the right mix of velocity and command.

Bailey was the Athletics closer in 2009-11 before being traded to the Red Sox. He was supposed to be their closer but he missed the first 41/2 month of the season with torn ligaments in his right thumb. He ended up pitching in 19 games and a 7.04, and the Red Sox traded for Joel Hanrahan in the off-season. But Bailey is making $4.1 million this season and still likely to make the team as a setup reliever.

mrmojo, I think it would be a big mistake to start trading away members of this bullpen. It is one of our big strengths. The 2002 Angels went all the way because of their bullpen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

mrmojo, I think it would be a big mistake to start trading away members of this bullpen. It is one of our big strengths. The 2002 Angels went all the way because of their bullpen.

But there is a reason why every team wins the WS, and usually more than one.  One had sluggers, one had a great rotation, one had two aces, etc.

I'd listen, but I don't think we have enough depth at this point to make a move,  When Breslow and Morales return, then I think we'd need to move someone.

Theoretically-

• Hanrahan
    • Tazawa
    • Uhura
    • Bailey
    • Aceves
    • Breslow
    • Miller
    • Morales
    • Mortensen
    • Bard

That's 9 names.  Bard can certainly go down.  Tazawa can also, but he was our best BP arm last year.  That means you have to trade at least one good arm, and still probably have to trade Mortensen as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Depends what they are offering for him. Don't trade him just to thin out the pen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

There was no mention of the return.  Without that, there is not much to discuss. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Always open to CONVERSATION !!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The way Young Ben wheels and deals, he always gets less when dealing from a position of strength. He will probably pick up a .214 hitter and give Bailey away.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

But there is a reason why every team wins the WS, and usually more than one.  One had sluggers, one had a great rotation, one had two aces, etc.

I'd listen, but I don't think we have enough depth at this point to make a move,  When Breslow and Morales return, then I think we'd need to move someone.

Theoretically-

• Hanrahan
    • Tazawa
    • Uhura
    • Bailey
    • Aceves
    • Breslow
    • Miller
    • Morales
    • Mortensen
    • Bard

That's 9 names.  Bard can certainly go down.  Tazawa can also, but he was our best BP arm last year.  That means you have to trade at least one good arm, and still probably have to trade Mortensen as well.

Joe,  It would be very unwise to trade Mortensen and  J F knows that !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'd still listen to offers.

God knows this team is weak in many areas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'd certainly listen to offers but there's no need to deal someone from the pen unless it's for an over payment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

The way Young Ben wheels and deals, he always gets less when dealing from a position of strength. He will probably pick up a .214 hitter and give Bailey away.

when dealing from a position of strength?? you do know Bailey missed most of last year and was ineffective when he did return... his value is very low. in regards to Bailey, he is dealing from a position of weakness. If i was TX i wouldn't be offering anything more than a lottery arm...

He's been pitching OK in ST so far but certainly not well enough to improve his value over 8 innings.. i think if he does get dealt it will be a little bit into the season when Breslow and Morales get healthy and when he's had a chance to rebuild some value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would at least be willing to listen to what they would offer us back. Bailey is still a 2 time AS closer who suffered at thumb injury last year. GM's know hes worth more than what he showed last year and the Rangers know they need a legit closer to contend in the ALW this year.

As of late Bailey has been noticably better. But unless there going to overpay a little, I would keep him for now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

What i've seen so far from Hanrahan at least suggests his slip from 2011 to 2012 was no fluke.  WHIP is over 2.  Yes its only 6 innings but I would hold off on any Bailey move until we see JH pitch effectively.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theoretically-

• Hanrahan
    • Tazawa
    • Uhura
    • Bailey
    • Aceves
    • Breslow
    • Miller
    • Morales
    • Mortensen
    • Bard

It's actually 10 names, but who is counting?

I'd listen to offers for Bailey, but I wouldn't hand him away. I'd like to package Ellsbury with him and solve the the JBJ issue, but it isn't going to happen.

When everyone is healthy, someone will have to be creatively DL'd or traded. My bet is it will be Aceves or Bailey. I doubt Mortensen gets much in return, so I'd keep him around. I think he has real potential.

Tazawa needs to be on the big club if we want to win this year ASAP.

Bradley needs to be in CF if we want to win this year (worth waiting 11 days for).

Iggy needs to be our FT SS if we want to win this year.

All other moves and decisions should be based on these 3 factors.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Theoretically-

• Hanrahan
    • Tazawa
    • Uhura
    • Bailey
    • Aceves
    • Breslow
    • Miller
    • Morales
    • Mortensen
    • Bard

I'd listen to offers for Bailey, but I wouldn't hand him away. I'd like to package Ellsbury with him and solve the the JBJ issue, but it isn't going to happen.

When everyone is healthy, someone will have to be creatively DL'd or traded. My bet is it will be Aceves or Bailey. I doubt Mortensen gets much in return, so I'd keep him around. I think he has real potential.

Bradley needs to be in CF if we want to win this year (worth waiting 11 days for).

The JBJ issue is whether or not he is better than Gomes, not Ellsbury. Trading Ellsbury makes your team worse just not to make to a difficult decision go away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trade Ellsbury, Bailey, and Nava.

For: David Murphy and a couple top prospects.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Trade Ellsbury, Bailey, and Nava.

For: David Murphy and a couple top prospects.

What? Really?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

What? What kind of trade is that?

Bailey and Elles for Porcello.

I am for keeping Elles until July and see what is what

It's a trade to stregthen our future ( 2 top prospects), clear the way for JBJ in CF, solve the LF issue (Murphy) and find Papi's replacement (Gomes). It cuts salary and allows us to possible spend more at the deadline by picking up a salary dump or two.

I like Porcello too, but I do not think Detroit wants Ells at that cost.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Theoretically-

• Hanrahan
    • Tazawa
    • Uhura
    • Bailey
    • Aceves
    • Breslow
    • Miller
    • Morales
    • Mortensen
    • Bard

so, to have a chance to win this year we need to play JBJ but also get rid of Ells?? that sounds counter productive if we are trying to win this year. i mean, i like JBJ as much as the next guy but there is no way he surpasses Ells in terms of total production.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

so, to have a chance to win this year we need to play JBJ but also get rid of Ells?? that sounds counter productive if we are trying to win this year. i mean, i like JBJ as much as the next guy but there is no way he surpasses Ells in terms of total production.

Actually, the trading of Ellsbury would be for the future, and if we keep him, I suppose our 2013 chances do go up, but I doubt they move Ellsbury to LF, so a trade seems like in order.

No way JBJ outproduces Ells? I guess you are assuming good health and are not factoring in defense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Actually, the trading of Ellsbury would be for the future, and if we keep him, I suppose our 2013 chances do go up, but I doubt they move Ellsbury to LF, so a trade seems like in order.

No way JBJ outproduces Ells? I guess you are assuming good health and are not factoring in defense.

good health is always assumed until an injury occurs. and yes, i factored in defense. JBJ has better instincts. Ellsbury has more speed, their range is about equal although i would give a slight edge to JBJ. JBJ has a better arm than Ells by a LOT. i would just place jacoby a notch below JBJ defensively. But in terms of offense, Ells has a track record of success offensively. There's no telling what we will get from JBJ in a full season (minus 11 games) against MLB pitcher who are actually trying to get him out and pitching to scouting reports. So on that basis, i think Ells will have more production.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

moon The owner of the Tigers is pushing 90. They need a CF and most likely will need a closer.... anyhow your trade for Murphy... you should edit that before many more see it.   = )

The trade is for the 2 top prospects. Murphy just fills the LF need for a year and evens up the money a bit.

My offer stands.

Come one- come all.

See it.

25. This post has been removed.