Thank God for Hughes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Thank God for Hughes

Not suprised Mariano 'Pool Guy' Rivera' blew his 18th save agaisnt Boston.   And  thrilled when Hughes came in knowing he'd try to throw his so-called "sneaky fastball" by Reddick.  Word to the wise, all hitters coming out of Pawtucket murder the fastball. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: Thank God for Hughes

Putting in Hughes, was kind of panic move by Girardi, was his bull-pen that over worked.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Hughes stinks.  Had to know it was over once you saw him come in.  What a bust of a hyped up prosect he's turning out to be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Girardi likes Nova over Hughes and this gave him a chance to pass over Hughes for another week, and get Nova a start on Tuesday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God for Hughes:
    [QUOTE]Hughes stinks.  Had to know it was over once you saw him come in.  What a bust of a hyped up prosect he's turning out to be.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Even if that's true, he helped in 2009 as a terrific setup man; and his 2010 season, although he faltered in the 2nd half due to a tired arm, wasn't chopped liver.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Hughes has a solid fastball and is more built for the 7th/8th inning role. The kid still has ZERO secondary pitches and he is almost 25 years old now. He is the tools of a solid reliever and Girardi seems to agree.
    Nova has several pitches, kind of a poor man's El Duque Hernandez type.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Hughes has a solid fastball and is more built for the 7th/8th inning role. The kid still has ZERO secondary pitches and he is almost 25 years old now. He is the tools of a solid reliever and Girardi seems to agree. Nova has several pitches, kind of a poor man's El Duque Hernandez type.
    Posted by Celtics1986[/QUOTE]

To repeat; Hughes has a wicked 12-6 curve; but since it's been a while since he's hit 96 on the radar gun, it doesn't have the same effect; and I agree he shouldn't be a starter. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

His injuries have taken a toll on the previously live arm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]His injuries have taken a toll on the previously live arm.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Yes

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Thank God for Hughes:
    [QUOTE]Not suprised Mariano 'Pool Guy' Rivera' blew his 18th save agaisnt Boston.   And  thrilled when Hughes came in knowing he'd try to throw his so-called "sneaky fastball" by Reddick.  Word to the wise, all hitters coming out of Pawtucket murder the fastball. 
    Posted by fenwayjack2[/QUOTE]

It was a curve; next time open your eyes. Also, your nicknames speak volumes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Crazy how things work out in baseball sometimes. I thought both Hughes and Joba would torment us for years to come. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Thank God for Hughes : It was a curve; next time open your eyes. Also, your nicknames speak volumes.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Hughes is obviously a guy the Yankees must be on the fence with at this point.  His last start was a good one but he really hasn't lived up to expectations.  I'm sure the injuries may have taken some toll but none of the injuries were considered serious as you can see in the below article. 

I'm not sure Phil was ever the pitcher they thought he might be.

http://www.nomaas.org/hughesinjury.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]  Putting in Hughes, was kind of panic move by Girardi, was his bull-pen that over worked.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

how was it a panic move

can a panic move even  be made 2 days ahead of time ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]Hughes stinks.  Had to know it was over once you saw him come in.  What a bust of a hyped up prosect he's turning out to be.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

he stinks

but  yet he  has a better career winning % & whip than

the older Buchholz

does that mean clay stinks more ?

sure there's nothing wrong with knocking him for this yr

but just because he had a weak 2nd 1/2 last yr

doesn't mean the 1 1/2 seasons B4 that didn't happen

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank God for Hughes : how was it a panic move can a panic move even  be made 2 days ahead of time ?
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Hey Zac,

First off, I agree it wasn't a "panic move" it was part of Girardi's pre-series strategy. Hughes who was rested and ready to go (last night was his scheduled day to pitch), was in the pen last night to give the Yanks another arm and one that could pitch multiple innings if needed to keep them in the game, had Garcia struggled early not gotton out of the 5th. Hughes has pitched out of the pen in big games and was the right move and one that made sense given who he had left in the pen. Heading into extra's, it was Hughes game from that point forward to win or lose, his job was to keep putting up zero's even if the game went to 18 innings.

Up to that point Giradi had to feel good with Mo on the hill in the bottom of the 9th up 2-1. He got 5 out of Garcia, then used all of his bullets in what appeared to be the best laid plans, Logan, Soriano, Robertson all did thier job to set up the save for MO...I'm pretty sure had the Yank's scored in the top of the 10th to break the tie, Mo's back out there for the bottom half to close it out and try to get the win.

Could he have sent Mo out for one more? I guess so? In hindsight maybe he should've. I'll leave that to you guys to ponder... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank God for Hughes : he stinks but  yet he  has a better career winning % & whip than the older Buchholz does that mean clay stinks more ?   sure there's nothing wrong with knocking him for this yr but just because he had a weak 2nd 1/2 last yr doesn't mean the 1 1/2 seasons B4 that didn't happen

Girardi managed this whole series, like the season was on the line. Both teams are going to playoffs and Yanks will need a healthy and confident Hughes if they are going any where. That Girardi blew out his bull pen, there by putting Hughes in game, this from a guy who has had arm problems, smacks of panic. IMO Girardi was feeling the heat for his lack of success against Sox.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank God for Hughes :    Girardi managed this whole series, like the season was on the line. Both teams are going to playoffs and Yanks will need a healthy and confident Hughes if they are going any where. That Girardi blew out his bull pen, there by putting Hughes in game, this from a guy who has had arm problems, smacks of panic. IMO Girardi was feeling the heat for his lack of success against Sox.

Not sure that he blew out his bullpen, Hughes was not at risk of injury, he was rested and ready to go last night, had plenty of time to get loose before entering the game. Girardi managed the game in the text book 2011 master plan, get 5 or 6 from the starter and then go to his pen, he followed the script in the first game of the series and had MO done his part, the Yank's win 2 of 3 and all is good in Gotham and we're left to wonder if our rotation matches up with them in the post season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

thanks BT 4 two more good/ honest posts

had Garcia struggled early not gotton out of the 5th. Hughes has pitched out of the pen in big games and was the right move and one that made sense given who he had left in the pen. Heading into extra's, it was Hughes game from that point forward to win or lose, his job was to keep putting up zero's even if the game went to 18 innings.

I think there was part of girardi 1/2 hoping that hughes pitched 5 or 6 yesterday

so they didn't have to decide anything about hughes vs nova this week

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

It has been stated on other threads that Girardi called last night a 'must' win. What is he talking about. If these games were 'must' wins what about the next 6 they play against Sox is he going to have CC in pen.  Girardi needs to take a chill pill, and take a look at the big picture, like the great Francona does.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]   It has been stated on other threads that Girardi called last night a 'must' win. What is he talking about. If these games were 'must' wins what about the next 6 they play against Sox is he going to have CC in pen.  Girardi needs to take a chill pill, and take a look at the big picture, like the great Francona does.

Girardi called last night a 'must' win.

you have a link 4 that

I have one where he calls it a '' big game ''

and there's a difference

do you normally have a problem

with others being to honest

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]thanks BT 4 two more good/ honest posts had Garcia struggled early not gotton out of the 5th. Hughes has pitched out of the pen in big games and was the right move and one that made sense given who he had left in the pen. Heading into extra's, it was Hughes game from that point forward to win or lose, his job was to keep putting up zero's even if the game went to 18 innings. I think there was part of girardi 1/2 hoping that hughes pitched 5 or 6 yesterday so they didn't have to decide anything about hughes vs nova this week

Zac,

I try to see the game through the eyes of both managers and I'm not a big fan of hindsight is 20-20 arm chair managers opins. We're all entittled to pen whatever we want. What many fail to understand is there's alway underlying motives that both managers have when making in game decisions stuff we're not privy too and in some cases like letting Tek swing 3-0 maybe it was Francona trying to show Tek he trust him in that situation to make the right decision...Don't have to like the move and it's ok to find fault but in the end both managers have to win today with an eye on tomorrow...

As for Girardi's motives I think it was simply a case of Hughes was his best option to give him mulitple innings in a big game on the road, knowing he had the luxary of going to Nova on Tuesday, if Hughes had to go mulitple innings...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It was extra innings.  Hughes was fresh.  seemed like a natural move to me.  Sure, coulda rode Mo for another inning with a day off today, but, IMO, THAT would have been a panic move ("must win").  Why not give the ball to Hughes in a high leverage situation and see what he can do?  Of course, he didn't get it done.  Many of use predicted it.  Hughes ain't what he was.  But, the move was one of the few decent non-stretching-out-Mo moves Girardi could have made in that situation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]It was extra innings.  Hughes was fresh.  seemed like a natural move to me.  Sure, coulda rode Mo for another inning with a day off today, but, IMO, THAT would have been a panic move ("must win").  Why not give the ball to Hughes in a high leverage situation and see what he can do?  Of course, he didn't get it done.  Many of use predicted it.  Hughes ain't what he was.  But, the move was one of the few decent non-stretching-out-Mo moves Girardi could have made in that situation.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE.

I agree, it wasn't a bad move by Girardi, just a bad outing for Hughes like Bard the other night.  I was actually impressed with Girardi this series, he made some great moves.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank God for Hughes : Girardi called last night a 'must' win. you have a link 4 that I have one where he calls it a '' big game '' and there's a difference do you normally have a problem with others being to honest

I referenced other threads, and if Girardi never said 'must' win, then I'm guilty as charged. I have no problem with the truth, what I do have a problem with is people who have no sense of history.
        IMO Girardi pitching Hughes was a mistake, it took him out his comfort zone, and placed him in an untenable position, with lefty dominated line up coming up.
         If you knew anything about my personal life, you would know my very life depends on people being brutally honest with me, so fire away I can take it. BTW I enjoyed our little give and take on Jeter a few weeks ago.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

IMO Girardi pitching Hughes was a mistake

that's fine attic dan

the ''panic'' part is what we disagree on

ha ha I was thinking who posts that line

no good deed goes unpunished

yesterday when my 11 yr old daughter was watching tv

and lindsey loham said the same thing

it's all good dan

cheers

Sections
Shortcuts