Thank you Kolton Wong

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Thank you Kolton Wong

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

The best part was listening to McCarver and Buck droning on and on about how Napoli shouldn't be holding Wong on and was leaving a hole in the right side of the infield.Then before Wong knew what was happening. ....

WEEI played the St Louis feed of that play.

The radio guys were also laughing about Napoli holding Wong on, "for no good reason".

They stopped laughing in a hurry...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The best part was listening to McCarver and Buck droning on and on about how Napoli shouldn't be holding Wong on and was leaving a hole in the right side of the infield.Then before Wong knew what was happening. ....

[/QUOTE]

Those two have turned omens into an art form this post season. 

"David Ortiz has never homered off Joaquin Benoit."

"The Red Sox outfield has no extra base hits this series."

[/QUOTE]

That was something

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup!

That was funny!

[/QUOTE]

Agreed

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The radio guys were also laughing about Napoli holding Wong on, "for no good reason".

[/QUOTE]

Actually, the accepted strategy is to not hold him on in that situation since his run is meaningless. But with Napoli holding him on, he cannot wander off the bag. The coach has to let him know that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

True, it is a, ahem, cardinal sin of baseball to get picked off in that situation.

But putting it all on Wong does a disservice to what Uehara did.  That was one of the sneakiest, best timed pick-off moves I have ever seen, from a righty no less.  The syncopation against the flow of the game (the expectation of him coming to set, runner getting lead etc) was just phenomenal.

Yeah, bad by Wong, but that play was all Koji.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

reminded me of the 2000 WS...Piazza wasn't even entertaining the thought of a steal attempt and still got picked by Andy...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ergoetal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blocking the base is OK for any fielder.  When guys use to slide feet first, the deal was you can block the base but I'm going to some in spikes-high.  Fielders were a little more careful about blocking. 

[/QUOTE]

Funny...a fielder can block the base, but he can't obstruct the path to the base.

[/QUOTE]

unless he's in the act of fielding the ball...just can't miss it cause that were the rule gets gray...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

True, it is a, ahem, cardinal sin of baseball to get picked off in that situation.

But putting it all on Wong does a disservice to what Uehara did.  That was one of the sneakiest, best timed pick-off moves I have ever seen, from a righty no less.  The syncopation against the flow of the game (the expectation of him coming to set, runner getting lead etc) was just phenomenal.

Yeah, bad by Wong, but that play was all Koji.

[/QUOTE]

Never meant to slight Koji and Napoli for their part in executing the play.  Heck, as others have mentioned, they not only surpised Wong, but also Cardinal coaches, announcers, and the cameraperson.  

I liked your Cardinal sin pun, Space.  I would have used it in the thread title if I had thought of it first.  I guess we could also say that this gaffe was for the birds.  Notice I used red highlighting instead of yellow this time.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

This is from an NBC Sports Website:

Wong, a rookie second baseman who pinch-ran for the hobbled Allen Craig, added that he had no intention of trying to steal with Carlos Beltran up in a two-run game; he was just trying to get his lead for the pitch and hopefully go first to third or first to home on a base hit.

He still doesn't get it.  Why the heck does he need to get from first to third or first to home when he's not the tying the run?  He was just a place marker out there.  Other than conservatively running the bases to make his way home, his main job was to avoid making an out.  There's really not much to it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In his 230 career regular-season games,Koji had all of two pick-offs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wong, a rookie second baseman who pinch-ran for the hobbled Allen Craig, added that he had no intention of trying to steal with Carlos Beltran up in a two-run game; he was just trying to get his lead for the pitch and hopefully go first to third or first to home on a base hit.

He still doesn't get it.  Why the heck does he need to get from first to third or first to home when he's not the tying the run?  He was just a place marker out there.  Other than conservatively running the bases to make his way home, his main job was to avoid making an out.  There's really not much to it.

[/QUOTE]

But, again, I believe that he understood this.  That was the ninja genius of Uehara.  He was just in the process of taking his steps out for a modest lead, not trying to make anything happen per se.  But the quick, syncopated timing of Kojis move was genius.  He caught the precise moment when it seems natural for the runner to start out on his lead.  It wasnt him getting caught with too large a lead or leaning the wrong way.  He was caught psychologically sleeping because no one would have expected the throw to come at that moment.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

S5, I did notice that although in this case the throw did beat the runner plus it was right on the money.  The foot helped, but wasn't decisive. 

In the Rays series I also noticed the SS or 2B, when taking a throw from home on an attempted steal of 2B, was also blocking 2B with their foot. 

[/QUOTE]

And praised by the Buck/McCarver duo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

[QUOTE]

S5, I did notice that although in this case the throw did beat the runner plus it was right on the money.  The foot helped, but wasn't decisive. 

In the Rays series I also noticed the SS or 2B, when taking a throw from home on an attempted steal of 2B, was also blocking 2B with their foot. 

[/QUOTE]

And praised for it by the Buck/McCarver anti-Boston cheerleaders.  Can't MLB see the conflicting interests, and can't they see McCarver belongs in assisted-living? Is Buck's face sliding to his left - and is it caused by his plugs?  Hmmm....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I loved it when mccarver groaned when the play first happened, he was quiet but you could still hear him in the background.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But, again, I believe that he understood this.  That was the ninja genius of Uehara.  He was just in the process of taking his steps out for a modest lead, not trying to make anything happen per se.  But the quick, syncopated timing of Kojis move was genius.  He caught the precise moment when it seems natural for the runner to start out on his lead.  It wasnt him getting caught with too large a lead or leaning the wrong way.  He was caught psychologically sleeping because no one would have expected the throw to come at that moment.

[/QUOTE]

Koji- The Master of Deception.  I offer this respectful bow.

As well as a high five.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to painter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you listened closely you could hear mccarver groan in the background when the play was first made, I wonder who he is rooting for

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

reminded me of the 2000 WS...Piazza wasn't even entertaining the thought of a steal attempt and still got picked by Andy...

[/QUOTE]

Re-living the good old days hey jete Tongue Out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you listened closely you could hear mccarver groan in the background when the play was first made, I wonder who he is rooting for

[/QUOTE]

He's rooting for Fox, his employers, and will do what he thinks is necessary, or channelled through his earpiece, to keep eyeballs on the game, and especially on the promos and commericials.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, the accepted strategy is to not hold him on in that situation since his run is meaningless. But with Napoli holding him on, he cannot wander off the bag. The coach has to let him know that.

[/QUOTE]

In positioning himself there Napoli was also guarding the line against a double which would have put the tying run in scoring position. I think that sort of positioning is justifiable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's rooting for Fox, his employers, and will do what he thinks is necessary, or channelled through his earpiece, to keep eyeballs on the game, and especially on the promos and commericials.  

[/QUOTE]

To wit, that was one of the most moving God Bless America's I have ever heard during the 7th inning stretch.  Then cut immediately to McCarver "aren't these moments what its all about.  this great moment brought to you by Citibank who is proud to support our troops blahblahblha".  Thanks Citibank.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And praisedby the Buck/McCarver duo.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To wit, that was one of the most moving God Bless America's I have ever heard during the 7th inning stretch.  Then cut immediately to McCarver "aren't these moments what its all about.  this great moment brought to you by Citibank who is proud to support our troops blahblahblha".  Thanks Citibank.

[/QUOTE]

Tim McCarver is a great American and standout Fox employee.

Cue snarky Softlaw comment about Marxism and Government entitlements.  If not, I guess the mods have him 50/50ed for the moment.  I wonder if it's the 24 or 72 hour hold this time.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup!

That was funny!

[/QUOTE]

Agreed

[/QUOTE]

Steven~

Love your new avatar.  I loved the old man as a kid, good memories of NH vacations.  The air up there is so sweet you can almost taste it!

I was so sad when the old man lost his face Frown

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Naw, he is rooting against the sox no matter who they play, the yanks, tigers or cards.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup!

That was funny!

[/QUOTE]

Agreed

[/QUOTE]

Steven~

Love your new avatar.  I loved the old man as a kid, good memories of NH vacations.  The air up there is so sweet you can almost taste it!

I was so sad when the old man lost his face Frown

[/QUOTE]

Me too

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And praisedby the Buck/McCarver duo.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ugh

Sections
Shortcuts