Thank You Manager Jim for Your Signature Move of Incompetence: Series Tied 1-1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Re: Thank You Manager Jim for Your Signature Move of Incompetence: Series Tied 1-1

According to Wikipedia, it's happened 6 times in MLB history as noted below:

" This is only done in the rarest of cases, typically when the pitching team is leading by four runs or less late in the game and a particularly feared hitter is at the plate. The six players given such passes are Abner Dalrymple (1881), Nap Lajoie (1901), Del Bissonette (1928), Bill Nicholson (1944), Barry Bonds (1998), and Josh Hamilton (2008). In all six cases, the pitching team went on to win the game.[4][5] "

I remember well the Barry Bonds one, it was amazing to watch and a testament to his fearsome prowess at the plate. IMO Leyland did exactly what he should have, pitched to Ortiz. It just so happens that our beloved Big Papi hurt them this time, further enshrining himself as one of my favorite Red Sox players of all time. Go Red Sox!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Thank You Manager Jim for Your Signature Move of Incompetence: Series Tied 1-1

"How about the now back up short stop Igelias coming up with the big error. They don't win in the 9th without him."

Right - but that conflicts with softy's narrative so it has to be ignored.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Another thread where the Softfireman is proven to be an ignorant fool here to troll and attack others. What a loser!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In fact, Manager Jim said he'd walk Pujols with the bases loaded. He was correct then, but quite incompetent, last night.

[/QUOTE]

Pujols had pop. According to the resident clown, Papi has no pop, so the call was the right thing, right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If he doesn't pitch to Ortiz, up 4 runs in the 9th, walks Ortiz, Napoli and the entire Red Sox roster are down 2-0. 

Reminds me of the time I said softlaw was all wet for thinking SD would take Ellsbury and Lowrie for AGon. I suggested they might take Kelly, Rizzo and Bowden.

When the deal went down, it came out almost exactly like I called it, but softy claimed he was right- I was wrong, because the "SD management was incompetent for not demanding Ellsbury and Lowrie."

No matter what happens, softy finds a way to spin it into an "I told you so" moment.

Clown spin from the resident clown.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Case closed?

You said Papi had "no pop". If that was so, he is no Barroid Bonds.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Now, a show of mice, folks. State, "yes" or "no" on whether you walk Ortiz in that situation.

I'll start.

Yes without any doubt whatsoever

[/QUOTE]

No.  As a RS fan, I'd have been quite comfortable with Berry as the tying run at 1st with Napoli up.  You don't have to do too much more than slap the ball off the wall for Berry to score with 2 outs.

And considering their BP, even a single makes it a one-run game going into the 9th.

Having said that, I also would not have any particular issue with the manager walking him either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Never underestimate the power of Domincian Shakes.

[/QUOTE]

More spin.

You never cease.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Now, a show of mice, folks. State, "yes" or "no" on whether you walk Ortiz in that situation.

I'll start.

[/QUOTE]

No.  As a RS fan, I'd have been quite comfortable with Berry as the tying run at 1st with Napoli up.  You don't have to do too much more than slap the ball off the wall for Berry to score with 2 outs.

And considering their BP, even a single makes it a one-run game going into the 9th.

Having said that, I also would not have any particular issue with the manager walking him either.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli had a better XBH% than Papi's HR% this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'll start.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Napoli had a better XBH% than Papi's HR% this year.

[/QUOTE]

That's kind of what I was thinking about.  Napoli has 63 XBHs in 498 ABs.  Some are ground-rule doubles or hard-hit doubles that wouldn't score Berry, but some are HRs.  To make it easy, ignore both issues.  So the chances are far better that Napoli ties it up than Papi ties it up.

Up to that point, it is an easy decision to pitch to Papi.  However, Napoli has also been in a slump.  That needs to be considered.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

You're suggesting that Leyland walk in a run intentionally?  Think I've only seen that once in 40+ years of watching.

[/QUOTE]

That would have been the right move, and I thought that before the fact; oh, and letting Scherzer start the 8th. This pitch count obssession nowadays, especially in the PS, is ridiculous.

I know it was a different time, but Gibson or Koufax would have never come out of that game; they both pitched CG Victories in Game 7 on 1 day rest, and won. Gibson tired in the end, but finished. Koufax had no curve, his best pitch, so only threw spotted fastballs after the first inning, and won 2-0, with 10Ks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You're suggesting that Leyland walk in a run intentionally?  Think I've only seen that once in 40+ years of watching.

[/QUOTE]

That would have been the right move, and I thought that before the fact; oh, and letting Scherzer start the 8th. This pitch count obssession nowadays, especially in the PS, is ridiculous.

I know it was a different time, but Gibson or Koufax would have never come out of that game; they both pitched CG Victories in Game 7 on 1 day rest, and won. Gibson tired in the end, but finished. Koufax had no curve, his best pitch, so only threw spotted fastballs after the first inning, and won 2-0, with 10Ks.

[/QUOTE]

There are a couple of issues with that.

1-This isn't the WS.  Scherzer still has 3 starts to make.  If Scherzer throws 130 pitches, and they win 4-0, then Leyland gets excoriated for keeping him in in a game they won easily.

2-Back in the old days, a WS check might be 50% of your salary for the year.  There is a monetary motivation then, but not now.  Like it or not, guys like Scherzer might be looking at $100M contracts.  If I were a player, I couldn't just ignore that.

3-I think it is a bench decision.  We don't really know how tired he was.  I don't even know the 7th inning velocity.

4-Having said that, I'd have probably tried to squeeze 1-2 more batters out of him and tried to go straight from Scherzer to a 4-5 out save.  Still, the BP is supposed to be able to protect a 4-run lead for one inning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why should Leyaland intentionally walk a "Punch & Judy hitter" with bat speed "no better than Iglesias"?

(quotes from softy)

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9825714/alcs-jim-leyland-detroit-tigers-claims-responsibility-david-ortiz-game-2-grand-slam

I rest my case, stooge. Nice that I did what the media failed to do, report without marketing filters.

Context of your prevarication, on the poster you are obssessed with, "Softy", that was in a long commentary on the state of Ortiz's bat speed, at that time only, when he came off the DL back in the spring. 

[/QUOTE]

Loser, with a capital "Lou"!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Let's see, now.  In 133 seasons of MLB history, hitters have been walked with the bases loaded exactly 6 times  or once every 22 years.  Based on those numbers--which overwhelmingly support the notion that walking anyone with the bases loaded is very rarely a good idea--redsoxfireman continues to say that not walking Ortiz Sunday night was proof of Leyland's incompetence. 

This reminds me so much of the song by Richard Gere in the movie Chicago, you know, the one with the line, "Razzle-dazzle 'em."  We can be pretty sure redsoxfireman is a lawyer and we all know that when arguing a case a lawyer can and must use every rhetorical trick in the book.  Or as Jonathon Swift once wrote, "lawyers are a breed of men taught from an early age to say that black is white or white is black depending on how they are paid." 

My vote is that Leyland is very competent.  He's managed for 22 years and won the WS once.  Before he arrived in Detroit, the franchise was languishing.  Since his arrival they regularly compete for the AL Central title, the AL Championship, and the World Series.  He has forgotten more baseball than redsoxfireman will ever know.  At the point at which he did not not order the IBB, Ortiz had yet to get a hit against the Tigers and had been struck out 4 times.  He had his best reliever, his closer, on the mound, a pitcher with a pretty good changeup among other pitches. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Leyland only said he should have told his pitcher to pitch carefully.  In fact, he was shielding his closer from blames, which most managers do routinely, especially when their teams are still in the hunt for the WS. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

wait...what???

is someone actually stating/suggesting/insinuating that papi should have been intentionally walked?  are you insane?  walk the tying run and bring the go-ahead run to the plate?  no flippin' way.  you never, ever, ever would do that. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

hahaha....those are fantastic stats for a manager to justify.  well you know folks...it worked back in 1881 when bats were the size of canoe oars and it took a 600' shot to reach the fence.

terrible idea hayseed.  the entire baseball community would be holding an intervention for Leyland right now if he had IBB'd ortiz and brought the go-ahead run to the plate. 

Sections
Shortcuts