Thank You Manager Jim for Your Signature Move of Incompetence: Series Tied 1-1

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Thank You Manager Jim for Your Signature Move of Incompetence: Series Tied 1-1

Still waiting on why any manager would walk a "punch and Judy hitter with a bat speed no greater than Iggy".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Thank You Manager Jim for Your Signature Move of Incompetence: Series Tied 1-1

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he doesn't pitch to Ortiz, up 4 runs in the 9th, walks Ortiz, Napoli and the entire Red Sox roster are down 2-0. 

As a Red Sox fan, I give thanks for the other Manager's incompetent decisions. 

I evaluated this game correctly as pressure on Tigers, series evenly matched, and good news for the Red Sox. I said Game 2 was more important than Game 1, and it was.

This series heads to Detroit, tied, where Game 4 will be more important than Game 3. 

Folks, we're all even, and all now know that this aint the Rays.

[/QUOTE]

I thought we might bump this little beauty up one more time. 

Just so we have the record straight, redsoxfireman predicted game 3--the huge win last night against Verlander, who was in the process of breaking postseason records in consecutive shutout innings--would be almost meaningless.  Ignore game 3, he told us.  Focus on game 4.  Me, I only said all games in the ALCS were and are important.  What was I thinking? 

Oh, and the Sox did not deserve the win in game 2 because Jim Leyland, a WS winning manager who has 22 years experience and has been the key to the Tigers resurgence over the past several years, is incompetent.  No credit to Ortiz for an astounding grand slam home run because, according to redsoxdirtdog, that dinger was inevitable the instant Leyland did not tell his closer to walk him intentionally.  That's after Ortiz had gone hitless in two ALCS games including four K's.  Inevitable.  Right. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Teakus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to Wikipedia, it's happened 6 times in MLB history as noted below:

" This is only done in the rarest of cases, typically when the pitching team is leading by four runs or less late in the game and a particularly feared hitter is at the plate. The six players given such passes are Abner Dalrymple (1881), Nap Lajoie (1901), Del Bissonette (1928), Bill Nicholson (1944), Barry Bonds (1998), and Josh Hamilton (2008). In all six cases, the pitching team went on to win the game.[4][5] "

I remember well the Barry Bonds one, it was amazing to watch and a testament to his fearsome prowess at the plate. IMO Leyland did exactly what he should have, pitched to Ortiz. It just so happens that our beloved Big Papi hurt them this time, further enshrining himself as one of my favorite Red Sox players of all time. Go Red Sox!!

[/QUOTE]

This does not say that the batter would be the winning run if put on base. That was the issue, not the fact that the bases were loaded.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

wait...what???

is someone actually stating/suggesting/insinuating that papi should have been intentionally walked?  are you insane?  walk the tying run and bring the go-ahead run to the plate?  no flippin' way.  you never, ever, ever would do that. 

According to Wikipedia, it's happened 6 times in MLB history as noted below:

" This is only done in the rarest of cases, typically when the pitching team is leading by four runs or less late in the game and a particularly feared hitter is at the plate. The six players given such passes are Abner Dalrymple (1881), Nap Lajoie (1901), Del Bissonette (1928), Bill Nicholson (1944), Barry Bonds (1998), and Josh Hamilton (2008). In all six cases, the pitching team went on to win the game.[4][5] "

[/QUOTE]

I mentioned this in a post earlier in the season; since the subject has arisen, I'll repeat it.  I had the good fortune to chat with  Jim " Mudcat" Grant at a golf tournament this summer (a wonderful man, by the way). He told me that he was ahead by 2 runs against the sox, and walked Ted Williams   Intentionally with the bases loaded.  His words: " I wasn't going to let him beat me". He said he struck the next batter (Jackie Jensen) out.  Won the game.  No mention of a manager decision. Don't know why Wikipedia didn't have it, but the more I think of it, it was probably the other kind of "intentional", which has probably happened as much as the official intentionals.

Sections
Shortcuts