Thank You, Terry Francona Installment #2 of Over 600

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Thank You, Terry Francona Installment #2 of Over 600

Thank you, Terry,

It is so easy for folks to find something to pick on.  I must be from another generation, because your chewing sunflower seeds and spitting (or what ever you were chewing and spitting) became a target of naysayers.  Weak.  All you did was lead the team to the best outcomes in a century.  That's all.  And they picked on you for sitting and spitting ...

As I grew up most ball players had something to spit out of their mouths.  It was always a nasty habit.  I recall a Sports Illustrated article that covered the variants of chaw in mouths.  Tobacco, gum, both ... etc. and etc.  I also recall a sophomore season when we (outfielders) were shagging balls and one guys pulled out a plug of Red Man ... I detest it so I didn't participate, out of 8 of us, only one other didn't take a chunk ... so funny when a few minutes later (really worrying for some at the time) one OFer started to choke and spit up.  Dipstick SWALLOWED the juice!!!  Then a few minutes later, a second literally fell over sick ... he too, swallowed.
         No one wanted to admit they didn't know what they were doing ... so they joined in and YURP!!!!   So funny.  Pride.  Ignorance.  :o)  

Claims have been made you inherited a championship team.

Really?

Then why hadn't they won any?

We already had greats like Pedro, Manny, Papi and so on, all of whom I loved at the time.  

But you brought something to the picture.

You, sitting there, spitting, looking placid, brought something to the picture that none of the other managers before you did.

There have been endless arguments here about who was better than you as a manager.  But ....none of them got the results that you did.  Funny, isn't it?  In spite of how well you did, others got more credit.  The irony is shameful.

I suppose I could have gone on living without a World Series crown, Terry.  (And I ask for your forgiveness in being so informal as to use your first name, since we have never met nor is it likely we will.)  Heck, I had already done so.  Since 1962, I had enjoyed and suffered through the same highs and lows as other Sox fans.

And then you came along.

I honestly second guessed the decision, but my baseball knowledge is really quite limited.  Especially concerning baseball leadership.

But Curt Schilling's trust in you immediately bought my full support.  BEFORE the Red Sox won the crown.

I want to continue to thank you, sir.  You deserve it in my mind.  For about 730 days, we Sox fans were given something none of us have had before.  The pleasure, the thrill of being the DEFENDING WORLD SERIES CHAMPS.  Hot Dog, that was nice.  The wins were the best, but for a whole season, we were the defenders.  

I know some will complain we didn't defend the crown either time.   We were competitive, though.

But neither is the point.  The point is YOU DID IT, so we enjoyed the fruit of that accomplishment! 

At least I did.  And do.

And I want you to know, going away, that there have been those of us who supported you all along.

I'm not going to lie and say we agreed with every decision, that would make this effort a farce.

But we supported you against the naysayers.  We supported you with the club.  We supported you with a sense of appreciation that only your regime brought.  

As you go away, realize there are countless fans who think the world of you and we thank you.

I will, sir, keep on saying thank you.  It is only appropriate.  We have lived in the shadow of our history, all the while loving the Red Sox.  But we have broken through those cloud covered years to bathe in the sun, while you somehow sat and spit and led the Red Sox to the mountain top twice.

Thank you for that rare air, for that pinnacle sun ...go into the days ahead with great satisfaction, sir, that only you have made this happen.  And thank you for doing it.

My on going thanks, 

and Fenway always in my heart,

SinceYaz

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Thank You, Terry Francona Installment #2 of Over 600

:o)

Funny, isn't it, that when the dancing stops, that's when we wish we could still do it?  I used to run "overdistance" (mile and cross country).  It was satisfying but up to 10 miles a day was gruling.  Now, with old arthir in the joints and bone on bone in the hips, running isn't allowed.  I look like a drunk turtle jogging across a road.  SO embarassing....

We will miss Tito.  I think I already do.  

Good post.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

AMEN

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SculEsqare. Show SculEsqare's posts

Boy-cott, hold back, stop supporting them financially, go to no games, buy no apparel ignore them completely. Sounds like its talk about a car company, clothing chain or grocery store not our beloved Red Sox! Where were you the last decade? After 2004 the new packaged Sox became Red Sox Nation. Everyone loves a winner, especially a team that has been coursed for so long. Now what? Turn you back, run from adversity, and throw them to the wolves. I lived through Sox hart break for years. Get over it.  This was the best Red Sox Decade ever. Too bad my Dad and grandfather, uncles and their friends never got to see.it. Sitting on the back porch on a Saturday afternoon, the longtime "voice" of the Sox, Curt Gowdy play by play, a bottle or two of Schlitz, sub sandwiches from Vinnie’s, life was good: except the chances of the sox winning were slim to none. They never gave up, year after year, game after game, always that someday. For those of you too young to feel it it’s not only a game, it’s in your blood, there still family. The past decade and most of it under Tito’s management we got to watch ball in October, ask the real old timers about that new experience!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Great post, Yaz. Nice to see someone else feels the loss. I'm going to miss seeing him in the dugout. I'm sad to see it end like that. Kinda hard to wrap your brain around.

Thank you, Tito, for all you've done for the Sox and Sox fans.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A few comments  

SY, a great post. Many fans want tacticial perfection from their mgr, and as a result complained constantly about arguably the greatest Mgr in Sox History (But Dick Williams is up there too).

Kim, welcome back.

2004Idiots; Ann Miller passed; she would have been 88 if she was still around (Probably add 5-10 yrs to that, I saw her tap dancing in Stage Door, a '37 Movie, and she was no 14) ; nice tidbit about Astaire, though. I met her in the late '60s due to a friend who was in Annie Get Your Gun with her (he was a child star at the time).

SculEsqare; was Gowdy still a RS commentator during the Impossible Dream season?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SculEsqare. Show SculEsqare's posts

nhsteven
    I may be wrong I think it was Ned Martin and Ken Colman? 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SculEsqare. Show SculEsqare's posts

In Response to Re: Thank You, Terry Francona Installment #2 of Over 600:
    [QUOTE]A few comments   SY, a great post. Many fans want tacticial perfection from their mgr, and as a result complained constantly about arguably the greatest Mgr in Sox History (But Dick Williams is up there too). Kim, welcome back. 2004Idiots; Ann Miller passed; she would have been 88 if she was still around (Probably add 5-10 yrs to that, I saw her tap dancing in Stage Door , a '37 Movie, and she was no 14) ; nice tidbit about Astaire, though. I met her in the late '60s due to a friend who was in Annie Get Your Gun with her (he was a child star at the time). SculEsqare; was Gowdy still a RS commentator during the Impossible Dream season?
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdf2. Show jdf2's posts

[QUOTE]AMEN
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Just a reminder that this year they finished third.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank You, Terry Francona Installment #2 of Over 600 : Just a reminder that this year they finished third.
    Posted by jdf2[/QUOTE]

Just a reminder ... they finished 19 games out my first year as a fan.  Fifth place, I think, out of the AL ... no divisions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]:o)    Funny, isn't it, that when the dancing stops, that's when we wish we could still do it?  I used to run "overdistance" (mile and cross country).  It was satisfying but up to 10 miles a day was gruling.  Now, with old arthir in the joints and bone on bone in the hips, running isn't allowed.  I look like a drunk turtle jogging across a road.  SO embarassing....   We will miss Tito.  I think I already do.     Good post.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to picture this. Is this the final solution for fans like us?