Thank You Terry Francona

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Thank You Terry Francona

I realize that this board is about 50/50 on Terry Francona's managing, but let's give credit where credit is due. Tito managed the Red Sox longer than anyone but Joe Cronin. Along the way he helped develop Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Jon Lester, Daniel Bard and Johnathan Papelbon. Only 8 managers in Red Sox history have a higher winning pct. than Tito, including surprisingly Don Zimmer and Grady Little, and the Sox won 2 world championships under his stewardship (the first 2 in my lifetime). Whatever anyone may think about his managing style he was ridden hard and put away wet on his way out of town. I think Mr. Francona deserves a big thank you from the Red Sox fans on this forum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Thank You Terry Francona

Carnie,

I'm with you all the way.  There is a lot to appreciate about Tito's time here.  Glad you brought it up.  Good post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Thanks for checking in my friend. I doubt Tito reads this board, but if he does it would be nice for him to know at least some of us appreciate what he did here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Thank You Terry Francona:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for checking in my friend. I doubt Tito reads this board, but if he does it would be nice for him to know at least some of us appreciate what he did here.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Until I changed my tag line a couple days ago, I still had a word of thanks for/to him.

Not any virtue in that, just the fact that I appreciate the 8 years and all it brought us.  I know someone is gonna suggest he allowed the collapse, but if he hadn't had us so high up there, we wouldn't know how far the fall was!

Keep up the good good word, my friend!!!!   :oD

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucky-dent. Show bucky-dent's posts

In response to "Thank You Terry Francona": [QUOTE]I realize that this board is about 50/50 on Terry Francona's managing, but let's give credit where credit is due. Tito managed the Red Sox longer than anyone but Joe Cronin. Along the way he helped develop Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Jon Lester, Daniel Bard and Johnathan Papelbon. Only 8 managers in Red Sox history have a higher winning pct. than Tito, including surprisingly Don Zimmer and Grady Little, and the Sox won 2 world championships under his stewardship (the first 2 in my lifetime). Whatever anyone may think about his managing style he was ridden hard and put away wet on his way out of town. I think Mr. Francona deserves a big thank you from the Red Sox fans on this forum. Posted by carnie[/QUOTE] As a Yankee fan I'm glad he is gone. It's about time the sox fans wake up and realize what they had with him.this guy was good for Boston and for baseball. I'm still suffering from 04! My shrink sez I'll never get over it. I my eyes Terry got a bad rap for last year. The blame should lie on the front office the team got old and they hadnt found proper replacements. They should of brought one in and developed at their own pace. But they let the entire team get old. And Terry gets the blame and the boot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

thank you for leaving...yes

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

There is seriously no love for Tito around here is there?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

carnie...isnt it sort of pathetic to bring this thread up given his firing and the new season under way? Im never one to tell anyone what to write but cmon - that train has left the station 6 months ago - move on already

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

This OP, although meant well I am sure, is very, very old news.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]carnie...isnt it sort of pathetic to bring this thread up given his firing and the new season under way? Im never one to tell anyone what to write but cmon - that train has left the station 6 months ago - move on already
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

This is one of the most laughable things you've ever posted. Why do you remember those words yourself? You've gone out of your way to bash Tito over the past six months, ripping him in posts that had nothing to do with him.

Most of us have moved on, yet you're the one who has been stuck in the past.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Hmm ... 86 years is old news.   Old, tiring, news ...

2004 is still new, 2007 is still new ...
      So appreciation for Francona for helping it happen isn't going to get old for a long, long time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I'll always give terry francona credit. 2 rings pretty much speak for themselves.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In the end, Tito was up against something that he could not manage by himself.

He needed backup. He was man enough to admit it. He called for the cavalry and everyone who could have sent help decided to let the phone go to voicemail.

The FO, the players, everyone in a position to help just decided to let him - and us - down.

No, Tito manned up.  I have no doubt.

I am happy that he spent eight years with the Red Sox and had two WS rings.

Now he has the perfect job. It will let him leverage his basebal acumen, make some money, and repair his life.

And he deserves it. Tito left everything on the field. 

Thanking him will never get old for me.

I owe him more than one beer. We all do, IMO.

Here endeth the lesson.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In the end, Tito was up against something that he could not manage by himself. He needed backup. He was man enough to admit it. He called for the cavalry and everyone who could have sent help decided to let the phone go to voicemail. The FO, the players, everyone in a position to help just decided to let him - and us - down. No, Tito manned up.  I have no doubt. I am happy that he spent eight years with the Red Sox and had two WS rings. Now he has the perfect job. It will let him leverage his basebal acumen, make some money, and repair his life. And he deserves it. Tito left everything on the field.  Thanking him will never get old for me. I owe him more than one beer. We all do, IMO. Here endeth the lesson. .
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

They all did just kinda let him dangle out there by himself and take the fall. Bunch of cowards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In the end, Tito was up against something that he could not manage by himself. He needed backup. He was man enough to admit it. He called for the cavalry and everyone who could have sent help decided to let the phone go to voicemail. The FO, the players, everyone in a position to help just decided to let him - and us - down. No, Tito manned up.  I have no doubt. I am happy that he spent eight years with the Red Sox and had two WS rings. Now he has the perfect job. It will let him leverage his basebal acumen, make some money, and repair his life. And he deserves it. Tito left everything on the field.  Thanking him will never get old for me. I owe him more than one beer. We all do, IMO. Here endeth the lesson. .
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Well said. And he's always handled himself with class and treated his players with respect. That's what makes his critics on this board disgusting. It's fine if you want to disagree with strategy. Hey -- that's the beauty of sports. But the way they've gone about it in ripping him was way out of line.

Some posters show they have no class -- that they can't disagree in a respectful manner. But I guess that's par for the course in today's society.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Here is what I posted on another thread in regards to comments that the RS should have been a dynasty and that Francona inherited a WS team

Dynasty you do realize there were in season changes in 2004 that helped and maybe were the reason why the RS won the 04 WS.
    BTW....From 03 to 04 only 2 SP were the same, 2 of the BP were the same and 3 of the 9 starters were different. NONE of the bench players were the same. So that means out of 25 players in who were on the team in April of 2003 only 10 remaind on the 04 WS team
    So please stop saying it was the same team and should have won with anyone managing.
    Your and others contention that it was the same team for the 9 years Francona was manager is a joke. As is the contention the 2003 and 2004 team were one in the same.

I will add that over the years the pitching was different every year especially the BP, that there were injuries to work around, that there were on average 5 different players on the team each year. They went thru 6 SS, 4 3Rd, 5 2nd, 4/5 LF, 4 CF, 3 RF, . 

The whole contention that he had the same team each year and did not MANAGE is pure BS
    IMHO he did a helluva job

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

A team wins no championships for 85 years, then wins 2 in 4 years.  It seems kind of absurd to have no gratitude for the manager of the team that won the 2.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank You Terry Francona : This is one of the most laughable things you've ever posted. Why do you remember those words yourself? You've gone out of your way to bash Tito over the past six months, ripping him in posts that had nothing to do with him. Most of us have moved on, yet you're the one who has been stuck in the past.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

yea Roy, I guess you see my threads all the time that say "Thank God Francona fired" or "lets remember how lousy a field manager he was"....i didnt start this stupidity, and im not the one trying to justify my support for this guy after everything i said about him: his weakness, his conditioning flaws, his decisionmaking turned out to be true"...there is no need for me to do this because i was right about him...i have said on half a dozen ocassions that in 2004 his calmness against the Yanks down 3-0 was key to our comeback...i have posted many times the things that i saw that he did well - i also believed his players backstabbed him last spetember and he deserved better - but he also made his own bed....and now that he lies in it forever, some cant accept that....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Almost all managers are hired to be fired.  Very few get to leave on their own terms.  Torre won 4 titles with the Yankees but was booted eventually.  Francona lasted 8 years in Boston, which is a major feat in itself.  The ending was ugly, unfortunately.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Almost all managers are hired to be fired.  Very few get to leave on their own terms.  Torre won 4 titles with the Yankees but was booted eventually.  Francona lasted 8 years in Boston, which is a major feat in itself.  The ending was ugly, unfortunately.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Given the toll that managing in big markets has on ones time and the strain it places on ones personal life (remember these guys are husbands & fathers too). That Francona lasted 8 years is remarkable. His undoing and the circumstances that have come to light since his depature, only serve to highlight just how well he did during the highs of his tenure. One has to have pretty think skin to sit in the chair of the manager of a big league club. Those that choose to belittle his accomplishments IMHO do so with little regard for facts and clearly lack any historical perspective. Managers as they say are hired to be fired, it's not a question of if, but when. In the more than 100 years of history of Red Sox Baseball few if any of his predisessors measure up to Francona's accomplishments. To paint him otherwise is to be ingnorant.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Tito should never have to buy his own drink in Boston for as long as he lives. The 2 W.S. speak for themselves. I thought he did a great job during his time with the Sox, just unfortunate the way things ended. IMO, Valentine has some big shoes to fill.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If the Sox don't choke Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, Grady wouldn't have been fired. Had the Sox not choke Game 162, 2011, in all likelyhood, Tito would not have been fired. With that said, I criticized Tito a lot on little things, but I never called for his daily firing the way I did for Jimy W. I was fine with him managing the Sox as long as he wanted to manage them. He won 2 WS titles and that's good enough for a long career as a manager. The Sox brass pushed him out the door, and Theo left too.  Maybe it was time for him to go, or maybe not. I appreciate his leadership qualities and his ability to rally his team over a course of a long season with ups and downs. Few managers have had his overall success. Tip my hat to Tito.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from HoleinOne402. Show HoleinOne402's posts

When you consider the results and who he managed-Petro, Manny, and all the other Cowboy Up Crowd, great job by Terry.

Sections
Shortcuts