Thank You Terry Francona

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Thank You Terry Francona

I've tried to keep a balanced view on Tito, Theo and others. I'm happy that a nice guy like Tito has two rings to remember, and years from now, he will be remembered fondly.

To oversimplify things a bit, this team we have now was not going to succeed with a "nice guy" manager. For all the good Tito did, including the nurturing of kids like Pedey, Ellsbury and others mentioned by Carnie, there are also examples of turning a blind eye and allowing some things to go on unchecked: Manny being Manny, Papi not hustling, Beckett being Becket, players keeping injuries secret, cronyism, rigidities of his own making, over-loyalty to his failing 3B coaches, and more. I realize coddling of superstars is common across the league and even the very best managers do it to some extent, but seeing papi hustle down the line in a spring training game for God's sake, tell me that a manager can make a difference. 

I am thankful for what Tito did for us, but feel like his time had come. I do feel bad about the way the parting was handled, but that is par for this organization when it comes to saying goodbye to key parts of our winning teams.

Thanks Tito and good luck with your future!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't disagree that Tito's time had come or that we needed a change. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Thank You Terry Francona:
    [QUOTE]I've tried to keep a balanced view on Tito, Theo and others. I'm happy that a nice guy like Tito has two rings to remember, and years from now, he will be remembered fondly. To oversimplify things a bit, this team we have now was not going to succeed with a "nice guy" manager. For all the good Tito did, including the nurturing of kids like Pedey, Ellsbury and others mentioned by Carnie, there are also examples of turning a blind eye and allowing some things to go on unchecked: Manny being Manny, Papi not hustling, Beckett being Becket, players keeping injuries secret, cronyism, rigidities of his own making, over-loyalty to his failing 3B coaches, and more. I realize coddling of superstars is common across the league and even the very best managers do it to some extent, but seeing papi hustle down the line in a spring training game for God's sake , tell me that a manager can make a difference.  I am thankful for what Tito did for us, but feel like his time had come. I do feel bad about the way the parting was handled, but that is par for this organization when it comes to saying goodbye to key parts of our winning teams. Thanks Tito and good luck with your future!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

well said Moon

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]I've tried to keep a balanced view on Tito, Theo and others. I'm happy that a nice guy like Tito has two rings to remember, and years from now, he will be remembered fondly. To oversimplify things a bit, this team we have now was not going to succeed with a "nice guy" manager. For all the good Tito did, including the nurturing of kids like Pedey, Ellsbury and others mentioned by Carnie, there are also examples of turning a blind eye and allowing some things to go on unchecked: Manny being Manny, Papi not hustling, Beckett being Becket, players keeping injuries secret, cronyism, rigidities of his own making, over-loyalty to his failing 3B coaches, and more. I realize coddling of superstars is common across the league and even the very best managers do it to some extent, but seeing papi hustle down the line in a spring training game for God's sake , tell me that a manager can make a difference.  I am thankful for what Tito did for us, but feel like his time had come. I do feel bad about the way the parting was handled, but that is par for this organization when it comes to saying goodbye to key parts of our winning teams. Thanks Tito and good luck with your future!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Agreed, moon. His time had come. 

But the way he was replaced - and humiliated going out the door - with the talk of drug dependency and divorce, regardless of whether any of it was true - was just despicable, IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank You Terry Francona : Agreed, moon. His time had come.  But the way he was replaced - and humiliated going out the door - with the talk of drug dependency and divorce, regardless of whether any of it was true - was just despicable, IMO.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

i agree with this as well...i never thought much of him as a manager but he was loyal and had real affection for his players - they backstabbed him big time...sickening

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

[QUOTE] As Dad would say........  "Son, the world will soooon forget what you did for them yesterday, as the lib/left/rad/soc/moonbats only want to know what can you do for them today & tomorrow" !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    bump