Thanks Jason Varitek!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Thanks Jason Varitek!

Retiring this Thursday.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Thanks Jason Varitek!

Dear Jason, thank you for the great momories, for being a leader on the greatest run of Sox success in history, for being such a stand-up baseball guy, and for retiring a Red Stocking.  Love- Spaceman E.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Forced his hand, but it's time. He represented the organization as well as any Sox player, past or present. Thanks for the best decade in Red Sox history and good Luck, Jason

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Jason Varitek!:
    [QUOTE]Forced his hand, but it's time.He represented the organization well as any Sox player. Good Luck Jason
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Its true J.  But, a little awkward tension pushing him to see the light is very soon forgotten.  And, waaay better, for him and for all, than him taking some backup job in another uni just to carry on.  Glad he is going out a Sox ... Sock .. Stocking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

We should all appreciate what Jason has done for the Sox during his time here.He was an integral part of the only 2 Red Sox championships I've witnessed (so far).I hope they bring him back as a bullpen catcher or other position so he can continue working with the pitching staff.He has a lot of knowledge to offer them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Best wishes to Jason, to whom I will always be grateful.  This is a bittersweet moment for me, as I hate to see his playing career come to an end, but I understand and agree that it is the right decision.  I'm so very glad that he is retiring as a Red Sox.  Thanks for the memories!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Good luck in your future endeavours, Jason.
    Thanks for 14 years of great baseball memories (not to mention feeding A-rod a little leather appetizer).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Congratulations to a great career in MLB Jason.

Good Luck in your next endeavor. (coaching)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Great Sox player, great baseball player.

Will Boston retire his number?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Thanks, Jason, for a major contribution to two titles.  And thanks to Dan Duquette for pulling off one of the swindles of the century bringing you and D-Lowe to Boston for Heathcliff Slocumb.  That was one of the moves that turned this franchise around.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan1967. Show soxfan1967's posts

Retire #33.  Thanks for the memories Jason.  You and Fisk are my will like in 'Sox lore forever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A few years back I started the infamous "No Manny-No Rings" thread that spiraled out of control for months and months. Shortly afterwards, I started a "No Papi- No Rings" thread and a "No Varitek-No Rings" thread. Those two were less controversial and were hundreds of pages less.

Jason is retiring Thursday. He wanted to continue on, and some including myself, think he could still contribute, but it wasn't meant to be. With Lava and Swihart in the wings, and Shoppach (also great vs LHPs) recently signed, it didn't make any sense to offer VTek a ML contract. "Thanks Jason Varitek!" is a nice title for a thread. All of us Sox fans should feel gratitude. Maybe now the bashing and outright hatred will end. I hope so!

Jason became our FT catcher in 1999 at age 27 (about the same age Salty is now). He hit 20 HRs that first full season with an .813 OPS. Other than his injury in 2001, VTek caught over 125 games every year until 2008. He ended up with 5 seasons over .800 (including 2001's short season) and 11 out of 13 seasons over .720. 

There's a common misconception by many posters on this site, led by Tek-hating softy (aka mr. hanky), that a catcher with a .720 OPS is somehow a liability to a team. Here's a look at some 3-4 years spans of VTek's career by OPS:

1999-2001:
    VTek 8th at .787
    15th:            .715

2002-2004:
    VTek 5th at .819
    15th:            .734

2005-2007:
    VTek 6th at .795
    15th:            .737

2008-2011:
    VTek 21st at .702
    15th               .726

Many will remember VTek's loss of arm strength, slower movements behind and in front of the plate, and diminishing offensive skills. Others like the silly clown want to gnaw on about his marital infedelities and defensive short-comings, but most us respect what VTek gave us even as a back-up the last couple years or so.  VTek has very steadily gotten the best out of the vast majority of our pitchers as compared to the other team catcher. The CERA debate has been a long one, but the fact is, most who discount it, don't even know what it means or the severely limited usage it has. The only way CERA and related stats should be used is to compare how the same pitchers do with each of the catchers on the same team. Using CERA to compare catchers from different teams is near useless. Using overall CERA to judge one catcher vs another on his own team is near useless as well, since one catcher will catch some pitchers much more than another and skew the data. harness did a lot of research on the data involved with VTek and our other catchers over the year, and the record is astonishing. Almost every single year, VTek got better results from more pitchers....sometimes by huge margins. This past year, it was something like 12 out of the top 15 pitchers by IP (I couldn't find my data that I complied earlier this winter). It's no wonder the team went 42-22 in 2011 under VTek and had a losing record in Salty games. Take away Beckett and VTek still went 22-12.  In 2010, we went 18-9 with VTek. 2009: 61-45.  2008: 73-47.  Even in his down offensive years, VTek was a winner.

That's how I'll always remeber VTek: a winner.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the faceplant to arod was his finest moment....thanks for the rings VTEK!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]   That's how I'll always remeber VTek: a winner.    
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Awesome post Moon!

Thanks for posting that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Thanks for the 10 very good years you gave us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]Great Sox player, great baseball player. Will Boston retire his number?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Out of most of the players that played for the sox in the last ten to twenty years he definately has a good chance except he has no chance at the hall of fame and i believe that is a requierment except for pesky and i think Rices number was retired before he achieved hall of fame status but hopefully Tek will recieve the same treatment. The man should never have to pay for a beer in boston!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucky-dent. Show bucky-dent's posts

Is he worthily of inshrinment?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Thank you Jason . It was the correct decision. Good luck to you and your family.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Thanks Tek for all the great memories and please come back to the organization and help this team~

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Thanks for all the great memories and two rings, Tek! Best of luck going forward in your life and I will forever have the image of you face planting ARoid....a true classic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

He may not be one of the greatest Red Sox catcher of all time, but he was one of the greatest leadership in the Red Sox history. A perfect guy to walk around the clubhouse, and go with his game plan for every single game.  Without him, I do not think the Red Sox would have won two world series titles.  Thank you Seattle for giving Veritek and Lowe.  Probably one of the best trade by GM Duke ever made.

He also created war between the Red Sox and A-Rod to continue the rivarly between Red Sox and the Yankees!!!  

Well, thank you for all the great memories!!!  He will not ever be forgotten!!

Time to come back to organization as a coach and he will be a perfect coach to make the team much stronger!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

As reported on Boston Sports; Veritek is expected to stay with organization in some capacity, but hasn't been announced what the position will be. May be waiting until after he announces retirement on Thursday

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]As reported on Boston Sports; Veritek is expected to stay with organization in some capacity, but hasn't been announced what the position will be. May be waiting until he announces retirement on Thursday
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Awesome!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Thanks for being the best gamecalling catcher in the history of baseball.  It wasn't a coincidence the franchise started trending up when he and Lowe came over in the Slocumb deal on August 31, 1997.  I remember watching this #47 guy catching this tall #43 guy in Montreal in Sept of 1997, thinking "these guys look pretty good".

Varitek and Lowe went on to change their numbers, obviously.

That still remains one of the biggest fleecejobs in baseball history. Pedro sure helped, as did Schilling later on, but the pitching staff was guided by the best, and that was Varitek.

He caught 4 no-hitters, most all time, and was 1 out away on two more (Pedro vs TB and Schilling vs Oak).  Not a coincidence.

Great career, blue collar player who always gave 100%.  More players should strive to play like he did.

He really lost his way offensively later in his career as most catchers do, but there's a reason why pitchers loved playing with him.    Also, his ability to block the plate rivals Mike Scioscia's and was on par with that skill each shared.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lexlib. Show lexlib's posts

thanks tek and congrats on a marvelous career. catching 4 no-no's is no light feat. hopefully we'll see you as a coach one day.