Thanks Jason Varitek!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Re: Thanks Jason Varitek!

In Response to Re: Thanks Jason Varitek!:
    [QUOTE]He is one of my all time favorite players but nothing annoys me more than when people on here continue to spell his name wrong. It is not VERITEK. It is VARITEK! 
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

lol

I always found that odd:

1. It's not a hard name to spell.
    2. He's been here for 15 years.
    3. The road jersey features the name right on the jersey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

one of the Sox' real gamers...always struck me as one of their more proud players and a pro whose time time has probably arrived

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Thank you Jason Varitek!  You were the face of the Sox for years despite being overshadowed by bigger personalities in the clubhouse.  You were the de facto leader of that team and the C you wore in later years was well deserved.  I have nothing but good memories and always appreciated you for your all out hustle. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"He has a terrific work ethic and leadership ability. He learned and became the best in the business at getting hitters out, which is the key part of the job." - Dan D.

VTek was great at the things that aren't easily quantifiable by stats.  Just look at what some of our pitchers are saying about him, and you'll see how much control he had over the direction of the game plan. Don't listen to the silly clown, softy, who will tell you that pitchers call their own games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Varitek was an important cog in bringing 2 WS titles to Boston, and he is to be commended for that always.  Now the Sox are to be commended for realizing that they can finish in 3rd without him...time to move on and let the past be where it belongs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He may not be one of the greatest Red Sox catcher of all time, but...

I stopped reading at the word "but".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4413657. Show user_4413657's posts

Good luck Varitek in whatever you choose to do from here on out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It's sad to see him go. Not one of my favorites but he put it all out there every day he played and for that I commend him.
    It's a shame that both of the Red Sox with the longest tenure have retired. Which begs the question, who is the old man now, Papi or Youk?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

just wanted to add....given all the head-to heads, and being front and center in the rivalry...kinda fitting he and Posada go out together...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A Seattle blogger in 2008 looked back to the 1997 trade of Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe:

http://www.proballnw.com/11-2008/dealing-lowe-and-varitek/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]A Seattle blogger in 2008 looked back to the 1997 trade of Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe: http://www.proballnw.com/11-2008/dealing-lowe-and-varitek/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

That trade put the Mariners back into the Dark Ages...

1997 Mariners was stacked offensively with Sorrento, A-Roid, Jr., Edgar, Buhner, Davis and Wilson...

They needed pen help big time and was "all-in"...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]just wanted to add....given all the head-to heads, and being front and center in the rivalry...kinda fitting he and Posada go out together...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete

The time is right for both of them.  I'm sure it's hard but father time catches up to us all as you recently reminded me Laughing
    I admired Tech because of his work ethic but I was a bit disappointed last year when he didn't take charge of his pitchers.  To me that was a sign that the caption should hang up his cleats.

I wouldn't be surprised if he and Posada got together for a beer, they may even throw in some chickenWink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks Jason Varitek! : Hey Jete The time is right for both of them.  I'm sure it's hard but father time catches up to us all as you recently reminded me I admired Tech because of his work ethic but I was a bit disappointed last year when he didn't take charge of his pitchers.  To me that was a sign that the caption should hang up his cleats. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Posada got together for a beer, they may even throw in some chicken
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

That makes sense that if Varitek went to Georgia Tech that his nickname would be Tech. Caption Jason Tech.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks Jason Varitek! : Hey Jete The time is right for both of them.  I'm sure it's hard but father time catches up to us all as you recently reminded me I admired Tech because of his work ethic but I was a bit disappointed last year when he didn't take charge of his pitchers.  To me that was a sign that the caption should hang up his cleats. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Posada got together for a beer, they may even throw in some chicken
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE] hey m'lady, i agree, they each became less featured in the offense and behind the plate, both were proud guys who have seen the best and worst of their teams...they both saw the writing...two hardnosed guys who have had the best seat in the house for some truly great pitching performances and will always be linked to the team's good fortunes..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhapsodyInBlue. Show RhapsodyInBlue's posts

Agreed, both V-Tek and Posada could prolong their careers in coaching. Time will tell, success from either would not be a surprise.

2 smart dudes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Varitek has been kicked to the curb, he isn't "retiring". Nice to see the welfare million dollar contract offers have ended for the best backup catcher in baseball history, according to Moonshwump.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Jason is retiring Thursday. He wanted to continue on, and some including myself, think he could still contribute, but it wasn't meant to be

There is a micsconception, lead by Moonshwemp/Moonbump, that an old catcher who has the agility of an 80 year old man is the best backup catcher in baseball by virtue of a part-time OPS catcher snipet.

I campaigned to kick these two old parasites to the curb, while Moonshwump was offering millions to retain them in a market that didn't exist. Needless to say, only the sentimental fools believed that the only market for these old washed up players has been Red Sox GM InEsptein's welfare contracts for white veterans who no longer produce.

I'm excited about the future for the Red Sox, which is fully underway with the removal of these two old parasites who took advantage of good will. I believe this team does not have the leadership and soldiers to win a championship, as is, and hope that the other problem contract profiles are shipped out and this half a billion dollar construction loser outfit is blown up with only the few merit profiles retained as the foundation for the new construction that will be be needed.  

It will be a few years before Varitek merits a return to good graces. He took advantage of the good will, and most definitely tarnished his baseball reputation. Single players who are popular always get too much credit for what is always an entire team effort. Varitek always received too much of the credit for the championship teams, which is not suprising at all for Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Jason was one of those players that made the rivalry between our two teams so special. He was the type of competitor that brought out the best in everyone who was on the fi eld with him, whether you were playing with him or against him. He should be very proud of the way he represented the Red Sox organization throughout the years. He played the game with passion and dignity, and regardless of the color of his uniform I will always have a great deal of respect for the way he went about his business, day after day, and year after year.” – Jorge Posada, Yankees catcher from 1996-2011.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Varitek has been kicked to the curb, he isn't "retiring". Nice to see the welfare million dollar contract offers have ended for the best backup catcher in baseball history, according to Moonshwump.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

What a jackazz.  The fact that you still feel the need to revel in myopic criticism of Tek's declining years, at this time, is truly incredible.  You really can't appreciate Varitek's career and what he has meant to the Red Sox?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Not to defend anyone but when some roll out stat after stat and paragraph upon paragraph on why they think Tek can still play you sometimes have to aim below the belt and crap on them.

If the "positive" posters want to drool and pant over Tek then the "negative" posters who have common sense on their side have to dish it out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Not to defend anyone but when some roll out stat after stat and paragraph upon paragraph on why they think Tek can still play you sometimes have to aim below the belt and crap on them. If the "positive" posters want to drool and pant over Tek then the "negative" posters who have common sense on their side have to dish it out.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

C'mon Burrito.  It is one thing to argue with a person if they are suggesting that Tek could and should keep playing; to say Tek has been much more of a liability than an asset in recent years and has only had a job because of his cache of respect.  Fine.  But does this negative twilight of his career really so outweigh all he has meant to the Red Sox and his career as a whole that there isn't even any respect for the man on the day of his retirement?  That seems strange to me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am glad he was here all these years and I am happy he retired. Its time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I am glad he was here all these years and I am happy he retired. Its time.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Amen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

What a jackazz.  The fact that you still feel the need to revel in myopic criticism of Tek's declining years, at this time, is truly incredible.  You really can't appreciate Varitek's career and what he has meant to the Red Sox?

I was the only poster and fan who campaigned to kick this guy to the curb! Pardon me if I am not ready to switch to nostalgia mode and praise what Varitek was paid over 100 million to do. I noted that years down the road, Varitek may return to good graces. For now, he belongs in purgatory, as those are his wages.

He is an example of fooligh pride and arrogance. Adhering to the "two consenting adults" religion and entitlement from prior works has damaged many innocent family members. My hope is that athletic mortality has breathed some much needed humility into his mind.